Criticism from Stidham's Camp

Farmer Brown

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO and I've been around a long time...but our history and tradition is spotty at best.  We have been an up and down team going all the way back to my campus days.

Mostly we accepted our fate as the not- state name university  which is a pretty hard place to be considering we are in the same state with a corrupt football factory.  

We rejoiced with our occasional top 5 or top 10 finishes but did not come to expect those kind of seasons as our due....and usually tolerated the 8 or 9 win seasons that followed a really good season but after a couple of those disappointments we pulled the plug and the new coach usually produced  a couple good years in return...and then it was time to do it again.     Sounds like we might be there once again. .  

Yeah I mostly agree but all that considered we are stil an all time top 15-16 program. There are a lot of schools who would love to have our history and tradition I’m sure. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO and I've been around a long time...but our history and tradition is spotty at best.  We have been an up and down team going all the way back to my campus days.

Mostly we accepted our fate as the not- state name university  which is a pretty hard place to be considering we are in the same state with a corrupt football factory.  

We rejoiced with our occasional top 5 or top 10 finishes but did not come to expect those kind of seasons as our due....and usually tolerated the 8 or 9 win seasons that followed a really good season but after a couple of those disappointments we pulled the plug and the new coach usually produced  a couple good years in return...and then it was time to do it again.     Sounds like we might be there once again. .  

I'd be satisfied with competency after the last two Head Coaches.  Consistency.  10+ win seasons with 9 wins being a down year being the expectation

To be able to take on anyone and be 50/50 at worst because the players are mentally tough and physically ready.

I want leadership.

WDE.

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m a bit annoyed his girl friend would retweet it. I’m not defending malzahn but the overthrow to slayton was not dumb coaching .....

I feel like people are hung up on this play and a few others and think there’s no reason for Stidham to complain or be frustrated, and I just couldn't disagree more. He’s certainly missed on some plays and isn’t playing well, but IMO there’s a much bigger issue with the overall offensive system.  

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

They look the worst in all of this. And IMO the rift between Gus and Chip on how the offense should be run is a big part of the reason for the other offensive locker room issues. I think there’s a trickle down effect that’s happening that starts at the very top, and it’s causing a heap of internal issues. 

Is there any evidence of that or are you assuming?

(Serious, no offense intended.)

(And sorry for the pun.) ;D

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

(Serious, no offense intended)

I can't speak for the other poster, but my gods if (2+) people willingly conspired together to put this mess on the field it would be so much worse than what he's suggesting.

8 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I'd be satisfied with competency after the last two Head Coaches.  Consistency.  10+ win seasons with 9 wins being a down year being the expectation

To be able to take on anyone and be 50/50 at worst because the players are mentally tough and physically ready.

I want leadership.

WDE.

Don't blame you but who was the last "competent" coach we had by your definition and expectations?    Not sure we have ever had one?  

9 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I can't speak for the other poster, but my gods if (2+) people willingly conspired together to put this mess on the field it would be so much worse than what he's suggesting.

I get your point, but how so? Could our offense get any worse?    :dunno:

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't blame you but who was the last "competent" coach we had by your definition and expectations?    Not sure we have ever had one?  

Pat Dye?  Tuberville?

15 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I feel like people are hung up on this play and a few others and think there’s no reason for Stidham to complain or be frustrated, and I just couldn't disagree more. He’s certainly missed on some plays and isn’t playing well, but IMO there’s a much bigger issue with the overall offensive system.  

Well you seem to be one of the level headed ones around, so I trust your judgment (and I’m certainly no expert by any means). Think I’m letting that Marcello article get in my head. I guess I want our QB to at least look like it matters......of course, some would say the same thing about the coach.

26 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m a bit annoyed his girl friend would retweet it. I’m not defending malzahn but the overthrow to slayton was not dumb coaching .....

I get what your saying, but refresh my memory on which direction Stidham was running when he overthrew that pass?:yes:  If you've ever actually thrown a football as a right hander rolling right and rolling left are a huge difference in how hard you have to throw the ball for the same distance.  Yeah, he should have completed the pass, but I understand why he overthrew the crap out of him.

13 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah I mostly agree but all that considered we are stil an all time top 15-16 program. There are a lot of schools who would love to have our history and tradition I’m sure. 

True but you have to admit it's tough being a top 15 every year when most of the conference also sees themselves the same way...hires top coaches, financially supports the program heavily and is fully engaged in the football arms race.     

Seems maybe since Dye, we have swapped consistency for occasional bursts of greatness, usually built around a couple exceptional players who have carried the team.....but with the inability to consistently recruit guys like that.     Lots of that success depends on the quality of Alabama HS grads and while we have had some exceptional players at RB and elsewhere, we don't have uniformity of talent.....almost always some Achilles' heel to our teams that causes them fail to meet expectations...key player gets hurt, or an expected star QB does not deliver as expected, or a stud player gets booted off the team. . 

Guess I've seen this kind of thing so much that I'm rarely surprised when it occurs and have come to accept it as "Auburn being Auburn" 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tuberville was until things got stupid.  He built one helluva program between 1999-2006, including building one of the best teams to ever play NCAA football.

I'd like better than what he ultimately provided, but I never felt like we put an incompetent product on the field.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I get what your saying, but refresh my memory on which direction Stidham was running when he overthrew that pass?:yes:  If you've ever actually thrown a football as a right hander rolling right and rolling left are a huge difference in how hard you have to throw the ball for the same distance.  Yeah, he should have completed the pass, but I understand why he overthrew the crap out of him.

Isn't that basic trade craft though?

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Pat Dye?

8  seasons of 9 wins or fewer?    But he did get bama to play in JHS and I'm forever grateful for that....:)

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True but you have to admit it's tough being a top 15 every year when most of the conference also sees themselves the same way...hires top coaches, financially supports the program heavily and is fully engaged in the football arms race.     

Seems maybe since Dye, we have swapped consistency for occasional bursts of greatness, usually built around a couple exceptional players who have carried the team.....but with the inability to consistently recruit guys like that.     Lots of that success depends on the quality of Alabama HS grads and while we have had some exceptional players at RB and elsewhere, we don't have uniformity of talent.....almost always some Achilles' heel to our teams that causes them fail to meet expectations...key player gets hurt, or an expected star QB does not deliver as expected, or a stud player gets booted off the team. . 

Guess I've seen this kind of thing so much that I'm rarely surprised when it occurs and have come to accept it as "Auburn being Auburn" 

"Football arms race"   ;D:bow:  

Just now, oracle79 said:

I definitely have never thrown any football 😬. I actually think I don’t remember the play correctly bc I thought the ball was flipped back to him. Did not remember him rolling.  Most of you are much more knowledgeable relative to the details.  I’m just a 40 year fan. Never played.

4 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Tuberville was until things got stupid.  He built one helluva program between 1999-2006, including building one of the best teams to ever play NCAA football.

I'd like better than what he ultimately provided, but I never felt like we put an incompetent product on the field.

you remember the 3-2 game right?

3 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

8 seasons of 9 or fewer wins.....like Dye...but had the good fortune to be coaching when bama was making really bad hiring decisions. 

And you must have missed the game, arky I think,  where they slaughtered a favored AU team.....if so, good for you...:) 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. I guess I just believe if we could get the meddlers to stop meddling and find the right coach we could rise above that. 

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

8  seasons of 9 wins or fewer?    But he did get bama to play in JHS and I'm forever grateful for that....:)

In 11 game seasons though.  Much different than today's game of 12-14 games/season.  Look at percentages, not totals.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

(Serious, no offense intended)

Not sure there is evidence other than what I’ve heard and been told. There isn’t anything written that I can point you to. I have some friends who have connections to some offensive coaches. And I know that Gus and Chip come from significantly different offensive backgrounds. 

Archived