Some things I hope Chip/Gus doesn't do this season

Swamp Eagle

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You're putting that on Cox?! Scroll back a couple plays and tell me how KP did under similar circumstances.

Cox was a damned man just to get back to the LOS. 

Nope, but Pettway picked up the first on 4th and 1, and hammered down to the 1 on two plays.  You got two more to go, you don't think he could have gained a yard running our REGULAR offense? (IMO if we can't score from the 1 yard line with 2 plays, we have no business winning the game anyway).  Instead we go sugar huddle and give the BLOCKING HB/FB the ball?  Retarded.  Not blaming Cox at all, there is just no reason to run him when you have HB's you supposedly recruited for their above average running ability.  Play to your your strengths and let the recruits do what they do best is all I'm say'in.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Nope, but Pettway picked up the first on 4th and 1, and hammered down to the 1 on two plays.  You got two more to go, you don't think he could have gained a yard running our REGULAR offense? (IMO if we can't score from the 1 yard line with 2 plays, we have no business winning the game anyway).  Instead we go sugar huddle and give the BLOCKING HB/FB the ball?  Retarded.  Not blaming Cox at all, there is just no reason to run him when you have HB's you supposedly recruited for their above average running ability.  Play to your your strengths and let the recruits do what they do best is all I'm say'in.

Well, ftr, Pettway was recruited as a fullback and moved to running back after Jovon Robinson's troubles (at least, I think that was the driving factor..I could be mixed up on the reasoning).

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

No, I do not think Pettway could have done more on that play.

The play calling was garbage for most of that game. The fact that it was Cox carrying the ball on that play was not the problem to me, at least not until someone tells me exactly what Cox did wrong on that play that someone else would have done right.

24 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, ftr, Pettway was recruited as a fullback and moved to running back after Jovon Robinson's troubles (at least, I think that was the driving factor..I could be mixed up on the reasoning).

Clicked like but I'm out of them. This is correct. Pettway was Hback all the way until we got desperate. And he's exhibit A for Gus being able to get just about any RB to put up numbers on mediocre defenses.

21 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You may be right, but I thought he was a RB recruit that got moved to HB/FB because of depth and his size.  And then only moved to RB due to injuries where he shined.  But, I could be wrong too.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I do not think Pettway could have done more on that play.

I didn't say that play.  Nobody would have score on that play except maybe Bo/Herschel/Barry.  You asked for a sample of Cox' running style and that was the only carry I remembered him having other than the one A-Day game where he did well.  My ENTIRE point is why would you run the HB/FB when you've got 7 people you recruited to actually run the ball.  I'm not even that invested in this discussion, because Gus is gonna do what Gus is gonna do regardless of my opinion.;)

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I didn't say that play.  Nobody would have score on that play except maybe Bo/Herschel/Barry.  You asked for a sample of Cox' running style and that was the only carry I remembered him having other than the one A-Day game where he did well.  My ENTIRE point is why would you run the HB/FB when you've got 7 people you recruited to actually run the ball.  I'm not even that invested in this discussion, because Gus is gonna do what Gus is gonna do regardless of my opinion.;)

I asked for an example of something he did wrong. I won't hold his coach's decisions against him.

We *did* recruit him to actually run the ball. Jay Prosch was the only true FB of the Gus Malzahn experience going all the way back to his first year as an OC in 2009. And even he touched the ball a couple times I think. Was Eric Smith as good of a pass catcher as Terrell Zachary or Darvin Adams? Was he as good of a ball carrier as Ben Tate or Mario Fannin? Of course not. But he still showed up in huge spots and forced defenses to respect the entire field.

Respectfully, I'm still waiting on somebody to tell me why Cox isn't good enough to touch the football. I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just tend to stick up for players until they prove that they can't be depended upon. Cox has only shown that Gus turns to him when he gets stupid, which means that Gus trusts him, which means that he's actually probably a pretty good football player IMO.

23 hours ago, oracle79 said:

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

9 bodies to the right of the center and we run right into it.  Genius!

A more perfect reason to give Stidham permission to change the play at LOS does not exist.

Don’t use three QBs in a game unless it is a blowout.

9 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

A more perfect reason to give Stidham permission to change the play at LOS does not exist.

:bow:

He could have easily bootlegged it,  just like Pat Sullivan.

I hope they don’t take advice from “coaches from the couches”, and continue to run what they believe is best to win games! Of course they are still making mistakes at times and they (CGM) seemed to have learned from them and are focusing on moving forward. War Eagle ? baby! Go beat Washington and show us what ya got!

Cox can run the ball between the tackles and anybody who says otherwise is full of horse manure. He can also catch the ball, he can block, in fact he is a pretty darn good football player. You know something else ? Jalen Harris at TE can catch the ball too if they would use him. 

I think the reason CC gets the ball in those situations is CGM plays track players.  From Kodi Burns to Kiehl Frazier to Wallace, these guys were on the field when probably better guys were available just because they were "team players" like CC.

15 minutes ago, jacksrc said:

Team players not track. 

He loves them, too. :)

I don't disagree with him on either count, although I would like to see a little less reliance on his small inner circle of made men. His hand might get forced on that this season.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, Ber798297 said:

The whirlybird 

I´m not sure if Gus will ever live down the Whirlybird game(s). Thing is, Chandler Cox is a valuable player who we should be using more. But not like that, never like that!

Archived