Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We are monetarily the 7th most valuable football program in existence, tying Notre Dame for revenue and ahead of Florida & LSU. Our new facilities are absolutely premiere. We recruit consistently in the top 10. Our head coach is the 5th highest paid in the nation. We have 3 SEC titles in the past 15 years, with only Bama having more and only LSU tying us. We have 2 national title game appearances in the last 10 seasons, with 1 win.

I very clearly stated above this isn't your grandfather's Auburn football. This program has ascended rapidly in the past 20 years. So now I'll flip the question to you. How can you look at our resources and our recent (10-20 years) successes and NOT put us in the Top 10? Name 10 better.

Since 2000 we are 17th in winning percentage. Schools ranked ahead of us include Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, USC, Oregon, FSU, Miami, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, TCU, Wisconsin, and Clemson. Most of those have at least one Natty during that time. Most have multiple conference titles. Many have had one or more undefeated season. Several on that list recently beat us in head to head match ups. ( 8 of them to be exact) And all of them have tricked out facilities. Revenue means nothing to me as a fan, so I don’t personally consider that. I respect that you do. We can agree that AU has great tradition and resources, but will be apart on whether or not we are a Top 10 program.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree with corch on the system itself. The system itself ( no coach) I do really like. Because that system, paired with variety, and personnel can be scary, we see flashes of what it could be. However, where most of us agree is, the way Gus consistently runs the “system”, that ain’t it. The lack of variety/being predictable and not adapting to the game and/or team weaknesses is what drags the system down here. We have the skill personnel to still have a better than decent offense, even with our OL struggles, but those two things are major reasons why we continually struggle on O.

I agree but with Gus we will be first and foremost a power run team.  Everything is based off that and the play action.  We haven’t been able to establish the run at all therefore some of the other stuff doesn’t work.  It’s just one of those years where when one group does their job like pass protection the WR drops a wide open TD catch or the OL and WR do their jobs and the QB overthrows the WR with no one within 20 yards of him. Running back missing reads on blocking schemes, not picking up blitzing backers.  I admittedly thought the OL and KMart would be further along but they aren’t so we are where we are at this point.  But I know just like this weekend if we execute we can beat the Dawgs.  If we don’t we will lose.  Bama is a totally different beast all together.

As I’ve said before every offense is predictable and has tendencies.  Timing of breaking those tendencies can cause big plays but can’t make up the basis of your offense.  Kind of like the throw back to R Davis and his pass for the TD this past weekend.  

Execution is and will always be the key on offense and that falls on both coach and player.

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Since 2000 we are 17th in winning percentage. Schools ranked ahead of us include Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, USC, Oregon, FSU, Miami, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, TCU, Wisconsin, and Clemson. Most of those have at least one Natty during that time. Most have multiple conference titles. Many have had one or more undefeated season. Several on that list recently beat us in head to head match ups. ( 8 of them to be exact) And all of them have tricked out facilities. Revenue means nothing to me as a fan, so I don’t personally consider that. I respect that you do. We can agree that AU has great tradition and resources, but will be apart on whether or not we are a Top 10 program.

Of those 14 you listed, would you consider Miami currently a better program than us? How about Wisconsin? TCU? Oregon? Florida State?

USC hasn't been relevant in a long time. Nor has Texas or Florida. LSU is no better a program than we are. And even though they are on a better current trajectory, UGA has nothing we don't have.

We are as strong or stronger than everyone other than Oklahoma, Alabama, and Ohio State (which you didn't list). And if we had someone to keep us from bottoming out like in 2008, 2012, and 2015, we would have a BETTER winning % than almost anyone you listed.

32 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

You're not wrong about Auburn having a claim as a top 10 program over the last two decades. Here's the thing though: when you really get down to it, Gus has a claim as a top 10 coach. He's one of only eight coaches with a NC game appearance. He's one of only three active SEC coaches with a conference title. He's the only coach to beat Nick Saban more than once at his current school (only Meyer and Richt have done it more than once period). He's never had a losing season, been bowling every year, and has multiple 10 win seasons. Find me 10 more coaches that have that resume because there can't be many. 

What years did Mark Richt beat Saban? Not sure I believe this.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I would love absolutely nothing more than for a flip to switch in Gus' head and we get back to dominant, fun, SANE football. 

But we lost to Tennessee. At home. In year 6. Inept. That type of loss proves that Gus is inept. 

Not really...The plays were there for Auburn to win. Just too many mistakes by the ones who should not be making them. Against UT The two turnovers by JS and Slayton dropping a sure TD....I’ll say it again as putrid as the offense has been this season Auburn is 3 or 4 plays away from being 8-1. Can’t have your upperclassmen dropping balls and overthrowing receivers.

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

What years did Mark Richt beat Saban? Not sure I believe this.

LSU 2004 and Alabama 2007

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree but with Gus we will be first and foremost a power run team.  Everything is based off that and the play action.  We haven’t been able to establish the run at all therefore some of the other stuff doesn’t work.  It’s just one of those years where when one group does their job like pass protection the WR drops a wide open TD catch or the OL and WR do their jobs and the QB overthrows the WR with no one within 20 yards of him. Running back missing reads on blocking schemes, not picking up blitzing backers.  I admittedly thought the OL and KMart would be further along but they aren’t so we are where we are at this point.  But I know just like this weekend if we execute we can beat the Dawgs.  If we don’t we will lose.  Bama is a totally different beast all together.

As I’ve said before every offense is predictable and has tendencies.  Timing of breaking those tendencies can cause big plays but can’t make up the basis of your offense.  Kind of like the throw back to R Davis and his pass for the TD this past weekend.  

Execution is and will always be the key on offense and that falls on both coach and player.

That can be your philosophy (which I like a power run philosophy) and your “bread and butter” but don’t force it into the ground if it isn’t working. Several times this year, we went quick passing game, slants, drags, throws over the middle, ran up tempo and it opened up the run. The result, we had a D on their heels and scored TD’s. This should have been our identity this year with this teams personnel. If you don’t have the personnel, you have to adapt for your offense to be successful even if it goes against the “philosophy”. The team has to have an Identity. 

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree with this assessment...

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

LSU 2004 and Alabama 2007

Ok well those would be the most likely years so I believe you.

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Not really...The plays were there for Auburn to win. Just too many mistakes by the ones who should not be making them. Against UT The two turnovers by JS and Slayton dropping a sure TD....I’ll say it again as putrid as the offense has been this season Auburn is 3 or 4 plays away from being 8-1. Can’t have your upperclassmen dropping balls and overthrowing receivers.

We had just lost to Miss State. Gus said "We are gonna come out fighting like last year, our backs are against the wall." Tennessee had lost 11 straight SEC games. We were at home.

To lose that game... hell, for it to even be CLOSE is inexcusable and 100% on the head coach. Contextually it was the worst Auburn loss since probably at Georgia Tech in 2002. 

Inept, dude.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

That can be your philosophy (which I like a power run philosophy) and your “bread and butter” but don’t force it into the ground if it isn’t working. Several times this year, we went quick passing game, slants, drags, throws over the middle, ran up tempo and it opened up the run. The result, we had a D on their heels and scored TD’s. This should have been our identity this year with this teams personnel. If you don’t have the personnel, you have to adapt for your offense to be successful even if it goes against the “philosophy”. The team has to have an Identity. 

I see your point for sure.  Last second loss to LSU wasn't the time to change philosophy when trying to establish a young OL.  MSU was just a disaster all the way around the offensive scheme was there enough to put up plenty of points but horrible execution.  Was it pretty not at all.  Then UT... I think the D and O both lost focus after getting eliminated from their goals.  

So now we are just a very average team with some big play potential.  Do you scrap development to try to change course to try to steal a win or do you try to grow your young OL that you will need next year.  That's the tough decisions coaches have to make.  I'm good with either choice at this point.  If we only had 1 loss i'd be on the bandwagon saying lets try to do anything to move the ball.  

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Auburn has never in my lifetime fired a coach with a winning record TBH. Obviously, this situation is a tad bit different with the stakes that much higher. I just thought if he survived A&M he would be safe. I am not expecting victories against Bama and Georgia, so that does nothing for me. A lot of how I view Gus would be based on off season moves.

Not many fans are but that would be the thing that would tick me off more than I already am at him. If he pulled off the unimaginable and beat them both then that would make the losses to UT and MSU even worse. Hard to believe that would be possible but it is. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not many fans are but that would be the thing that would tick me off more than I already am at him. If he pulled off the unimaginable and beat them both then that would make the losses to UT and MSU even worse. Hard to believe that would be possible but it is. 

I'd be smiling ear to ear.  Anytime we win and uga and bammer loses is a great day.  

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Of those 14 you listed, would you consider Miami currently a better program than us? How about Wisconsin? TCU? Oregon? Florida State?

USC hasn't been relevant in a long time. Nor has Texas or Florida. LSU is no better a program than we are. And even though they are on a better current trajectory, UGA has nothing we don't have.

We are as strong or stronger than everyone other than Oklahoma, Alabama, and Ohio State (which you didn't list). And if we had someone to keep us from bottoming out like in 2008, 2012, and 2015, we would have a BETTER winning % than almost anyone you listed.

You are what your record says you are. LSU and UGA have beaten us much more that’s weve beaten them the last 10-20 years, and have been much more consistent, so to me, they’re better programs than us. USC(who is 2-0 vs us a few years back) and Texas were on Dominant runs 10-12 years ago and have historically been better than us. Wisconsin is much more consistent that AU and they’ve won the last couple of head to heads with us. FSU beat us in the Natty and has had many more double digit win seasons and consistency than us.  You’re referencing revenue and potential and resources in your analysis of where we should be. I’m referencing accomplishments on the field and what the record reflects. Every school could take out their bad seasons and elevate their overall win %, but it doesn’t work that way.  Our bottoming out is what keeps us from being a Top 10 program. AU is a really solid Top 15 program and could move up the ranks with more consistency. Until we quit vacillating from New Years 6 Bowls to Birmingham Bowls, I will not consider us a Top 10 program. I respect the fact that you dont see it that way. War Eagle and I’ve enjoyed the exchange. 

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I see your point for sure.  Last second loss to LSU wasn't the time to change philosophy when trying to establish a young OL.  MSU was just a disaster all the way around the offensive scheme was there enough to put up plenty of points but horrible execution.  Was it pretty not at all.  Then UT... I think the D and O both lost focus after getting eliminated from their goals.  

So now we are just a very average team with some big play potential.  Do you scrap development to try to change course to try to steal a win or do you try to grow your young OL that you will need next year.  That's the tough decisions coaches have to make.  I'm good with either choice at this point.  If we only had 1 loss i'd be on the bandwagon saying lets try to do anything to move the ball. 

That same OL looked a lot better on drives, in that game too, like the ones I mentioned. 

My opinion, it’s not just about these last few games. You adapt the way you attack opponents to win games, around your teams strengths. It’s not about changing “philosophy”, it’s about calling an offense around your teams strengths, give your team some kind of identity. Gus used to have a reputation as an OC for molding his O to the strengths of his personnel.

edit: the top sentence got messed up, pressed back space and it went into your quote,  backspaced and it messed up the font

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We had just lost to Miss State. Gus said "We are gonna come out fighting like last year, our backs are against the wall." Tennessee had lost 11 straight SEC games. We were at home.

To lose that game... hell, for it to even be CLOSE is inexcusable and 100% on the head coach. Contextually it was the worst Auburn loss since probably at Georgia Tech in 2002. 

Inept, dude.

We had too many turnovers (one was returned for TD,) and made another horrible offense look good. IIWII

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Maybe so but that just puts Gus at a no win situation. I think we are at a point where you either want Gus gone or you want to keep him. I am trying to give him the benefit of a doubt but both sides are at each other’s neck. I hope Gus and the boys do beat the pants off UGA Saturday and whatever frustration I have would be in the rear view due to the decision made today. I can’t fault you for your frustration should we win due to the inconsistency, so I completely understand.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I'd be smiling ear to ear.  Anytime we win and uga and bammer loses is a great day.  

Wasn't implying that I didn't want to win. I just meant that Gus still wouldn't be in good graces in my opinion. Winning those games and laying an egg in the other two is inexcusable to me. 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are what your record says you are. LSU and UGA have beaten us much more that’s weve beaten them the last 10-20 years, and have been much more consistent, so to me, they’re better programs than us. USC(who is 2-0 vs us a few years back) and Texas were on Dominant runs 10-12 years ago and have historically been better than us. Wisconsin is much more consistent that AU and they’ve won the last couple of head to heads with us. FSU beat us in the Natty and has had many more double digit win seasons and consistency than us.  You’re referencing revenue and potential and resources in your analysis of where we should be. I’m referencing accomplishments on the field and what the record reflects. Every school could take out their bad seasons and elevate their overall win %, but it doesn’t work that way.  Our bottoming out is what keeps us from being a Top 10 program. AU is a really solid Top 15 program and could move up the ranks with more consistency. Until we quit vacillating from New Years 6 Bowls to Birmingham Bowls, I will not consider us a Top 10 program. I respect the fact that you dont see it that way. War Eagle and I’ve enjoyed the exchange. 

I see what you're saying, there's just no way a program like Wisconsin is better than Auburn in any regard. They beat us in two meaningless bowl games, sure, but who cares? I'm talking a much more macro, practical look at which programs are relevant nationally in terms of titles, attracting recruits, facilities, pro factory, revenue, etc. We could take any recruit we wanted from a team like Wisky and could beat them head to head almost every year. We are a better program IMO. 

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We had too many turnovers (one was a pick six,) and made another horrible offense look good. IIWII

And that's somehow not the coach's responsibility? Also, 3 turnovers isn't a death sentence for any team. But when you add it to the fact we couldn't move the ball, we couldn't stop them, and we couldn't force our own turnovers, then yeah, the turnovers are deadly.

It all comes back to Gus Malzahn's failure to put a team on the field capable of the easy task of defeating the worst UT team in their program's history... AT HOME. It can't be overstated how huge this loss was.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I see what you're saying, there's just no way a program like Wisconsin is better than Auburn in any regard. They beat us in two meaningless bowl games, sure, but who cares? I'm talking a much more macro, practical look at which programs are relevant nationally in terms of titles, attracting recruits, facilities, pro factory, revenue, etc. We could take any recruit we wanted from a team like Wisky and could beat them head to head almost every year. We are a better program IMO. 

So those were meaningless games because we lost them? lol 

Archived