QB Development

AUTigergrad08

Here's an interesting topic.  We all see that Gus clearly is not capable of developing QBs.  So if you look at coach Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops or Dan Mullen, what do you think they do differently once the QB gets on campus that Gus isn't doing?  Is it more film work?  Is it calling different plays and putting them in position to be successful?  Is it preparing them for every outcome?  Is it a combo of all? What are they doing that Gus isn't?  

1 minute ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Here's an interesting topic.  We all see that Gus clearly is not capable of developing QBs.  So if you look at coach Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops or Dan Mullen, what do you think they do differently once the QB gets on campus that Gus isn't doing?  Is it more film work?  Is it calling different plays and putting them in position to be successful?  Is it preparing them for every outcome?  Is it a combo of all? What are they doing that Gus isn't?  

Stoops coaches his on how to be a traditional QB and recruits guys who specifically fit the mold.

Urban and Dan both alter their entire offensive scheme around a quarterback. Something we refuse to do.

We take some like Sean White, who should have an offense similar to Drew Brees' with the saints, and force him to try to be Nick Marshall.

Now we have a Jarrett Stidham trying to be forced into being a Brandon Weedon with terrible play calling and elementary like route trees.

But dear lord I'm tired of discussing qb development. Sean and Jarret would do exceptionally well in a quick HUNH short pass offense with a HB power here and there.

Playcalling I think. Our offense is designed in a way that if our opponent can stop the run we stay stuck in 3rd and 9s. That's just a hard spot to quarterback from. And game after game of doing that, our QBs can't get any better.

1 minute ago, War Knight said:

Stoops coaches his on how to be a traditional QB and recruits guys who specifically fit the mold.

Urban and Dan both alter their entire offensive scheme around a quarterback. Something we refuse to do.

We take some like Sean White, who should have an offense similar to Drew Brees' with the saints, and force him to try to be Nick Marshall.

Now we have a Jarrett Stidham trying to be forced into being a Brandon Weedon with terrible play calling and elementary like route trees.

But dear lord I'm tired of discussing qb development. Sean and Jarret would do exceptionally well in a quick HUNH short pass offense with a HB power here and there.

I don't disagree on the short passes but there seems to be a deeper issue in that AU QBs under Gus look like deer in headlights or have really bad fundamentals.  So something is missing in this dept with Gus

Just now, AUTigergrad08 said:

I don't disagree on the short passes but there seems to be a deeper issue in that AU QBs under Gus look like deer in headlights or have really bad fundamentals.  So something is missing in this dept with Gus

That's preparation. If I tell you someone is going to come kick you in the nuts and attack you from your right side you'll look pretty confident. If I throw you out there, don't prepare you, and I don't give you the freedom to make your own checks. Well I just doomed you didn't I?

Other than all of Gus's many failures with developing high school QB's lets look at Cam Newton's struggles in the NFL before Shula.

Cam didn't know how to break down film in the film room.

Cam would through of the wrong foot at times.

Cam couldn't read zone coverage and would just try to run the ball.

Cam didn't understand or want to stay in the pocket to give receivers time to get open.

What the heck did Gus ever teach him?

Archived