12 game season close to approval

SLAG-91

Division I Management Council approves...on to the Board of Directors now

Since it is the offseason, let's assume this passes.

Who would you like to see on the schedule in 2006?

Me, I'd like to resume the rivalry full-time with Georgia Tech.

This probably hurts the possibility of a playoff even more. I don't see a 12 game regular season and a championship game AND a 4 game play off happening in this lifetime.

I think the GT game would be good or even FSU.

I thought of Florida State, too...that one was just getting heated up when it ended after the '90 season.

I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question to add another conference game, especially for leagues like the SEC, Big XII and ACC that don't play a full round-robin, but I don't think that's the intent.

The question I have is...will possible dates you can play on be expanded?

Last time this was brought up, the number of available saturdays was not going to increase. CTT fought this and wanted another available saturday so we could play a better team, and it would make teams more flexible in who we could schedule.

If it is going to increase the number of saturdays, I would like to see a decent team from a regional BCS conference (Tech, Virginia, NCST).

But if they do not increase the available dates, like they weren't goign to last time, I don't even think we need another game. It will end up being against a smaller school from the WAC, or MAAC.

You see we would have to play this game the week before our UGA, Alabama finish.

Personally I don't like the thought of playing FSU, UGA, Alabama...or even Clemson, UGA, Alabama for that matter.

Not to mention, even if we wanted to play 3 tough games in a row...we'd have to find somebody from a big conference who has the same by week as us, which would be pretty difficult.

If we don't get the extra week, I dont want the extra game.

I wouldn't mind seeing GA Tech again. I also wouldn't mind playing UT every year either. That has gotten to be a huge game every time we've played them the past few seasons (granted, it isn't much of a rivalry since we always win!) but that would be cool as well.

If Tech does not have success with 8+ wins in the next year or two, I doubt they would schedule Auburn yearly thus giving them another loss per year.

Ga Tech would probably be a good choice for a permanent opponent--1) renew an old-time rivalry and 2) also play an out-of-conference opponent consistently decent enough to earn respect on our strength-of-schedule. but not superpower like Southern Cal or Oklahoma that could make or break us year in and year out. I would imagine the extra game would be rotated among opponents rather than be one permanent rivel.

My question, however, is: How come we can't have a true 1- or 2-round post-bowl playoff system because it demands too much stress and time from a FEW student-athletes, but it's okay to add a twelfth game to EVERY student-athletes' burden?

In fact, I think having a bye week during the regular season is much more beneficial to the players, in terms of both injuries and catching up on studies, than having time off in January after the bowls and the semester are over!

Guest Tigrinum Major

I would like to see a rotating schedule with some regional and national opponents in the second to third game timeframe.

Gimme a OU, Nebraska, Washington, USC, Arizona, Texas, A&M rotated with a Clemson, FSU, Miami, Virginia. The only thing the creampuffs are good for is a cheap ticket to take my kids to a game every year. And they are getting older and will soon start demanding something besides a Citadel.

I hate the fact that we play three creampuffs each and every year. I know the economics of the ticket sales say that we need these seven home games a year, but c'mon.

As far as the three tough games in a row argument, if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best. And just like conference teams, traditional powers will go up and down, so schedule them! This year's co-national champs are next year's creampuffs!

My dream schedule:

Clemson

at Miss State

Nebraska

at LSU

Ole Miss

Florida

at UT

Arkansas

at Georgia Tech

LA Tech (for homecoming fodder)

Georgia

at Alabama (cause we own their butts in T'Town)

Reverse the sites with the exception of homecoming. Still have seven home games every other year and LA Tech and Nebraska fill the creampuff role.

Good luck getting Nebraska's, Tech's, and Clemson's open dates to match up with our open dates in the SEC schedule.

Thats why we need the extra week...it is incredibly hard to find an opponent with the same open date as you that is willing to play you. Unless they are from a smaller conference where they have fewer permanent conference games to worry about.

The logistics of fitting a big-time opponent in there is difficult.

I did some looking around. Tech always has an ACC game on that date, so they wouldn't work. So does FSU.

The only big school I found with the same open date is Michigan. That would be an interesting game, but also a killer 3 game stretch to end the season.

The Big Ten and the Big XII have a different philosophy regarding when non-conference games are played...with rare exception, schools from those conferences play their non-conference slate up front, then play 8 straight league games.

The SEC teams seem to spread their conference games out a little more and mix in non-conference games in October and even November (besides the rivalry games between non-conference foes...UGA/GT, FSU/UF, USC/Clemson). Tennessee plays two non-conference games in November.

Soooo...if you want a Nebraska or Michigan, they would almost have to be September games.

Big Dream here....

Why cant they set up the first two weeks with a Big 12 vs. SEC Showdown. #1 Big 12 home against #2 SEC, #1 SEC at home Home vs. #2 Big 12, and so on and so on for until Baylor Matches up against Vandy.

The top teams would get a good test early, and the mid level teams would also. Heck, I think Dr Pepper would sponsor the whole darn thing.

Who knows....Big 12 vs. ACC, and the Pac-10 can play with themselves (or against the big east).

Hey, whose to say a guy cant dream......

Archived