Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

All I ask is a return of the 2013/14 offense. Get there and we're all singing Kumbaya into late November.

Those two seasons were an anomaly, not the norm you should expect. We won some football games then in which we had 8 passing attempts in an entire game. There is no way in today's game that is going to be sustainable consistently. I tried to warn people of that fact then, and I will reiterate it now. If you have the horses on the offensive line, and in the backfield to consistently run the football successfully into 8, and 9 man fronts with them knowing what is coming it makes you look like a genius when actually a fifth grader could coordinate an offense given those circumstances.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But when you add it to the fact we couldn't move the ball,

We had two three and outs just like they did. We could move the ball when we weren’t turning the ball over and dropping easy TDs. 

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It all comes back to Gus Malzahn's failure to put a team on the field capable of the easy task of defeating the worst UT team in their program's history... AT HOME. It can't be overstated how huge this loss was.

It was a lack of execution loss. The offensive  game plan was actually fairly clean. 

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I see what you're saying, there's just no way a program like Wisconsin is better than Auburn in any regard. They beat us in two meaningless bowl games, sure, but who cares? I'm talking a much more macro, practical look at which programs are relevant nationally in terms of titles, attracting recruits, facilities, pro factory, revenue, etc. We could take any recruit we wanted from a team like Wisky and could beat them head to head almost every year. We are a better program IMO. 

You may be right but there is still a lot of bias in your post. We did try to recruit a RB that chose Wisconsin though. Can’t remember who. Was it Taylor?

26 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

So those were meaningless games because we lost them? lol 

Here's a little litmus test if you're wondering what constitutes a meaningless game. Ask yourself, if Auburn had won/lost this game, would it have changed our current position as a program?

So, did losing the 2014 Outback Bowl and 2005 Capital One Bowl affect our trajectory? Would we be a decidedly different, better program today had we won those games? No. 

Now take a game like TAMU 2014 on the other hand... 

4 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Chip Kelly nearly burned Oregon's program to the ground from an NCAA standpoint in turning them into a contender and they haven't been a "winner" since he left. UGA averaged 10 wins a year under Mark Richt and won half a dozen division titles and two SEC titles during that time so saying they "weren't a winner" prior to Smart getting there is patently false. Yes, Spurrier turned Florida into the most dominant SEC program of the 90s. They've also spent nearly as long wandering the proverbial wilderness during the time that he and Urban Meyer weren't the coach. Yes, Auburn has the resources to be a top 10 program in college football. You know who else does too? Penn State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and a half dozen others. You know why they aren't? Because Nick Sabans, Steve Spurriers, and Urban Meyers don't grow on trees. Finding a quality football coach is hard. Finding someone who's going to average 10 wins a year in the SEC West year in and year out not named Nick Saban is borderline impossible. Hell, Georgia and LSU both had guys that did exactly that and fired both of them. I have as much issue with Gus underachieving with this amount of roster talent as anyone but this idea that we should fire him for it is how we'll wind up with our version of Derek Dooley. 

Exactly!

So don't replace him because we're scared that we may not get better? Be content with being mediocre? I hope people in charge don't suffer from that losing mentality

2 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

He's one of only three active SEC coaches with a conference title. He's the only coach to beat Nick Saban more than once at his current school (only Meyer and Richt have done it more than once period). He's never had a losing season, been bowling every year, and has multiple 10 win seasons. Find me 10 more coaches that have that resume because there can't be many. 

Oh well then, that's it folks, who's better? that about wraps it up in a nutshell. Everybody jump back on the GUS-BUS! What more do you expect? Gus is the man, best coach in the land, beats Saban more than 1 TIME, amazing.Never had a losing season, we should all be happy, happy, and bubbling over with joy! SMH! ( By the way anybody need a ticket to ride the G-Bus you can have mine FREE! Oh, and by the way,I was never at the bus stop to get on in that bus to start with.)

Guest WarEagleSteve
12 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Oh well then, that's it folks, who's better? that about wraps it up in a nutshell. Everybody jump back on the GUS-BUS! What more do you expect? Gus is the man, best coach in the land, beats Saban more than 1 TIME, amazing.Never had a losing season, we should all be happy, happy, and bubbling over with joy! SMH! ( By the way anybody need a ticket to ride the G-Bus you can have mine FREE! Oh, and by the way,I was never at the bus stop to get on in that bus to start with.)

"Elite college football coaches don't grow on trees so if you want Gus gone be careful what you wish for" =/= "Gus is the best coach we've ever had and we should be ecstatic that he's ours" and it is intellectually dishonest of you to pretend that was the argument being made. Do better. 

Auburn chooses not to hold Gus Malzahn accountable

Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com
Updated Posted 

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn watches during the second half of the Tigers' victory against Texas A&M. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

The latest sweetheart contract extension for Auburn’s football coach came last year after wins against rivals Georgia and Alabama.

This year, it appears his job isn’t even going to be evaluated based on those games.

It’s good to be Gus Malzahn.

This Auburn football season started in the Top 10, and it’s rounding Amen Corner with the new athletic director offering public support for his football coach. It’s official, then. Malzahn earned a gimmie season on top of his new, breathtakingly obscene buyout, and now Auburn has gone from College Football Playoff expectations to lame-duck rivalry games.

It doesn’t even matter how badly Auburn loses to Georgia and Alabama. Malzahn will be back next season and maybe even with a new transfer quarterback. If the Malzahn script follows history, Auburn will have lowered expectations and then exceed them.

Greene might be endorsing Malzahn publicly, but he has to know Auburn’s boosters and fans have lost their patience. The odds point to a five-loss season for Malzahn after signing a $49 million, seven-year contract extension. That’s about $1 million per win this season if you include victories against Alabama State and Liberty.

It’s unacceptable, and someone needs to be held accountable.

On Tuesday of Georgia week, Auburn first-year athletic director Allen Greene called Malzahn Auburn’s “coach of the future.” Why is Greene even talking about Malzahn’s job status the week of Auburn’s first big rivalry game of the season? It can’t be just for recruiting.

It’s a curious change in rhetoric for Greene after just a few weeks. Speaking in Birmingham on Oct. 15 (two days after the loss to Tennessee), he avoided offering a vote of confidence on Malzahn’s job status and performance.

How was Malzahn measuring up?

“I don’t think I should be the one who has to answer that,” Greene said at the time.

Malzahn’s buyout is $32 million this year, which all but ensured he would be back for 2019 after the win against Ole Miss. Greene didn’t have to say anything. And yet.

Greene felt the need to put his guarantee on it, and said Malzahn will be back for next year, and that he’s “looking forward to working with him for a long time.”

Auburn has been pumping a collective message of the future for three weeks now. Last week, Malzahn started mentioning next season in news conferences.

“Right now we have a bunch of freshmen who are coming on,” Malzahn said, “not just for the last four games, but for the future.”

Forget this season, Auburn fans. Scrub it from your memories.

With their coach entrenched for another season, Auburn fans can now sit back and enjoy their two biggest games of the year without even having to worry about how those outcomes might affect Malzahn’s job status. They’re all thrilled, I’m sure.

Remember when rivalry week used to mean something?

“He’ll be the coach next year, and I’m confident that he’s going to — he’s already proven that we can get through adversity," Greene said.

Spoken like a guy who has never been on the wrong end of 49-0 loss in the Iron Bowl.

If by “adversity” Greene means losing to LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee, and then salvaging the season with wins against Ole Miss and Texas A&M, then, yes, Malzahn made it through the fire of an imploding season.

With this public endorsement, though, Malzahn doesn’t even have to sweat the biggest games of the year. It’s like he’s getting a pass for an underperforming season.

Someone should still be holding Malzahn accountable, though. It was clear early on that expectations needed to be lowered on these Tigers, but Auburn isn’t walking into certain death against Georgia. The Tigers have the personnel to compete with the Dawgs this year in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

Malzahn can’t let this game get out of hand before an Iron Bowl that might get ugly. There was a time when this season started to feel hopeless, but, to his credit, Malzahn didn’t lose his team.

Auburn’s running game is non-existent at this point in the season, but the fourth quarter against Texas A&M was a reminder Malzahn still has some talent on offense. Quarterback Jarrett Stidham completed seven of his last eight passes of the game during the furious two-touchdown rally. It was inspiring to witness.

The only future Auburn should be talking about this week is spoiling Georgia’s. Knocking Kirby Smart and UGA out of contention for the College Football Playoff before the SEC championship game would be the best medicine for a frustrating season.

Giving Malzahn a pass before the games are even played is a poisoned pill for a bitter fanbase.

I bet Al.com gains some fans :no:

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So don't replace him because we're scared that we may not get better? Be content with being mediocre? I hope people in charge don't suffer from that losing mentality

I’m not saying that...replace him is fine by me. If you are gonna fork over 32 mill plus payoff a staff, then pay top $ for a new guy, then you gotta get a proven coach with a track record of winning. One that can recruit at a high level, develop at an even higher level, and most importantly consistently win and compete in the toughest conference out there. What some are saying is the cupboard is bare for that type. I’m sure the next Dabo is out there, I just have no clue where.

Guest WarEagleSteve
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

More like "be careful with firing a pretty good but deeply flawed coach in the hopes of getting a significantly better one because it may backfire on you" but sure let's call it acceptance of mediocrity. Is there some kind of "willfully misinterpreting an argument" class that I missed or something? This happens way too much to be a coincidence. 

Gus is a lame duck. With the poor recruiting we've done on the line and in our backfield, likely starting over at QB, losing some significant experience on D we're probably looking at a few more years similar to this one or worse. I don't care how you want to spin Gus, that won't fly for long. 

Few coaches - even the great ones - were ever "sure bets". Saban wasn't even that when LSU brought him in. We may wait a few years to ease the idiotic buyout we gave him, but Gus' days are numbered. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I see what you're saying, there's just no way a program like Wisconsin is better than Auburn in any regard. They beat us in two meaningless bowl games, sure, but who cares? I'm talking a much more macro, practical look at which programs are relevant nationally in terms of titles, attracting recruits, facilities, pro factory, revenue, etc. We could take any recruit we wanted from a team like Wisky and could beat them head to head almost every year. We are a better program IMO. 

If you lose to a team, you are not better than them.

12 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

AG and Leath needs to be shown the door along with CGM.

The writing on was on the wall when Steele’s contract was extended.

Why does AG need to be shown the door exactly? The Steele contract was lying around waiting to be signed for months. Nothing new there. He simply decided to sign the agreement made months earlier. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Why does AG need to be shown the door exactly? The Steele contract was lying around waiting to be signed for months. Nothing new there. He simply decided to sign the agreement made months earlier. 

Well it is peculiar for the drawn up contract to be “lying around for months” and then Steele signs it after tbe Tennessee game. 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I agree but with Gus we will be first and foremost a power run team.  Everything is based off that and the play action.  We haven’t been able to establish the run at all therefore some of the other stuff doesn’t work.  It’s just one of those years where when one group does their job like pass protection the WR drops a wide open TD catch or the OL and WR do their jobs and the QB overthrows the WR with no one within 20 yards of him. Running back missing reads on blocking schemes, not picking up blitzing backers.  I admittedly thought the OL and KMart would be further along but they aren’t so we are where we are at this point.  But I know just like this weekend if we execute we can beat the Dawgs.  If we don’t we will lose.  Bama is a totally different beast all together.

As I’ve said before every offense is predictable and has tendencies.  Timing of breaking those tendencies can cause big plays but can’t make up the basis of your offense.  Kind of like the throw back to R Davis and his pass for the TD this past weekend.  

Execution is and will always be the key on offense and that falls on both coach and player.

Nailed it. Look no further than 2010 or 2013. Our tendencies were obvious, yet we dominated. Why? Simple: our oline manhandled the d front. This is not as complicated as some would like to make it. 

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

I'll take your ticket? Not for the Gus bus but if you have game tickets lol

46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn chooses not to hold Gus Malzahn accountable

Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com
Updated Posted 

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn watches during the second half of the Tigers' victory against Texas A&M. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

not directed at you at all Jeff since I know you were just posting the article... But what does the writer of the article expect?  That Gus gets grounded?  Spanked at the 50 yard line during the Liberty game at half time?  

Gus knows the deal.  He will make some staff changes, he will try to find a couple linemen the GT route, maybe a QB if Jarrett is gone and try to improve the offense.  Plus he will try to close out a top 5-7 recruiting cycle.  Roll the dice for next year and see what happens in 2019.

I'm still not giving up on 2018.  We still have a 1/4 of the season to go.  Our 2 biggest rivals and I will never go into a game thinking AU has no chance.  Plus we will have bowl practice, spring practice, summer workouts, fall practices and scrimmages.  That's a lot of opportunity to get better at certain positions of need.  

7 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree. I'm predicting that Gus will not even last through 6 or 7 games next year if we're smart. Just look at next years' schedule. Open with Oregon...on the road at A&M, Florida, Arkansas and LSU before November. With a new QB and bad OL. He's barely gotten through this season. Who really think he's going to be an improvement when it gets harder next season. I understand we're in a tough spot not being able to get rid of him this season but I too think he's done next season for sure. I'm over this mess. It's past time to move on. It just sucks that we'd basically be wasting a season IMO. 

Gus is getting fired. Period.  He will not leave Auburn by choice.  I  say let's go ahead and fire him.   Giving him another year is only delaying the inevitable. 

19 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

"Elite college football coaches don't grow on trees so if you want Gus gone be careful what you wish for" =/= "Gus is the best coach we've ever had and we should be ecstatic that he's ours" and it is intellectually dishonest of you to pretend that was the argument being made. Do better. 

. "Intellectually dishonest", ok.  My sincere apologies Dr. Einstein. I didn't know that Gus was "Elite" when he was hired. Sorry that I misread your post, but with all the credit that you give to him, well, ok. Didn't know that your "argument" meant something else, intellectually speaking of course.

Guest WarEagleSteve
2 minutes ago, cctiger said:

. "Intellectually dishonest", ok.  My sincere apologies Dr. Einstein. I didn't know that Gus was "Elite" when he was hired. Sorry that I misread your post, but with all the credit that you give to him, well, ok. Didn't know that your "argument" meant something else, intellectually speaking of course.

If you misinterpreted what I said that badly, then your reading comprehension is atrocious and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. If you did understand it and then chose to willfully misrepresent it in order to make your point, then you were arguing in bad faith and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. Your sarcasm leads me to believe it was the latter. Once again, do better. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'll take your ticket? Not for the Gus bus but if you have game tickets lol

Out of likes Tiger, thumbs up! sorry but on my way to Atlanta tomorrow! Got some business to tend to for a couple of days then off to the doggie pound. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

If you misinterpreted what I said that badly, then your reading comprehension is atrocious and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. If you did understand it and then chose to willfully misrepresent it in order to make your point, then you were arguing in bad faith and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. Your sarcasm leads me to believe it was the latter. Once again, do better. 

You a lawyer or something? Suggest to Relax.

Archived