Why is Gus so bad in bowl games?

GwillMac6

Is this a reactionary and emotional post to what just happened? Absolutely I MEAN LOOK AT WHO THE POSTER IS submitting this topic!!! DUH!!!!!! lol but seriously 1-4?! come on bro!!!! oklahoma is the only game out of those we SHOULD of lost. The rest we should of won and we choked in the 3 losses besides the oklahoma one. IDK why this bowl thing is so hard for him. Chizik was 3-0 in them............

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he can't Coach. He was known for his schemes, which worked until everyone and their senile aunt figured them out.

Not just bowl games , but meaningful opening games as well ( including Clemson this year as game 2). It’s been shown that Gus gets consistently out coached when both teams are given extended periods of time to prepare. Not sure what that says about him ( and consequently our program for the foreseeable future) but it can’t be good.

Exactly, @GwillMac6. When you factor in the fact that we usually have two to four weeks to prepare, and still put underwhelming results on the field, it's a head scratcher. It can only boil to one thing--opposing coaches are outscheming, outplanning, outmotivating, and outcoaching us. There's really no other way to put it. 

Thankful for our seniors, but disappointed we never really put our seniors and team in a best position to win.

It’s actually pretty simple . Gus is so bad in bowl games because he’s a person that overthinks . It’s harder to overthink something when you only have a couple days to prepare vs having nearly a month . 

He cant stop himself from overthinking every play every game decision etc

One argument is because Gus’s offense need to play on rhythm to be good, and the layoff hurts. This is true but when you play other spread tempo teams and lose, them what is the excuse?! They have the same challenge to overcome.

Because he had a QB who threw the ball away twice and put it on the ground once (only the fumble can be attributed to good D), and a right tackle who frequently played like he had money on the other team, but yea... it was all coaching/play calling.

I'll leave you to you standard, post loss "Gus sucks" thread.

2 minutes ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

It’s actually pretty simple . Gus is so bad in bowl games because he’s a person that overthinks . It’s harder to overthink something when you only have a couple days to prepare vs having nearly a month . 

He cant stop himself from overthinking every play every game decision etc

I think this is a misconception of Gus, if anything I think he under thinks things, proven by his total lack of in game adjustments and offensive scheme adjustments.  He is just arrogant and conceited and believes his first plan is gonna be perfect with no plan if it fails.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Because he had a QB who threw the ball away twice and put it on the ground once (only the fumble can be attributed to good D), and a right tackle who frequently played like he had money on the other team, but yea... it was all coaching/play calling.

go away sunshine pumper this is not the thread for you. You knew what you were getting in to when you got in this thread. You going to run away for a couple of months again because of the negativity? Sorry I do not constantly pump out positivity when Gus gives me no reason to do so.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Cool and we will leave you to he is the bestest, smartest gosh darn coach we will ever have thread......lol

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I think this is a misconception of Gus, if anything I think he under thinks things, proven by his total lack of in game adjustments and offensive scheme adjustments.  He is just arrogant and conceited and believes his first plan is gonna be perfect with no plan if it fails.

Ya I agree with auburnphan a little more. He did the same ole plays no new wrinkles.

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He is a terrible game day coach, see pooch kick off.

The pooch kicking was a good adjustment against UGA, against UCF, not so much.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Good point , that happens when you tend to overthink , you try not to and you end up under thinking . 

Either way he can’t get out of his own way even though he keeps trying to sell to us that he can 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

go away sunshine pumper this is not the thread for you. You knew what you were getting in to when you got in this thread. You going to run away for a couple of months again because of the negativity? Sorry I do not constantly pump out positivity when Gus gives me no reason to do so.

Are you joking man?  With what he is going through health-wise, he needed to be around positivity so yeah I don’t blame him for not being on the forum.  Until you or a family member goes through with what he is dealing with you really won’t understand.  You need to lay off him in hat regard.  That was uncalled for.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Are you joking man?  With what he is going through health-wise, he needed to be around positivity so yeah I don’t blame him for not being on the forum.  Until you or a family member goes through with what he is dealing with you really won’t understand.  You need to lay off him in hat regard.  That was uncalled for.  

I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I know no ones personal life in here. All I know is he said he wanted to get away from the negativity that the season we were having was making everyone have in here. Sorry I took him on face value. 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Seriously? This from the guy who defends Damieun Craig as a receivers coach because he loved him as a player. You have lost all objectivity.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Thanks for the defence. It's no big deal. I know Mac runs 100% on emotion. He'll get over the game and be fun to banter with again soon enough.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Seriously? This from the guy who defends Damieun Craig as a receivers coach because he loved him as a player. You have lost all objectivity.

You lose any objectivity anytime you defend Gus. I will take a knee on the D craig thing and take a L on that 1 if you admit defending gus all the time is a mistake as well. Deal?

No one can possibly argue that Malzahn is simply unlucky in bowl games or in games where the opponent has time to prepare. You could find 3 or 4 excuses for this loss, same as all the others. At some point, the preparation of the team has to come into play. That falls on coaches. Even if a player struggles, or someone is injured, it’s the coach’s responsibility to find ways to adjust. Auburn adjusted for 5 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. That was it. Malzahn and his $7 million per year was horribly out coached by Frost all day. 

Not sure why anyone should be excited about another bowl game with Malzahn as the head man. It’s not likely to work out well unless it’s against Memphis.

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Lots of blame to go around, coaches and players, with this loss. But I’ll second this about James...damn he looks bad in pass pro most of the time, doesn’t move his feet well at all. Hope we get better play out of that position next year somehow.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks for the defence. It's no big deal. I know Mac runs 100% on emotion. He'll get over the game and be fun to banter with again soon enough.

absolutely I run on emotion. But that also means I am reactionary. I am reacting to what happened. Being a fan of sports is not about being even keel. We are not players. I react with my warranted over the top extreme positivity when we win and I think how I react when we lose is warranted to especially with the WAY WE KEEP LOSING with gus.

Because he sucks at getting his team prepared for bowl games, and pretty much include any game that is meaningful 

Archived