Favorite Cities

deepseas

Keeping with the favorite's theme.......

I've been to most cites in the South, just interested to know what everyone's favorite is, and why.

Hands down mine is Mobile. I think it is one of the few cities left that has no blue laws, the bars can stay open until whenever. It's one hour away from the beach. The downtown area is not overun with riff-raff.

And because someone will throw in their least favorite, the worst city I've been too/lived in is Jackson, MS.

I haven't been to that many cities in the South, but Hunstville isn't a bad place, needs more bars though for the younger crowd that is moving into the area. Nashville and Chattanooga are nice, Birmingham is the worst one so far.

Guest Tigrinum Major

If we are talking major cities:

Charleston, SC - New Orleans without the trash. Great food, great history, near the coast. I have never been to Savannah, but I assume that it is very similiar.

New Orleans - Something for everyone. Good zoo and aquarium, the French Quarter and unparalleled food and drink. Can't take it for more than about three days or I get burned out.

Chattanooga - Great downtown area that has had a lot of money pumped into it the past few years.

If we are talking smaller cities:

Auburn - Nuff said.

Boone, NC - Great mountain getaway.

Orange Beach - Heaven on the Alabama coast.

Birmingham is by far my favorite city. But I live here and get to experience the good...and know how to avoid the bad.

Second fav is Memphis.

Nashville is okay. Chat is overrated. Jackson MS is a joke IMO.

I lived in Mobile for 6 months, and did not like it.

Atlanta sucks, but Savannah is nice.

I've always liked Jacksonville, FL, also. It's not like south Florida, you can buy grits and sweet tea there!!! Plus, if you move there, you don't have to pay state income tax, it's like a bonus for moving!

155169[/snapback]

Finally, someone that relaizes we're not Gulf Shores. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

155169[/snapback]

Finally, someone that relaizes we're not Gulf Shores. :big:

155248[/snapback]

In my mind, they are two completely different places. Orange Beach is more laid back, less touristy. No comparison.

Best- Nashville-Atlanta(suburbs)

Worst-bamaham "smoke city"

Best- Nashville-Atlanta(suburbs)

Worst-bamaham "smoke city"

155357[/snapback]

Having just moved from Atlanta to Birmingham, I can say that I'm surprised that you could like Atlanta and dislike Birmingham. I could understand how you might dislike them both – but “Smoke City” is actually cleaner than Atlanta.

I personally like both cities –Atlanta for visiting, and Birmingham for living (I actually live in Trussville). Atlanta has a lot to do, but the Birmingham metro area is more family friendly. Also, my drive time from the suburbs is much better (25 minutes verses 1:15 each way).

I'm with you concerning Nashville - its a fun city. I also have to agree with Jarhead on Jacksonville. Good sized city, and very clean for a city its size.

WarTim has always had this thing against Birmingham. I think it mostly has to do with his perception that it is a U of Alabama "homer" city.

Say what you want about bham...but if you've ever gone to the Bruno's Memorial Classic...you know partly why some of us think so highly of it.

New Orleans - Born and raised...god I love it.

St. Simon's - Found it in college and LOVE IT

Hilton Head - Wow....beautiful

Nashville - Been there several times and chances are I will live there.

Where is the love for Hazel Green, Alabama? Just kidding, I would be surprised if anyone has ever been there.

WarTim has always had this thing against Birmingham. I think it mostly has to do with his perception that it is a U of Alabama "homer" city.

Say what you want about bham...but if you've ever gone to the Bruno's Memorial Classic...you know partly why some of us think so highly of it.

155400[/snapback]

I have been to the BMC many times. That does nothing to change the fact that bamaham is the armpit of the state.

p.s. In the future, please refrain from attempting to say why I think what I think.

I have already stated what I think. You may feel free to do the same. B)

Well since you dont ever provide reasoning...and throw out those odd ball comments (like saying Bham is the armpit of the state)...it sure does make us wonder what you're smoking.

Just because you say something is true...doesnt make it so.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Where is the love for Hazel Green, Alabama? Just kidding, I would be surprised if anyone has ever been there.

155570[/snapback]

I have been to Hazel Green. In fact, I was in the big town of New Market yesterday. Now there is a place that time forgot.

Well since you dont ever provide reasoning...and throw out those odd ball comments (like saying Bham is the armpit of the state)...it sure does make us wonder what you're smoking.

155608[/snapback]

This is really sad. What part of MY opinion do you not get?

I will state it again, bamaham is the armpit of the state. If you wanted to give the state an enema, you would insert it somewhere around downtown bamaham. :D

Guest Tigrinum Major

155608[/snapback]

This is really sad. What part of MY opinion do you not get?

I will state it again, bamaham is the armpit of the state. If you wanted to give the state an enema, you would insert it somewhere around downtown bamaham. :D

155685[/snapback]

Then it wouldn't really be the armpit, Tim. It would be the, ohhhhhhhhhhhh!

I work in Homewood and live in Oneonta, but I agree about downtown, it is dead, with a few exceptions like the McWane Center. Southside is just getting more and more dangerous.

There was a time, long ago, when bamaham was a fairly nice - progressive city, Those days are long gone.(bamaham is Indian for "armpit")

Archived