Why is Gus so bad in bowl games?

GwillMac6

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually, I think it's more about the style than outcomes.

Yup. 

Every season, we have people say "Gus has to win X number of games or else." I don't buy into that. We play in the toughest division in football, we have the best team in the SEC East (and now a national title contender) on our permanent schedule and we somehow manage to keep scheduling at least one really tough OOC opponent every year. (Seriously?? We get freaking *Washington* as a top-15 team?!?!?! After two years of Clemson during the greatest run in their history?!?!) Anyway, there is no shame in losing to Clemson, or bama, or uga.

But getting dragged like we have so many times the last few years? The joke ass game plans we threw at Clemson the last 2 years? The Cox-Cat, 11 sacks, 117 yards of total offense?? Giving up a 20-point lead to Ed Orgeron's mighty Bayou Bengals?? Playing injured players in our most important games because we have no depth in year 5 of this regime, all while watching our biggest two rivals go to the national championship in consecutive years with rookie QBs, not to mention watching Clemson get into the playoffs this season with one??? 

Oklahoma fans probably aren't embarrassed by Lincoln Riley today. You can be prepared and play well and still lose. Gus doesn't do that very much, though. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. 

Every season, we have people say "Gus has to win X number of games or else." I don't buy into that. We play in the toughest division in football, we have the best team in the SEC East (and now a national title contender) on our permanent schedule and we somehow manage to keep scheduling at least one really tough OOC opponent every year. (Seriously?? We get freaking *Washington* as a top-15 team?!?!?! After two years of Clemson during the greatest run in their history?!?!) Anyway, there is no shame in losing to Clemson, or bama, or uga.

But getting dragged like we have so many times the last few years? The joke ass game plans we threw at Clemson the last 2 years? The Cox-Cat, 11 sacks, 117 yards of total offense?? Giving up a 20-point lead to Ed Orgeron's mighty Bayou Bengals?? Playing injured players in our most important games because we have no depth in year 5 of this regime, all while watching our biggest two rivals go to the national championship in consecutive years with rookie QBs, not to mention watching Clemson get into the playoffs this season with one??? 

Oklahoma fans probably aren't embarrassed by Lincoln Riley today. You can be prepared and play well and still lose. Gus doesn't do that very much, though. 

out of likes but great post

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

No idea if this has been said but I have a theory.

Gus' offense is simple, and he will tell you that himself. It's that way by design. However when you give a team one full month to prepare for it they have the opportunity to look at the "next level" tells. I mean the stuff deeper than "hey, if #5 in the game he's getting the ball on a swing pass" or "out of the sugar huddle it's a pitch to the outside 85% of the time". One of the announcers yesterday said UCF noticed that on run plays KJ and Stidham stand a certain distance apart. However, on pass plays that distance changes. You give a team that long to study a simple offense and they can dedicate more time to finding these details out and it makes it that much easier when they know excactly what we are doing just based on how certain guys are lined up. Now, if you ask me, that is next level dumbassery to have this type of thing signal to the defense whats coming. Just awful.

This may explain a little bit about why the OL got dominated yesterday. Doesn't excuse the DL's poor performance, but at least the OL was at the disadvantage of the defense knowing whether to play run or pass on nearly every play.

2 things:

1. Makes perfect sense. Gus runs like 5 plays and expects perfect execution of said 5 plays and I suppose complete ignorance from the defense to the tendencies that I’m SURE he preaches in practice.

2. OL definitely has to deal with more than most offenses due to how awful this offense’s scheme is, but IDK, they haven’t gotten much of a push against anybody this year if you really think about it. GaSO and Mercer cooked them, Kerryon had to basically manufacture yards himself against Bama and UGA. Pretty much all of their best performances were the ones where they weren’t letting guys into the backfield ASAP (like yesterday). Herb Hand has to go ASAP

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I was thinking back to that one linebacker that said that Auburn's defense was extremely easy to read and how y'all got mad on the board about it but then all the sudden he was reading this like crazy in the middle of stupid that entire game. That was a number of years ago now it seems like everybody else was able to figure it out too. 

Remember when cam was here everyone thought Alabama was reading our plays in the first half or something sketchy like that it was probably just that we were so damn predictable even then.

Yeah that was the Wazzu 2013 game. He wasn’t wrong per se, the playbook might’ve been even more diminished back then. Pretty unfortunate we decided to give a damn near lifetime contract to a guy who’s been publicly ridiculed for the simplicity of his offense several times BY OTHER PLAYERS AND COACHES

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

2 things:

1. Makes perfect sense. Gus runs like 5 plays and expects perfect execution of said 5 plays and I suppose complete ignorance from the defense to the tendencies that I’m SURE he preaches in practice.

2. OL definitely has to deal with more than most offenses due to how awful this offense’s scheme is, but IDK, they haven’t gotten much of a push against anybody this year if you really think about it. GaSO and Mercer cooked them, Kerryon had to basically manufacture yards himself against Bama and UGA. Pretty much all of their best performances were the ones where they weren’t letting guys into the backfield ASAP (like yesterday). Herb Hand has to go ASAP

You're right. OL has not been hot and cold and not getting consistent push -- no matter who we are facing. Hand has not been getting it done and I wouldn't be upset if he left. That being said, we were so lucky to have Casey Dunn fall into our lap from Jax State. We would've looked even worse without having to put him into the lineup. I don't know what next year is going to look like but I'm a worried about the OL. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah that was the Wazzu 2013 game. He wasn’t wrong per se, the playbook might’ve been even more diminished back then. Pretty unfortunate we decided to give a damn near lifetime contract to a guy who’s been publicly ridiculed for the simplicity of his offense several times BY OTHER PLAYERS AND COACHES

And announcers

17 hours ago, Beaker said:

Serious question:

why can our O line play so much better against UGA and bama??  (Than UCF)

Also,, didn't I  hear that we had "the most  experienced O line" in the country  back in August?

Because the Oline played poorly. The players stated as much. 

I will say this and move on.....if UW has the majority of the stadium in September I'll have to call out the fans....because yesterday felt like another road game. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

And announcers

And yet we stand here today with wins over AL and UGA. 

3 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

And yet we stand here today with wins over AL and UGA. 

That was when Gus had turned the corner. We looked different during that stretch than we did the entire season. We attacked the whole field.

Then Gus turned right back around and went back to his old ways. Why?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. 

Aaaaaaaaand bingo

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That was when Gus had turned the corner. We looked different during that stretch than we did the entire season. We attacked the whole field.

Then Gus turned right back around and went back to his old ways. Why?

He's the head coach for at least four more years unless someone has 50 million laying around. I have no idea but I know one thing....he hates losing. I put yesterday on the players and the SEC Championship on injuries. Very few teams can overcome star players getting hurt. Period. 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

He's the head coach for at least four more years unless someone has 50 million laying around. I have no idea but I know one thing....he hates losing. I put yesterday on the players and the SEC Championship on injuries. Very few teams can overcome star players getting hurt. Period. 

I can't disagree with that. But the lack of foresight to prepare your backup RBs in case of injury (after seeing first hand how an injured RB derailed our season last year) -- or in case of the starter having a bad day, or anything of the sort, was a big fail by the head man in charge. We can just agree to disagree though no need to rehash this over and over.

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

There's no excuse for not having a third running back who is at least adequate. That is on Gus.

And I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that a whole bunch of players all decided to suck at once and not put some blame on leadership. 

As for Gus hating to lose, that has nothing to do whatsoever with his ability to avoid it happening. In fact, I would say that his fear of losing has led to some monumentally terrible decisions the last couple years. 

When you base your offense on the run game and then show up with slow zone reads, draws and delayed hand offs against a team that is based on speed and not power don't dare blame the players. That is horrible coaching.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. 

Lol, I was at a OU watch party. Comments were like many on this board. Riley went conservative and didn't trust Mayfield, he is the next Big Game Bob, Stoops sucks we need a new DC, no no its our offense it doesn't allow the defense any time. Herman is lights out recruiting right now... Texas will be back in before we are and they will dominate. Wow we gave up so many points to overrated SEC teams and offenses, so embarrassing. We got cute, why didn't we stick with what was working.

My date is a Texas grad, she just sat there with a smile glowing watching the meltdown.

There was also a couple of UCF would beat us comments btw.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, I was at a OU watch party. Comments were like many on this board. Riley went conservative and didn't trust Mayfield, he is the next Big Game Bob, Stoops sucks we need a new DC, no no its our offense it doesn't allow the defense any time. Herman is lights out recruiting right now... Texas will be back in before we are and they will dominate. Wow we gave up so many points to overrated SEC teams and offenses, so embarrassing. We got cute, why didn't we stick with what was working.

My date is a Texas grad, she just sat there with a smile glowing watching the meltdown.

There was also a couple of UCF would beat us comments btw.

I stand corrected! Yikes.

Well, I can still point to a couple Auburn losses that didn't make me think we have the wrong head coach. It's possible. 

16 hours ago, AUBourne said:

When you base your offense on the run game and then show up with slow zone reads, draws and delayed hand offs against a team that is based on speed and not power don't dare blame the players. That is horrible coaching.

this couldn't have been more on display than it was on saturday. Simply maddening seeing 3 guys greet kj in the backfield on that delayed handoff over and over and over again,,,like fingernails on a chalkboard! what in the H E double L were they thinking taking that game plan in there against that speed? (did they watch any film or heed the advice of that receiver?).  Ohhh nevermind,,, its Gus and we don't have but 4-5 plays and there all pretty scripted and designed this way. Sorry move along here,,, nothing to see! Good news is most sec teams won't have time to prepare for us like the part time coach at ucf did? Oh wait,,washingtons got a whole summer and no matter how much time the Gusturd has,,Stidham won't be developed anymore than what we see out of him today. That's just the way it is playing for Gus. If you need reminding think back to our quarterback situation the past few years and how unprepared they've been. If we didn't hit on a couple of superstars,,,, like the one or two in a generation kind,,, capable of ditching the play and improvising,, we wouldn't be talking about Gus today. (i give him credit for recruiting cam but nick marshal was a safety or corner and an accident just like petway and hastings, etc.) I've always maintained we've won in spite of Gus,,, not because of him! However often times or at least in big games or when coaches have time to prepare for us,,,,we just can't overcome his ignorance, arrogance and highschool tendencies! It's a shame since we're constantly pulling in top ten classes and have at least the top 3 best defensive coordinators in football. Just dream for a moment,,, If Gus's performance on offense had to match what happens on the defensive side of the ball; we'd,,,,,,,, BEAT BAMA and UGA! yeah,,, it actually happened twice last year for the first time in forever!

My wife and step daughter went to a couple games w/ me last year and experienced the roller coaster we all go thru. even they noted the horrible play calling and after the game asked why we didn't just fire Gus. I tried to explain it was very complicated and tried to move on when i knew i could'nt answer it in under 5 minutes. I have to say it hurt badly when they got behind uga and we're pulling harder for them than they were for auburn. However there's no way i could blame them! Dang it! UGA has a heck of a football coach! Now we have at least 2 other coaches on our schedule every year (kirby and Jimbo fisher) in addition to saban that will no doubt "out coach/out scheme" the "Gus-turd". Things are not gonna get any easier for Au and co. War eagle and happy new year. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm sorry, but that stuff is mainly on a player. I played Division One Athletics. I never blamed a shot that I didn't put on frame on my coach.. that was on me. I also would have never dreamed of blaming not being mentally prepared on a coach. That was 100% on me also.

There are plenty of things to blame a coach for, but basic skill sets and motivation shouldn't be one of them at the D1 level. Those things should of been there before they stepped on campus.

I mean how they got their motivation is easy. The recruiting services said they couldn't play at the P5 level. P5 schools said they couldn't play at that level. The media said they couldn't play at that level, fans said they couldn't play at that level, are still saying that they can't play at that level in fact, the Playoff Committee said they couldn't play at that level.

Plenty things to be concerned about Gus with, but let's be fair and admit the players have responsibilities also.

You would be right if it was just one game, but when you lose every bowl game like Gus has, then intelligent folks soon realize,  that if you have the same results every year with a different squad then it’s the coaches fault . So you can go ahead and make excuses all you want but facts are facts. 

On 1/1/2018 at 8:02 PM, Tiger Scout said:

play calling, no identity on offense, to predictable, cant develope qbs, cant develope recruits. we just got beat by a 2 star qb.

Not only that we made that QB look like a first round draft choice. Had I been the coach there would have been a sign up in the locker-room, the meeting rooms, the dormitories and the bus that read “ UCF is coming to kick your butts on national TV and embarrass you. They don’t care who you are. So either man up or face the biggest embarrassment of your life” . 

Archived