Bush is getting desperate

TexasTiger

At 9, He's Out Stumping for President's Social Security Plan

By GLEN JUSTICE

Published: February 26, 2005

ASHINGTON, Feb. 25 - The battle over Social Security has been joined by an unusual lobbyist, a 9-year-old from Texas who has agreed to travel supporting President Bush's proposal.

The boy, Noah McCullough, made a splash with his encyclopedic command of presidential history, earning five appearances on the "Tonight" show and some unusual experiences in the presidential campaign last year. He beat Howard Dean in a trivia contest at the Democratic National Convention and wrote for his local newspaper about his trip to see the inauguration.

"He's very patriotic and very Republican," said Noah's mother, Donna McCullough, a former teacher and self-described Democrat. "It's the way he was born."

In a sign of how far groups go to carry their message on Social Security, Progress for America has signed up Noah, a fourth grader, as a volunteer spokesman. He starts on spring break from James Williams Elementary School in Katy, Tex.

Progress for America, which spent almost $45 million backing Mr. Bush last year, plans to lay out $20 million on Social Security this year. It has spent $1 million on television commercials and is working to send experts around the country. Among them are Thomas Saving, a trustee of the Social Security Trust Fund; Rosario Marin, a former United States treasurer; and one really, really young Republican. Noah will not be eligible to collect Social Security for nearly 60 years.

Noah will travel to a handful of states ahead of visits by the president and will go on radio programs, answer trivia questions and say a few words about Social Security. Though he is obviously not an expert (and not really a lobbyist, either), officials say the effort is a lighthearted way to underline Mr. Bush's message.

"What I want to tell people about Social Security is to not be afraid of the new plan," Noah said. "It may be a change, but it's a good change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/26/politics/26lobby.html

Thanks, kid. That puts my Mom at ease.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see, the kid is a savant, very intelligent. THAT would scare a Dem, I guess.

The kid has a track record of being right. THAT would scare a Dem.

He is speaking our for himself and his age group by himself. THAT scares a Dem more than anything.

Informed-Intelligent folks taking care of themselves, and thinking for themselves. Could anything be more un-Democratic?

When little kids get on stage and make rehersed comments about Bush or Cheney ( see Dem Convention ), it's cute, adorable and honest. But when a kid speaks out on substantive issues that will affect his generation....Bush is getting desperate. Ok, I see how this works. Thanks for the clarification. :rolleyes:

Lets see, the kid is a savant, very intelligent. THAT would scare a Dem, I guess.

He is speaking our for himself and his age group by himself. THAT scares a Dem more than anything.

Informed-Intelligent folks taking care of themselves, and thinking for themselves. Could anything be more un-Democratic?

148453[/snapback]

He's a bright nine year old who has memorized a lot of trivia. There is no evidence that he has any skill or expertise in substantive policy analysis. He's kinda of a carnival act, but as a modern day Republican, you don't know the difference.

When little kids get on stage and make rehersed comments about Bush or Cheney ( see Dem Convention ), it's cute, adorable and honest. But when a kid speaks out on substantive issues that will affect his generation....Bush is getting desperate. Ok, I see how this works. Thanks for the clarification.  :rolleyes:

148473[/snapback]

You think his comments are substantive? Ok, I see how your mind "works."

When little kids get on stage and make rehersed comments about Bush or Cheney ( see Dem Convention ), it's cute, adorable and honest. But when a kid speaks out on substantive issues that will affect his generation....Bush is getting desperate. Ok, I see how this works. Thanks for the clarification.  :rolleyes:

148473[/snapback]

148495[/snapback]

TT....speaking of minds working ( or not working), why don't you try reading the post before you respond to them. I never said that I thought his comments were substantive..now did I? Nope. "But when a kid speaks out on substantive issues that will affect his generation...." Social Security is a substantive issue that will affect this kids life more that it will affect ours. Where's the problem here? That a smart 9 yr old kid is interested in the U.S. Government? Or that he likes Republicans more than Democrats ? Or me pointing out the hypocrisy of the Left ?

I really don't have much interest in what the kid thinks, but I fail to see how any of this shows Bush becoming 'desperate' in the least. Maybe it's that you don't like it when a child prodigy leans politically toward the Right. Children are suppose to be pure and honest, and you think that somehow one can't be those things and still be a Conservative, huh? It messes w/ your preconcieved notions of what is and what should be, I suppose.

Anyway, if it bugs you, that's fine. Perhaps it'll send you down a better path, before all's said. G'day :)

148473[/snapback]

148495[/snapback]

TT....speaking of minds working ( or not working), why don't you try reading the post before you respond to them. I never said that I thought his comments were substantive..now did I? Nope. "But when a kid speaks out on substantive issues that will affect his generation...." Social Security is a substantive issue that will affect this kids life more that it will affect ours. Where's the problem here? That a smart 9 yr old kid is interested in the U.S. Government? Or that he likes Republicans more than Democrats ? Or me pointing out the hypocrisy of the Left ?

I really don't have much interest in what the kid thinks, but I fail to see how any of this shows Bush becoming 'desperate' in the least. Maybe it's that you don't like it when a child prodigy leans politically toward the Right. Children are suppose to be pure and honest, and you think that somehow one can't be those things and still be a Conservative, huh? It messes w/ your preconcieved notions of what is and what should be, I suppose.

Anyway, if it bugs you, that's fine. Perhaps it'll send you down a better path, before all's said. G'day :)

148527[/snapback]

I read what you posted. So he made a nonsubstantive response to a substantive issue. We agree on that?

Actually, I think its kinda cute when kids spout off on stuff like this, regardless of their "leanings." Utterly meaningless, but cute. Just a simple point-- when a sitcom's ratings start to fail, they often add a cute kid to the cast. Seems like the same thing here, that's all. You have a good day, too.

:)

when a sitcom's ratings start to fail, they often add a cute kid to the cast. Seems like the same thing here, that's all. You have a good day, too.

Not being a officionato on sit coms, I'll take your word on that. But how that in any way relates to this issue, is beyond me. I guess when you're grasping at straws, as you are here, you'll take anything.

Last I heard, the ratings were up. I mean over 53 million people voted for Bush. That's about 4-5 million more than he got last time.

And I don't think solving the PROBLEM with SS has gone away. It's just they (mostly dems and a handful of reps) are against elements of the plan.

But don't ask Hilary what she thinks of the plan because according to her she hasn't heard a plan from Bush on SS.

Last I heard, the ratings were up. I mean over 53 million people voted for Bush. That's about 4-5 million more than he got last time.

Then again, about 50 million people are sick and tired of the show as well. No-one, ever, has had that many votes against him.

And I don't think solving the PROBLEM with SS has gone away.

By problem, I gather, you mean that SS will be unable to pay out full benefits 37 years from now (at the earliest)? That is, of course, assuming the economy remains as crappy as it is now. An even mildly functioning economy would push that point (not of bankruptcy, but of being unable to pay 100%) out to 47 years from now.

And please explain the backpedaling to "problem", instead of the "imminent crisis" this administration was peddling when they assumed noone was paying attention.

It's just they (mostly dems and a handful of reps) are against elements of the plan.

If you mean the element where this country would add $10-20 trillion of extra debt, while paying 20-30% less in benefits than would be payed out if we did NOTHING to the current system, let alone fix it by, oh, raising the SS tax cap to $250,000... I should bloody well hope so that those representing the citizens of this country are against it.

But don't ask Hilary what she thinks of the plan because according to her she hasn't heard a plan from Bush on SS.

So far, there has been a study with several alternatives, none of which he has fully committed to. These alternatives range from the deranged to the deluded. If you want to call this a plan, be my guest. Don't expect everyone to subscribe to that exquisitely lenient definition, though.

By the way, your fixation with Hilary is stupefying. I'm trying not to draw a Freudian conclusion, but you're making it quite difficult.

Not at all. Where on Earth are you coming from with this?

On trivia. Please note who had the nuts to actually go up against him. Who's scared here? Please call me when W enters a contest with this kid.

Why? Why oh why? Again, you are inferring an attack against Democrats without any basis whatsoever. Stick to the issue.

Oh, by the way, I doubt this kid, no matter how intelligent, is "taking care of himself". I also doubt he is completely "thinking for himself", but never mind that.

In the end, you are missing the point. No matter how considered the opinion, the kid is 9 years old. No offense, but really, how is that supposed to convince me?

So I guess Kerry wasn't desperate for jumping on MEMOGATE?

148547[/snapback]

Let's for the minute grant you the point that the memos were forged (a point that has yet to be proven), please let me know of a single fact contained within them that has been refuted by evidence. One. Just one. Please. Just one.

Bush DID relinquish his duty. He DID miss his physical. By any legal definition, he IS a deserter. You might say "who cares", and I will totally agree. A shady past should bear no reflection on ones current duties. But with what Starr did to Clinton, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to cry wolf now?

148473[/snapback]

When Bush needs to trot out 9 year olds to make his argument... yes, that is desperation in action. If privitization were such a wonderful thing, shouldn't it be able to stand by itself?

I will say that what Starr did was 10 times worse than what Bush's supposed friend did to him with the tapes.

I just wonder why these tapes weren't released prior to the electon. I mean everyone tried to do something before the election.

And besides, I think they tried MEMOGATE in 2000 and it didn't work then.

Let's just don't pay SS . This administration and previous ones have taken money out of the SS fund and used it for general purposes.

If we privitize SS, then the government can't touch the money for general purposes.

I know its waaaaaaay off subject, but I just wonder how Kerry would have been able to pass his health care plan for every American?

And I wonder why we can't have the same reitrement plan as our leaders in Congress?

148473[/snapback]

When Bush needs to trot out 9 year olds to make his argument... yes, that is desperation in action. If privitization were such a wonderful thing, shouldn't it be able to stand by itself?

148556[/snapback]

Umm....the story IS standing by itself. Bush didn't drag this kid out, some reporter wrote it up as an human interest story. This wasn't a W.H. press release. How about giving credit to some dedicated citizens for caring enough to do something for a change. And yes, privitization IS a wonderful thing. I'm fully in favor for it. SS should have never occured in the 1st place. Not as the ponzi scheme it is now.

And I wonder why we can't have the same reitrement plan as our leaders in Congress?

148558[/snapback]

Many people do. Their plan is not so unusual. They also pay the same SS rate the rest of us pay and none of it goes into private accounts.

SS should have never occured in the 1st place.

148574[/snapback]

That's honest. It is obvious you are not an elected Rep. This is what the Rep. slogan should be:

SS should have never occured in the 1st place.

i know no one really wants to talk about the article, but someone made the point that educated people (child, by the way) speaking for themselves scare dems. i don't know where that came from but i do know that this sentence: "He's very patriotic and very Republican," said Noah's mother, Donna McCullough, a former teacher and self-described Democrat. "It's the way he was born." means he is NOT thinking for himself. it means he's been brain-washed by his parents into thinking something is right. don't worry. he'll grow out of it.

148558[/snapback]

Many people do. Their plan is not so unusual. They also pay the same SS rate the rest of us pay and none of it goes into private accounts.

148576[/snapback]

This is a complete BS Lie! Tex, if you actually believe this you are dumber than a rock.

Prove it! Define Many! Prove this totally bogus accusation is true Tex. Make sure you use a REAL source not one of your usual BS Dems Spin machines.

148558[/snapback]

148576[/snapback]

This is a complete BS Lie! Tex, if you actually believe this you are dumber than a rock.

Prove it! Define Many! Prove this totally bogus accusation is true Tex. Make sure you use a REAL source not one of your usual BS Dems Spin machines.

148590[/snapback]

You're beyond dumb.

Begun in 1987, the Thrift Savings Plan, which as of December 2004 had assets of $152 billion, is a retirement-savings plan open to all civilian federal employees, including senators, and all members of the uniformed services.

They can invest as much as 14 percent of their salaries in one of five retirement funds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6919700/site/newsweek/page/2/

Many participate in this particular optional plan-- in addition to Social Security, many more Americans participate in similar optional plans-- in addition to Social Secuity. If you don't know this, you need to educate yourself before you thow around such strong insults. WWJD?

Archived