2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Shivers had the huge run against bama. How many other times did he carry the ball that game?

Ten more times. Statistics show he totaled ten carries in the game. Assuming the one that was called back doesn't count in the stats, Shivers actually had 11 carries in the Iron Bowl. How many more carries should he have had to be "properly used"? He was also one of the two deep kickoff returners on every one of UAT's kickoffs. Why does anyone want to say he won't be used next year when he saw lots of action as a true freshman in the biggest game of the year?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If we could get RB1 to 15-20 carries a game and RB2 to 10-15 carries a game

That's exactly what we had in the Iron Bowl. Whitlow 19 carries, Shivers 10 with another one called back. If that's what everybody wants, be happy.

That was one game. It hasn’t been the norm the last few years. But, those years had Gus sharing control. Maybe he’ll revert back to his normal splits with everyone else out of the way. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, Mikey said:

Ten more times. Statistics show he totaled ten carries in the game. Assuming the one that was called back doesn't count in the stats, Shivers actually had 11 carries in the Iron Bowl. How many more carries should he have had to be "properly used"? He was also one of the two deep kickoff returners on every one of UAT's kickoffs. Why does anyone want to say he won't be used next year when he saw lots of action as a true freshman in the biggest game of the year?

Not happy when carries are spread around, but constantly complain when rbs get overused. I give up. 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, ClaytonAU said:

Maybe not on the bench, but when Jarrett Stidham blows it up in the NFL and you see how good he could’ve been at AU, you might rethink your statement.

Yes, we’ll see how he does...maybe, kind of like the Purdue game?

On 1/25/2019 at 11:28 PM, Mikey said:

You really need to stop using so many facts. Your common sense points, with facts to back them up, will really piss a bunch of people off around here!

On 1/25/2019 at 10:50 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Shivers had the huge run against bama. How many other times did he carry the ball that game? Pretty sure that was E's thinking on this. Shivers had some great runs throughout the year, then never got anymore carries after those runs. This is why some of us think this way. Will this change? don't know. 

I’m sure Chip Lindsay wanted to use him more; then Gus stepped in and said NO!

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You really need to stop using so many facts. Your common sense points, with facts to back them up, will really piss a bunch of people off around here!

The problem is, in the regular season, 6 of 12 games he had 2 carries or less.

During the regular season, in 9 games against power 5 opponents, he totaled 40 carries. That’s an average of 4.4 carries a game. 27 of those 40 carries came in 3 games. He finished the regular season with 2 total receptions. He would get a 5+ carry game, then he would go multiple weeks before he got another 5+ carry game.

One of the biggest gripes, however,  is that after he gets a big play or two, we shut him down, the UGA game for one example.

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

During the regular season, in 9 games against power 5 opponents, he totaled 40 carries. That’s an average of 4.4 carries a game. 27 of those 40 carries came in 3 games. He finished the regular season with 2 total receptions. He would get a 5+ carry game, then he would go multiple weeks before he got another 5+ carry game.

One of the biggest gripes, however,  is that after he gets a big play or two, we shut him down, the UGA game for one example.

That's very much normal for a true freshman. They get more work as they learn the ropes. He had a big play against UAT, then got ten more carries.  Game situations and opponent strengths dictate what plays are called. If one guy gets more carries in game A and fewer in game B, it's probably because the coaches had a different plan of attack. Would you have an iron clad rule that player A gets 18 carries and player B 15 regardless of opponent, how the game goes or score? I think that might only work in one of the computer games.

Lets use the game where Gus quit on his team and only ran the ball to run out the clock and save on his embarrassing loss as a statistical comparison.   LOL, so stupid.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Lets use the game where Gus quit on his team and only ran the ball to run out the clock and save on his embarrassing loss as a statistical comparison.   LOL, so stupid.

That's nonsense. Let's use the game where Gus beat Notre Dame 87-0 for the national championship. Since both of these games don't exist your LOL, so stupid comment is correct.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

That's very much normal for a true freshman. They get more work as they learn the ropes. He had a big play against UAT, then got ten more carries.  Game situations and opponent strengths dictate what plays are called. If one guy gets more carries in game A and fewer in game B, it's probably because the coaches had a different plan of attack. Would you have an iron clad rule that player A gets 18 carries and player B 15 regardless of opponent, how the game goes or score? I think that might only work in one of the computer games.

You get 7, then get 4 straight games of 2 or less. You finally get a solid game again against OM, follow that up with A&M where no one else can get the running game going, he had two runs in close succession I believe giving him a 5.5 avg, everyone else was 2 or less. You then provide a spark against UGA averaging almost 11 yds a carry on 4 touches and then you get pulled. He was literally pulled and shelved almost every time he was getting in a rhythm.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

You get 7, then get 4 straight games of 2 or less. You finally get a solid game again against OM, follow that up with A&M where no one else can get the running game going, he had two runs in close succession I believe giving him a 5.5 avg, everyone else was 2 or less. You then provide a spark against UGA averaging almost 11 yds a carry on 4 touches and then you get pulled. He was literally pulled and shelved almost every time he was getting in a rhythm.

The first thing that should be considered is who doesn't get carries if Worm gets more? It's not as simple as deciding how many plays, or when, any player should get. Other factors figure in big-time.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The first thing that should be considered is who doesn't get carries if Worm gets more? It's not as simple as deciding how many plays, or when, any player should get. Other factors figure in big-time.

Use the back that’s being more effective during the actual game instead of being stubborn about the “gameplan” and use your backs to compliment each other. Pulling the back that has provided your offense a spark and then never giving him another carry doesn’t do you any good.

Against LSU, 22 and 7, the usage we had in that game looked great. 19 and 10 against OM. I’m not saying give him 10 carries at least every single game, I’m saying he provides a skill to this offense that should be used more than once or twice a game.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, Maverick.AU said:

You do understand... dude is a true freshmen? A teenager that was in High School one year ago. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:23 PM, Mikey said:

That's nonsense. Let's use the game where Gus beat Notre Dame 87-0 for the national championship. Since both of these games don't exist your LOL, so stupid comment is correct.

Shivers first run was in the first quarter.  His second run was in the fourth.  Yes, Gus gave up claiming he was not raising the white flag, just "trying to finish the game" - i.e. he gave up.

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You do understand... dude is a true freshmen? A teenager that was in High School one year ago. 

What I understand is we finished 78th in total offense. Who cares if the guy is a true freshman? 

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I know, how did Jonathon Taylor handle 307 touches for over 2000 yards as a freshman 2 years ago.

33 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I know, how did Jonathon Taylor handle 307 touches for over 2000 yards as a freshman 2 years ago.

:dunno:obviously being abused by his coaches.  

I see complaints about too many carries and also about too few.  So what is the correct number ?

36 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Some pick up the schemes, the blitzes, the pass blocking earlier than others. It’s rare that a true freshman can pick this up early in his freshman season.

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

What I understand is we finished 78th in total offense. Who cares if the guy is a true freshman? 

And if you have a teenager back there that doesn’t understand the schemes, the pass blocking, how to pick up a blitz etc..., we would’ve finished even lower than 78.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:dunno:obviously being abused by his coaches.  

I see complaints about too many carries and also about too few.  So what is the correct number ?

I believe that impact hits per carry decides total carries for most teams.

14 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

interesting....sounds good though... and I grant you that for the most part 20 carries against bama or LSU is not that same as against many teams on our schedule.

28 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Some pick up the schemes, the blitzes, the pass blocking earlier than others. It’s rare that a true freshman can pick this up early in his freshman season.

In this case he was playing for a team the did not have much of a passing offense ran almost two plays for every pass.....and coaches might not have stressed those blocking issues....but he was well used... 

19 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

interesting....sounds good though... and I grant you that for the most part 20 carries against bama or LSU is not that same as against many teams on our schedule.

People love to point to Tre Mason's and Derrick Henry's high totals as the rule and not the exception. What people fail to take into account is the offenses those guys ran in. In addition to the blocking Tre got- not just from his OL but also from one of the best pure fullbacks college ball has seen this decade- he was in an offense that used misdirection to spread the defense out all over the field. In Derrick Henry's case, he was like a hot dog getting tossed down a hallway with the holes he was running through. 

There is no set, correct number of carries for a given football game. But it is a rare situation where it's appropriate for a guy to average over 20 per game for an entire season. 

Archived