Allen Greene comments

Auburn Kev

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And @chimes, I'll give you another example that I already provided of just how bad our coach's decision making is. Anders Carlson is 9 of 10 inside of 50 yards this season. That is effing amazing for any kicker, much less a freshman. However, he's 1 of 8 beyond 50. Eight 50+ yard attempts in 7 games! For a freshman! Despite us not having surrendered more than 23 points in any game until this past Saturday. 

Is that an Anders Carlson problem? No. Just one more player being set up to fail by Gus. 

Loof, you know I respect you more than probably any other poster here. You have to know that I’m not disagreeing about the fact that Gus is a subpar coach. I just think that some of our talent evaluations have also been lacking

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, chimes said:

Loof, you know I respect you more than probably any other poster here. You have to know that I’m not disagreeing about the fact that Gus is a subpar coach. I just think that some of our talent evaluations have also been lacking

More than A4E?

8 minutes ago, chimes said:

Our DL is not bad and I haven’t said they are. Others have also pointed out that we always seem to have more than our fair share of tweeners- especially on the end. 

Again, the “blocking “ by the OL has been abhorrent this year. I’d be crazy to argue otherwise. It’s also not fair to blame every single negative play on offense on them. Sometimes they do hold blocks and Stidham still can’t see or hit wide open receivers. Sometimes they do open lanes and our RBs either don’t see the hole or so often go down on first contact. I just don’t think it’s fair or accurate to blame every single offensive issue on the OL 100% of the time. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree on Stidham being a fit issue. Gus’ offenses at Auburn have been markedly more successful with mobile QBs running the read option. 

Shivers is a true freshman and could end up being better than all those guys. Problem I see right now is that he’s being asked to fill a traditional RB role and those other guys weren’t. 

Definitely mistakes all over the field. And definitely some missed talent evaluations. 

My only contention that I'm holding onto is that a prospective hire would see a very high floor and a much, much higher ceiling here, and that we're only in danger of falling off a cliff if we make the wrong hire. 

16 minutes ago, chimes said:

Did I mention it's good to have you back?

Now, is it your turn to punch me or vice versa? #gentlemen

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely mistakes all over the field. And definitely some missed talent evaluations. 

My only contention that I'm holding onto is that a prospective hire would see a very high floor and a much, much higher ceiling here, and that we're only in danger of falling off a cliff if we make the wrong hire. 

Don’t disagree with this at all. We absolutely have the pieces to look better than we do. Coaching has so much to do with maximizing strengths and hiding weaknesses... Gus has shown an incredible inability to consistently do either.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did I mention it's good to have you back?

Now, is it your turn to punch me or vice versa? #gentlemen

😂

☠️☠️☠️

On 10/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, DAG said:

We have a lot of young , but green talent. For example, why is Anthony just really getting started in this offense? He is the fastest guy on the field. I am not talking NFL fast. Like national ranked in the world fast. People are comparing him to Tyreek Hill. He should be getting the ball every game in multiple ways. There is no reason for him not to.

Dude, Schwartz challenged Tyreek to a race on Twitter. Hill responded.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:21 PM, DAG said:

Being numb to losing and outright saying you hope we lose are two different things. Honestly , if you are going out , hoping we lose , that is a flat out pathetic fan. 

Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:05 PM, aujeff11 said:

“And we’ll continue the grind.

”process”

Gus is obviously safe. 

At first I heard that as, we'll continue the 'crime'.  :rolleyes:

On 10/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, keesler said:

The guys that ponied up that money for the contract made an ill advised knee-jerk reaction to threats of bouncing for freaking Arkansas.  They're on the hook for this, why can't they be outed publicly?  

Uhh, because we ultimately depend on them to finance the buy-out and new coach?  :dunno:

On 10/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, keesler said:

How does it not?  The buyout is astronomical at this point, and to clear the slate (which many say needs to happen) they'd have to buy out the current staff + conduct an extensive search to find another HC, pay him + his new staff to come on board.  You're tipping the $40mm mark at that point.   When have the Auburn people behind the scenes ever chosen to lay their balls on the line to that extent?  Those cats would have a harder time swallowing their pride along with having to choke down that kind of cash than they ever would've been because some mediocre AU HC left Auburn for an Arkansas job.  

For that buyout amount, Auburn's ass is in a sling as much as they are stuck with a HC that appears to be in over his head for this level of coaching.

Not to mention the PR nightmare for Auburn. 

We would be seen as complete idiots by anyone who follows college football.

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not to mention the PR nightmare for Auburn. 

We would be seen as complete idiots by anyone who follows college football.

We are already seen like complete idiots which is why I am not surprised of this talk of firing. When people’s money, reputation is on the line, they would do anything to rid themselves of the problem. But winning cures all. People that we were crazy for ridding Chizik a couple years after his NC victory. All forgotten after 2013 season.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

We are already seen like complete idiots which is why I am not surprised of this talk of firing. When people’s money, reputation is on the line, they would do anything to rid themselves of the problem. But winning cures all. People that we were crazy for ridding Chizik a couple years after his NC victory. All forgotten after 2013 season.

Probably so, at least in the SEC football world.

But this sort of buy-out would make the papers - perhaps outside of the sports page - all over the country.  Very embarrassing.

Just now, homersapien said:

But this sort of buy-out would make the papers - perhaps outside of the sports page - all over the country.  Very embarrassing.

I get this concern, but honestly - what is worse looking foolish for getting rid of him after the contract (we all agree that contract is stupid) or burying our head in the sand and not correcting the mistake?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

True which is why it was foolish to sign off to a contract of this nature like this in the first place. This happen prior to the season ending , the whole contract benefits Gus and I also believe he utilized the rumored timeline of Arkansas needing an answer sooner rather than later to his benefit. Clearly this Leath had no guidance with how to negotiate anything. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree with all of this.

Just now, DAG said:

True which is why it was foolish to sign off to a contract of this nature like this in the first place. This happen prior to the season ending , the whole contract benefits Gus and I also believe he utilized the rumored timeline of Arkansas needing an answer sooner rather than later to his benefit. Clearly this Leath had no guidance with how to negotiate anything. 

Or common sense!

Just now, Grimnir said:

Agree with all of this.

Unfortunately we need to learn to get out of our own way. We always do things in haste..hopefully this changes now that we have a new AD.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Imagine how Penn state fans felt. They had to fire their "Legend". In turn, they hired a coach with balls enough to take that negativity on and change the culture. I wouldn't worry so much about PR. People tend to have short memories unless you continually make the same mistakes,  that change needs to happen. Unfortunately the lesson hasn't been learned up until this point. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Unfortunately we need to learn to get out of our own way. We always do things in haste..hopefully this changes now that we have a new AD.

I definitely think having an new AD will help.  The fact that he is not part of the old guard is a good thing too IMO.  We need to start running the program more like a business (b/c it is) - not making hasty reactive decisions, but weighing the pros and cons.

Unless Auburn swings for the fences in their coaching hires, they will continue on the merry go round of mediocrity. 

Making a mistake and not correcting that mistake is two mistakes. How many years does it take to completely rebuild a winning SEC football team from scratch?  We keep Gomer as HC, that's what we're looking at.  Adults don't refrain from doing what's required due to a risk of embarrassment.  It's not even a consideration. 

Let's right the ship and force our detractors to argue against our success.  

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

Unless Auburn swings for the fences in their coaching hires, they will continue on the merry go round of mediocrity. 

IDK if swinging for the fences is mandatory. I don't have a problem going after a big name, but we need to get the RIGHT coach.

Archived