Best Auburn team ever?

SaturdayGT

16 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I think a case can be made for this years team.  We may not have the record, but the talent is there. I think this years team could beat our 2010 team. Thoughts?

Ask me again on January 9th

regardless, I think we will have continues success for years and this won't just be one season and done like 2010 and 13. The dynasty has begun. 

Based on my limited experience (I only started paying attention to Auburn when I arrived in 1992), I still lean towards that 2004 team. Man, they were GOOD.

Cam Newton on the team takes them above and beyond. If we are speaking outside of Cam then it’s pretty close between 2010 and now. I do think this team is better than the 2013 team and that’s based not based solely on defensive improvements. I wouldn’t say better than 2004. 

The thing with 2010 is that without Cam or Nick, that team would've been quite average. You can take away a couple players from this team or the 2004 team, and while there would probably be a drop in performance, there wouldn't be quite the disparity that would be seen if the same occurred to the 2010 squad. 

2004 is my favorite.  

As far as best, I think your top 5 (in no particular order) are 1957, 1988, 2004, 2010, and 2013.  

Just winning the SEC on Saturday definitely catapults 2017 into the discussion (beating 2 #1s is a pretty impressive resume).  If this team wins a couple of games in January, they will probably become our best ever. 

And I agree with those who have said we have potential here to build a consistent powerhouse! Nasty D + Explosive O = A consistently successful program!

8 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

I think a case can be made for this years team.  We may not have the record, but the talent is there. I think this years team could beat our 2010 team. Thoughts?

this team is probably the 3 rd best team in the modern era.    If you consider each team, relevant to the era that they played, the 1957 team is the best team of AU history.    I rank them, in the modern times, 2004, 1983, 2017, 2010

Easily the greatest Auburn team of all time. Athletes are just plain better than they used to be even just 5 years ago. Auburn has talent and it has been coached well. If the 2004 Auburn team was slow and the offense was arhaic. 2010 and 2013 had insane offenses but ass defenses. This is the most complete auburn team ever

No. 2004 team was a complete team, top to bottom. Very physical on both sides of the ball. I would've loved to see them against USC that year and let me say that USC team would beat each and every one of the current playoff eligible teams.

This is the most talented team since 2004. I would have a hard time picking between those two. I only became an Auburn fan in the 80s so I can't speak to anything before then.

Also, this is easily the most complete team since 2004. The beauty of what's happening right now is how good we are playing in all three phases. And yes, I know about the kick coverage issues but I feel like Carlson somewhat negates that. Ask nick saban if he would trade his special teams for ours.

Archived