The ultimate defender

corchjay

5 hours ago, mom2kid said:

Who is going to come here and work under Gus?  The only good solution is firing Gus and bringing in a HC with strong reputation who may elect to keep the D staff and can save this recruiting class.

Any coordinator that wants to make $400,000 or more per year. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Didn't know he was hurt. But if he is that banged up the coaches need to be trying another player. I tried to watch the o-line on several plays and he literally did not touch the other player. Brahms wasn't much better but he is a lot younger than Horton. Who is designing the blocking schemes we are using is it Gus, Chip or Grimes or a combo of all of them? I saw Brahms on one play try to pull and block the D end if I'm not mistaken, with the speed of the D- ends in the SEC that looks like to much to ask. Your thoughts please.

I think it’s mainly Gus’ blocking scheme which was modified a little bit by Houston Nutt... both had good blocking schemes to begin with and then modified a little more by Hand when they were at Tulsa together.  

I didn’t see the specific play you’re talking about but if you have a general idea of what time in the game it was I’ll try to go back and see if I can find it

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think it’s mainly Gus’ blocking scheme which was modified a little bit by Houston Nutt... both had good blocking schemes to begin with and then modified a little more by Hand when they were at Tulsa together.  

I didn’t see the specific play you’re talking about but if you have a general idea of what time in the game it was I’ll try to go back and see if I can find it

I'm sorry but I don't remember. But just in general do you think we are asking to much from the o-line on some of these plays scheme wise?

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

32 million says we won't fire Gus.  Regardless of what everyone thinks.  That's not chump change for anyone.  

And 1 million to 1.2 million a year to be an OC will attract plenty of coaches to take a shot a turning around a team with talent.  

You are a voice of reason in a brewing storm of dissent. If the defense continues to get worse each game, do you think we change DC or stay with Steele? Our D is showing signs of collapse and fatigue of which some is attributable to offensive mistakes. Do you see any changes coming on the D coaching staff?  I would think a new OC, OL, and RB & maybe receivers coach be in the makings. Do you think Patrick Nix would be a good OC for us? I know we have had chances to win games that we have lost, but have seemed to lost our way since LSU.  

To finish 6-6 or better is going to take some serious work and dedication of which I hope this team us up to the challenge.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I'm sorry but I don't remember. But just in general do you think we are asking to much from the o-line on some of these plays scheme wise?

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

You are a voice of reason in a brewing storm of dissent. If the defense continues to get worse each game, do you think we change DC or stay with Steele? Our D is showing signs of collapse and fatigue of which some is attributable to offensive mistakes. Do you see any changes coming on the D coaching staff?  I would think a new OC, OL, and RB & maybe receivers coach be in the makings. Do you think Patrick Nix would be a good OC for us? I know we have had chances to win games that we have lost, but have seemed to lost our way since LSU.  

To finish 6-6 or better is going to take some serious work and dedication of which I hope this team us up to the challenge.

I’m sure Patrick Nix would be a fine OC however I don’t like players playing for their dads.  At about 13 years old they almost completely stop listening to them.  Plus it’s good to get different coaching to improve.  

We need someone proven from the college ranks or pros to come in with a business like approach.  We still want the family and blue collar type team but a more ridged personality is something I think the team needs.  

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

No I think it’s timing and experience plus a dose of execution.  Have to remember you’re facing NFL caliber players on every DL in the conference every week.   We are gonna give up a few TFL and sacks each week.   But we get some of those ourselves.  

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

To further that point UGA OL is young like ours.   LSU rushed 3 many times yesterday and still got pressure on Fromm.  They would mix in a blitz some on.  Their young 5 star guy Mays got whipped continually.    I’d say a good measuring stick is 10 games started.  After then you’ve seen most of it all and gotten plenty of snaps.  Then it’s ability and technique.  

QB1 has been playing with injuries since game 1, much like Horton.  Coaches choose to keep putting them out there and the doctors are clearing them, we see the results.

58 minutes ago, corchjay said:

To further that point UGA OL is young like ours.   LSU rushed 3 many times yesterday and still got pressure on Fromm.  They would mix in a blitz some on.  Their young 5 star guy Mays got whipped continually.    I’d say a good measuring stick is 10 games started.  After then you’ve seen most of it all and gotten plenty of snaps.  Then it’s ability and technique.  

I have a question for you coach. If you could, based on the available OL we have on our roster, could pick the best OL position by position on our roster to start against OM, who would you pick?  It sounds like we need to simplify things for each linemen so they can have the best success in a complete game. If you had to pick an OC, OL, RB, & Receiver coaches, who would you pick?

Not much as changed with CGM since he was hired.  Not sure why everyone is so maligned at the moment.  He was a 4-5 loss per season coach then and he still is...

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

They will make a lot more then that 750k min upwards of 1.2m

So true for a coordinator; I was thinking of Horton etc... Good points by you as always.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

The play that comes to mind happened with 10 seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter. Looks like the LT blocks the wrong defender and leaves the guard on an island and super confused...ends in the easiest sack that DE ever got.

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

Maybe you have info from higher ups but if you're getting info from the bunker... no thanks.  That place is a cesspool for AU football.  But if that is true what you say then the Auburn Football program is in serious trouble unless Meyer or Saban is coming to town because any coach would be an idiot to come here after a coach just won his division and getting a huge pay raise only to be fired the next year because of a poor season.  I'm not saying a firing wouldn't be justified based off this season but you can't pony up $49 million and say you are behind a coach just to lay waste to them at the first trouble.  The new contract was basically just kind of hitting the reset button... Saying here you go it's your program... 

I don’t receive any info from “the bunker.”   Never even been on that website.

I’m not debating — just giving a fact (in this situation.)

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

32 million says we won't fire Gus.  Regardless of what everyone thinks.  That's not chump change for anyone.  

And 1 million to 1.2 million a year to be an OC will attract plenty of coaches to take a shot a turning around a team with talent.  

Our talent is set to diminish with graduations, juniors fleeing early and the inevitable dropoff in recruiting. Not to mention Gus has never developed a QB at AU. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

2 hours ago, Shift said:

Not much as changed with CGM since he was hired.  Not sure why everyone is so maligned at the moment.  He was a 4-5 loss per season coach then and he still is...

Nope trending back to 6-6 this year at best.

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

I kind of agree with you.  Sure everyone wants a great passer but what makes our run game hum is a guy who can keep the ball 10-15 times a game.  Moving the chains is the name of the game in the SEC.  

and I think our team this year would benefit if Stidham kept it 10 times a game as well.  

Umm...this is Auburn. It's RBU for a reason. We've been running the ball at a high level(minus a season or two here and there) for a very long time. Without.....a DTQB might I add. Seems like the better answer to this would be to adapt the offense to what talent you have instead of forcibly trying to push a square peg into a round hole. It's not working now and it really didn't work last year or the year before that. We ran up and down the field with Ben Tate and had an efficient passer with Chris Todd without a DTQB threat then. What's different now? Nobody is buying the ZR BS because Stidham isn't even remotely a real threat. News Flash we don't have a Nick Marshall on the team, yet he's still stuck on that mindset of philosophy for the most part. Why? Really, how does that even remotely make sense? 

15 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Umm...this is Auburn. It's RBU for a reason. We've been running the ball at a high level(minus a season or two here and there) for a very long time. Without.....a DTQB might I add. Seems like the better answer to this would be to adapt the offense to what talent you have instead of forcibly trying to push a square peg into a round hole. It's not working now and it really didn't work last year or the year before that. We ran up and down the field with Ben Tate and had an efficient passer with Chris Todd without a DTQB threat then. What's different now? Nobody is buying the ZR BS because Stidham isn't even remotely a real threat. News Flash we don't have a Nick Marshall on the team, yet he's still stuck on that mindset of philosophy for the most part. Why? Really, how does that even remotely make sense? 

Makes sense because of blocking scheme.  

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I can’t think of a time this season, even when the game was in hand that the back up is getting meaningful snaps. It really puts them at a disadvantage. I also get sick of hearing, they just can’t be trusted or aren’t ready. Well, isn’t that another part of your OC job? Having a serviceable back up need be? 

There is always a part of me that cringes when I hear that phrase, cause I remember it being used about Kenny Irons. Lol wins/losses irritated me more back then also than today. I will always be for taking risks on kids with fire and desire though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 8:32 AM, corchjay said:

I'm probably the most widely known sunshine pumper and Gus defender on this board.  Maybe it's the coach in me and/or just my personality.  I always see the positives and try not to dwell on the negatives.  I do try to call them like I see them and definitely have an O & B bias.  However I will have to admit we aren't getting results out of our investment into this staff. 

Many have stated and it's probably a fact that regardless of what happens this year Gus won't be fired.  I know it's a way of venting but the reality of it is the AD will not eat 32 million.  15 million maybe so but not 32 million, not this year.  I do think there will probably be staff changes and if I had to guess it will be Horton, Grimes, and Chip.  Just a guess.  Someone will be the scape goat for the season.  It's just how it goes.  These hires will probably define how his coaching career goes and if he can run with the big dogs or not.  He probably will need to find an experienced OC with their own system that works with the players we have now.   A spread type offense with balance.  Let the OC have input on the other 2 coaches or if he wants his own guys all over you probably need to find a way to do it.  It's time to either be the head coach or an offensive coordinator.   Let the OC have his side and you provide oversight and direction.  Do the same on the D as well.  

Who is this magic OC I have no clue.  We could ramble off names for the next 6 months but we won't know until we know.  

I was proud to see the fans come out yesterday and support the team like they did.  Don't give up on these players or this football team.  We aren't those fans.  If we really are family we will continue to support our teams regardless of what we think of a President, AD, coach, or player.  Those or wins and loses don't define us as Auburn Fans, it never has and I hope it never does.  

Much calling for coaches heads during a season is not new to Auburn or any other school.   Hear all kinds of bleacher, tv watchers and fantasy pundits when seasons go awry.  Remember hearing Coach B. Bowden in Birmingham in the mid 90s after getting a raise to make him the highest paid coach.  He said many are making a big deal out of how much they are paying him but rest assured that the same lawyers that worked to draw up that contract would work just as hard to undo it if he didn't win.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1997/0414/041497.feat.feat.1.html

The above link is to a good article from 1997 where in Bowden candid fashion gives good insight.  You may not  be a Bobby  Bowden fan but it gives a coaches view.

@corchjay

Archived