Former three-term Alabama Sen. Howell Heflin dies

MDM4AU

Former three-term Alabama Sen. Howell Heflin dies at 83

The Associated Press

3/29/2005, 5:29 p.m. CT

TUSCUMBIA, Ala. (AP) -- Former U.S. Sen. Howell Heflin, who served as Alabama's chief justice before becoming a key arbiter of senatorial behavior during three terms in Washington, has died, a family member said Tuesday. He was 83.

State Sen. Bobby Denton of Muscle Shoals announced Heflin's death in Montgomery on the floor of the Senate, which held a moment of silence. At Heflin's home in Tuscumbia, a woman who identified herself as a family member said the senator had died, but the cause and other information were not immediately available.

Heflin, who had undergone heart procedures in recent years, had been admitted to Keller Hospital in Sheffield, a spokeswoman said. She said his son, Tom Heflin, would be making an announcement.

Heflin, a Democrat, was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1978 and retired after 18 years.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index...ist=alabamanews

I'm certain that I saw him on Bourbon Street prior to one of the Sugar Bowls in the late 80's. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Heflin's home in Tuscumbia, a woman who identified herself as a family member said the senator had died, but the cause and other information were not immediately available.

Not being a medical doctor. But having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express within the last year, I would say that at 83 years old, Old age had A LOT to do with the cause of death.

He was a Senator a long time. Mostly during my childhood. Always seemed to do a very good job with a lot of pride. You know you are getting old when all the figures that were in office when you first learned what "office" meant, are dying off.

J. Denton was my favorite. Or maybe it was just Jimmy Stewart did such a good job.

Heflin's home in Tuscumbia, a woman who identified herself as a family member said the senator had died, but the cause and other information were not immediately available.

Not being a medical doctor. But having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express within the last year, I would say that at 83 years old, Old age had A LOT to do with the cause of death.

153421[/snapback]

I'll bet heart failure played a factor, too!!! :big:

His wife had taken him to the hospital the day before, because he was feeling bad. They ran test and did not find anything to worry about. He was in a private room, (not IC) and had no monitoring equipment "hooked up". That night or the next morning he just died.

Archived