GIF - That last pass interference was the correct call

mikeholiday

12 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

MQ4zmO.gif

Hand fighting occurs on every single passing play.  I don't think this is PI. The receiver was not redirected, impeded, or slowed down due to JDs contact. The ball was under thrown. The receiver is able to use both hands for the catch. Both are looking back and making a play for the ball. While there was contact, it did not affect the ability to make the catch. This should've been a no call. It was Dang good coverage

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

MQ4zmO.gif

Watch Dean's left hand grab the receiver's inside hand. Clearly pass interference. For all those saying we were robbed.  

the no call on greedy/slayton was what upset me....if you're going to call it, call it both ways......i am suspicious of officials anyway.....if lie detector tests were given, i suspect a lot of them would fail when the question of gambling is asked

I agree this was PI but my complaint is with the ref's overall performance for the game.  They were consistently missing calls (both ways) and my biggest pet peeve was the fact that they hardly ever got a player's number correct on the call.  When I went back and watched the game again I counted almost 10 different penalties where they called the wrong number - even the announcers started correcting them.  It seems to me that if they can't read a number off a jersey then maybe that explains some of the other missed issues.

But I am not going to say any of this 100% cost us the game bc who knows what would have happened on following plays, but it would have been nice to at least had those opportunities.

WDE!

bottom line:  PI calls have been SUPER inconsistent and that is the true problem.   Hard for coaches help players adjust to the calls/trends.

Holding?!?!?!??!?!   You are telling me LSU's OL never did enough to earn one holding penalty?   That is utterly ridiculous.  If that is the case, all their linemen need to be drafted in the first round.   

If I am wrong pls tell me.  This frustrates me as much as the PI inconsistency.

All I know is that LSU was doing the same thing throughout the game.  I recall a crossing route by Seth Williams in the 1st half, where he was going for the catch that would have been a 1st down.  Looked like Seth just missed it until you look at the replay and the DB was holding his right arm down.   We wind up having to punt.  This was happening the entire game and they decide to finally make the call on the last drive of the game.  Wow.  We should have not been in this situation.  I am equally baffled that we look unstoppable on three drives in the game and then look like a monkey humping a football the rest of the game.  Sorry.  I know this is a dead horse.  

Imagine that. A game against LSU where everything that could go wrong did. 

The only scary part is that their voodoo isn't supposed to work outside of Red Stick. Of course, they normally don't have a native born swamp ogre as a head coach. Next thing you know, they'll have Dr. John as their team physician.

Image result for dr. john

All i will say to the ones who defend stripped shirts is if this is going to be called PI then there will be 20 or more called every game. This is BS and you know it. Quit defending the defenseless. It was great coverage and i bet you every secondary coach you interview would tell you the same thing. However, as i have said the game is over and nothing is going to change. The SEC officials are going to continue just like now and nothing will change till it moves from BHam and Steve Shaw is gone. Period end of story.

13 hours ago, T cell said:

Watch the first few milliseconds. The LSU WR first pushes off and their forearms casually entangle afterwards. Zoom in turncoat. 

Yep , THIS IS it. I see this is nothing more then both competing . LSU tried to push off,so no this is not the correct call. Had head turned around , looking for ball , making play on the ball , and just competing playing football . That's about as good as it get on playing that ball. Should have been no call. 

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

No one is really complaining about one particular call... it’s the course of the game.  Mugging on one side then PI in the other.  Holding by one OL and not call yet 2 back to back drives for us holding is called.  Timing and effect is everything in officiating.  

If you want to call it by the book fine but call it by the book both ways the entire game.  

Thats The complaint.

Thank you! Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

This is going to be our version of the Eric Brock/Zach Gilbert play from '06. We got away with one then and they got away with...several this past weekend but this particular one was critical

14 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

MQ4zmO.gif

Watch Dean's left hand grab the receiver's inside hand. Clearly pass interference. For all those saying we were robbed.  

1 hour ago, Sully to Beasley said:

I disagree. The DB got his head turned around and played the ball. He had just as much right to the ball as the WR. This was not pass interference, no way.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Hand fighting occurs on every single passing play.  I don't think this is PI. The receiver was not redirected, impeded, or slowed down due to JDs contact. The ball was under thrown. The receiver is able to use both hands for the catch. Both are looking back and making a play for the ball. While there was contact, it did not affect the ability to make the catch. This should've been a no call. It was Dang good coverage

Look where the ball is at the moment the supposed interference occurs.  Whose hand is touching the ball? How does a backside ref see that x ray hold imo no hold .... was he looking at the big screen....  Defense won that play. His left hand  appears to be playing a timed strip correctly based on the travel of the ball.

14 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

MQ4zmO.gif

They were jostling the whole way down the field. Can't call it when both players are doing it. 

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

No one is really complaining about one particular call... it’s the course of the game.  Mugging on one side then PI in the other.  Holding by one OL and not call yet 2 back to back drives for us holding is called.  Timing and effect is everything in officiating.  

If you want to call it by the book fine but call it by the book both ways the entire game.  

Thats The complaint.

Damn skippy corchjay!  I thought there was one they called us for PI where the ball was 10 foot over the receivers head.  Can't remember exactly when they called it though.  Hell, the one from the OP in my book is not PI based on the hand fighting.  This goes on all the time and is not called.  And that one up there looks like great coverage.

8 minutes ago, aukooze91 said:

Damn skippy corchjay!  I thought there was one they called us for PI where the ball was 10 foot over the receivers head.  Can't remember exactly when they called it though.  Hell, the one from the OP in my book is not PI based on the hand fighting.  This goes on all the time and is not called.  And that one up there looks like great coverage.

I think it was on that last drive down the middle of the field. 

25 minutes ago, aukooze91 said:

16 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I think it was on that last drive down the middle of the field. 

Right. Shoulda been a holding call, not PI. 

That was a great defensive play. I honestly do not see anything but 2 players going for the ball with the defender facing the ball and using proper technique. I watched this so many times that I am seeing it in my sleep. We got robbed on this particular play as well as the other PI on the last drive.

I know there are some who insist that this was the right call and I do respect your opinion, but I just do not see the penalties on the last 2 PI calls. I hope in the future when our DBs make good plays that the ref crew will look back on these bad calls and maybe, The Good Lord willing, they will get the calls right for us and any SEC team.

2 hours ago, ausburn said:

Look where the ball is at the moment the supposed interference occurs.  Whose hand is touching the ball? How does a backside ref see that x ray hold imo no hold .... was he looking at the big screen....  Defense won that play. His left hand  appears to be playing a timed strip correctly based on the travel of the ball.

You are a coach and know what you are talking about and what you see. The refs took the game out of our hands and into their butt pocket where their flag of death resides. 

I personally think it's great coverage. I can see where it could be called but don't think it should have been (particularly the way that other calls were/weren't made). Even more disappointing with this and some of our other PIs is that Dean is in great position and could have made the play without having his hand there to make himself vulnerable to that call (easier said than done I realize...and even without his hand there might have been called for PI, lol).

I've already said the one where out db had the wr position and the wr looked like a beaten db should cost someone a job. It was a blatant I'm calling regardless.

First time poster and longtime silent observer.  Attended most every home game from late 80s to early 2000s. Graduated in 97 with a Business Degree. 

This thread for some reason hit a nerve with me and pushed me to register and post.  I personally cant stand to watch any fans complain about penalties costing a game. But to see fellow AU fans so worked up about the officiating last Saturday and not pointing out all the “real” reasons we lost is disappointing.  

We could go down a laundry list of how we gave that game away and allowed LSU to go home with a win.  However, its easy and less accountable if we just choose to blame the refs rather than poor OL play, inconsistent DL play, lack of a strong running game, poor play calling, inefficient use of our strengths as well as the continuous teaching of our dbs to be too handsy. 

CKS teaches the dbs to be very handsy and to impeed or restrict the WRs by grasping the chest or jersey inside the receivers frame.  He also teaches the technique of getting inside the recievers chest and grabbing their forearm or wrist prior to the ball ariving. This is nothing new, he has taught this from day one.  I know for a fact, because I have been on the turf more than once when he was teaching how to get inside the receiver and disrupt their rhythm.  This use to be the NFL way to teach DBs but that no longer works because of their rule changes either.  We have gotten away with numerous borderline PI calls over the last several years and it was only a matter of time before it came back to cost us at the wrong time. 

This particular play that the OP posted is a perfect example of exactly how our dbs are being taught. The WRs forearm is grabbed 7 yards before the ball arives. As he starts to reach up for the ball the dbs hand slides down the forearm into the crease of the elbow. Textbook old shool inside technique. Thus the WR cant reach up with two hands to catch the ball and is left with only one hand. The problem is, this is illegal and 100% PI as the rules are written. He is impeading the receivers ability to catch the ball. The fact the DB is looking back is irrelevant to the rule.  This play doesn’t always get called because the contact is normally hidden from the refs view when the DB is in phase with the WR.  Go back and watch any game you like since KS has been here, our Dbs are always hand fighting or have a fist full of jersey just inside the chest of the receiver.  

With that said, if the refs are not going to call it, then why stop?  I think that has been the philosophy to this point.  But it appears that they have received enough complaints they are now watching for it and going to call a lot more often.  We better change techniques or we will continue to see flags flying in the secondary.  Its time to start teaching more sideline press technique and playing through the receivers chest from the numbers up.  

The mindset the refs wont throw a flag every play even if there is an infraction does not need to continue.  They have zeroed in on our secondary and the technique.  Mark my words, if we dont adjust, it will cost us in more big games down the road.  

We have talent all over the field. We need the coaching to start using that talent properly and stop forcing old techiniques and philosophies when it does not fit our players or how the game is changing.  

WDE

46 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

First time poster and longtime silent observer.  Attended most every home game from late 80s to early 2000s. Graduated in 97 with a Business Degree. 

This thread for some reason hit a nerve with me and pushed me to register and post.  I personally cant stand to watch any fans complain about penalties costing a game. But to see fellow AU fans so worked up about the officiating last Saturday and not pointing out all the “real” reasons we lost is disappointing.  

We could go down a laundry list of how we gave that game away and allowed LSU to go home with a win.  However, its easy and less accountable if we just choose to blame the refs rather than poor OL play, inconsistent DL play, lack of a strong running game, poor play calling, inefficient use of our strengths as well as the continuous teaching of our dbs to be too handsy. 

CKS teaches the dbs to be very handsy and to impeed or restrict the WRs by grasping the chest or jersey inside the receivers frame.  He also teaches the technique of getting inside the recievers chest and grabbing their forearm or wrist prior to the ball ariving. This is nothing new, he has taught this from day one.  I know for a fact, because I have been on the turf more than once when he was teaching how to get inside the receiver and disrupt their rhythm.  This use to be the NFL way to teach DBs but that no longer works because of their rule changes either.  We have gotten away with numerous borderline PI calls over the last several years and it was only a matter of time before it came back to cost us at the wrong time. 

This particular play that the OP posted is a perfect example of exactly how our dbs are being taught. The WRs forearm is grabbed 7 yards before the ball arives. As he starts to reach up for the ball the dbs hand slides down the forearm into the crease of the elbow. Textbook old shool inside technique. Thus the WR cant reach up with two hands to catch the ball and is left with only one hand. The problem is, this is illegal and 100% PI as the rules are written. He is impeading the receivers ability to catch the ball. The fact the DB is looking back is irrelevant to the rule.  This play doesn’t always get called because the contact is normally hidden from the refs view when the DB is in phase with the WR.  Go back and watch any game you like since KS has been here, our Dbs are always hand fighting or have a fist full of jersey just inside the chest of the receiver.  

With that said, if the refs are not going to call it, then why stop?  I think that has been the philosophy to this point.  But it appears that they have received enough complaints they are now watching for it and going to call a lot more often.  We better change techniques or we will continue to see flags flying in the secondary.  Its time to start teaching more sideline press technique and playing through the receivers chest from the numbers up.  

The mindset the refs wont throw a flag every play even if there is an infraction does not need to continue.  They have zeroed in on our secondary and the technique.  Mark my words, if we dont adjust, it will cost us in more big games down the road.  

We have talent all over the field. We need the coaching to start using that talent properly and stop forcing old techiniques and philosophies when it does not fit our players or how the game is changing.  

WDE

An awful lot of validity to what you said. I watched the replay after they called it and I had to agree it was an infraction whether PI or holding might be in question. I agree we should never have been in a situation where  this affected the outcome of the game. A bad hike and missed FG and third and fourth down play to same spot instead of kicking the FG and taking the points when you have the opportunity. The long LSU touchdown pass never should have happened either multiple ways we could have won where the PI wouldn't have mattered. That said I think the biggest reason for the complaints was the non-call on a much more obvious PI or Hold on Slayton that even the announcers mentioned that Greedy got away with.  Dean at least tried to hide the way he interfered Greedy reached up and grabbed the jersey on top of his should pads hard enough to cause Slayton to lose his step and actually turn him a little and Ref was in a perfect position to see it. That was either PI or Holding infraction it would have given us another 4 downs and burned a lot of clock.  It occurred before the meltdown and the long LSU touchdown.

All I know is that #12 is running behind receivers who have ran past him an awful lot, especially for a guy who is said to have 4.4 speed. 

Archived