• 1st loss to a non-Power 5 team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have a lot of young , but green talent. For example, why is Anthony just really getting started in this offense? He is the fastest guy on the field. I am not talking NFL fast. Like national ranked in the world fast. People are comparing him to Tyreek Hill. He should be getting the ball every game in multiple ways. There is no reason for him not to.

And the thing is, he's a damned football player. He's not Harry Adams or the other kid with the French name- Phillip Pierre-Louis or something like that? I mean, no knock on those guys, but they were 90% track guys and 10% football guys. I figured he'd be good for jet sweeps and just taking the lid off the defense, but he can fight for the ball and get the dirty yards, too. 

If we can get a fully functioning offense with a complete playbook, I agree, he could be that kind of guy. Maybe even a Percy Harvin type. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Going strictly by recruiting rankings, we're #7 in the nation over the last 5 years and #11 over the last 2 years. We probably aren't that talented, but even a significant disparity between recruiting service evaluations and reality wouldn't put us lower than a top-25 team in terms of talent.

To your point, our most recent class was our lowest ranked of the 5 but has been more productive than the others. (Although this could as easily speak to a lack of development as superior talent.) To my point, it's the young guys with whom the next coach is preoccupied, and he's going to like what he sees. The only thing preventing me from salivating over our future is our head coach and his hand-picked offensive staff. 

A prospective HC candidate will see as stocked a cupboard as you can get when the previous guy got fired, and that Auburn is a school to which you can consistently reel in top-10 classes. We would be an attractive job and we should be able to get a name. 

Sorry, at work and have to keep it short and sweet. Our starting RB was listed as a 24/7 4* (illusion of talent) with offers from Auburn, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, Troy , and UAB. Guys like that will keep our star ratings high but, when push comes to shove, won’t be able to outperform the guys lining up for the other SEC powers. I honestly think our roster is an illusion and that ultimately falls on Gus.

6 minutes ago, selias said:

Just a reminder:

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. Power-5 teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power-5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

Let's be fair and add the positives.

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 2 SEC West Titles
  • 1 SEC Championship
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

Yeah . . . . . doesn't help all that much. I look at those stats and I'm not upset about 2-3 vs. Alabama, but knowing that at least 2 of those losses to UGA were to below average teams really steams my clams. Same thing with the loss to LSU in 2017 - that should be 3-3 at worst.

The big thing for me is the 1-4 in bowl games and 0-7 in BR, Athens, and T-Town. I mean, that's piss poor.

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

Sorry, at work and have to keep it short and sweet. Our starting RB was listed as a 24/7 4* (illusion of talent) with offers from Auburn, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, Troy , and UAB. Guys like that will keep our star ratings high but, when push comes to shove, won’t be able to outperform the guys lining up for the other SEC powers. I honestly think our roster is an illusion and that ultimately falls on Gus.

That’s one guy

look at Kam’s list

Look at Asa’s list

Look at Shaun’s list

I am basing this off of 247 offer list btw.

2 minutes ago, chimes said:

...and Deshaun Davis was a 3*. Sammie Coates was a 2*.

People said all the same things about Tre Mason and Kerryon Johnson that they're saying about our current RBs, at least a couple of whom would be *going off* from behind even a mediocre OL such as what we had the last couple years and with any threat of a passing game. 

We're a field goal away from having two wins over top-10 teams this season. And we damned sure didn't do that with coaching.

If you honestly think that our roster isn't one of the 25 most talented in the country, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...and Deshaun Davis was a 3*. Sammie Coates was a 2*.

People said all the same things about Tre Mason and Kerryon Johnson that they're saying about our current RBs, at least a couple of whom would be *going off* from behind even a mediocre OL such as what we had the last couple years and with any threat of a passing game. 

We're a field goal away from having two wins over top-10 teams this season. And we damned sure didn't do that with coaching.

If you honestly think that our roster isn't one of the 25 most talented in the country, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

It is. We lost to two teams , top to bottom, not nearly as talented as us. Eventually you got to point to coaching.  There is honestly no reason to not be 6-1 at this point. 

1 hour ago, chimes said:

I’m stuck in this weird position between being convinced that Gus has all the talent in the world to put a top 5 product on the field and being convinced that they’ve built a strange mishmash of “star ratings” that aren’t conducive to fielding a winning team or successful/sustainable program. 

We all agree oline recruiting has been garbage. I honestly think our stable of RBs is bottom 1/4 in the SEC right now. Stidham doesn’t fit Gus’ system and all the guys behind him could be summed up with one word- “raw”. Dline recruiting has probably been the team strength for years now but how many effective fast- twitch pass rushers have we really trotted out? 

We have enough talent to be a lot better than we are but I still don’t think our program is build soundly. Too many holes in depth and misevaluations of talent.

It appears to be 'b'.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Schwartz would win the Heisman playing for Urban Meyer

I pretty sure Alabama offered him. Imagine what he would be doing with them.

To those saying we aren't talented

2012 looked so much worse from a talent standpoint but Gus turned it around. Don't underestimate what poor coaching's influence on how good players look can be. Chizik was terrible and it made the players look bad. Gus proved that the talent on that team (sure with a key addition at QB, but QB wasn't the only problem on the field that year at all) was significantly better than 3-9. 

Right now Gus is making our talent look terrible. Part of it is recruiting on the OL, part of it is just the way our offense is being run. Either way, it's on him.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I pretty sure Alabama offered him. Imagine what he would be doing with them.

I don't want to even think about that!!

12 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Let's be fair and add the positives.

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 2 SEC West Titles
  • 1 SEC Championship
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

Yeah . . . . . doesn't help all that much. I look at those stats and I'm not upset about 2-3 vs. Alabama, but knowing that at least 2 of those losses to UGA were to below average teams really steams my clams. Same thing with the loss to LSU in 2017 - that should be 3-3 at worst.

The big thing for me is the 1-4 in bowl games and 0-7 in BR, Athens, and T-Town. I mean, that's piss poor.

Tater tot won twice in Baton Rouge!! 3 times in Athens!!!

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Tater tot won twice in Baton Rouge!! 3 times in Athens!!!

Not defending Gus here at all, but those are two very different times.  LSU and UGA were nothing like they are now back in those days.  LSU in particular has gotten significantly stronger since 2000, long after Bowden was gone from AU.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is. We lost to two teams , top to bottom, not nearly as talented as us. Eventually you got to point to coaching.  There is honestly no reason to not be 6-1 at this point. 

Well, if there's any positive to take from this situation it's that the "EXCUSE" bag has finally been emptied and all signs point straight to the core of the problem >>>>>> coaching. 

Lord, I never thought the day would come after all these years of making excuses year after year after year.  I find it odd that there are a select few posters who for ages have felt compelled to rattle off the myriad of excuses year after year and now they're suspiciously MIA from this board?

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s one guy

look at Kam’s list

Look at Asa’s list

Look at Shaun’s list

I am basing this off of 247 offer list btw.

To be fair, he was literally the only guy that I looked up and only bc Loof referenced him. I had zero clue what his list looked like before I looked it up 15 minutes ago. I wasn’t attempting to cherry pick but honestly wasn’t shocked to see the lack of interest from other SEC schools. I’ll gladly look up the others when I have a little more time and respond accordingly 

Just now, keesler said:

Well, if there's any positive to take from this situation it's that the "EXCUSE" bag has finally been emptied and all signs point straight to the core of the problem >>>>>> coaching. 

Lord, I never thought the day would come after all these years of making excuses year after year after year.  I find it odd that there are a select few posters who for ages have felt compelled to rattle off the myriad of excuses year after year and now they're suspiciously MIA from this board?

It’s too negative around here supposedly. I am intrigued about this weekend. If we can’t find a way to win this week then that’s all she wrote.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I gave all the excuses after 2015. Then some changes were made after 2016. Then we ended up winning a couple games in 2017 and I had optimism for 2018 because Gus has everything he needs to win football games this year. Absolutely, 100% no excuses for what is happening. Although I would love for AU64 and Mikey Mouse to offer some. Yeah, where are those guys? I bet 64 is in the basketball forum now where nobody says anything bad about the coach because he's actually earning his paycheck. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s too negative around here supposedly. I am intrigued about this weekend. If we can’t find a way to win this week then that’s all she wrote.

If we don’t make proper adjustments we’ll lose. If we do we’ll probably win.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Their backs are against the wall now. You're right....this weekend will tell the tale. If he can't pull this one out, there's absolutely zero chance anyone can defend him. I think we've already crossed that line personally,  but there are still a few clinging.

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If we don’t make proper adjustments we’ll lose. If we do we’ll probably win.

I think we will win handily tbh just for the fact Gus seems to pull a 180 when he feels like he is coaching for his job. It’s truly baffling.

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

Their backs are against the wall now. You're right....this weekend will tell the tale. If he can't pull this one out, there's absolutely zero chance anyone can defend him. I think we've already crossed that line personally,  but there are still a few clinging.

See my response above. I have to believe we will handle business this week due to the leak about money not being an issue. Gus will respond to that.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think we will win handily tbh just for the fact Gus seems to pull a 180 when he feels like he is coaching for his job. It’s truly baffling.

I'd say that all he has to do is let Chip run the offense, but I'm not so sure this time with how bad the OL situation has gotten and how shook Stid is. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'd say that all he has to do is let Chip run the offense, but I'm not so sure this time with how bad the OL situation has gotten and how shook Stid is. 

It’s just almost hard for me to believe the rumors of Chip having to go through Gus like that to get a play call out , but then I see the results and the tendencies from past playcalling of chip. What gets me is how these guys allow this stuff to happen. I mean I guess you are willing to go down with the sinking ship. You know that’s one thing about Gus lol. If he feels like he is cornered, he will bounce. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly.

In the score prediction thread I've already stated AU will dominate. 

That's why I'm so sick of Gus.  He's like Michael Vick in his time with the Falcons...  He was VERY pedestrian, at best, most of the time.  The media would get onto him, the fans would grumble, then he'd have that one Lights Out game where he looked like VA Tech MV.  He'd then hold court telling the media and fans "see how awesome I am?".

Then the next week....very pedestrian again.

That's how Gus coaches.  We all know (AND WANT) he can be a beast at coaching.  He's proved it whenever his back's against the wall.  Then he's comfortable and decides to roll back out the standard game plan and playbook that is his comfy blanket.

Archived