So Will This Be the New Thing?

Texan4Auburn

So I saw this article today where a female soccer player at Georgia State University made a post using the N word and has been forced to withdraw and had a petition against her. This is the petition, and I personally would love to what the entire post said. She says "I passed N------".

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/expel-natalia-martinez-from-georgia-state

I am curious if she was talking about a test, cause I have on multiple occasions seen many an athlete at Auburn exit a classroom, or walk up to a table in the student union and excitedly state the exact same phrase. She was originally suspended from the soccer team with this statement released". Because if so she is not using the term out of hatred such as the woman at UA.

"Georgia State Athletics is aware of an incident on social media involving one of our student-athletes on Friday," the school's athletic department said in a post on social media. "We do not tolerate the language the student used in her post. Pursuant to our student-athlete code of conduct, she has been suspended from the soccer team."

https://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/gsu-soccer-player-suspended-over-racial-slur

So the N word is not tolerated by GSU by its athletes. Fair enough.

This is male GSU soccer player Rashid Alarape's highlight video clearly demonstrating that he represent GSU in a social/public media fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88U-NdGlei0

This is a link to the lyrics of his chosen theme music featuring the word that GSU athletics does not tolerate. While I have not looked, I have read that his twitter account prominently features the word also (so do not quote me on that).

https://genius.com/Not3s-aladdin-lyrics

So is this where we are at now? Individuals are going to watchdog and attempt to destroy lives of individuals that they deem unworthy to use said word in a way that meets with modern pop culture and the integration that goes along with that in today's society? Now if used out of hatred that is a different story. Personally I was raised that the word is offensive no matter who is using it.

Is it time that universities take a hard line stand on racial slurs and treat all individuals equally regardless of who they are or how they use these terms? We saw similar things with the University of Missouri, a call for a stronger stance on the use of racial slurs, yet post protest the slurs are prominently used  by the protestors. Are these potential witch hunts going to just intensify racial discord? Take the petition from this girl, she doesn't show the entire content so we have no idea what context the phrase was used in.

An individual at worked jokingly stated today that he was done listening to rap in public, as he might end up singing or mouthing the words, be filmed, posted, and lose his job.

I tend to believe that in most cases like this, drastic action tends to just send racist attitudes underground rather than truly deal with them.  Rather than bring the person who said the offensive things into a place where they see why such things aren't funny, aren't appropriate, and are actually hurtful they just learn to keep it secret, only whisper it with likeminded types and develop resentment and a persecution complex.

Then again, maybe some folks will never get it.  There's certainly evidence of that around here.  We've been trying for over a year or so to have a forum with good, decent, interesting, more in depth discussion but the same handful of bozos repeatedly default to the same insipid modes of discussion where drive-by shots at the other side and fits of whataboutism seem to be the only things they are interested in.  Maybe some folks will never get it no matter how much you try to lead them to a better way.

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I tend to believe that in most cases like this, drastic action tends to just send racist attitudes underground rather than truly deal with them.  Rather than bring the person who said the offensive things into a place where they see why such things aren't funny, aren't appropriate, and are actually hurtful they just learn to keep it secret, only whisper it with likeminded types and develop resentment and a persecution complex.

Then again, maybe some folks will never get it.  There's certainly evidence of that around here.  We've been trying for over a year or so to have a forum with good, decent, interesting, more in depth discussion but the same handful of bozos repeatedly default to the same insipid modes of discussion where drive-by shots at the other side and fits of whataboutism seem to be the only things they are interested in.  Maybe some folks will never get it no matter how much you try to lead them to a better way.

I think the reason why drastic actions are taken cases like this is because the institution in question feels the need to extract a 'pound of flesh' from the alleged offender in order to prevent the backlash from hitting the institution as result of being perceived in the public eye as not taking the incident seriously enough.  They're simply covering their own a$$.   

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I think the reason why drastic actions are taken cases like this is because the institution in question feels the need to extract a 'pound of flesh' from the alleged offender in order to prevent the backlash from hitting the institution as result of being perceived in the public eye as not taking the incident seriously enough.  They're simply covering their own a$$.   

I don't have a clue, but I wonder if a CYA rationale comes into play from the perspective of avoiding lawsuits that may stem from personal injury to the racist speaker.  It's probably minimal, but just another straw on the camels back.

13 hours ago, HVAU said:

I don't have a clue, but I wonder if a CYA rationale comes into play from the perspective of avoiding lawsuits that may stem from personal injury to the racist speaker.  It's probably minimal, but just another straw on the camels back.

I'm sure litigation is a concern, but (if I understand your  post correctly) it would be pretty twisted to sue an institution for not protecting or removing a person from harm that resulted from his or her own words/actions.  I don't see how the institution has any culpability in that situation.  Still, we do live in a litigation-happy society. 

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I'm sure litigation is a concern, but (if I understand your  post correctly) it would be pretty twisted to sue an institution for not protecting or removing a person from harm that resulted from his or her own words/actions.  I don't see how the institution has any culpability in that situation.  Still, we do live in a litigation-happy society. 

That was the gist of it.  There have been more ridiculous lawsuits fought and won in court.  Again, it's most likely a minimal concern, but possibly a contributor or at least red herring rationale.

I would really like to see us start acting like adults in the country.  For one, we should stop sensationalizing people that say idiotic things.  They're nothing special.

We should also stop looking for every offense that presents itself.  This girl, and people like her, are marginal and they typically fall to the wayside.  Our special treatment of them may be one of the reasons we end up with all the Pepe's and "the Base".  

5 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Public universities are agent of the state and beholden to the 1A. This has been litigated many times by FIRE and organizations like them. They need to tread carefully in situations like this. 

Take the young lady kicked out of Bama, for instance. She probably won't file suit against the university, but she would have a case 1A attorneys would love. 

4 hours ago, HVAU said:

We should also stop looking for every offense that presents itself.  This girl, and people like her, are marginal and they typically fall to the wayside.  Our special treatment of them may be one of the reasons we end up with all the Pepe's and "the Base".  

Outrage and coming down hard on a deserving target are drug like in their addictiveness. People need to be careful about viewing public shaming as a righteous act of justice, rather than acknowledging its true sadistic nature.

The girl obviously got confused because Hispanic people have had quasi-permission to use that word for years now, in fact it is used by Hispanic rappers (for example) all the time and no one even bats an eyelash.  So can she use it, or cant she? You obviously can't conclude any sort of racist "intent" based off of what she wrote.

26 minutes ago, metafour said:

The girl obviously got confused because Hispanic people have had quasi-permission to use that word for years now, in fact it is used by Hispanic rappers (for example) all the time and no one even bats an eyelash.  So can she use it, or cant she? You obviously can't conclude any sort of racist "intent" based off of what she wrote.

:rolleyes:

manufactured crisis THE PENALTY FOR ALL TRANSGRESSIONS IS TO BE TOTALLY DESTROYED see Haley Barber

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

:rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes? I am being 100% serious.  If you knew anything about street/urban culture, which I'm sure you don't as is the case with most sheltered whites like yourself who feel some sense of moral guilt to champion the supposed inequalities of "people of colour" do, you'd understand that Hispanics have "unofficially" been given the right to use that word to SOME regard in the same context that blacks themselves use it.  Maybe she sees her brothers/cousins/etc. using the word around their black friends with no issue, so what kind of connotation do you believe she will place on herself using the word in a manner that obviously wasn't "racist"? If 'X' Mexican person can use the word with obviously no issues, what prevents her from using it? You see the ridiculousness of this whole thing now, right? I grew up around Arabs who were "allowed" the say the word as well, to that I can also reference Moroccan rapper French Montana who is obviously allowed to use the word, despite not being black.  Since there is obviously no written guideline with regards to the use of that word, it has evolved in some way to also include other non-white groups who can claim some form of victim status,  oddly enough excluding Asians who are grouped with whites (likely due to their ability to succeed).  Its all very confusing.

Mind the absolute trashiness of this song, but here you have Mexican/Puerto Rican rapper 6IX9INE dropping the word about thirty times right beside two black guys.  Do they look "offended" to you? No, they are reacting in a manner that would be no different had it been some black rapper using the word.  So you see the conundrum here, right? 

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Why are you rolling your eyes? I am being 100% serious.  If you knew anything about street/urban culture, which I'm sure you don't as is the case with most sheltered whites like yourself

First off, you don't know anything about me.  Stick you doing you and stop assuming things just because it's a good windup into one of your half-baked screeds.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

who feel some sense of moral guilt to champion the supposed inequalities of "people of colour" do, you'd understand that Hispanics have "unofficially" been given the right to use that word to SOME regard in the same context that blacks themselves use it.  Maybe she sees her brothers/cousins/etc. using the word around their black friends with no issue, so what kind of connotation do you believe she will place on herself using the word in a manner that obviously wasn't "racist"? If 'X' Mexican person can use the word with obviously no issues, what prevents her from using it? You see the ridiculousness of this whole thing now, right? I grew up around Arabs who were "allowed" the say the word as well, to that I can also reference Moroccan rapper French Montana who is obviously allowed to use the word, despite not being black.  Since there is obviously no written guideline with regards to the use of that word, it has evolved in some way to also include other non-white groups who can claim some form of victim status,  oddly enough excluding Asians who are grouped with whites (likely due to their ability to succeed).  Its all very confusing.

How much do you know about Natalia Martinez's upbringing and background?  Her understanding of "street/urban culture?"  My guess is about the same amount you know about me, which if possible, would be measured in negative numbers.

As an 18-20 year old (or however old she is) millennial going to school in urban DOWNTOWN ATLANTA, I'd assume that she is well caught up on "street/urban culture", probably much more so than yourself.  I don't need to know anything about her upbringing or background, all I need to know is that she is Mexican and that it has been well established that they possess a quasi-pass to use that term.  Is it wrong or appropriate? I don't know, its not up to me to decide, but to act like this is some obvious example of racism when Hispanics openly use that word on the daily with no one giving a s*** is pretty obtuse.  It falls under an obvious gray-area.

What you see here is a mob-mentality against an obviously pretty Mexican girl by what I can only imagine is your cookie-cutter "woke" empowered female "black activist".  Nobody would give a s***, nor would this even be a story if this was a male Hispanic soccer player doing the same thing, just like no one gives a s*** when a male Mexican rapper uses the word on camera to millions of views.  Like I said, what exactly is the difference between this Mexican girl using the word, and the Mexican rapper from above using the word? Neither of them are black.

36 minutes ago, metafour said:

As an 18-20 year old (or however old she is) millennial going to school in urban DOWNTOWN ATLANTA, I'd assume

That's what keeps getting you into trouble.  You assume much and know little.

that she is well caught up on "street/urban culture", probably much more so than yourself.  I don't need to know anything about her upbringing or background, all I need to know is that she is Mexican

And from where did you establish that factoid?  You say you know this, but you haven't shared any evidence of that with us.  Is it just that she has a Spanish surname?

and that it has been well established that they possess a quasi-pass to use that term.  Is it wrong or appropriate? I don't know, its not up to me to decide, but to act like this is some obvious example of racism when Hispanics openly use that word on the daily with no one giving a s*** is pretty obtuse.  It falls under an obvious gray-area.

What you see here is a mob-mentality against an obviously pretty Mexican girl by what I can only imagine is your cookie-cutter "woke" empowered female "black activist".  Nobody would give a s***, nor would this even be a story if this was a male Hispanic soccer player doing the same thing, just like no one gives a s*** when a male Mexican rapper uses the word on camera to millions of views.  Like I said, what exactly is the difference between this Mexican girl using the word, and the Mexican rapper from above using the word? Neither of them are black.

Generally speaking when you find yourself stuck in a hole, you should stop digging.  Put down the shovel.

LMAO; you can't challenge any of the Hiroshima level fact bombs I'm dishing out so you have to keep spinning around literally irrelevant semantics (what I am or aren't "assuming", as you claim) to spin the discussion away from the fact that you have zero answer for the inconsistency of acceptableness with regards to the use of that word.  I didn't "assume" that she was Mexican/Hispanic, I read it in an article.  Even if I did "assume" it, it would be an assumption based off , you know, something that normal people do every day (example: if I see a black person walking on the street, I probably don't need a DNA test and family tree to ASSUME that they probably aren't Chinese).  Her relative, Juan Martinez, was a pro soccer player in Uruguay.  Safe assumption? She's probably not a Russian Jew, or Middle Eastern, or Scandinavian.  Don't think too hard.

Answer my question: why is Hispanic rapper 6IX9INE allowed to drop the word a thousand times on Youtube with no backlash (with Youtube's heavy "hate speech" policing nonetheless) while this girl has her life ruined for the same action? They are both Hispanic and clearly not black.

2 hours ago, metafour said:

LMAO; you can't challenge any of the Hiroshima level fact bombs I'm dishing out so you have to keep spinning around literally irrelevant semantics (what I am or aren't "assuming", as you claim) to spin the discussion away from the fact that you have zero answer for the inconsistency of acceptableness with regards to the use of that word. 

You're a great person to listen to on football related matters, but you are out of your depth in here Mr. Run-On Sentence.

I didn't "assume" that she was Mexican/Hispanic, I read it in an article. 

Then link it.  Then backup your assertion that she's deep into this Mexican street culture you're referring to.  Simply repeating unsupported assertions doesn't make them more true.

Even if I did "assume" it, it would be an assumption based off , you know, something that normal people do every day (example: if I see a black person walking on the street, I probably don't need a DNA test and family tree to ASSUME that they probably aren't Chinese).  Her relative, Juan Martinez, was a pro soccer player in Uruguay.  Safe assumption? She's probably not a Russian Jew, or Middle Eastern, or Scandinavian.  Don't think too hard.

There are way more assumptions in your mindless screed than "Mexican."  That was just the start.  Learn to back up what you say instead of just expecting us to believe you.

Answer my question: why is Hispanic rapper 6IX9INE allowed to drop the word a thousand times on Youtube with no backlash (with Youtube's heavy "hate speech" policing nonetheless) while this girl has her life ruined for the same action? They are both Hispanic and clearly not black.

What does rapper XYZ!!PDQ have to do with anything?  He's not the one who said it and he's not the one kicked off the team.  Deal with what is known, not the InfoWars style dot-connection shenanigans you think passes for "fact bombs."

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You're a great person to listen to on football related matters, but you are out of your depth in here Mr. Run-On Sentence.

Then link it.  Then backup your assertion that she's deep into this Mexican street culture you're referring to.  Simply repeating unsupported assertions doesn't make them more true.

There are way more assumptions in your mindless screed than "Mexican."  That was just the start.  Learn to back up what you say instead of just expecting us to believe you.

What does rapper XYZ!!PDQ have to do with anything?  He's not the one who said it and he's not the one kicked off the team.  Deal with what is known, not the InfoWars style dot-connection shenanigans you think passes for "fact bombs."

Dang Titan you talk on one hand about civil discussions and then get sarcastic when anyone disagrees with you. Not what I would expect from a mod. Take a deep breath and calm down. Just free advice from an old man.

9 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Dang Titan you talk on one hand about civil discussions and then get sarcastic when anyone disagrees with you. Not what I would expect from a mod. Take a deep breath and calm down. Just free advice from an old man.

I don't get sarcastic whenever someone disagrees with me.  I get sarcastic when I try to get someone to back up unsupported assumptions and they get pissy about it.  I dish back what they serve to make the point.

Archived