Nike chooses Kapaernick for Just Do It...

japantiger

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I personally am not watching the NFL this year due to the lack of diversity, especially at positions like corner-back. I would like to see an increase in Hispanic and Asian/Pacific Island players in the NFL.

image.png

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

In all seriousness, why would they be to Nike?  Older and middle aged white men may buy one new pair of sneakers per year.  Younger kids who care about fashion buy new kicks every few months.  Who would you market to if you ran the business?  It's a freaking no brainer.

Ya but those 40 plus year old men and women are some of the most health conscious people in society. Nike doesn't just deal in shoes. They have running shots, dri-tech, yoga gear. Hit up Town Lake this weekend and tell me that age group is not an important demographic for athletic apparel.

This campaign was directed toward men, it will be interesting to see what they do with older women especially after their pay scandals and inequalities that they have had to address:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/business/nike-wages-raises.html

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya but those 40 plus year old men and women are some of the most health conscious people in society. Nike doesn't just deal in shoes. They have running shots, dri-tech, yoga gear. Hit up Town Lake this weekend and tell me that age group is not an important demographic for athletic apparel.

This campaign was directed toward men, it will be interesting to see what they do with older women especially after their pay scandals and inequalities that they have had to address:

Well, just maybe most of that demographic understands Kaepernick's motivation and don't buy into Trump's "disrespecting America" BS.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, just maybe most of that demographic understands Kaepernick's motivation and don't buy into Trump's "disrespecting America" BS.

WTF does Trump have to do with health conscious 40 plus year olds and their athletic trends? You do realize that like there are non Trump supporters over 40 that worked out also right? All the 40 plus didn't go... Hey Trump was elected today... I will now start buying athletic gear and working out. Or are you saying that is what happened and Obama was a major contributor to individuals being sedentary?

I know I know... racist, white privilage, maga supporter, good grief... face palm emote.

Dodging that bit on paying women equal I see. Guess that means that makes between the ages of 18-29 don't care about women being treated equally in regards to the workplace.

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

image.png

Maybe, maybe not. But if I commented on this type of divide in regards to QB's in the NFL you would be slobbering like Pavlov's dog to get in on it and take your Trump shots.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I was making the numbers up to be funny.  Basically saying that all the old MAGA hat wearing white dudes who buy their $39 Nike's at discounters boycotting has been surpassed by the actual Nike target market (who will drop $100-200 on a pair of sneakers) flocking to the brand.

Lol, well don't make up numbers that are so close next time dangit !!!

And 40 Plus women will drop $500-600 on yoga pants/sports bra's along with those sneakers, And thank you Austin, cause there are so many in category that wear them very very very well.

Also did you know, there was not a single fit person in Austin until Trump was elected.... true stuff.... ask Homey.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

41087744_10156544046020690_3447827542810034176_n.jpg

I only watched the Cowboys before. Prefer the college game... always have always will.

I saw a guy as a kid in a motorcycle accident, no helmet, scalp flapped in the wind. Never had a motorcycle need.

Adidas had better products, were more respected, and supported the West Germans! That is right homey, those West German Nazi #$%''s. Winners of multiple cups, home to Bayern Munich, excellent at skilled developmental play... like Iceman.. they just wear you down (except this year, must of been the guilt for winning too many cups).

Fortunately I don't like coffee so never fell into the Starbucks game (like some of their teas, but I usually make my own)

Netflix... really.... I stopped scrolling, I stopped streaming, and I started dreaming.. VHS. Vulcan baby, 32 miles south of Round Rock and with ample free parking. AHH, I HATE STREAMING.

FBI? I mean that is pigs in suits right. Screw all cops at all levels. If I learned anything from the recent Charlottesville marches it was when no skin heads showed up they chanted "All Cops Are Racist, You Better Face It".... mean cause you know they had to get violent with someone since the skin heads didn't show. BTW, did we ever get a Vox or Atlantic article about the failure of that white right week and the leftest violence that followed?

Putin, who cares. Screw him.

And remember kids, Kimmel would have you believe that people at SXSW don't know what bands are there. Nevermind all the research and scheduling to find out who is there and to get the proper bands for the proper venues.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Older and middle aged white men may buy one new pair of sneakers per year.  Younger kids who care about fashion buy new kicks every few months

I see why you kids have no wealth. Why does a man or kid need a new pair of "sneakers" every year? jeez Brad. I still wear a  pair of Rocksport dress shoes that I bought in 1983. paid $100 for them then.

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Maybe, maybe not. But if I commented on this type of divide in regards to QB's in the NFL you would be slobbering like Pavlov's dog to get in on it and take your Trump shots.

Sorry, but I don't really understand that. :dunno:

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Dodging that bit on paying women equal I see. Guess that means that makes between the ages of 18-29 don't care about women being treated equally in regards to the workplace.

I'm not "dodging' anything.  I ignored it as being irrelevant.  The subject is Colin Kaepernick.

But if accurate, I would welcome any woman - or women - demonstrating or bringing attention to it. 

I have no illusions about companies positioning themselves as "moral" when amoral policies are enhancing producing the profits.  That's just good ole capitalism! 

And you can "guess" to your hearts content.  ;)

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I see why you kids have no wealth. Why does a man or kid need a new pair of "sneakers" every year? jeez Brad. I still wear a  pair of Rocksport dress shoes that I bought in 1983. paid $100 for them then.

Dude, I'm not Nike's target market either for shoes.  But kids in their teens and early 20s with little responsibility and disposable income?  Yep, they'll buy it.  I was never into shoes at that age, but I spent way more money than I should have on football tickets because I had only myself to worry about.  And sorry, but not many single 15-25 year olds are thinking about anything beyond Saturday night.

Also, buy some new dress shoes man!  A new pair every five or so years isn't extravagant.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I'm not "dodging' anything.  I ignored it as being irrelevant.  The subject is Colin Kaepernick.

But if accurate, I would welcome any woman - or women - demonstrating or bringing attention to it. 

I have no illusions about companies positioning themselves as "moral" when amoral policies are enhancing producing the profits.  That's just good ole capitalism! 

And you can "guess" to your hearts content.  ;)

So is Trump when it comes to the athletic gear choices of 40 year olds. Yet your still tossing it out there.

Here is the thing. People are acting like Nike is doing some kind of major save the world thing with Kapernick. They are not.

As I linked, their reputation was already in the dumps behind companies like UnderArmour and Adidas. This helped them move closer. Lot of that had to do with their inequalities with women. So ya, it is relevant when you are making social commentary with your advertisements trying to portray yourself as a green company to increase your reputation and financial shares.

No clue what you mean by if accurate... is it not accurate cause it didn't come from Vox or the Atlantic? Posted links to both statements.

Nike to me is fake in doing this. They are also very hypocritical due to their previous treatment of women.

For too many women, life inside Nike had turned toxic.

There were the staff outings that started at restaurants and ended at strip clubs. A supervisor who bragged about the condoms he carried in his backpack. A boss who tried to forcibly kiss a female subordinate, and another who referenced a staff member’s breasts in an email to her.

Then there were blunted career paths. Women were made to feel marginalized in meetings and were passed over for promotions. They were largely excluded from crucial divisions like basketball. When they complained to human resources, they said, they saw little or no evidence that bad behavior was being penalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/business/nike-women.html

Four former female employees are suing Nike for alleged gender discrimination, according to a class-action lawsuit filed on Thursday.

The suit, which alleges the athletic apparel company pays and promotes women less than men and fosters a hostile workplace for women, is the latest accusation about a problematic Nike corporate culture. Earlier this year, 11 top executives were ousted after reports of harassment and bullying behavior.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nike-gender-discrimination-lawsuit_us_5b6da96ee4b0530743c97048

Here is a fun one involving the NFL:

Ware’s allegations are particularly disturbing. According to her complaint before the Florida Commission on Human Relations, during a team bus ride, the Dolphins cheerleaders played a game in which they listed songs on their “sex playlists;” when Ware said she didn’t have one, her superiors found out that she was a virgin who, because of her religious beliefs, was waiting until marriage to have sex.

A few months after the bus game—and two days after she posted about an image of her recent baptism on Instagram—Ware, a co-captain, she says she was called into a meeting with her bosses, standard for all returning cheerleaders planning to audition to earn a spot on next year’s squad. During the meeting, a superior said to Ware, “let’s talk about your virginity.” For reasons Ware says she still doesn’t understand, her superior said “as far as we’re concerned, you’ve taken something that was once-upon-a-time pure and beautiful and you’ve made it dirty.” Another superior added that while she thought it was “still beautiful,” Ware needed to stop talking about it.

Ware says that throughout the summer of 2016 she was subjected to harassment from her superiors about her virgin status, including being made to pose in a bikini holding fruit and “play with them like they were a man’s balls.” On another occasion, Ware says the same superior commented on an outfit she was wearing by remarking, “I hope you don’t wear that...when you meet Tim Tebow. That wouldn’t be too pure of you.

https://www.marieclaire.com/career-advice/a20108828/nfl-cheerleaders-harassment-discrimination/

I also think it is relevant that you have this guy that is "standing up to oppression in America" yet wants to so badly play in a league and be the spokes person for an organization that are both knee deep in oppression of others. I won't salute your flag cause of oppression, but dammit give me a few million and I will be your champion.

Mean come on. The dude talks about change and he didn't even vote.

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not necessary to debunk a joke to defend your honor.

I was just going for face palms from lurk in the shadows wont put my name on anything ichy. Also I rolled with the comedy:

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So is Trump when it comes to the athletic gear choices of 40 year olds. Yet your still tossing it out there.

Here is the thing. People are acting like Nike is doing some kind of major save the world thing with Kapernick. They are not.

I'm certainly not. In fact, I don't think anyone is  Sounds more like a figment of your imagination to me.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I only watched the Cowboys before. Prefer the college game... always have always will.

I saw a guy as a kid in a motorcycle accident, no helmet, scalp flapped in the wind. Never had a motorcycle need.

Adidas had better products, were more respected, and supported the West Germans! Winners of multiple cups, home to Bayern Munich, excellent at skilled developmental pThat is right homey, those West German Nazi #$%''s. lay... like Iceman.. they just wear you down (except this year, must of been the guilt for winning too many cups).

Sorry, but you'll need to explain what you are talking about?  I haven't a clue. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'm certainly not. In fact, I don't think anyone is  Sounds more like a figment of your imagination to me.

Of course it is, cause it isn't on Vox or the Atlantic.

It comes from discussion with real people, face to face, in the real world. Should try it sometime.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Sorry, but you'll need to explain what you are talking about?  I haven't a clue. :dunno:

I just have the utmost confidence in you to link it to a racial issue for being a fan of the Germans and their products over Kapernick's Nike is all.

25 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

As I linked, their reputation was already in the dumps behind companies like UnderArmour and Adidas. This helped them move closer. Lot of that had to do with their inequalities with women. So ya, it is relevant when you are making social commentary with your advertisements trying to portray yourself as a green company to increase your reputation and financial shares.

No clue what you mean by if accurate... is it not accurate cause it didn't come from Vox or the Atlantic? Posted links to both statements.

Nike to me is fake in doing this. They are also very hypocritical due to their previous treatment of women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/business/nike-women.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nike-gender-discrimination-lawsuit_us_5b6da96ee4b0530743c97048

Here is a fun one involving the NFL:

https://www.marieclaire.com/career-advice/a20108828/nfl-cheerleaders-harassment-discrimination/

I also think it is relevant that you have this guy that is "standing up to oppression in America" yet wants to so badly play in a league and be the spokes person for an organization that are both knee deep in oppression of others. I won't salute your flag cause of oppression, but dammit give me a few million and I will be your champion.

Mean come on. The dude talks about change and he didn't even vote.

I don't see how any of this relates to my post. :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Of course it is, cause it isn't on Vox or the Atlantic.

It comes from discussion with real people, face to face, in the real world. Should try it sometime.

OK.........

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I just have the utmost confidence in you to link it to a racial issue for being a fan of the Germans and their products over Kapernick's Nike is all.

You're a little scary.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

I don't see how any of this relates to my post. :dunno:

I don't see how anything that I posted related to your response about Trump either.

In fact in fact my responses were to the question of demographics in marketing by Nike and them ignoring a large segement. So my answer was on topic.

Your response to that:

You brought Trump into it. I was discussing the leaving out of the 40 plus age group along with women as a whole.

14 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

You brought Trump into it. I was discussing the leaving out of the 40 plus age group along with women as a whole.

Trump is the one who fostered the "disrespect for America" motivation to Colin Kaepernick which is total BS.  This "conflict" is a creation of Trump because he foolishly assumed it would be to his advantage.

Many - if not most - of that "40 plus age group don't care about Nike incorporating Kaeperick into their marketing plan, regardless of what Trump might think, which was my point.

Archived