Football Complex Closer (merged threads)

toddc

May need to be merged!

Auburn will soon seek approval for football-only complex

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 60 minutes ago 

Share2 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — The ball is rolling on a football-only complex at Auburn.

Auburn athletics' department will seek formal initiation of the project at the university's quarterly meeting of the board of trustees Sept. 13, according to documents obtained by Auburn Undercover. A price tag for the facility will not be announced at the meeting, a source tells Auburn Undercover, and the design phase is not yet underway. 

Should the facilities committee and the board of trustees approve initiation of the project, the athletics department will move forward to the design phase. Auburn is referring to the project as the "football performance center."

The long-discussed project reached a turning point behind the scenes in May,sources told Auburn Undercover at the time. Fundraising had or was expected to soon hit the halfway mark of a tentatively-set estimate of a $60 million price tag for the facility.

Dan King, associated vice president of facilities at Auburn University, and athletics director Allen Greene will present plans for a football performance center and seek approval from the property and facilities committee to initiate the first steps of the project. The committee meets Sept. 13 at 8:30 a.m.

The board of trusteees will meet at 10 a.m. and will have final approval.

“We’re really, really close and we’re in a really good spot with what we’ve been asked to do from a fundraising perspective,” Greene said in May. “The board, I think, is really interested and engaged with this project, and they want to have a better understanding of scale and scope of other folks in the [SEC] and to help us better understand and better plan as we move forward with our plans for our project.”

Greene has made it a priority to raise funds and pitch the football-only facility to boosters and alumni since he replaced Jay Jacobs as Auburn’s athletics director in February 2018. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn pledged $2 million toward the facility in September 2018, and several notable alumni have also promised sizable donations, Auburn Undercover has learned.

Greene told Auburn Undercover in February he expected the timeline for the facility — from the design phase to its grand opening — to be completed in three years or less should the board approve all of the necessary steps along the way. Should that happen, Auburn will begin the largest construction project for the athletics department since Auburn Arena opened its doors in 2010. The basketball arena cost $86 million.

The design phase for the football facility should encompass one year, and construction will require an additional year. Administrators in the athletics department grew increasingly confident in March and April as fundraising efforts ramped up under Greene, sources told Auburn Undercover at the time (March 27 and April 24).

“We’re still tracking on a pretty aggressive timeline,” Greene said in May. “And we expect to continue to track on that aggressive timeline.”

It’s not clear if a location for the facility has been finalized, but the most likely spot appears to be near the corner of Biggio Drive and Samford Avenue, where the old outdoor track is located on campus. The piece of land is in the heart of the athletics hub of the university. Only Biggio Drive separates the old track from the football practice facilities attached to the Auburn Athletics Complex.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, toddc said:

A price tag for the facility will not be announced at the meeting, a source tells Auburn Undercover, and the design phase is not yet underway. 

Are you flippin' kidding me??? How in the hell are we not at least settling on a budget and having designs rendered? You can figure that out before approval. Dear God this is so agitating. 

16 hours ago, logan adams said:

Heard this narrative before.

Right? This couldn't move any slower.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Are you flippin' kidding me??? How in the hell are we not at least settling on a budget and having designs rendered? You can figure that out before approval. Dear God this is so agitating. 

This is just how the Auburn PTB & Administration operate, they slow as molasses in January. 

I think the article is incorrect.  How has Greene been fundraising for so long if he hasn't been working from a budgeted expense amount?   From what WDEWDE posted some months ago on here, over 75% of the total cost of the project has already been raised.  Yet Greene mentioned back in January that fundraising efforts were tough because of that crappy '18 season.  

It was rumored that the hold up for some of the PTB was they want to see how the team rebounds this year.  It can't be easy to sign off on a huge project like this while your HC keeps his tail on the hot seat and he has a +$26MM buyout on the table. But it shouldn't matter who the coach is, if AU needs it to attempt to even try to catch up with our main rivals, then just DO IT!

14 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I've always thought a premier spot would be where BEMC still sits ... 

I think the spot the FOF is going will be the old track on the hill, but it's really time to do something with BEMC. That thing has sat almost vacant for a decade in the middle of campus looking like something out of the 1980s Soviet Union. Texas A&M has Comrade Blocker, we have Comrade Cheese Wheel. I can't imagine the long term plan is to have it remain there. It's past time to either put in something better or turn it into parking. 

Back to topic ... from a design/requirements perspective, who would you call the benchmark?

Recent examples:

Clemson - $55M

image.png

Northwestern - $270M

image.png

Oregon - $68M

P40358_00_HatfieldDowlin_N14_printlarge.

Florida State - $60M

Outside.jpeg

Michigan - $168M

Image result for michigan performance center

Oklahoma - $160M

Image result for oklahoma football facility

South Carolina - $50M

Image result for south carolina football facility

Texas A&M - $20M (Renovation)

Image result for texas a&m bright football complex

I'm partial to this one.

Note: Half of it's even for sale.  I'll bet the PTB at AU could swing a budget to purchase both halves.

sduaajszxlkll8twpaxi.jpg

16 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I've always thought a premier spot would be where BEMC still sits ... 

I have a dream that there will be a mega parking garage built where Beard Eaves is. It would help on Gameday and it would help students. Student parking is awful on campus these days.

59 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm partial to this one.

Note: Half of it's even for sale.  I'll bet the PTB at AU could swing a budget to purchase both halves.

sduaajszxlkll8twpaxi.jpg

Pretty sure that Dorian wiped this building out!

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a dream that there will be a mega parking garage built where Beard Eaves is. It would help on Gameday and it would help students. Student parking is awful on campus these days.

I think they are trying to make campus a pedestrian campus only.  They've been shrinking student parking for years, and the parking decals for very limited spaces run $350/yr. 

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Back to topic ... from a design/requirements perspective, who would you call the benchmark?

Recent examples:

Clemson - $55M

image.png

Northwestern - $270M

image.png

Oregon - $68M

P40358_00_HatfieldDowlin_N14_printlarge.

Florida State - $60M

Outside.jpeg

Michigan - $168M

Image result for michigan performance center

Oklahoma - $160M

Image result for oklahoma football facility

South Carolina - $50M

Image result for south carolina football facility

Texas A&M - $20M (Renovation)

Image result for texas a&m bright football complex

I like OU. It is hard to believe that is the best Northwestern could do with that budget. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm partial to this one.

sduaajszxlkll8twpaxi.jpg

I mean, it’s got potential!

LOFL!

I like Clemson's visual. I really hope we don't make it look like every other building on campus. Brick and concrete only..NO.

Lot's of glass and lots of lighting and lots of visuals seen from the outside. I think it needs to be functional but eye appealing.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I like Clemson's visual. I really hope we don't make it look like every other building on campus. Brick and concrete only..NO.

Lot's of glass and lots of lighting and lots of visuals seen from the outside. I think it needs to be functional but eye appealing.

Nothing says football, well, like a football. 

Screenshot_20190905-172425~2.png

The price tag on some of those buildings is unbelievable. Better hope for something comparable to the ones with a similar budget. Seems Clemson’s was all the rage for a few years.

I vote for a front like Clemsons, but 3 stories tall and butt that thing up next to the stadium or where the old coliseum sits.  OU's looks pretty impressive.

We are years behind and need to build for the future.  Let's make a splash push those recruiting classes into the top 5.  

PLEASE

Someone should have told Oregon that the 60's look is not 'back in'.  Reminds me of Parker Hall.

BEMC is still being used for class space so it may be awhile before it’s gone. 

Archived