The ultimate defender

corchjay

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Any scheme works if you execute.  Some may be a little better then other schemes but for the most part if you can win the majority of individual battles plus execute at a high rate you will put up points.  

...and that's why Gus should just use his offense with the right QB and see how it works.

He's sabatoged himself with this desire to prove his offense works with NFL type pocket passers.  He removes a key (maybe THE key) component to make it go (well, having a semi-competent OL would help) and we've had the same result now for 4+ years.

The weird thing is that he seems to have no problem recruiting the right type (JF3, Jason Smith, Malik Willis, maybe Joey Gatewood) but he won't give them a chance.  ...or if they make a mistake he's quick to yank them even though JS can puke all over the field and can't GET pulled...

Note: I say "maybe" Joey Gatewood because is he more Cam or more Jeremy?  Guess we'll never know.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, aubcali said:

Gus is not as safe as a lot of you guys think.  

Maybe you have info from higher ups but if you're getting info from the bunker... no thanks.  That place is a cesspool for AU football.  But if that is true what you say then the Auburn Football program is in serious trouble unless Meyer or Saban is coming to town because any coach would be an idiot to come here after a coach just won his division and getting a huge pay raise only to be fired the next year because of a poor season.  I'm not saying a firing wouldn't be justified based off this season but you can't pony up $49 million and say you are behind a coach just to lay waste to them at the first trouble.  The new contract was basically just kind of hitting the reset button... Saying here you go it's your program... 

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

...and that's why Gus should just use his offense with the right QB and see how it works.

He's sabatoged himself with this desire to prove his offense works with NFL type pocket passers.  He removes a key (maybe THE key) component to make it go (well, having a semi-competent OL would help) and we've had the same result now for 4+ years.

The weird thing is that he seems to have no problem recruiting the right type (JF3, Jason Smith, Malik Willis, maybe Joey Gatewood) but he won't give them a chance.  ...or if they make a mistake he's quick to yank them even though JS can puke all over the field and can't GET pulled...

Note: I say "maybe" Joey Gatewood because is he more Cam or more Jeremy?  Guess we'll never know.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind to see someone else get a few series tbh..at this point what else do we have to lose. The season is continuously drowning. Those guys will make mistakes but our starter has made a crapload this season.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Maybe you have info from higher ups but if you're getting info from the bunker... no thanks.  That place is a cesspool for AU football.  But if that is true what you say then the Auburn Football program is in serious trouble unless Meyer or Saban is coming to town because any coach would be an idiot to come here after a coach just won his division and getting a huge pay raise only to be fired the next year because of a poor season.  I'm not saying a firing wouldn't be justified based off this season but you can't pony up $49 million and say you are behind a coach just to lay waste to them at the first trouble.  The new contract was basically just kind of hitting the reset button... Saying here you go it's your program... 

It was not a reset button. It was a trust button. We trust that you finally have gotten your act together. This is his 6th year. Gus is not seen as favorable as some of you are trying to make it out to be. I remember last summer the anonymous coach said that Gus is way overpaid. I believe that is how many of his counterparts think of him. 

Just now, DAG said:

It was not a reset button. It was a trust button. We trust that you finally have gotten your act together. This is his 6th year. Gus is not seen as favorable as some of you are trying to make it out to be. I remember last summer the anonymous coach said that Gus is way overpaid. I believe that is how many of his counterparts think of him. 

Yes trust button is probably more correct but still it applies.  Overpaid or not we are where we are and with our recent past with Chiz after the MNC at least the admin could sell the it was really Gus that led us to the 'ship... but this a firing after the contract would be that firing times 2 in the coaching community.  IMO

Just now, corchjay said:

Yes trust button is probably more correct but still it applies.  Overpaid or not we are where we are and with our recent past with Chiz after the MNC at least the admin could sell the it was really Gus that led us to the 'ship... but this a firing after the contract would be that firing times 2 in the coaching community.  IMO

Well he won’t get fired because of the ridiculous buy out he has, but if he got fired would it scare away coaches from Auburn? I don’t think so. Like I said, IMO, I think most of the country and his counterparts believe that Gus does way less with more. If anything it would be a justifiable firing but Auburn would look like fools for actually believing in him just like that.

This is not his first rodeo. He has been this way for quite some time now. Let’s see how it plays out. If we go 6-6, we going to see how many people honestly will be behind him. Losing to Tennessee with his contract is absolutely despicable. There is no other way to put it.

No reason Stidham shouldn't be successful in this offense. No reason this offense shouldn't be able to be tweaked to work with various skill sets. 

With the disarray on the OL, I'm not sure it matters if there is a passing QB or running QB in the backfield.  We just need one at the moment who isn't continually making mistakes, missing reads, WR's and turning the ball over at critical times.

IMO, Stidham should not start the next game, at least the first series or two. Put Willis or Sanberg in to see how the D reacts. Perhaps it will light a bit of a fire under Jarrett to focus on his job. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I wouldn’t mind to see someone else get a few series tbh..at this point what else do we have to lose. The season is continuously drowning. Those guys will make mistakes but our starter has made a crapload this season.

One of my biggest problem with Gus is not allowing the backups to come in and get meaningful snaps or even get meaningful snaps in practice. @StatTiger said this earlier.. the backups are not ready to go because they are not allowed to run the entire offense.. that is on Gus. I thought he should have benched stidham yesterday.. Willis should be able to run every aspect of this offense and the fact that he is not trusted to do so makes me furious. 

Just now, AuMarine said:

One of my biggest problem with Gus is not allowing the backups to come in and get meaningful snaps or even get meaningful snaps in practice. @StatTiger said this earlier.. the backups are not ready to go because they are not allowed to run the entire offense.. that is on Gus. I thought he should have benched stidham yesterday.. Willis should be able to run every aspect of this offense and the fact that he is not trusted to do so makes me furious. 

Yeah I can’t think of a time this season, even when the game was in hand that the back up is getting meaningful snaps. It really puts them at a disadvantage. I also get sick of hearing, they just can’t be trusted or aren’t ready. Well, isn’t that another part of your OC job? Having a serviceable back up need be? 

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

No reason Stidham shouldn't be successful in this offense. No reason this offense shouldn't be able to be tweaked to work with various skill sets. 

With the disarray on the OL, I'm not sure it matters if there is a passing QB or running QB in the backfield.  We just need one at the moment who isn't continually making mistakes, missing reads, WR's and turning the ball over at critical times.

IMO, Stidham should not start the next game, at least the first series or two. Put Willis or Sanberg in to see how the D reacts. Perhaps it will light a bit of a fire under Jarrett to focus on his job. 

I almost completely agree with everything you said.  I'd start Stidham to see how we roll especially on the road but any lag in going up and down the field I get someone a shot a series to see if they can provide a spark.  

I can't name one QB in the conference that Jarrett has played better than this year.  He's been horrible.   Yes we have OL issues and they were to be expected some going into the year and it appears we worked on a quick game for that but I did think we would run the ball a little better and that Stidham would be a stud.... but....... ummmm

Team Malik lol

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yeah I can’t think of a time this season, even when the game was in hand that the back up is getting meaningful snaps. It really puts them at a disadvantage. I also get sick of hearing, they just can’t be trusted or aren’t ready. Well, isn’t that another part of your OC job? Having a serviceable back up need be? 

Agree.. I blame Gus...with stidham struggling.. they should open up competition in practice .. forget redshirts.. put someone on the field who can hit the open receivers... I know the OL and running game has to be addressed as well. But damn if I would allow my QB to play so poorly and not put heat on him in practice or during the game to get better.. 

5 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Completely agree.  Drives me nuts to be up 34-10 with 11 minutes in the game for the backup offense to come in and run the same play over and over.  I understand just wanting to see how ball security, blocking, and getting snaps for your QB but by God please let them at least run a part of the offense even if they don't throw it.  

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

Agree.. I blame Gus...with stidham struggling.. they should open up competition in practice .. forget redshirts.. put someone on the field who can hit the open receivers... I know the OL and running game has to be addressed as well. But damn if I would allow my QB to play so poorly and not put heat on him in practice or during the game to get better.. 

I'm sure Stidham looks awesome in practice... Like JJ6 did... but when the lights come on it's to bright for them and panic sets in.   But Malik/Cord/ Joey/the water boy... all must be looking like total a$$ in practice to not get a chance at this point

Have to say I've been trashing Stidham for a while and he has played very poorly... but for the first time after yesterdays game I think it set in on him in his post game interview... that hey I cost us the game today.   And it look like it really hurt him and he made it clear over and over how much he loves the program, this team, and his teammates.  Maybe just maybe he takes on the challenge ahead of him

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I'm sure Stidham looks awesome in practice... Like JJ6 did... but when the lights come on it's to bright for them and panic sets in.   But Malik/Cord/ Joey/the water boy... all must be looking like total a$$ in practice to not get a chance at this point

I have no insider knowledge at all but I would be willing to bet that our dL has to stand there while stidham takes all day to find the open guy..no pressure on him..hell, I would look like an all American heisman contender in practice too.. I would also bet that not one backup QBs  takes snaps with the first team or is allowed to run the entire playbook in practice... he said so much yesterday after the loss.. he stayed with stidham because he gave us the best chance to win.. translation: none of our other QBs are prepared to run my offense. Yet that is totally on him.. 

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

This. I bet cord could move this team down the field with a mix of read and pass . At this point why not try everything with the 4 game rule in effect . 

3 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I have no insider knowledge at all but I would be willing to bet that our dL has to stand there while stidham takes all day to find the open guy..no pressure on him..hell, I would look like an all American heisman contender in practice too.. I would also bet that not one backup QBs  takes snaps with the first team or is allowed to run the entire playbook in practice... he said so much yesterday after the loss.. he stayed with stidham because he gave us the best chance to win.. translation: none of our other QBs are prepared to run my offense. Yet that is totally on him.. 

Practice reps are generally broken down 75% first team, 25% 2nd team, 0% 3rd team... Malik probably isn't ready to run the full offense because he never has... but if you can't score on UT with your #1 try something

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. I bet cord could move this team down the field with a mix of read and pass . At this point why not try everything with the 4 game rule in effect . 

Ehh. Don’t put too much hype on him. It would be nice though. I would like to see others get a chance though. Of course if they make one overthrow or make one bad read, you will hear the otherside say “See, this is why he is the back up.” lol 

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Practice reps are generally broken down 75% first team, 25% 2nd team, 0% 3rd team... Malik probably isn't ready to run the full offense because he never has... but if you can't score on UT with your #1 try something

Qb1 needs to stand on the side in practice while qb2 gets some reps and timing down with the first team. Jmo 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Ehh. Don’t put too much hype on him. It would be nice though. I would like to see others get a chance though. Of course if they make one overthrow or make one bad read, you will hear the otherside say “See, this is why he is the back up.” lol 

Personally I'm not sure Cord is the answer but I'm willing to see if he can bring anything to the table.   I think Malik should definitely get a shot to at least work with K-Mart on the zone read.  They were a pretty nasty combo in mop up duty together last year.  

Speaking of K-Mart... who's the biggest disappointment on the offensive side...

K-Mart? Stidham? Ryan Davis?  

For me I know it sounds crazy but maybe Ryan Davis.  Stidham we saw some of these problems last year but would depend on the OL/KJ to pick up the 3rd and shorts.  Kam just isn't as effect trying to be patient or with the extra weight.  But Davis.  Dropping/Missing easy throws.  He's a play maker but we need more from him

2 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Qb1 needs to stand on the side in practice while qb2 gets some reps and timing down with the first team. Jmo 

QB1 needs to go play safety or linebacker for a week so he will know if someone makes contact with him he won't die...

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Have to say I've been trashing Stidham for a while and he has played very poorly... but for the first time after yesterdays game I think it set in on him in his post game interview... that hey I cost us the game today.   And it look like it really hurt him and he made it clear over and over how much he loves the program, this team, and his teammates.  Maybe just maybe he takes on the challenge ahead of him

But I wonder if his teammates love him? It looks like Horton hates JS, because he didn't even attempt to touch the defensive player on some plays yesterday.

Just now, kd4au said:

But I wonder if his teammates love him? It looks like Horton hates JS, because he didn't even attempt to touch the defensive player on some plays yesterday.

Horton has struggled but has been banged up a lot.  I didn't watch a ton of the line yesterday because I thought they were generally playing better.  The biggie I noticed from the OL yesterday was the outside move in that Brahms kind of missed on that gave pressure up the middle.   Boobie and Miller are the only running backs that have gotten comfortable running the football.  It is interesting that they are the 2 biggest.  I'm all for Asa coming in and getting 8-10 carries and 20 or so snaps this next game.  Boobie and Asa i think could be a very good 1-2 punch over the next couple years but get them ready for next year now... 

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Horton has struggled but has been banged up a lot. 

Didn't know he was hurt. But if he is that banged up the coaches need to be trying another player. I tried to watch the o-line on several plays and he literally did not touch the other player. Brahms wasn't much better but he is a lot younger than Horton. Who is designing the blocking schemes we are using is it Gus, Chip or Grimes or a combo of all of them? I saw Brahms on one play try to pull and block the D end if I'm not mistaken, with the speed of the D- ends in the SEC that looks like to much to ask. Your thoughts please.

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

It's time to either be the head coach or an offensive coordinator

This especially. 

Archived