Deshaun Davis on Joey Gatewood

gr82be

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I understand the doubt of our qb's not getting coached up.....what I don't understand is just saying this guy can't play at all but at the EXACT same time saying Bo can? Why do you say that?

Umm...maybe how far they are in their progression as a QB when signed?  How much actual QB coaching they have for Gus to never improve.

What you see is what you get at QB under Gus so it makes sense there is more faith in the more polished prospect.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

What you see is what you get at QB under Gus so it makes sense there is more faith in the more polished prospect.

SW painted pictures with his balls and was demoted to another underwhelming QB. NM was an athlete at QB and took us to the Championship. Being polished at QB doesnt mean jack with Gus.

Like I said before though, it used to be said that Gus could work his offense around the strengths of his QBs. If so, sw’s and Stidham’s career would’ve been different. The great thing is  he knows how to work an offense for true DT QBs. 🤗

12 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

he’s not an untalented QB. He won the Under Armour MVP as QB in tbe allstar game. 

Not a knock on Gatewood. I love me some JoeyG. And people saying blah blah blah he didn't start full time in high school have no clue what they are talking about as he split time with another D1 QB. 

However just because someone wins the UA All-star game MVP, doesn't automatically mean someone is a top QB. Sean White was also the UA All-star game MVP as well as Elite 11 MVP. While White had some success at Auburn, I don't think a single person would claim White was ultra successful at Auburn. 

Just pointing out that just because someone wins the UA All-star game MVP, doesn't make them all that and a bag of chips.

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Your snarky post doesn’t even follow from my post. Gatewood played basically every position on his offense minus OL and was like tbe number 2 athlete in the nation. 

He is the most talented QB here since Marshall and has the upside that is well north of any of our current QBs. Facts. 

That would be an opinion.  While I agree with you that JG would have the most potential in Gus' offense, I think you need to pump the brakes a bit with the hype.  I've seen you mention that he got MVP at the UA game, but he was 8-16 with 70 yards, TD and a pick.  If were using that game to predict how players will turn out, SW was 10-12 for 156 and 2 TDs.   Theres a reason we were the only school to offer him at QB and we don't exactly have a great history in evaluating QB talent.. JMO.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Just pointing out that just because someone wins the UA All-star game MVP, doesn't make them all that and a bag of chips.

I’m not saying Gatewood is going to do well. The narrative that Gatewood doesn’t have a lick of QB in him is false though and that’s why I use the All Star game experience. That’s all I’m saying. 

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Umm...maybe how far they are in their progression as a QB when signed?  How much actual QB coaching they have for Gus to never improve.

What clips do you see how awesome Bo is and what clips do you use where jg sucks. 

32 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not a knock on Gatewood. I love me some JoeyG. And people saying blah blah blah he didn't start full time in high school have no clue what they are talking about as he split time with another D1 QB. 

However just because someone wins the UA All-star game MVP, doesn't automatically mean someone is a top QB. Sean White was also the UA All-star game MVP as well as Elite 11 MVP. While White had some success at Auburn, I don't think a single person would claim White was ultra successful at Auburn. 

Hell just saying Bo is awesome because he is awesome damn sure doesn't work either

19 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

That would be an opinion.  While I agree with you that JG would have the most potential in Gus' offense, I think you need to pump the brakes a bit with the hype.  I've seen you mention that he got MVP at the UA game, but he was 8-16 with 70 yards, TD and a pick.  If were using that game to predict how players will turn out, SW was 10-12 for 156 and 2 TDs.   Theres a reason we were the only school to offer him at QB and we don't exactly have a great history in evaluating QB talent.. JMO.

We weren't the only school to offer him at QB 

25 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Theres a reason we were the only school to offer him at QB and we don't exactly have a great history in evaluating QB talent.. JMO.

Don’t this is true. FSU wanted him just as bad at QB. 

Unless youre talking about Willis.

As for his stats, he out dueled Trevor Lawrence. He looked tbe part. What excites me the most is how he legit ran over that All American safety. 

22 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Right.  Hence me wanting a real CFB Head Coach and have grown tired of his High School schemes and antics.

That’s a valid point but a different discussion. 

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What clips do you see how awesome Bo is and what clips do you use where jg sucks. 

This gone be good.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Don’t this is true. FSU wanted him just as bad at QB. 

Unless youre talking about Willis.

As for his stats, he out dueled Trevor Lawrence. He looked tbe part. What excites me the most is how he legit ran over that All American safety. 

Yeah I should have left the offer part out of my post, I can't back that up.  I just thought I remembered that the reason he stuck with us for so long during recruiting was because we were the one that guaranteed him as a QB. 

But yes, that run was nasty if you're talking about the UA game.  Has a nice stiff arm then lowers the boom against the safety going out of bounds. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There's a good possibility that White could have been ultra successful at Auburn had he kept himself on the straight and narrow. By straight and narrow, I don't mean the path to the Skybar. The allstar game, Elite 11 and similar occasions indicate that White had the talent. He self-destructed with substance abuse and that's on him and him alone.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's a good possibility that White could have been ultra successful at Auburn had he kept himself on the straight and narrow. By straight and narrow, I don't mean the path to the Skybar. The allstar game, Elite 11 and similar occasions indicate that White had the talent. He self-destructed with substance abuse and that's on him and him alone.

The substance abuse thing is a little too convenient of an excuse.  It is what got him kicked off the team, but his ego was writing checks his body couldn’t cash.  He never completed a season without being hurt and unable to play. JMO.

37 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Why does this board equate athletic prowess with being a good QB?

Nobody on this board has done so. Most on this thread says hopefully he can live up to his potential. Now you on the other hand for whatever reason, no film study, no game footage, just off the top of your head say he shouldn't even be allowed to try. Then on the other hand with the same lack of knowledge want to crown another QB starter......if you were honest just because of what you heard from other people about high school. 

People on the board are just intelligent and they know not to count out players because things like, growth spurt, mental development, discipline, lifestyle all plays parts in this and we can't know these variables. The smart people on this board also know with the state of the team we really need somebody to step up and you would have to be an absolute idiot to tell an elite athlete no we don't even want you to try at this position that we don't have a set sure fire player at. You should probably include yourself with us as opposed to distant yourself from us because you don't know what the hell you're talking about

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The substance abuse thing is a little too convenient of an excuse.  It is what got him kicked off the team, but his ego was writing checks his body couldn’t cash.  He never completed a season without being hurt and unable to play. JMO.

Are you talking about Kerryon Johnson? Carl Lawson? We could spend days rattling off a list of extraordinary athletes who battled injuries throughout their careers. 

Sean's "ego" was what made him a good football player. And he was indeed a good football player. Mikey is 100% right on this. 

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody on this board has done so. Most on this thread says hopefully he can live up to his potential. Now you on the other hand for whatever reason, no film study, no game footage, just off the top of your head say he shouldn't even be allowed to try. Then on the other hand with the same lack of knowledge want to crown another QB starter......if you were honest just because of what you heard from other people about high school. 

People on the board are just intelligent and they know not to count out players because things like, growth spurt, mental development, discipline, lifestyle all plays parts in this and we can't know these variables. The smart people on this board also know with the state of the team we really need somebody to step up and you would have to be an absolute idiot to tell an elite athlete no we don't even want you to try at this position that we don't have a set sure fire player at. You should probably include yourself with us as opposed to distant yourself from us because you don't know what the hell you're talking about

Lol, so many assumptions and baseless claims. 

Claims of intelligence, being smart, calling others idiots, holy fallacy Batman! 

Please, oh please, tell me more oh wise, smart defender of knowledge and truth. 

We aren't worthy of your presence! 

6 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Lol, so many assumptions and baseless claims. 

Claims of intelligence, being smart, calling others idiots, holy fallacy Batman! 

Please, oh please, tell me more oh wise, smart defender of knowledge and truth. 

We aren't worthy of your presence! 

Yes I stand on the fact that there are many intelligent people here. The fact that you don't have anything to say as a rebuttal and you just tried to do the victim as a group trick to the people I just called intelligent mind you speaks for itself. But which one is it first it was the board and you, now it's the board and we......lol pick a side

3 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Why does this board equate athletic prowess with being a good QB?

They've all got StockhAUlm Syndrome.  Gus has demoralized them and they've lowered their expectations. 

Either that or they don't process information as well as others.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s a valid point but a different discussion. 

Not really.  The complete lack of development will eventually ruin his career under Gus.  A real coach could turn him into an NFL TE.

2 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Not really.  The complete lack of development will eventually ruin his career under Gus.  A real coach could turn him into an NFL TE.

If that's the case Bo sucks to and should move to full back or asst coach

Archived