Why is Gus so bad in bowl games?

GwillMac6

Bama and UGA both had new offensive wrinkles today.  Actually commentators said OU did also.   Hmmmm maybe that's what good coaches do between games or between halfs.  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what would be a proper contract for Gus? An SEC West Championship, I believe, warrants not being fired. I know that I am not the biggest Gus fan in the world either, but half of you guys were saying that you were eating Crowe and that Gus was a pretty dern good coach right after the Bama game. Now we're kicking that aside after we lost to a team that is now in the national championship game, and the only undefeated team in the country? Sure, this is certainly not what I wanted, but I just think a lot of you need to pick a side, and not let one game sway you to the complete other extreme.

4 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

amen. i am sick of 4 and 5 stars that dont pan out. we seem to get alot of them in every class or they finally play as a senior. 

Players still have to be developed and placed in good situations to perform. Doesn't matter what the star rating is. 

our offensive line has had several terrible games and been flat out dominated at times. they arent near as good as people thought at the begining of the year. we need to get alot  better 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

So what would be a proper contract for Gus? An SEC West Championship, I believe, warrants not being fired. I know that I am not the biggest Gus fan in the world either, but half of you guys were saying that you were eating Crowe and that Gus was a pretty dern good coach right after the Bama game. Now we're kicking that aside after we lost to a team that is now in the national championship game, and the only undefeated team in the country? Sure, this is certainly not what I wanted, but I just think a lot of you need to pick a side, and not let one game sway you to the complete other extreme.

I have never been swayed. He is way overpaid for what he is. Whomever authorized his contract should go through concussion protocol. 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If gus would pick a side and stay on it if he is a good coach or not then maybe we would. He is more bi polar as a coach than we are with our opinions lol.

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

I def. wasn't eating crow. I kept saying you don't pay Gus for just 2 wins this season. Most may not agree but i felt like we had the leverage. I didn't want him fired but sure as heck don't give him a raise. For what? Because "mighty" Arky wanted him? Please. I would've called his bluff b/c at the end of the day i would've had faith that we could've at least found a decent coach to match Gus's 8-4 record. If we had lost him to Arky than so be it. Enjoy being a bottom feeder in the SEC West. He wasn't going anywhere unless he decided he had a strong desire to go home and Arky was his dream job.

I just never understood why it was so hard to tell Gus...let's see how the start of next season goes and if you continue on the same track like how we played against Bama and UGA....we're going to take care of you. Even before the SECCG i kept saying you don't extend Gus just b/c he beat UGA and Bama this year. Out of how many years of losing to them. Heck those wins were him earning the 1st extension he got!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I never ate crow and just send he is a pretty dang good coach. I ate crow for doubting his ability to win those games and rightfully so. I also said we should not offer him 7 mil. He had not earned it. If Arkansas wanted to give him that crazy deal let them. I am big in the total package. Do I think he should've been on the hot seat after the iron bowl? NO. Did I think he deserved that high paying extension? No. However, here we are. He is probably a top 5 coach in the salary department. In these next 7 years, I am expecting an NC appearance.

I'm not.

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Hate to call you on this but this is a stupid comment. Of course Gus didn’t throw an interception or miss a tackle or a block, but last I checked it was his job to insure that the team knew how to  do their job and to have them motivated to win the game or at least giv their best effort. There is no way UCF had better players but they were better motivated. How do you reckon they got that way ? Because their head coach made them that way. Also consider Frost has had to wear two hats during this time as well. So not hard for anyone to come to the correct conclusion that Frost was much better at his job , even though he was playing with one hand tied behind him, than Gus did his. Plan an simple, no way around it, Gus is a small time coach . Like it or not it’s the truth. You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig so send it back to Arkansas where it belongs. This is exactly why Sexton struck as we prepared for the SEC playoff, because Gus knew he would screw it up again soon , so he need to get it while he could.

I'm sorry, but that stuff is mainly on a player. I played Division One Athletics. I never blamed a shot that I didn't put on frame on my coach.. that was on me. I also would have never dreamed of blaming not being mentally prepared on a coach. That was 100% on me also.

There are plenty of things to blame a coach for, but basic skill sets and motivation shouldn't be one of them at the D1 level. Those things should of been there before they stepped on campus.

I mean how they got their motivation is easy. The recruiting services said they couldn't play at the P5 level. P5 schools said they couldn't play at that level. The media said they couldn't play at that level, fans said they couldn't play at that level, are still saying that they can't play at that level in fact, the Playoff Committee said they couldn't play at that level.

Plenty things to be concerned about Gus with, but let's be fair and admit the players have responsibilities also.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Ladies and gentleman...the sooner we accept this is life under Gus...the sooner it will not hurt as bad. 

Ouch...just shoot me...

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Well, since it was asked...in my Fantasyland, there would be financial debits for schizophrenic results. On my classroom spreadsheet, there are debit and credit columns. So, game by game, results would build or decrease those columns. Bet accountability would would take on a whole new meaning....leadership being top down and all...call it incentives and DE-centives.

Why didn't we open it up as we did on final two drives earlier in the game? Gus and his conservative approach is what kills the fun in the games.

"Hey, lets take 4 secs to hand the ball off and go straight up the middle?"

Sounds great, lets do it at least 20 more times later okay?

"Absolutely."

*high-five*

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

Serious question:

why can our O line play so much better against UGA and bama??  (Than UCF)

Also,, didn't I  hear that we had "the most  experienced O line" in the country  back in August?

Think it's best not to question these things. More than likely you will end up with more questions than answers. Your brain will be fried from trying to contemplate this conundrum.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t see how someone says Malzahn is a GOOD coach for winning 10 games once every 4 year avg when he has top 10 talent annually 

i am glad the season is over....malzahn took a playoff caliber team and lost to a UCF team, coached by a lame duck/part time coaching staff, that was 0-12 two years ago.....for some of you, this is going to be a lesson concerning the old saying,"be careful what you wish for" and that lesson will play out over 7 years and the tuition is 49 million bucks

No idea if this has been said but I have a theory.

Gus' offense is simple, and he will tell you that himself. It's that way by design. However when you give a team one full month to prepare for it they have the opportunity to look at the "next level" tells. I mean the stuff deeper than "hey, if #5 in the game he's getting the ball on a swing pass" or "out of the sugar huddle it's a pitch to the outside 85% of the time". One of the announcers yesterday said UCF noticed that on run plays KJ and Stidham stand a certain distance apart. However, on pass plays that distance changes. You give a team that long to study a simple offense and they can dedicate more time to finding these details out and it makes it that much easier when they know excactly what we are doing just based on how certain guys are lined up. Now, if you ask me, that is next level dumbassery to have this type of thing signal to the defense whats coming. Just awful.

This may explain a little bit about why the OL got dominated yesterday. Doesn't excuse the DL's poor performance, but at least the OL was at the disadvantage of the defense knowing whether to play run or pass on nearly every play.

17 hours ago, 33gles said:

Because he can't Coach. He was known for his schemes, which worked until everyone and their senile aunt figured them out.

I was thinking back to that one linebacker that said that Auburn's defense was extremely easy to read and how y'all got mad on the board about it but then all the sudden he was reading this like crazy in the middle of stupid that entire game. That was a number of years ago now it seems like everybody else was able to figure it out too. 

Remember when cam was here everyone thought Alabama was reading our plays in the first half or something sketchy like that it was probably just that we were so damn predictable even then.

18 hours ago, Metalsinger418 said:

Because teams have a month to prepare for our 3 different offensive plays.

This was funny as hell

CGM has two stints at a power 5 school as the OC. This is not nearly enough to prepare him for competing for SEC Championships routinely. Our odds go up dramatically with a HC who has previous experience with other successful power 5 schools and the NFL. Even higher if he was a successful HC at the power 5 level. His staff has some first time position coaches with no or little power 5 coaching experience. His go to people came from the High School ranks with limited resumes at the power 5 level. He basically is a flash in the pan as OC and severely unprepared to be a HC in the WEST Division of the SEC.  In Bowl games he goes up against staffs who have had a winning season and several weeks to prepare. Talent level is usually on par, we are generally out-coached. He basically came up to quickly and missed some important steps professionally for this level of competition. His philosophy is basically the same as it was in High School. Steele has the resume to be the Defensive Coordinator and it shows. He is mostly surrounded by seasoned position coaches and as a former LB coach, can develop Travis Williams in that position and overcome inexperience. The Defense develops players, has talent, depth and hardly ever looks uncoordinated. Cannot say the same for the offense. The offense is usually inept in our bowl game loses. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

No idea if this has been said but I have a theory.

Gus' offense is simple, and he will tell you that himself. It's that way by design. However when you give a team one full month to prepare for it they have the opportunity to look at the "next level" tells. I mean the stuff deeper than "hey, if #5 in the game he's getting the ball on a swing pass" or "out of the sugar huddle it's a pitch to the outside 85% of the time". One of the announcers yesterday said UCF noticed that on run plays KJ and Stidham stand a certain distance apart. However, on pass plays that distance changes. You give a team that long to study a simple offense and they can dedicate more time to finding these details out and it makes it that much easier when they know excactly what we are doing just based on how certain guys are lined up. Now, if you ask me, that is next level dumbassery to have this type of thing signal to the defense whats coming. Just awful.

This may explain a little bit about why the OL got dominated yesterday. Doesn't excuse the DL's poor performance, but at least the OL was at the disadvantage of the defense knowing whether to play run or pass on nearly every play.

The OL looked bloated, slow and hungover.   Plus... all that stuff you said.

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Actually, I think it's more about style than outcomes.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

This is a good point. Take it here. 

Archived