Why is Gus so bad in bowl games?

GwillMac6

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My view from going to game: They wanted it more.. Their crowd was in it and the players were too. Was expecting huge push from both our lines but never happened.

Also dont think KJ was close to 100. Stidham has to quit putting his head down at first sign of pressure. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK why this bowl thing is so hard for him

its not just bowls, it is regular season....if terry bowden was coaching this team (at the peak of his career here) we are 13-0 and playing clemson tonight

3 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

Lion, of all people, I'm not, nor have I been a Gus fan since last year's  Clemson game; I dont believe this loss is on Guss's shoulders completely. AU got out played and UCF  wanted this game more.  

However, can you or anyone explain to me where adjustments were made in the 2d half or at ANY point in this game to account for pressure or anything else? I am seriously asking because I want to give Gus every benefit of the doubt as a HC.  

The adjustments I saw in the 2nd half were pass routes. First half we primarily went deep or to the flat,with the occasional sideline pass on 3rd. In the third quarter, we started throwing to the middle of the field. We also got Cox more involved. Then, in the 4th quarter, we put in the Hastings plan... crossing routes and such. I think we also saw why we don't run that often. He was exhausted.

The one thing that was baffling, and I think hurt us, is that our running game kept showing flashes of getting in its grove, and then would lose it. I think that's why Chip kept going there, even when the line wasn't controlling the trenches.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Because he had a QB who threw the ball away twice and put it on the ground once (only the fumble can be attributed to good D), and a right tackle who frequently played like he had money on the other team, but yea... it was all coaching/play calling.

I'll leave you to you standard, post loss "Gus sucks" thread.

Hate to call you on this but this is a stupid comment. Of course Gus didn’t throw an interception or miss a tackle or a block, but last I checked it was his job to insure that the team knew how to  do their job and to have them motivated to win the game or at least giv their best effort. There is no way UCF had better players but they were better motivated. How do you reckon they got that way ? Because their head coach made them that way. Also consider Frost has had to wear two hats during this time as well. So not hard for anyone to come to the correct conclusion that Frost was much better at his job , even though he was playing with one hand tied behind him, than Gus did his. Plan an simple, no way around it, Gus is a small time coach . Like it or not it’s the truth. You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig so send it back to Arkansas where it belongs. This is exactly why Sexton struck as we prepared for the SEC playoff, because Gus knew he would screw it up again soon , so he need to get it while he could.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The adjustments I saw in the 2nd half were pass routes. First half we primarily went deep or to the flat,with the occasional sideline pass on 3rd. In the third quarter, we started throwing to the middle of the field. We also got Cox more involved. Then, in the 4th quarter, we put in the Hastings plan... crossing routes and such. I think we also saw why we don't run that often. He was exhausted.

The one thing that was baffling, and I think hurt us, is that our running game kept showing flashes of getting in its grove, and then would lose it. I think that's why Chip kept going there, even when the line wasn't controlling the trenches.

Those are not adjustments, just saying.  We also used  slants and the middle to start the game.  Throwing 2 passes to Cox is not an adjustment, we attempt it twice a game every game at least.  The "hastings" package was not an adjustment, it is what every team does against prevent defense.  

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

I can't remember a game that went really well when Gus had a lot of time to prepare.  For some reason he's unable to take advantage of the extra time  

While it's not my intent to tee off on him, I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that there will be more games just like whar we saw today.  

including the entire offseason

Players gotta play better along with coaching. This game was lost on the field more than on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, AUDynasty said:

Again, it's infuriating to see that a lot of games that we lost are more that we just did not take it. We rarely get whipped straight up. 

Well, IMO UCF tried as hard as they could to give this game away.  Missed two FGs, costly penalties, etc.  Auburn, more specifically CGM needed this dang bowl WIN today.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, IMO UCF tried as hard as they could to give this game away.  Missed two FGs, costly penalties, etc.  Auburn, more specifically CGM needed this dang bowl WIN today.

That is true. Even with this, we still did not take it.

Is THIS what it means to be an AU fan now? Having to put up with sub par play from a team that's spending A LOT of resources getting ready to play football? I guess we should just be prepared to accept the cards we've been dealt and move on. 

Another "Gus-turd" layed in a bowl or big game! it's definitely the norm rather than the exception! I sort of halfway suspected this might happen so did'nt go to game even though tickets could be had for reasonable prices and i could have been home in time to watch most of the uga game. I sure hoped i'd be wrong! NOT!

As someone said "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig" and that about sums up our "7 million dollar man". He's an average coach at best. If good coaches have time to study our "3 plays",,, he'll always come up short against Gus. We hope he gets better and maybe he does ever so slightly,,,,but definitely not enough,,, and surely not in time to save us from these mediocre performance we're routinely exposed to. Yeah,,, the other part time coach and team knew what plays we were running before they were even called! Same reason Carlson had so many field goals blocked. Because the arrogant "Gus-turd" can't get out of his own way! :-(

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus got his money up front and he's HC for at least the next 4 years.  He's won the AU lottery and is set for life.  Why would he need this bowl win?  

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Hate to call you on this but this is a stupid comment. Of course Gus didn’t throw an interception or miss a tackle or a block, but last I checked it was his job to insure that the team knew how to  do their job and to have them motivated to win the game or at least giv their best effort. There is no way UCF had better players but they were better motivated. How do you reckon they got that way ? Because their head coach made them that way. Also consider Frost has had to wear two hats during this time as well. So not hard for anyone to come to the correct conclusion that Frost was much better at his job , even though he was playing with one hand tied behind him, than Gus did his. Plan an simple, no way around it, Gus is a small time coach . Like it or not it’s the truth. You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig so send it back to Arkansas where it belongs. This is exactly why Sexton struck as we prepared for the SEC playoff, because Gus knew he would screw it up again soon , so he need to get it while he could.

Nailed it...Gus has the best agent in football.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

And did you win every game against good opponents? Did your QB execute everything the way you told him to?

The thing that makes the "Gus is the problem" argument so hard to understand is it is based on the unfounded belief that Auburn not could, but should win every game they play. Pre-season, there were a large number of fans who anointed Stidham the next great thing... when he proved to be a young, talented QB who needed seasoning, they blamed it on Gus. They expected the 1-2 punch of Johnson and Pettaway to be unstoppable. When they both went down early with injuries, they blamed it on Gus. Many of us were concerned about our O-line, because they had holes and unknowns. When they struggled, people blamed it on Gus (to me, the jury is still out on Hand).

Can you, objectively, as a former coach, other than the LSU game, lay out how any coach could have done better under the circumstances. The only obvious thing to me is recruiting more/better linemen, but we are still working to build depth, across the board, to compete with our very deep rivals, one of whom structures their recruiting to leave us with a weak spot?

you can't read... if my players performed like tonight, I took responsibility for their preparation...players make mistakes and play poorly but its the coaches job to prepare them to overcome those things or play someone who can...Stidham is 14 games in...as Kirby says about Fromm...he ain't no freshman...as for your attempts at defending Gus...Clemson gameplan was a disaster...tonight we threw those weak outside screen  attempts over and over to no avail...we fail to utilize the tight end at all no matter the concept or defensive screen...Herb Hand?...read NFL analysts about our linemen coming out...poor footwork and hand placement...AND just who is responsible for developing depth 5 years in??? Who developed UCF? The coaches performing double duty flying back and forth to Lincoln? DON'T REPLY...GUS IS RESPONSIBLE!!!!

3 hours ago, 33gles said:

Because he can't Coach. He was known for his schemes, which worked until everyone and their senile aunt figured them out.

Thanks a lot man, I needed that laugh.

With all due respect to everyone, but if you don’t think UCF had more to play for then you are all sadly mistaken.   Undefeated season, left out of playoffs, no respect just to name a few.  

Their d line whipped out o line.   Their qb was faster than anyone on the defense, except Roberts.   

Our defense looked average today.  DD an DW aren’t good when it comes to speed.   Cornerbacks need to learn to play the ball.  JD has a chance for an interception and was in perfect position but didn’t go for the ball.   

So my point is poor coaching and poor play.   Everyone gets blamed for this lose

3 hours ago, chimes said:

Not just bowl games , but meaningful opening games as well ( including Clemson this year as game 2). It’s been shown that Gus gets consistently out coached when both teams are given extended periods of time to prepare. Not sure what that says about him ( and consequently our program for the foreseeable future) but it can’t be good.

Add next season's opening game against Washington to that

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The pooch kicking was a good adjustment against UGA, against UCF, not so much.

That was more of a fake onside kick or something today.  Like instead of kick it deep and rely on our defense or onside to try to get ball back now, we decide to meet in the middle somewhere.  I preferred kicking deep, but where the ball ended up should have gone onside. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig so send it back to Arkansas where it belongs. This is exactly why Sexton struck as we prepared for the SEC playoff, because Gus knew he would screw it up again soon , so he need to get it while he could.

My goodness!  Many, many of us saw Sexton’s plan unfold right before our eyes, we knew he was stirring the pot behind the scenes for weeks after the LSU loss while Bert was screwing up left and right.  Sexton/Gus baited Auburn for weeks and they swallowed that huge hook in one giant gulp.  Gus gave AU his price well before the SECCG, and sealed the deal in the wake of the IB win while the team was shinning their brightest.  People called Gus a genius schemer for years, well his scheme to secure $7mm for 7yrs guaranteed was indeed brilliant.

Serious question:

why can our O line play so much better against UGA and bama??  (Than UCF)

Also,, didn't I  hear that we had "the most  experienced O line" in the country  back in August?

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Is THIS what it means to be an AU fan now? Having to put up with sub par play from a team that's spending A LOT of resources getting ready to play football? I guess we should just be prepared to accept the cards we've been dealt and move on. 

I know you're asking facetiously but I've been an Auburn fan since 1970 and it seems so. 

Just now, Beaker said:

Serious question:

why can our O line play so much better against UGA and bama??  (Than UCF)

Also,, didn't I  hear that we had "the most  experienced O line" in the country  back in August?

best home field advantage in the country. I said it earlier today but gary danielson nailed us. We are a completely different team outside jordan hare. Way more than most other good teams away from home. we are more dependent on being at home than other teams. Even at neutral sites we are just nowhere close to how good we are at home.

Archived