Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I know why he was canned. Championships.

Just state that you want a coach that doesn't lose and wins championships every year vs dancing around with I want 9-10 wins a year, then changing that to well those 9-10 wins have to matter. I'm good with someone that will say that.

Hate to tell Georgia, but they are gonna have those same issues until Saban is gone if he holds serve. Cause he has never been beaten by an understudy.

Here is the thing for me. The amount of faith that people have in Gus turning things around. That is the amount of faith that I have in Auburn's PTB/Faculty/BOT's ever bringing in the type of coach people keep referring to.

Well of course that's what I mean. A championship season usually consists of 10-13 wins. Every year doesn't have to be a title year, but I want some one who doesn't take us on the Auburn roller coaster of 12 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 13 wins.

So the realistic median number of wins for a coach that wins championships and doesn't have disaster years would be about 9-10 wins per year. I want title contention every. frickin. year. We don't have to win it every year but we should be right there.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well of course that's what I mean. A championship season usually consists of 10-13 wins. Every year doesn't have to be a title year, but I want some one who doesn't take us on the Auburn roller coaster of 12 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 13 wins.

So the realistic median number of wins for a coach that wins championships and doesn't have disaster years would be about 9-10 wins per year. I want title contention every. frickin. year. We don't have to win it every year but we should be right there.

You are easily the rookie of the year here! No one else is close. Also you are officially fam and the brodie!!! Love the content you are pumping out. I agree with every word. I just ran out of likes..... Mainly from liking all of your posts!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are easily the rookie of the year here! No one else is close. Also you are officially fam and the brodie!!! Love the content you are pumping out. I agree with every word. I just ran out of likes..... Mainly from liking all of your posts!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!

I FEEL THE LOVE AND I AM EMPOWERED.

Just now, AUght2win said:

I FEEL THE LOVE AND I AM EMPOWERED.

LOVE AND LIGHT BABY!!!!!!! lol WOOOO LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

LOL Gus to get more consistent?! COME ON POET!!! You know that is never going to happen. People will be waiting a loooooooooong time for that. Also that is not a reason to keep him. If they deserve to be fired...... FIRE THEM!

rtr.gif

I think he can( hope too).just needs to get a good OL recruiting coach in place and get some balance on these highly recruited classes. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Leave his a$$ at Legion Field. Do not let him get on the bus.

Bfq.gif

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I want some one who doesn't take us on the Auburn roller coaster of 12 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 13 wins.

And whom do you have in mind for this?.

Guest WarEagleSteve
5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Absolutely false.

Also, who burned their program to the ground in search of consistent success? UGA didn't when it fired Richt. Penn State didn't when it went for Franklin. They are back in the national picture. Michigan didn't when they went for Harbaugh. They have returned to prominence. Texas A&M is already better under Jimbo. LSU is in the top 10 exactly 2 years after Les Miles was fired.

Seems to me that nobody is burning their programs down, rather they are holding them to higher standards. And it's working.

James Franklin has lost at least three games every year he's been at Penn State except one and is .500 in bowl games. Michigan hasn't beaten Ohio State or finished higher than 3rd in its division since Khaki Jesus came to town. Texas A&M is on track to finish the season 8-4 AKA Kevin Sumlin's average finish, and LSU is in the top 10 but is still anemic on offense and incapable of beating Alabama, the same spot they were in under Le Chapeau. Meanwhile, Tennessee hasn't sniffed relevance since they fired Fulmer, Texas MAYBE has their guy in Tom Herman but the jury's still out, Oregon hasn't been the same since Chip Kelly left, USC is still trying to figure things out post Pete Carroll, Miami hasn't won a conference title since Larry Coker got fired, Florida's been a disaster post Urban Meyer, and Florida State is in the middle of a season long meltdown post Jimbo Fisher. 

Georgia lucked out with Kirby Smart but I would argue the sample size is still too small to tell long term. Clemson was fortunate to find Dabo post Tommy Bowden. Firing a moderately successful guy and hoping you get an all-star is a GAMBLE. Success is not guaranteed and the consequences for not getting it right are significant. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Absolutely false.

Also, who burned their program to the ground in search of consistent success? UGA didn't when it fired Richt. Penn State didn't when it went for Franklin. They are back in the national picture. Michigan didn't when they went for Harbaugh. They have returned to prominence. Texas A&M is already better under Jimbo. LSU is in the top 10 exactly 2 years after Les Miles was fired.

Seems to me that nobody is burning their programs down, rather they are holding them to higher standards. And it's working.

Isn't Franklin like 0-11 on the road vs ranked teams and losing by an average of like 28 points a game? That isn't winning games that matter.

Harbaugh is 2-5 vs rivals, no championships, and hasn't made it to the show. That isn't meeting the criteria. See if he can get around Ohio State this year finally.

LSU isn't winning the west, they aren't winning the SEC, and they won't be in the Playoffs. So none of those wins matter. They lost to Florida and Alabama.

Texas aTm is the most valuable program in the nation. We get their type of money and stop using student fee's to support the AD with the money men paying everything. Fire coaches every year if you like.

Nebraska went backwards. Tennessee went backwards. Texas went backwards. Florida has gone backwards.

39 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

LMAO what's your point? Do you get satisfaction out of manufacturing a false ceiling that Auburn is limited by? We are a top 10 program. Would you deny this? I would hope not. So therefore, it's time for top 10 expectations. Auburn shouldn't believe they are any less capable of being a consistent winner than ANYONE else.

What’s your definition of a Top 10 program, and what historical perspective are you using to place us there? History, recent and past has us Around 15th based on wins and winning percentage. Our all time winning percentage is around 62%, which in 2018 would be an 8-5 record on average. Am I content with that? No. Should we be winning more consistency? Absolutely. But the Top 10 we are not. And based on the record, we trail Bama, UGA, LSU, and UT in the SEC. 

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You love our offense? You love not attacking the middle of the field? You love being predictable? I HATE our offense! lol. I LOVE watching Sean Payton and Sean McVays offense. I LOVE watching Lincoln Rileys offense. Ours? It physically makes me ill! haha.

I grew up a running back...forced to be a QB in high school so I will always be biased toward the run game.  Regardless of points potential.  To win games in the SEC you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run and they go hand in hand.  

We attack the middle of the field in many different ways.  Does Stidham always throw in there?  No.  Sean White almost always threw in the middle of the field.  

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Thats the question I keep posing. I posted this in another thread a day or two ago, but here is a brief list of the ‘hot coaches” of recent past. Most of them were mentioned on these boards as a great coach for AU at some point.

Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Jim Harbaugh, David Shaw, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Bobby Petrino, Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Justin Fuente, Lane Kiffin, Jeff Brohm, Scott Frost, and Chip Kelly. Who on that list has beaten Saban twice, won an SEC title and played for a Natty? I fell off the Gus support train after the UTenn loss. But the easiest thing in the world is to say “empty the bank and hire coach so and so” or “we need to get a guy who will produce championships and sustain 10 wins a year.” The hard part is finding who that is. And the penalty for getting it wrong; ask Nebraska or Tennessee. 

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Awesome. Let me know when those coaches come beating on Auburn's door or when our PTB develops the ability to lure them in and capture them.

Guest WarEagleSteve
1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Awesome. Let me know when those coaches come beating on Auburn's door or when our PTB develops the ability to lure them in and capture them.

Let's be honest, how many of those coaches are actually out there? 

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What’s your definition of a Top 10 program, what historical perspective are you using to place us there? History, recent and past has us Around 15th based on wins and winning percentage. Our all time winning percentage is around 62%, which in 2018 would be an 8-5 record on average. Am I content with that? No. Should we be winning more consistency? Absolutely. But the Top 10 we are not. And based on the record, we trail Bama, UGA, LSU, and UT in the SEC. 

We are monetarily the 7th most valuable football program in existence, tying Notre Dame for revenue and ahead of Florida & LSU. Our new facilities are absolutely premiere. We recruit consistently in the top 10. Our head coach is the 5th highest paid in the nation. We have 3 SEC titles in the past 15 years, with only Bama having more and only LSU tying us. We have 2 national title game appearances in the last 10 seasons, with 1 win.

I very clearly stated above this isn't your grandfather's Auburn football. This program has ascended rapidly in the past 20 years. So now I'll flip the question to you. How can you look at our resources and our recent (10-20 years) successes and NOT put us in the Top 10? Name 10 better.

16 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thats the question I keep posing. I posted this in another thread a day or two ago, but here is a brief list of the ‘hot coaches” of recent past. Most of them were mentioned on these boards as a great coach for AU at some point.

Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Jim Harbaugh, David Shaw, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Bobby Petrino, Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Justin Fuente, Scott Frost, and Chip Kelly. Who on that list has beaten Saban twice, won an SEC title and played for a Natty? I fell off the Gus support train after the UTenn loss. But the easiest thing in the world is to say “empty the bank and hire coach so and so” or “we need to get a guy who will produce championships and sustain 10 wins a year.” The hard part is finding who that is. 

Yep.

Either way I'm just glad Greene came out and made a statement so that recruiting can move forward.   Lets get behind our boys and try to make the best of this difficult remaining schedule.  

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

To win games in the SEC you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run and they go hand in hand.  

Give us back our 2010 or 2013 Olines and we'd be undefeated. Gus needs to find an oline coach that can recruit. JMO.

Guest WarEagleSteve
9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We are monetarily the 7th most valuable football program in existence, tying Notre Dame for revenue and ahead of Florida & LSU. Our new facilities are absolutely premiere. We recruit consistently in the top 10. Our head coach is the 5th highest paid in the nation. We have 3 SEC titles in the past 15 years, with only Bama having more and only LSU tying us. We have 2 national title game appearances in the last 10 seasons, with 1 win.

I very clearly stated above this isn't your grandfather's Auburn football. This program has ascended rapidly in the past 20 years. So now I'll flip the question to you. How can you look at our resources and our recent (10-20 years) successes and NOT put us in the Top 10? Name 10 better.

You're not wrong about Auburn having a claim as a top 10 program over the last two decades. Here's the thing though: when you really get down to it, Gus has a claim as a top 10 coach. He's one of only eight coaches with a NC game appearance. He's one of only three active SEC coaches with a conference title. He's the only coach to beat Nick Saban more than once at his current school (only Meyer and Richt have done it more than once period). He's never had a losing season, been bowling every year, and has multiple 10 win seasons. Find me 10 more coaches that have that resume because there can't be many. 

58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You love our offense? You love not attacking the middle of the field? You love being predictable? I HATE our offense! lol. I LOVE watching Sean Payton and Sean McVays offense. I LOVE watching Lincoln Rileys offense. Ours? It physically makes me ill! haha.

I agree with corch on the system itself. The system itself ( no coach) I do really like. Because that system, paired with variety, and personnel can be scary, we see flashes of what it could be. However, where most of us agree is, the way Gus consistently runs the “system”, that ain’t it. The lack of variety/being predictable and not adapting to the game and/or team weaknesses is what drags the system down here. We have the skill personnel to still have a better than decent offense, even with our OL struggles, but those two things are major reasons why we continually struggle on O.

30 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Has any one answered this question yet?

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We are 8th. Notre Dame turned more profit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/#5a8c107c6c64

No question we are a top 10 program money wise, that list is littered with SEC teams. So again, with that, why should I believe that these individuals that havn't gotten it right yet get it right this time at the tune of $32 million?

Yet we don't seem to able to get the big fish coaching wise.... what do you think the reason is?

Archived