Criticism from Stidham's Camp

Farmer Brown

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Here are some cliffs:

What he's hearing:
- "Several players are discussing departures after this season"
- Apparently Stidham's happy go-lucky and smiling self isn't winning any hearts and mind. Players are saying he lacks killer instinct. 
- Players aren't just whispering unhappiness with Gus, but are growing more audible
- "Stidham is disconnected from the team"
- "Malzahn is unaware of these opinions in his locker room". 
- "Several receivers are frustrated with Stidham"

His opinions
- He'd be surprised if Chip Lindsey doesn't look for a way out after this season 
- He believes what's happening now is not constructive and is bordering on cancerous.

How reliable is this guy? Sorry, I don't read the pay sites

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, shabby said:

defense has a few leaders. they are frustrated with Stidhams lack of giving a $%%^. offense lacks any team leadership. people are ready to declare for the draft first opportunity they get. We screwed. (I added the last part)

Sad as it is, there's some truth to those assertions whether we hate Marcello or not.  It's the only explanation for the piss poor execution and total lack of making in-game defensive adjustments when Fitz ran for damn near 200 yrds straight up the middle all night and MSU controlled the TOP when our defense wouldn't make a play to get off teh field.

6 minutes ago, selias said:

He’s reliable enough. He’s no friend to AU with what he writes and his time at al dot com taught him the value of expressing the negative side of every situation. That said, what he said is completely plausible. 

Not to burn down a team I love but all of them that have a shot of getting drafted should go for it. Those capable of transferring should do so. Auburn doesn’t have the money to get rid of the sinking ship and buy a new one but these kids can get on a life boat!

21 minutes ago, selias said:

He’s reliable in the sense that he has access, solid sources, and wouldn’t just blatantly make it up. But he’s always had a negative tone towards the program IMO. I think he dislikes Gus’s restrictive policies and actions towards the media. So, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out he juiced that story up just a bit with a little more negativity or omitted sources that said the issues were overblown and not a big deal. He’s looking to stir the pot in the Auburn world IMO and has succeeded. 

That’s not to say there aren’t issues in the locker room, but it seems like a bit of a pot shot at the program to get this info just after a loss and then publish this a day or two later. It would be a lot more alarming to me had this been written after the Southern Miss win. 

I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if every bit of that was true. Most of it reads as common sense. The only point that makes me think twice is that Gus is completely unaware of all the strife- that’s truly hard to believe. I will say that if any coach in America is aloof, out of touch with reality, and wearing rose colored glasses it’s our head coach. 

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

He’s reliable in the sense that he has access, solid sources, and wouldn’t just blatantly make it up. But he’s always had a negative tone towards the program IMO. I think he dislikes Gus’s restrictive policies and actions towards the media. So, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out he juiced that story up just a bit with a little more negativity or omitted sources that said the issues were overblown and not a big deal. He’s looking to stir the pot in the Auburn world IMO and has succeeded. 

Stir the pot is exactly what BMarcell will do we all know that. 

But there is simply no other explanation for what we saw on defense Saturday night, the lack of execution and unwillingness to get the job done or adjust to plug up Fitz was totally uncharacteristic for this AU defense.  That defense has thrived on domination for far too long to allow themselves to be run over all night - they played with no pride.

We had a few players take advantage of the red-shirt rule, they left mid-season (some starters), we had couple more that considered leaving and had to be talked into staying on the team.  How do those couple of players feel today, any better any worse? 

Now there's rumor that the defense is disgruntled, we know who the defensive leaders are and we saw their attention to detail and execution fall off tremendously vs msu.  

Whether you like Marcello or not, he's not saying anything 3/4 of us posters aren't also saying right now.

....only he DOES have actual access and sources, so TIFWIW...

5 minutes ago, chimes said:

I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if every bit of that was true. Most of it reads as common sense. The only point that makes me think twice is that Gus is completely unaware of all the strife- that’s truly hard to believe. I will say that if any coach in America is aloof, out of touch with reality, and wearing rose colored glasses it’s our head coach. 

When Gus had a handful of players (a few starters) take their red-shirt mid-season AND when he had to talk a couple of other players into staying when they were considering leaving, then he knows.  Something's going on, even Steele's attitude changed recently - he knows, the position coaches know and the BOSS knows.

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

When Gus had a handful of players (a few starters) take their red-shirt mid-season AND when he had to talk a couple of other players into staying when they were considering leaving, then he knows.  Something's going on, even Steele's attitude changed recently - he knows, the position coaches know and the BOSS knows.

I sure as hell hope so 

16 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Don't know if this has been posted or not. Kind of interesting...

Messages like this from the Twitter account of the brother of Stidham's guardian makes you wonder how bad things have gotten in the locker room.

comment.jpg

The comment was posted on Saturday, and liked and retweeted by Stidham's fiancee, Kennedy Brown. (Copeland later deleted his Twitter comment after this column was published.)

Wow.. that's a lot of nerve to sit there and watch Stidham overthrow receivers time after time, take sacks instead  of hitting the wide open receiver, not recognize coverage and the list goes on and on.. and call the HEAD COACH DUMB??? hmmmm.. 

6 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Wow.. that's a lot of nerve to sit there and watch Stidham overthrow receivers time after time, take sacks instead  of hitting the wide open receiver, not recognize coverage and the list goes on and on.. and call the HEAD COACH DUMB??? hmmmm.. 

Actually he is right. The head coach is dumb...for not benching the QB for at least 1 series. 

The more interesting thing to me is that the fiance "liked" and retweeted it.  I mean, I would think her and Stids talk a bit.... wondering what he says to her to make her "agree" with Copeland?

29 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

He was able to do all those things last year and at Baylor. A few other can't-miss, blue chip QBs have failed miserably under Gus. Why do all of these guys keep forgetting how to play QB when they get to Auburn? hmmmm..

9 years with Gus as OC or HC. Abject failure at the QB position in 4 of them, including 3 of the last 4. (Ok, except for that 4-game run in 2016 when Sean White was healthy and Rhett was calling the plays.)

We have a coaching problem.

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

Is there any evidence of that or are you assuming?

(Serious, no offense intended.)

(And sorry for the pun.) ;D

I don't think there are any articles or anything about it, but even mods on this site are talking about how Chip has a foot out the door. 

And it's not difficult to see this isn't Chips offense. Look at the Arizona State team he was the OC of, look at the Southern Miss team he was OC of. Southern Miss and Arizona States offense both resembles each other. Here, his offenses look not so differently from Lashlees offenses under Gus. 

It's time to stop blaming the variables (Lindsey and Lashlee) and blame the constant (Malzahn.) 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

8 seasons of 9 or fewer wins.....like Dye...but had the good fortune to be coaching when bama was making really bad hiring decisions. 

And you must have missed the game, arky I think,  where they slaughtered a favored AU team.....if so, good for you...:) 

Yep October 7, 2006... Arkansas goes to #2 Auburn and takes out the Tigers at home, behind OC Gus Malzahn, lol 

3 hours ago, chimes said:

Can someone summarize the Marcello post/article?

Google Search "Auburn SEC Rant" you will find the whole article. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Auburn has a player development and retention problem.  Those gaudy recruiting ranks are all fine and good and they give the fans something to brag about until............you look back at the highly rated players that are no longer on this team to provide leadership, depth and offer their skills to help this team.

This is true but the teams that win championships do well in recruiting. If you finish top 10 in recruiting, even with normal player progression, it gives you sufficient talent to compete for championships. 

Just my thought for what it worth ( not much) our problem at AU is much like gambling . When someone hits a one in a million jackpot and we think we can do it also. Nick Saben probably is not that much better than a lot of  coaches probably just has had more luck than others. He hit the SEC at the perfect time. Teams were down and coaches were moving on like Tubby, Phil, and Spurior just to mention a few. Bama had been thru ten years of trash, hiring and firing coaches to no end. Uat was so determined they threw all their resources at Saben’s Feet. He used it well. He has some good tv ability. He got ESPN and others behind them. They used their influence to help uat recruit well. He got a lot of tv time. He also used it to make it to final games when others with the same record would not. His resurrection brought not only money to ESPN but also the NCAA and the SEC. He became too big to control. The NCAA and SEC just looked the other way while they bent the rules. Used the refs to ensure they kept their cash cow out front. And because of that uat has had success. No one will be able to do that again for quite sometime. Not just the SEC but anywhere. That said we need to quit throwing away money trying to beat a million to one coach. We need to find a coach like Pat Dye that came and tried to create a sustainable program. Unfortunately Gus is not that guy. Gus is a three card monte guy. His success depends on slight of hand and a once in a decade QB to run it. We need a Bob Stoops or Steve Spurior kind of guy that wants to come to A U and build a program to be proud of not a coach that is just trying to impress folks with how smart he is. As much as Gus tries to portray himself as a really good guy he is really just a guy with a big ego. Everything is about him not about the players and never will be.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

The more interesting thing to me is that the fiance "liked" and retweeted it.  I mean, I would think her and Stids talk a bit.... wondering what he says to her to make her "agree" with Copeland?

One has gotta think he vents to her and his parents/guardians the most about what's going on inside the program, and in his case how he's being used (or misused) in the system. I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to Art Briles about it some too. 

And nope, it definitely doesn't excuse his poor play (missing open WRs etc) but I'm sure dating back to last year Stidz has been frustrated as he probably envisioned a much different looking O. 

His fiancee is probably also frustrated because she probably has NFL dreams for him too. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Just my thought for what it worth ( not much) our problem at AU is much like gambling . When someone hits a one in a million jackpot and we think we can do it also. Nick Saben probably is not that much better than a lot of  coaches probably just has had more luck than others. He hit the SEC at the perfect time. Teams were down and coaches were moving on like Tubby, Phil, and Spurior just to mention a few. Bama had been thru ten years of trash, hiring and firing coaches to no end. Uat was so determined they threw all their resources at Saben’s Feet. He used it well. He has some good tv ability. He got ESPN and others behind them. They used their influence to help uat recruit well. He got a lot of tv time. He also used it to make it to final games when others with the same record would not. His resurrection brought not only money to ESPN but also the NCAA and the SEC. He became too big to control. The NCAA and SEC just looked the other way while they bent the rules. Used the refs to ensure they kept their cash cow out front. And because of that uat has had success. No one will be able to do that again for quite sometime. Not just the SEC but anywhere. That said we need to quit throwing away money trying to beat a million to one coach. We need to find a coach like Pat Dye that came and tried to create a sustainable program. Unfortunately Gus is not that guy. Gus is a three card monte guy. His success depends on slight of hand and a once in a decade QB to run it. We need a Bob Stoops or Steve Spurior kind of guy that wants to come to A U and build a program to be proud of not a coach that is just trying to impress folks with how smart he is. As much as Gus tries to portray himself as a really good guy he is really just a guy with a big ego. Everything is about him not about the players and never will be.

Tubs only moved on because of the Nick Saban effect (and Tubs wasn't the only HC in this conference to do so) - - and while some teams may have been down, UF Urban Meyer & LSU Les Miles were winning NCs when Saban arrived.   Really the SEC was ruling college ball when NS came in and it's still pretty much still ruling college football today. 

I do agree that AU needs to find a HC to build a sustainable program, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

55 minutes ago, Tiger said:

His fiancee is probably also frustrated because she probably has NFL dreams for him too. 

My Lord, she's watching him get murdered out there - she see's the media & message board talk - she see's the fan reaction.  It all just makes a gal wanna :puke:

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

Tubs only moved on because of the Nick Saban effect (and Tubs wasn't the only HC in this conference to do so) - - and while some teams may have been down, UF Urban Meyer & LSU Les Miles were winning NCs when Saban arrived.   Really the SEC was ruling college ball when NS came in and it's still pretty much still ruling college football today. 

I do agree that AU needs to find a HC to build a sustainable program, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

That's when I lost all respect for Meyer.  At least Tubs just has enough after fighting AUBURN for years he just saw the writing on the wall.  Les at least tried to fight and scratch against saban and they had to fire him.  Urban?  Oh I have to actually work hard so I'll blame heart issues until an easy job opens up...blech!

Funny that he has no competition in the big 10-11-12 and his ticker is just fine.  I am really disappointed that Harbaugh can't bring more "heart issues" *cough*lack of guts*cough* upon Urban.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He was able to do all those things last year and at Baylor. A few other can't-miss, blue chip QBs have failed miserably under Gus. Why do all of these guys keep forgetting how to play QB when they get to Auburn? hmmmm..

9 years with Gus as OC or HC. Abject failure at the QB position in 4 of them, including 3 of the last 4. (Ok, except for that 4-game run in 2016 when Sean White was healthy and Rhett was calling the plays.)

We have a coaching problem.

Agree we have a coaching problem..but we also have a QB problem.. The calls were there.. the WRS were open..QB couldn’t hit them.. in fact he wasn’t close.. and he has done this all season.. that wasn’t coached out of him.... qb1 owns that.. he hasn’t looked good since the Washington game... 

Honest question.. how can you blame a head coach or any coach for that matter for badly over throwing open receivers? Seriously.. did he forget how to play qb? 

7 hours ago, boomstick said:

That’s not to say there aren’t issues in the locker room, but it seems like a bit of a pot shot at the program to get this info just after a loss and then publish this a day or two later. It would be a lot more alarming to me had this been written after the Southern Miss win. 

after all of the bad press etc that nutt during the arky mess i am not sure i blame gus for that. i could be wrong but until someone proves to me i am wrong nutt hung gus out to dry at arkie when i believe nutt was the problem. there were some pretty tough stories coming out with some serious bashing that some people claiming were lies trying to make gus look bad. as far as restricted media goes i do not like it but i understand it. to me the important thing is it makes it less of a worry and frees up more time to spend on coaching.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I agree 

21 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Tossed to him as he was running to his left.  Very easy to over juice the ball as your torso turns right and then left to aid the throw.

A speed receiver was at least 15-20 yards past any other human being not wearing a striped uniform holding a whistle. The only way that doesn’t work is to OVERTHROW him. He managed to overthrow him. The play call was genius. The execution was too except for one guy. We don’t have to beat him up repeatedly over it but You can’t put that on anyone else. 

Archived