Injuries heading into UGA Game

thaitopher

Will Horton and James be healthy enough to be successful this weekend? Any other players? What about Williams? Will he actually be healthy enough to make a difference? For many of the injured players that returned last weekend, I didn't really see results from them on the field. Maybe I am wrong.  PassTheBiscuits - you have any inside info on any of this?

I am much more comfortable with Harrell sliding in at the guard position against UGA than Tega sliding in at the tackle position. Regardless, I think that Gholson should stay at RT because he is a much better RT than James even when James is healthy. 

51 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I am much more comfortable with Harrell sliding in at the guard position against UGA than Tega sliding in at the tackle position. Regardless, I think that Gholson should stay at RT because he is a much better RT than James even when James is healthy. 

Agree

Gus just said all the offensive linemen are practicing but that they wouldn't know a starting lineup until Thursday or Friday. My guess is that the starting lineup will be Tega - Harrell - Dunn - Smith - Golson? 

8 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Gus just said all the offensive linemen are practicing but that they wouldn't know a starting lineup until Thursday or Friday. My guess is that the starting lineup will be Tega - Harrell - Dunn - Smith - Golson? 

You would most likely be correct.  James and Horton just were not healthy enough last week, which was the reason for the sacks.

I am most concerned with the true health of Javaris Davis and Tray Matthews however.  We need all of our guys ready to go to slow down their running backs.  Jamel Dean needed help last game.

I agree. Dean seemed to be beat on a number of plays. Not sure if it is his health or what. James looked awful as did Horton. Glad they said to coaches they were not fully healthy, because both were beaten bad on the first few O series '.  Think  I would go with the five that helped turn the game. Okay to rotate for rest but not extended series. Dunn has been really really good. Still baffled why NCM is not getting more targets as well as why Barrett is getting little to no touches. His redshirt is burned. Give the kid the ball 5 to 6 carries a game. 

30 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

No major injuries. As above, some of the guys aren’t 100%, particularly j Davis and the Olinemen. Not much to report otherwise.

In your opinion, how can close to 100% is Javaris Davis, Tray Matthews, and Tre Williams?

As in, when on the field can they play like they were 100%, or be a step slower, avoid contact, etc.  

7 minutes ago, rhughes said:

Maybe it has been said already but I don't remember Paul James III playing at all against Texas A&M.  Is he injured?

He did not play, but I haven't seen any info as to why. Seems like the D-line continues to get thinner and thinner each week. It was good to see Moultry get a sack though - hopefully he will contribute going forward.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:54 PM, TigerPAC said:

Was it Horton that got shoved badly on the FG block?

Yes.  Got destroyed on that play.  I will say this.  Big Mike isn't going to get manhandled like that if healthy.  He may get beat but not like the blocked field goal.

Don't want to start a new post, but here is my question/concern. Barrett looks really quick and somewhat tough when he's gotten in games. Since his redshirt is burned, are we maybe going to use him as a wrinkle or change of pace back vs. ugh and crud next three weeks? He needs more touches as does Martin. To me, that is crap play calling not getting them the ball and it has moronzahn written all over it! Thoughts? 

I guess Bubba will not dress for the Uga game. He should be getting close though to having the injury healed enough to at least dress out. This would put the thought in the Uga staff that he could play. It would be great if KP surprises everyone and comes into the game. If not, he should be close for bammer to play. Would this be 6 weeks since the injury?  That type of injury is tricky in that if it is a small hairline crack in the backside of the collarbone, it should be close and is in a position to receive the least amount of trauma with special padding.

Gus needs to give KJ no more than 20 carries Saturday and give Martin, Barrett, and Miller at least 20-25 carries split among them. I doubt Uga is preparing for multiple backs with Gus' head strong ways of having KJ run into the ground if he does not let up. KJ needs to stay healthy if we have any chance of pulling off the Amen Corner Miracle if we win out.

41 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I guess Bubba will not dress for the Uga game. He should be getting close though to having the injury healed enough to at least dress out. This would put the thought in the Uga staff that he could play. It would be great if KP surprises everyone and comes into the game. If not, he should be close for bammer to play. Would this be 6 weeks since the injury?  That type of injury is tricky in that if it is a small hairline crack in the backside of the collarbone, it should be close and is in a position to receive the least amount of trauma with special padding.

Gus needs to give KJ no more than 20 carries Saturday and give Martin, Barrett, and Miller at least 20-25 carries split among them. I doubt Uga is preparing for multiple backs with Gus' head strong ways of having KJ run into the ground if he does not let up. KJ needs to stay healthy if we have any chance of pulling off the Amen Corner Miracle if we win out.

I was under the impression that we wouldn't see Bubba again until bowl season. Did I miss something? 

2 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

Don't want to start a new post, but here is my question/concern. Barrett looks really quick and somewhat tough when he's gotten in games. Since his redshirt is burned, are we maybe going to use him as a wrinkle or change of pace back vs. ugh and crud next three weeks? He needs more touches as does Martin. To me, that is crap play calling not getting them the ball and it has moronzahn written all over it! Thoughts? 

Nope. Next question.

Not injury related, but speaking of Tray Matthews, how great would it be to see a guy who helped tip the ball to Ricardo when he played for UGA, to making a game sealing INT for AU

I remember reading someone saying that Russell's program was basically a crappy one--as in giving specific reasons why. Wouldn't surprise me at all because it sure seems like it. Are we generally healthier than we were a couple weeks ago? As in, to the point where we're on the upswing health-wise at the most important time?

One reason I've been vouching for Kiffin is because his S&C coach models his training after Cochran. 

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/college-football/lane-kiffin-fau-owls-take-page-from-alabama-help-beat-down-rivals/8J27A8NMRDHqnN8NaHEdVJ/

3 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

Since we fans are not at practice every day we don't know enough to either praise or criticize. How well do the younger backs know their blocking assignments? How well do they know what to do on plays where they are not the ball carrier? Unless you are there on the sidelines at practice, these things are not knowable. We are in no position to say who should be playing and how much.

^Maybe because we don't want KJ running into the ground out there? It's Gus's fault if we can't develop proper RB depth IMO.

Thinking about Jovon, we DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY need another Virgil Starks figure (i.e., someone who counsels them and keeps their butts out of trouble). Don't think it's a coincidence we've had a severe uptick in players get in trouble since Tubs left/he passed (RIP :( )

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since we fans are not at practice every day we don't know enough to either praise or criticize. How well do the younger backs know their blocking assignments? How well do they know what to do on plays where they are not the ball carrier? Unless you are there on the sidelines at practice, these things are not knowable. We are in no position to say who should be playing and how much.

We do know that when we have one healthy upperclassmen RB and we should be getting other backs experience and not running him into the ground. 

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^Maybe because we don't want KJ running into the ground out there? It's Gus's fault if we can't develop proper RB depth IMO.

Thinking about Jovon, we DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY DESPERATELY need another Virgil Starks figure (i.e., someone who counsels them and keeps their butts out of trouble). Don't think it's a coincidence we've had a severe uptick in players get in trouble since Tubs left/he passed (RIP :( )

Under Gus we rarely develop  underclassmen on O, he gets favorites and rides them. 

Archived