Criticism from Stidham's Camp

Farmer Brown

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Tubs may have been lazy recruiting but that doesn’t change the fact he took less talented players and i proved them whereas our current coach is under utilizing talented players.

Agreed, but I still have an inordinate disdain for Tubs and always will.  Probably moreso than Gus.  I consider Gus stubborn, not lazy.  Laziness drives me more insane.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Agreed, but I still have an inordinate disdain for Tubs and always will.  Probably moreso than Gus.  I consider Gus stubborn, not lazy.  Laziness drives me more insane.

To each his own my friend. 

Recruiting has never been better under Gus..

2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 Average

He does do less with more. IMO.

Read this on Tubberville...

Under Tommy Tuberville, the average star rating of any particular class never topped 3.0.

8 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Read this on Tubberville...

Under Tommy Tuberville, the average star rating of any particular class never topped 3.0.

Thats cool but when you miss out on key positions such as OL and under utilize these 4 and 5 *  then it doesnt mean much 

To the point of the original post, we’re undefeated if Stidham manages to get his long bomb timing down with his receivers. LSU and Moo State games we had wide open receivers overthrown on would be touchdowns. Complain all you want, there’s a lion’s share of blame to go around.

11 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Gus is just in over his head. Peter Principle. Now the AU administration giving him that contract, you could make a case for dumb

THIS! Gus has been promoted to his level of incompetence...period.

Tub's career peaked in 2004 through what might be called a confluence of events....that being the fact that a bunch of NFL quality guys showed up on campus at the same time..and an undefeated season though some games were closer than might be expected considering the talent AU had on hand.    An occasional very good year thereafter but Caddy and Brown and Campbell....along with some future NFL guys on the OL.....not doubt that was his best recruiting effort and best results on the field.   His teams played some real stinkers over the years that had many of us shaking our heads at the time.

I don't know that Tubs really did more with less....his recruiting was not consistent and when he had the studs, like most coaches, his teams did well, and when he did not have them....well there was the 3-2 game and the loss to a really bad bama team and to vandy….

Gus has done well recruiting but the averages have been skewed sometimes by a handful of highly rated players....a good number of whom ended up with "personal" problems or maybe injuries and never saw much playing time...and there was/is not much depth to cover the losses.  JS has the best corp of receivers that AU has seen in many years and he just needs to put the passes where they can reach them. 

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

THIS! Gus has been promoted to his level of incompetence...period.

Could be...many coaches and business executives eventually get promoted to a job above what they are capable of....though not that unusual in college football....and NFL too if you think about guys like Chip Kelly most recently and lots of others if you think of all the Div 1 coaches fired in the last few years.  But in our case, a very expensive decision...and it's personal. Not much solace to the fact that lots of schools make the same mistake.  .  

JMO but other than Chip,  think Gus has a pretty good staff and hoping we see a new OC next season.    don't think firing Gus is gonna happen , nor would it change things quickly as some would have us believe. 

Losing will often bring out the worst in people. I have no doubt there is stife in the locker room, with players taking sides, making hurtful comments, and probably strife within the staff. 

Heck, there is even strife within AUFF.  We even have a member threatening another member with physical violence and there has been plenty of name calling.  So much for “family.”

13 hours ago, boomstick said:

I think the issues with his camp are deeper than just Stidham’s poor play right now. They’re probably going to blame a lot of his mistakes on Gus. That’s what loved ones do in situations like these. 

i am pretty sure stidham did not build any kind of rep by being a dumbass. the truth is we are speculating on many things. it could be one thing or a dozen things. the fact we have several ex auburn players unhappy with gus is telling to me.

16 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Losing will often bring out the worst in people. I have no doubt there is stife in the locker room, with players taking sides, making hurtful comments, and probably strife within the staff. 

Heck, there is even strife within AUFF.  We even have a member threatening another member with physical violence and there has been plenty of name calling.  So much for “family.”

You should meet my family...

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

Not sure there is evidence other than what I’ve heard and been told. There isn’t anything written that I can point you to. I have some friends who have connections to some offensive coaches. And I know that Gus and Chip come from significantly different offensive backgrounds. 

I was surprised that Chip was still here this year, did not get the right job offer, obviously.   Anyone that says 'Chip is happy' is full of BS and are proving that they have no clue what is going on. 

The next snap I play at quarterback will be my first, so I can't say I know what JS is going through during games. I also am not in the locker room or in team meetings so I would know nothing about team happiness or dissension. 

All I know from the outside looking in is that JS is part of the problem, as are the coaches, the poor play calling by the coach, the preparation in practice by the coaches and players, and the execution by they players on the field. 

26 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

yeah, that was pretty pathetic, lost any respect for that poster.

13 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Gus is hardly dumb.........dumb like a fox maybe.

since he signed that fat contract we are four and four. i would call gus stubborn. he is not stupid but he is more than frustrating......

12 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m a bit annoyed his girl friend would retweet it. I’m not defending malzahn but the overthrow to slayton was not dumb coaching .....

is that really fair? stidham is getting cremed in the press and sports board and you are annoyed because his gf is taking up for him? ok then..............

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is that really fair? stidham is getting cremed in the press and sports board and you are annoyed because his gf is taking up for him? ok then..............

My two cents....but willis’ tweet was more taking up for him. Calling his coach dumb publicly Is not appropriate whether he is or not (and yes I know she did not send the original tweet, but my understanding is she retweeted it. If that’s not the case, I stand corrected).

9 minutes ago, chimes said:

Can someone summarize the Marcello post/article?

defense has a few leaders. they are frustrated with Stidhams lack of giving a $%%^. offense lacks any team leadership. people are ready to declare for the draft first opportunity they get. We screwed. (I added the last part)

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

since he signed that fat contract we are four and four. i would call gus stubborn. he is not stupid but he is more than frustrating......

Not saying this is the case by any means........I dont personally know Coach GM and the only contact I have had with him was a hand shake and back pat........both during Tiger Walk..........In my opinion it appears he runs a clean program................However, if he is indeed stubborn and the likely hood of him being fired very slim........that could be one toxic brew.......again I have no knowledge of whats going on.

I do feel as if the contract distraction could have aided in last years bowl losses..........He was on a streak and the time to go all in for his benefit and cant say I havent done the same thing.........only to a much smaller degree salary wise...

I do not fault him for landing a huge salary\buy out.........He is however responsible for the product on the field and needs to make the necessary decisions to correct it...........regardless if its position changes or play calling.......changes need to be made......War Eagle!

48 minutes ago, chimes said:

Can someone summarize the Marcello post/article?

Here are some cliffs:

What he's hearing:
- "Several players are discussing departures after this season"
- Apparently Stidham's happy go-lucky and smiling self isn't winning any hearts and mind. Players are saying he lacks killer instinct. 
- Players aren't just whispering unhappiness with Gus, but are growing more audible
- "Stidham is disconnected from the team"
- "Malzahn is unaware of these opinions in his locker room". 
- "Several receivers are frustrated with Stidham"

His opinions
- He'd be surprised if Chip Lindsey doesn't look for a way out after this season 
- He believes what's happening now is not constructive and is bordering on cancerous.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I was surprised that Chip was still here this year, did not get the right job offer, obviously.   Anyone that says 'Chip is happy' is full of BS and are proving that they have no clue what is going on. 

Agreed. He had some serious issues with the situation last year, specifically after the Clemson game. I believe there was also a blowup after LSU. I think his contract and only being here one year made things difficult for him to get out. I don't think those same difficulties will be present this year.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

but isn't stubborn to the point of failure pretty stupid?

12 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Auburn has a player development and retention problem.  Those gaudy recruiting ranks are all fine and good and they give the fans something to brag about until............you look back at the highly rated players that are no longer on this team to provide leadership, depth and offer their skills to help this team.

Archived