One of Biggest Travesties of Justice Ever

Proud Tiger

The ballistics evidence made it clear this wasn't murder. I'd have thought the involuntary manslaughter charge was appropriate, but I wasn't on the jury.

Having read that, I too think the murder charge was probably too much.  Involuntary manslaughter certainly should have been applied IMO.  And this guy needs to spend a lot of time in jail for sneaking back into this country at least 5 times after deportation.

Hell, if you hit somebody accidentally with your car you are subject to be convicted for involuntary manslaughter. This verdict is disgusting.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Having read that, I too think the murder charge was probably too much.  Involuntary manslaughter certainly should have been applied IMO.  And this guy needs to spend a lot of time in jail for sneaking back into this country at least 5 times after deportation.

To expand on the article, it doesn't matter whether the prosecutor gives a jury the option of a lesser included offense, like manslaughter. It matters how it was argued to the jury. Did the prosecutor press that point?

It's not rare for prosecutors to choose the level of offense they want and argue hard for it, to the point of de-emphasizing the other charges out of concern the jury will convict on the lesser charge because it's easier to decide. It would not shock me if the prosecutor didn't forcefully make the "even if it was an accident" argument, looking to avoid the manslaughter charge entirely.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Hell, if you hit somebody accidentally with your car you are subject to be convicted for involuntary manslaughter. This verdict is disgusting.

Patterico is a veteran homicide prosecutor, by the way. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think that's the point.  It's wasn't murder, legally speaking, but that's the only case the prosecutor tried to make.

Archived