Allen Greene comments

Auburn Kev

13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

When you consider a 32 million dollar buyout, PLUS buying out the assistants, PLUS buying out the new coach from his current school, PLUS buying out the would be new assistants, that is a LOT and I mean a LOT of money that would be better spent elsewhere. That is a lot of stadium improvement that could happen along with a football only facility, as well as preventing a rise in tuition and the face value of tickets. I tend to look at the big picture vs the short term instant gratification that most on here are looking for.

I agree with this.

Be careful tho, you will get blasted if you insinuate we are stuck in this contract.

...but I'm not a money man, so I don't care what they do. Just win.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big picture is that this team is loaded with talent *right now*. We have a freshman class that is one of the better groups in program history and they will be winning a LOT of games 2 years from now. Our current recruiting class is humming at every position except OL, to include a franchise QB. That's a glaring exception, but most coaches would still kill to be in Gus's situation.

So yeah, it's a gamble to spend X million dollars to change coaches right now. But is it a bigger gamble than to keep spending $7 million a year just to watch the program keep nosediving, not be able to put these recruiting classes together anymore with (well deserved) hot seat talk every season, not get any bowl payouts, alienate boosters, and then be scraping to find a coach who wants to come here and do a complete rebuild while facing bama and uga (and lsu?) every season, making it at least another couple years before we get back to relevance? 

Gus still deserves a ton of credit for building a hell of a strong program. Talent all over the roster and staff and no major off-field issues. We could be an elite, top-5 program with what we have on hand right now. This should be the 2nd consecutive 10-win season for the 1st time in school history. Which is exactly why we need a winning coach right now. The window's open and we need to take our shot. And use fewer mixed metaphors. Sorry about that. 

PS- Tennessee probably would have taken that next step if they'd just hired Cutcliffe. Firing Fulmer was the right move. Their mistake was making multiple bad hires while their 3 main rivals were taking turns going to Atlanta every year. 

Strong program?  Hardly.  And there are glaring weaknesses of talent all over the field. AU needs to move on from this guy before he digs the hole even deeper. 

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

So, how we avoid all of that is either Gus and Chip rebounds next year with a bang (with a new QB and all,) or new hope is brought in: either by a splash OC hire or new HC. I prefer the splash OC hire. It is safer, will stir up preseason excitement, and we will avoid paying a chunk of buyout money. 

Do you really think Gussypants is going to be able to get a "splash OC hire' or that a new OC will actually stir up excitement? We've been down this road when Lashlee was cut loose. A new OC will be forced to run Double Bubble's high school playbook and maybe add a few things like a once a season slant route.

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Strong program?  Hardly.  And there are glaring weaknesses of talent all over the field. AU needs to move on from this guy before he digs the hole even deeper. 

Where are there glaring weaknesses except OL? 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So yeah, it's a gamble to spend X million dollars to change coaches right now.

And an even bigger gamble if we don’t exhaust the alternatives to firing Gus. 

Just now, selias said:

Do you really think Gussypants is going to be able to get a "splash OC hire' or that a new OC will actually stir up excitement? We've been down this road when Lashlee was cut loose. A new OC will be forced to run Double Bubble's high school playbook and maybe add a few things like a once a season slant route.

Chip wasn’t a splash hire. He was a yes man. I tried to tell y’all this when we hired him. If we hired someone with credibility and a name for himself, and if the AD influences Gus to give up the playbook, we can actually do things. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

RB. That position is the weakest that I’ve seen since I became a fan in 2000.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Chip wasn’t a splash hire. He was a yes man. I tried to tell y’all this when we hired him. If we hired someone with credibility and a name for himself, and if the AD influences Gus to give up the playbook, we can actually do things. 

Goes back to my first point. What competent OC will come to work for our visored idiot? Gus has been "influenced by the AD" multiple times to hand over the offense and yet, here we are again.

Running backs, backup QB’s, DB’s, slow LB’s, pass rushers.  It is just not realistic to not see the decline in talent.  

Here is an example.  How many scholarship offers from Power Five schools did Willis have?  I will save you the trouble of looking that up.  Two offers.  How many to play QB!  One.  

6 minutes ago, selias said:

Goes back to my first point. What competent OC will come to work for our visored idiot? Gus has been "influenced by the AD" multiple times to hand over the offense and yet, here we are again.

Freeze for one. Conveniently, they are also good friends. Maybe KB. For the sake of you not wasting your time, spare me the “ Freeze already has got a good job” nonsense. I won’t buy it. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Freeze for one. Conveniently, they are also good friends. Maybe KB. For the sake of you not wasting tour time, spare me the “ Freeze already has got a good job” nonsense. I won’t buy it. 

Ok, I won't go that route. While I wouldn't mind seeing Freeze as OC, will the conference and PTB be willing to take him on? Didn't Bama try to get him as an analyst and the SEC office shut them down?

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I’m stuck in this weird position between being convinced that Gus has all the talent in the world to put a top 5 product on the field and being convinced that they’ve built a strange mishmash of “star ratings” that aren’t conducive to fielding a winning team or successful/sustainable program. 

We all agree oline recruiting has been garbage. I honestly think our stable of RBs is bottom 1/4 in the SEC right now. Stidham doesn’t fit Gus’ system and all the guys behind him could be summed up with one word- “raw”. Dline recruiting has probably been the team strength for years now but how many effective fast- twitch pass rushers have we really trotted out? 

We have enough talent to be a lot better than we are but I still don’t think our program is build soundly. Too many holes in depth and misevaluations of talent.

6 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Running backs, backup QB’s, DB’s, slow LB’s, pass rushers.  It is just not realistic to not see the decline in talent.  

Here is an example.  How many scholarship offers from Power Five schools did Willis have?  I will save you the trouble of looking that up.  Two offers.  How many to play QB!  One.  

DBs? LBs? Pass rushers? Huh? 

Cherry picking Willis off the trash heap to make your point when we have Bo Nix committed?

Yeah, we're not going to see eye to eye on much here. 

3 minutes ago, selias said:

Ok, I won't go that route. While I wouldn't mind seeing Freeze as OC, will the conference and PTB be willing to take him on? Didn't Bama try to get him as an analyst and the SEC office shut them down?

The PTB could say let’s give Freeze a shot as OC. If he fails, the other alternative would’ve been to fire Gus and pay the whole buyout anyway. Nobody knows if Sankey would approve tbe hire or not. He said this spring that he preferred that Freeze wait “a year or two” before coming back to the SEC. It’s worth asking though. Gus runs a clean program and that may put the odds of approval in our favor. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

DBs? LBs? Pass rushers? Huh? 

Cherry picking Willis off the trash heap to make your point when we have Bo Nix committed?

Yeah, we're not going to see eye to eye on much here. 

We don’t have any effective pass rushers. We have DT/DE tweeners at tbe end position. Hence why we can’t get much pressure this year without generating it by blitzes.

And Nix isn’t even on the team yet. Not sure how he’s making the current backup QBs any less of a weakness while playing on Friday nights. Bueller?

1 minute ago, chimes said:

I honestly think our stable of RBs is bottom 1/4 in the SEC right now.

Right now? Maybe. We're talking about what the next guy is inheriting. And that's the thing about Gus. We can in no way trust that he's maximizing his talent. Asa Martin, Shaun Shivers, Harold Joiner- all 4* guys and all freshmen. Whitlow, no matter his recruiting profile, looks and plays like a prototype SEC RB. And he's just a RS FR. Just needs more reps and experience. Ex: that long non-TD against MSU. Is that on par with bama and uga? No. Is that worse than the underclassman group that 3/4 of the SEC has on deck? I refuse to believe so. 

7 minutes ago, chimes said:

Stidham doesn’t fit Gus’ system and all the guys behind him could be summed up with one word- “raw”.

Sandberg will be as capable as most SEC backup QBs by next fall, we have Nix coming in, Gatewood is a freak athlete who would probably have a damned good chance of making some noise under some coaches like Dan Mullen (who also offered Sandberg...). As for Gus's system, again, I'm talking about the next coach.

9 minutes ago, chimes said:

Dline recruiting has probably been the team strength for years now but how many effective fast- twitch pass rushers have we really trotted out? 

I think Big Kat is pretty productive for a sophomore and Moultry was a massive prospect who seems to be lacking upstairs. Not sure what's going on there, especially with the hype out of spring. Nick Coe is a monster. Marlon Davidson has mostly been playing inside, I think. Jibunor has all the tools but is another true freshman. And who knows what these guys would be doing if the offense had been able to sustain drives with any regularity this season. 

I think maybe a ripple effect from the massively underperforming offense is coloring some perceptions of the team overall. I've seen other examples this week. 

17 minutes ago, chimes said:

I’m stuck in this weird position between being convinced that Gus has all the talent in the world to put a top 5 product on the field and being convinced that they’ve built a strange mishmash of “star ratings” that aren’t conducive to fielding a winning team or successful/sustainable program. 

We all agree oline recruiting has been garbage. I honestly think our stable of RBs is bottom 1/4 in the SEC right now. Stidham doesn’t fit Gus’ system and all the guys behind him could be summed up with one word- “raw”. Dline recruiting has probably been the team strength for years now but how many effective fast- twitch pass rushers have we really trotted out? 

We have enough talent to be a lot better than we are but I still don’t think our program is build soundly. Too many holes in depth and misevaluations of talent.

You aren't alone Chimes - I'm stuck right there with you.  

Auburn/CGM & Co haven't built a solid foundation and things are crumbling right before our eyes.

Bottom line, if you can't recruit high level talent for the trenches, develop and coach them to dominate the trenches then all then everything else will suffer.  QB/RB/WR/LB/CB's need power at the core to do their best work.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Right now? Maybe. We're talking about what the next guy is inheriting. And that's the thing about Gus. We can in no way trust that he's maximizing his talent. Asa Martin, Shaun Shivers, Harold Joiner- all 4* guys and all freshmen. Whitlow, no matter his recruiting profile, looks and plays like a prototype SEC RB. And he's just a RS FR. Just needs more reps and experience. Ex: that long non-TD against MSU. Is that on par with bama and uga? No. Is that worse than the underclassman group that 3/4 of the SEC has on deck? I refuse to believe so. 

Sandberg will be as capable as most SEC backup QBs by next fall, we have Nix coming in, Gatewood is a freak athlete who would probably have a damned good chance of making some noise under some coaches like Dan Mullen (who also offered Sandberg...). As for Gus's system, again, I'm talking about the next coach.

I think Big Kat is pretty productive for a sophomore and Moultry was a massive prospect who seems to be lacking upstairs. Not sure what's going on there, especially with the hype out of spring. Nick Coe is a monster. Marlon Davidson has mostly been playing inside, I think. Jibunor has all the tools but is another true freshman. And who knows what these guys would be doing if the offense had been able to sustain drives with any regularity this season. 

I think maybe a ripple effect from the massively underperforming offense is coloring some perceptions of the team overall. I've seen other examples this week. 

I 1000% agree with you that talent isn’t being maximized but there’s this lingering voice that says that we’re just not as talented as we look on paper 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah I have to see what other coaches can do with our talent. Remember Roc Thomas did nothing here and out of nowhere he was starting with the Vikings. I highly doubt our talent is less than Miss state and Tennessee. LSU just rocked UGA and we had them all till the last seconds of the game. How is that possible? We beat UW,who in my opinion was overrated, but still one of the premier teams in the pac 12. How was that possible without talent? We have the talent so to speak, but we need someone who knows how to utilize them. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I have to see what other coaches can do with our talent. Remember Roc Thomas did nothing here and out of nowhere he was starting with the Vikings. I highly doubt our talent is less than Miss state and Tennessee. LSU just rocked UGA and we had them all till the last seconds of the game. How is that possible? We beat UW,who in my opinion was overrated, but still one of the premier teams in the pac 12. How was that possible without talent? We have the talent so to speak, but we need someone who knows how to utilize them. 

You sure he starts? Thomas has touched the ball 7 times (6 carries & 1 reception) in 3 games played, for a total of 14 yards. 

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

You sure he starts? Thomas has touched the ball 7 times (6 carries & 1 reception) in 3 games played, for a total of 14 yards. 

He’s never started. Latravius Murray is tbe backup when Cook is hurt. 

5 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Good catch kev. I thought he was starting against the eagles. Nevertheless., umm he is playing for the Vikings active 53 man roster. How the hell does that happen? Lol. 

That is why I don’t believe this BS that we don’t have talent. And don’t be surprise if NCM finds a way into the NFL.

24 minutes ago, chimes said:

I 1000% agree with you that talent isn’t being maximized but there’s this lingering voice that says that we’re just not as talented as we look on paper 

Going strictly by recruiting rankings, we're #7 in the nation over the last 5 years and #11 over the last 2 years. We probably aren't that talented, but even a significant disparity between recruiting service evaluations and reality wouldn't put us lower than a top-25 team in terms of talent.

To your point, our most recent class was our lowest ranked of the 5 but has been more productive than the others. (Although this could as easily speak to a lack of development as superior talent.) To my point, it's the young guys with whom the next coach is preoccupied, and he's going to like what he sees. The only thing preventing me from salivating over our future is our head coach and his hand-picked offensive staff. 

A prospective HC candidate will see as stocked a cupboard as you can get when the previous guy got fired, and that Auburn is a school to which you can consistently reel in top-10 classes. We would be an attractive job and we should be able to get a name. 

If there’s any pretense of keeping Gus than a new OC should have been brought in after week 4 when the season was salvageable. Now it’s virtually pointless. This whole season is pointless and wanting to keep Gus for any reason is foolish.

We’ve gone from nationally relevant to national laughing stock ever since a lazy loss to UCF. His bowl record sucks, his away game record sucks, he absolutely completely sucks.

He’s allowed this s*** show of an OL problem to form and he’s been complacent with running back recruiting and development. Roc Thomas’ career at Auburn completely crashed and burned because he fumbled once or twice. But Stidham will never see the bench.

Our strength and conditioning are trash. The OL has never looked physically dominant even against Southern Miss. We never bulk our running backs up the way that LSU/Alabama/Georgia and hell even Tennessee have.

We have no identity on offense and the defense has essentially said **** it due to the lack of success in the other side of the ball.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Going strictly by recruiting rankings, we're #7 in the nation over the last 5 years and #11 over the last 2 years. We probably aren't that talented, but even a significant disparity between recruiting service evaluations and reality wouldn't put us lower than a top-25 team in terms of talent.

To your point, our most recent class was our lowest ranked of the 5 but has been more productive than the others. (Although this could as easily speak to a lack of development as superior talent.) To my point, it's the young guys with whom the next coach is preoccupied, and he's going to like what he sees. The only thing preventing me from salivating over our future is our head coach and his hand-picked offensive staff. 

A prospective HC candidate will see as stocked a cupboard as you can get when the previous guy got fired, and that Auburn is a school to which you can consistently reel in top-10 classes. We would be an attractive job and we should be able to get a name. 

We have a lot of young , but green talent. For example, why is Anthony just really getting started in this offense? He is the fastest guy on the field. I am not talking NFL fast. Like national ranked in the world fast. People are comparing him to Tyreek Hill. He should be getting the ball every game in multiple ways. There is no reason for him not to.

Archived