Another mass shooting is underway

AUDub

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

QFT indeed!  You never responded.  Were you joking or were you serious?  Here's the the sequence of posts in case you've forgotten:

Next time you quote Adam Schiff or get an idea from something he said, give him credit. :laugh:

Sorry, not following. 

Are you suggesting Schiff relies on cultural division and prejudice as a political tactic?   Can you provide an example?

It might be a perfectly reasonable suspicion, but it happens to be false.

Now you are insisting it's fact, when it's not. 

(But admittedly, I don't know if you are joking.  Seriously.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you accused me of quoting Adam Schiff  by using the term "modus operandi".  Apparently, your justification for that accusation was that Schiff had used the same term a few days earlier.

Now considering it's a very common and universally known term and considering I had no knowledge of Schiff's comments, (as evidenced in my response) you still insist I was quoting Adam Schiff 

If you aren't joking, you are essentially calling me a liar because I won't admit to something that you think I was doing, even after I explained I had no idea of what you are talking about, as indicated above.

This is the "serious discussion" political forum.  As far as I am concerned, exchanges of witty barbs or even ridicule are fine as long as they are directed toward a poster's comments or positions that have been posted.

What should be unacceptable are lies or misrepresentations of other's posts - say by begging the question.  If you cannot link every response to statement of fact or opinion made by another poster, then you need to concede you were mistaken.

Otherwise, without rules (of logic) and a little bit of integrity we might as well eliminate the "serious discussion" forum all together.  Doubling down on a proven mistake is no different that doubling down on an unsupported lie.  Likewise, a constant dependence on logical fallacies should be grounds for disqualification from the "serious talk" forum.

Again, why bother with a "serious talk" forum if such deliberately dishonest tactics are allowed.  Why bother to play at all if there are no rules?

Just my opinion.

Wrong, he said it a few hours before, not days before. It also headlined major news outlets as well.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good read. 

Donald Trump’s Anti-Semitism Problem—And Ours

Tree of Life synagogue murders

A woman stands at a memorial outside the Tree of Life synagogue after a shooting there left 11 people dead in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh on October 27.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
October 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM
Trumpism (if not Trump himself) has given oxygen to some of the ugliest impulses among us.

Near the end of his 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump laid out his theory of a vast globalist conspiracy. “Hillary Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special interest friends and her donors,” Trump said.

“It’s a global power structure that is responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth, and put that money into the pockets of a handful of large corporations and political entities,” Trump continued. “We’ve seen this firsthand in the WikiLeaks documents in which Hillary Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special-interest friends, and her donors.”

Time magazine called this his “Grand Unified Campaign Conspiracy Theory” that drew upon “conspiracy theories that have been nurtured for years by far-right-wing outlets like InfoWars, which has been a home for 9/11 “truthers,” and unfounded claims about the Bilderberg Group and the World Economic Forum.”

4 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Are you truly interested in my perspective?

Assuming the question necessitates stipulations that there is a surge in anti-semitism, and said surge can be demonstrably proven, I would say there is no singular cause. However, I do not find it unreasonable that the current political climate can play a role, the responsibility of which extends across the entire political spectrum. Likewise, I suppose various media outlets can play a role too. Again, this assumes the stipulations are satisfied.

I really was curious what everyone thought. I have my theory, but I wanted to know that the other side of the spectrum thinks.  My answer to it is that the neo nazis and white nationalists feel empowered and sparked by someone becoming president, whom they feel is alligned with them, idiologically. I don't think that the main stream media has done anything to empower white nationalism and anti semitism. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I really was curious what everyone thought. I have my theory, but I wanted to know that the other side of the spectrum thinks.  My answer to it is that the neo nazis and white nationalists feel empowered and sparked by someone becoming president, whom they feel is alligned with them, idiologically. I don't think that the main stream media has done anything to empower white nationalism and anti semitism. 

Yes, I figured you were in line with the mainstream thoughts that others have articulated. Clearly, I have a differing opinion. That’s why I facepalmed.

Feel free to facepalm me.

With peace and love.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Remember that black nationalist groups are also increasing. These groups are also :

"Typified by their anti-Semitic, anti-LGBT, anti-white rhetoric and conspiracy theories, these black nationalist groups should not be confused with activist groups such as Black Lives Matter and others that work for civil rights and to eliminate systemic racism," the report concluded.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/22/number-white-and-black-hate-groups-surge-under-trump-extremist-tracking-organization-says/363978002/

Like this guys comments:

Wachtel, a forensic psychologist and the author of the book Sociopaths & Psychopaths, said the rise of hate groups follows a loss of empathy. In a polarized nation, it's no surprise the extremes are getting further apart, he said.

“It can be boiled down to the mantra that the ends justify the means. If you feel very strongly about something, and you absolutely believe that it’s right, anything you do to further that goal is going to be right or justified, even if it’s dangerous or tramples on the rights of others," Wachtel said.

That goes for everything from walking into a persons yard and destroying their property to physical violence. Everything is justified if it fits the cause you blindly identify with. Which is what many do now, they are blindly committed on both sides.

Empowerment, loss of empathy, blind commitment, bigotry, desensitization to violence. These are all things that have been increasing in America years before Trump (I'm not saying Trump didn't play his part and isn't a problem). I will see if I can find it again, but GF showed me an article that involved a study that was 50/50 Clinton/Trump supporters. It measured tolerance/acceptance for bigotry and hate pre-election and post election. Interestingly enough tolerance/acceptance increased significantly for both Trump and Clinton supporters post election.

I feel like this was coming regardless. Trumps election set it off. Though I really believe it would have eventually happened at some point with or without him.

42 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Trump may be many things, but he isn't an anti-Semite (agree), a racist (debatable based on past actions prior to presidency) or a white nationalist (agree).  Crazy people do crazy things. 

55 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Trump may be many things, but he isn't an anti-semite, a racist or a white nationalist.  Crazy people do crazy things. 

I don't believe he is any of those things either, for real. Mainly because Donald Trump truly only cares about himself. He just loves being praised and white nationalists and racists praise him and he doesn't want that to stop. In short, he doesn't care what you are, who you are, or where you are, as long as you're kissing his ass. That's what drives Donald Trump to respect you. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't believe he is any of those things either, for real. Mainly because Donald Trump truly only cares about himself. He just loves being praised and white nationalists and racists praise him and he doesn't want that to stop. In short, he doesn't care what you are, who you are, or where you are, as long as you're kissing his ass. That's what drives Donald Trump to respect you. 

100% agree with that.

I went with the Texas Rhetoric and voted Beto.

23 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Wrong, he said it a few hours before, not days before. It also headlined major news outlets as well.

Like I said, never heard it and never saw it.

So what?  Are you doubling down on your false assumption?

23 hours ago, AUDub said:

This is a good read. 

Trump will say ******* anything.

But he won't reveal anything about his own personal financing, which hasn't been coming from the American banking system lately.

8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You just falsified the context. You said I grabbed a quote from days before. You owe me an apology.

I apologize for getting that fact wrong, but it certainly wasn't directed at you.  And it only proves I didn't know about Schiff's comments.

So it is you who owes me the apology for making a false charge.

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I apologize for getting that fact wrong, but it certainly wasn't directed at you.  And it only proves I didn't know about Schiff's comments.

So it is you who owes me the apology for making a false charge.

How do I know you’re not deliberately misrepresenting context to help your case?

25 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

How do I know you’re not deliberately misrepresenting context to help your case?

You don't.  You just have to assume I am speaking from good faith, based on my record.  Just like I have to trust you and assume you really believed what you accused me of.  I also have to trust you accept my account of what I said.

You are the one who has made a frivolous accusation.  I am simply defending myself from a false charge. 

But if you aren't going to play by any rules, and if you are unwilling to give me the benefit of trusting my truthfulness,  then **** you. 

You are a dishonest little weasel and I have no further interest in seriously engaging you.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

You are the one who has made a frivolous accusation.  I am simply defending myself from a false charge. 

You're acting like you just received a subpoena. Take a chill pill. This is not that serious. 

But if you aren't going to play by any rules, and if you are unwilling to give me the benefit of trusting my truthfulness,  then **** you.

That was not nice.

You are a dishonest little weasel and I have no further interest in seriously engaging you.

Tell me what else is new

On 10/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, johnnyAU said:

Trump may be many things, but he isn't an anti-semite, a racist or a white nationalist.  Crazy people do crazy things. 

But he's certainly willing to fan the flames of anti-semitism and racism for political gain.

That's just as bad IMO.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

But he's certainly willing to fan the flames of anti-semitism and racism for political gain.

That's just as bad IMO.

Well, you would.  :-\

I've never seen him fan the flames of anti-semitism, and I'm no Trump fan.  He just has no filter, and that's a big part of the problem.

The guy involved in the recent shootings in fact thought Trump had a soft spot for Jewish people. 

52 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Well, you would.  :-\

I've never seen him fan the flames of anti-semitism, and I'm no Trump fan.  He just has no filter, and that's a big part of the problem.

The guy involved in the recent shootings in fact thought Trump had a soft spot for Jewish people. 

Never confuse homer with facts.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:47 AM, homersapien said:

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

How has confronting you and your fellow Trumpers on this form worked so far in showing you the error of your ways?  ;D

Of course I am serious. Show me my error. Oh wait, you can't. Nice try though.

Secondly, Trumper? You know better, yet idiocy won't allow you to admit it. I frequently call out your and others absurdity as it relates to Trump, but in no way does that make me a Trumper. I didn't vote for the fool. Some of us simply see idiocy like yours and have no problem letting you know what and idiot you are.

Perhaps I should purchase you a sippy cup you little weaselly cry baby. Or perhaps another participation trophy is in order. Pathetic dude. Just pathetic. 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:55 AM, homersapien said:

My irony meter pegged out on that one.

I know why too. Sorry to call you out. IIWII

On 10/28/2018 at 10:57 AM, homersapien said:

Perhaps you are the crazy racist uncle?

Quite certain that crown adorns you. Deal with it. ;)

23 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You're acting like you just received a subpoena. Take a chill pill. This is not that serious. 

That was not nice.

Tell me what else is new

I JUST RECEIVED A SUBPOENA. 

Archived