Marshall: Paying players

toddc

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am all for this,   and then athletes can pay the Tuition and fees just like every other citizen in this country.  Compete for the same scholarships and loans.  Using the same grading / test score and economic factors as  criteria for these schollies and loans..

Or they can just stay with the 1/4 of a million dollars  given to them over 4 years for tuition while the scholars take on huge student loans.

That's another option.Good discussion. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either Congress carves out exceptions for college football like it did 100 years ago for baseball (exemptions from antitrust etc etc) or capitalism, due process, equal protection etc etc will prevail here. 

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I see this from a unique perspective.

How does 1/4 million dollars over 4 years sound?    

My only issue with all of this is the cost for non athletes to go to school.  $230,000+  is the cost to go to Auburn out of state for 4 years.   My kid was a 4.6 GPA HS student .  Did well enough to be considered at Harvard and get into Vandy with better schollys).   Received the second highest Scholarship Auburn offers,  and some other scholarship offers from AU,  and that barely covers HALF the cost to go to Auburn.. 

So an athlete gets free tuition,  and has to work a ton of hours.  Doesn't have any money,  can't work because of athletics.   Can graduate mostly debt free.   Most every other student HAS TO get a job,  works a ton of hours,  and has no money because it all goes toward the rest of tuition etc.   They graduate with debts.   YES,   there are a lot of rich families that can afford to send their kids to Auburn(college in general) .  The %  is high,  because the average family with kids that have  higher grades and test scores do not go to Auburn,  they can not afford it because the academic scholly programs esp at  at Auburn SUCK!

All this "extra money"  that would go to the athletes should go to the academically strong students that can not afford tuition and taking on debt.   How this would work across the nation is beyond me,  but something has to be done about the cost of tuition in general. 

Athletes (FB) get free tuition, healthy food, top notch health care, a nation spotlight to showcase their skills.  And now they may get spending money. 

Academic students get some of their tuition payed and  huge  costs and debts. 

So is the university about education or athletics?

If we get better scholarships for everyone,  then I think the next step would be paying players.   

College athletes also take out loans to help pay their expenses. The health care they receive is because they put their bodies on the line for a chance to go to school and have a better future. Other scholarship students don't take the physical risks that athletes are required to take. Schools have student clinics available for health care as well. 

I agree about tuition costs. 

Just allow athletes to sell autographs and signed sports memorabilia. All athletes.....all sports.....male and female  There is a way to do it that won't really change football or any other sport.

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

College athletes also take out loans to help pay their expenses. The health care they receive is because they put their bodies on the line for a chance to go to school and have a better future. Other scholarship students don't take the physical risks that athletes are required to take. Schools have student clinics available for health care as well. 

Just allow athletes to sell autographs and signed sports memorabilia. All athletes.....all sports.....male and female  There is a way to do it that won't really change football or any other sport.

I just want to confirm with you being okay with this, you are okay with more prominent schools reaching in their bag to promote this, correct? So now, if Bama can get big time boosters to say we will assure you you will get this much money for signed stuff if you come here, you will be okay with that? Or if USC says, we have all these sports where you can really make money off your signature, you will be okay with that?

26 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No one is a bigger proponent of capitalism than myself, but it doesn't apply here. College athletics is amateur for a reason.

Except that is an illusion. Players are the only ones not getting rich of of their hard work. And at schools like bammer they pay the players but pretend they don't. 

Just stop all hypocrisy, racism, and fake amateur status that people refuse to acknowledge and let the students in on the financial bounty that everyone else enjoys.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just want to confirm with you being okay with this, you are okay with more prominent schools reaching in their bag to promote this, correct? So now, if Bama can get big time boosters to say we will assure you you will get this much money for signed stuff if you come here, you will be okay with that? Or if USC says, we have all these sports where you can really make money off your signature, you will be okay with that?

It's ridiculous. People are just not thinking this through at all.

I don't watch NBA or the NFL  because money has ruined the game and every game doesn't matter. They have all ready ruined going to the games because  tickets, rooms, and food cost a outrageous amount. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Except that is an illusion. Players are the only ones not getting rich of of their hard work. And at schools like bammer they pay the players but pretend they don't. 

Just stop all hypocrisy, racism, and fake amateur status that people refuse to acknowledge and let the students in on the financial bounty that everyone else enjoys.

Just so I'm clear on your position, you're ok with the more popular star players on respective teams making boat loads of money while the backup right tackle makes essentially nothing? Or another scenario, how about the hot equestrian female making money off of making herself available for a calendar photo shoot, while her teammate, homely Helen can't do the same?  Do you see where I'm going with this?

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I mean it’s everyone opinion. I just want to make sure people are absolutely okay with that but at least understand what you are asking . Some of our fan base already gets mad or accuse others for cheating , unfounded as it may be.

4 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

I don't watch NBA or the NFL  because money has ruined the game and every game doesn't matter. They have all ready ruined going to the games because  tickets, rooms, and food cost a outrageous amount. 

And it would ruin college sports as well. The scenarios that Marshall laid out are not grand illusions. Most of what he laid out would certainly happen. Coaches would wind up having to have an attorney to negotiate with players agents before he could even take a player to media days.

51 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No it's not. It isn't that hard or that complicated.....but people like drama and they hate change/progress if the situation doesn't directly involve them. They want to make it some big deal. 

An art student on scholarship can sell their art at any price they wish, to anyone that has the desire to buy their art and they don't face sanctions. A theater arts student on scholarship can make commercials for money as much as they want. 

Athletes are the only ones who can't make any money from their talent, and that isn't right.

No it's not. It isn't that hard or that complicated.....but people like drama and they hate change/progress if the situation doesn't directly involve them. Thathletesey want to make it some big deal. 

An art student on scholarship can sell their art at any price they wish, to anyone that has the desire to buy their art and they don't face sanctions. A theater arts student on scholarship can make commercials for money as much as they want. 

Athletes are the only ones who can't make any money from their talent, and that isn't right.

Well shucks, I'm signing with USC. The coach there knows a guy that can get me into commercials. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well shucks, I'm signing with USC. The coach there knows a guy that can get me into commercials. 

I am thinking someone like Arkansas would love this. Like, If you are K.J. Hill, why go to Columbus and compete with everyone else for exposure. You stay here in Arkansas, we put you in the loop of businesses to make money from you memorabilia. You stay closer to family, you can make good money annually, and you are the man here on the hill. There are several ways for both parties to capitalize. Again, I am not saying I am against it, just understand what you are asking for.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

i may be wrong, but I don't think we give full rides for musicians anymore.  They are still responsible for the majority of their tuition, food etc..

Different schools offer different scholarships.

22 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Just so I'm clear on your position, you're ok with the more popular star players on respective teams making boat loads of money while the backup right tackle makes essentially nothing? Or another scenario, how about the hot equestrian female making money off of making herself available for a calendar photo shoot, while her teammate, homely Helen can't do the same?  Do you see where I'm going with this?

Do you live in the real world?  Do you think that kind of favoritism doesn't exist already.....for various reasons?  

So your solution is to hold back everybody because some may not make as much money? 

I say let the athletes make money from their talents just like everyone else. Some may be more successful than others but that's life in general. 

15 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

You know they make commercials everywhere don't you? 

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

No one is a bigger proponent of capitalism than myself, but it doesn't apply here. College athletics is amateur for a reason.

Hate to break this to you.  Major D1 athletics haven't been amateur for a long time.  At least this way we can be honest about it.

5 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Maybe I am dumb, but Base it off of household income. A lot  of kids have nothing before college and need help, but that help doesn’t need to be 25 year student loans . There has to be a way. 

Household income - like what their parents make?  I hope you’re kidding. Paying or not paying a kid based on what their parents make is silly.

4 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Pay them their worth or let the NFL draft from highschool. For the major recruits and most other nfl hopefuls the degree you get is useless. Look at the horse crap that is the business admin major that a very large number of Auburn players are in. The majority of these kids wouldn't even make it into Auburn if it wasn't for sports ability so let's stop pretending that a useless degree with no marketable skills obtained is enough "pay"  

The “horse rap” business degree from Auburn works pretty well for most people.  Any kid that gets a chance to get a degree for free by squanders it because he thinks he’ll be part of the 1% that makes to to the league deserves what they (don’t) get.  The stats are clear and no one can be blamed for blown opportunities but the individuals themselves.  

41 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I played rugby at Auburn, I would think there’s a pretty good chance of injury. I was also in ROTC, and although not as dangerous as football or rugby there was risk there as well. Neither of those provided any sort of medical care.  I’m not saying they shouldn’t get the healthcare as part of the scholarship (they should) but they are not being taken advantage of.  

21 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

And it would ruin college sports as well. The scenarios that Marshall laid out are not grand illusions. Most of what he laid out would certainly happen. Coaches would wind up having to have an attorney to negotiate with players agents before he could even take a player to media days.

Seriously? You act like big money is not involved in college sports already. It's already corrupted college sports BECAUSE it has to be done under the table. You have unsophisticated, young and impoverished kids paired with big money boosters and rogue agents like what exists right now, and there is a big risk for the athlete and for the program. Chris Porter....Chuck Person.....any of that ring a bell?

Let the kids openly earn money and stop all this farce and pretension about amateur sports that does not exist. 

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am all for this,   and then athletes can pay the Tuition and fees just like every other citizen in this country.  Compete for the same scholarships and loans.  Using the same grading / test score and economic factors as  criteria for these schollies and loans..

Or they can just stay with the 1/4 of a million dollars  given to them over 4 years for tuition while the scholars take on huge student loans.

Sure, let a school do that and see how quickly they lose recruits.  End of the day, if you let kids make money off of their own likeness just like every other kid on campus can, then the schools don't have to pony up a single cent more than they already do.   But they still deserve at least a scholarship from the schools in this proposal.  No one is paying $140 to watch the chess team.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Do you live in the real world?  Do you think that kind of favoritism doesn't exist already.....for various reasons?  

So your solution is to hold back everybody because some may not make as much money? 

I say let the athletes make money from their talents just like everyone else. Some may be more successful than others but that's life in general. 

I very much live in the real world madam. I generally have no problem with free enterprise. I'm just saying be careful what you wish for. You're advocating this position from what perceives to be an assumption that the athlete is not being treated fairly, or the notion that they are having financial difficulties while they participate in collegiate athletics. What I'm trying to point out is the scenario you have laid out fails to relieve any financial hardship from the bulk of the athletes. Yes the star tailback, or point guard could most likely make money off of their image, or likeness, but what about the long snapper, or the women's volleyball player? 

2 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Household income - like what their parents make?  I hope you’re kidding. Paying or not paying a kid based on what their parents make is silly.

The “horse rap” business degree from Auburn works pretty well for most people.  Any kid that gets a chance to get a degree for free by squanders it because he thinks he’ll be part of the 1% that makes to to the league deserves what they (don’t) get.  The stats are clear and no one can be blamed for blown opportunities but the individuals themselves.  

I played rugby at Auburn, I would think there’s a pretty good chance of injury. I was also in ROTC, and although not as dangerous as football or rugby there was risk there as well. Neither of those provided any sort of medical care.  I’m not saying they shouldn’t get the healthcare as part of the scholarship (they should) but they are not being taken advantage of.  

You were allowed to work. And rugby is not raking in billions in the U.S. Neither is ROTC. Not comparable. 

6 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I see this from a unique perspective.

How does 1/4 million dollars over 4 years sound?    

My only issue with all of this is the cost for non athletes to go to school.  $230,000+  is the cost to go to Auburn out of state for 4 years.   My kid was a 4.6 GPA HS student .  Did well enough to be considered at Harvard and get into Vandy with better schollys).   Received the second highest Scholarship Auburn offers,  and some other scholarship offers from AU,  and that barely covers HALF the cost to go to Auburn.. 

So an athlete gets free tuition,  and has to work a ton of hours.  Doesn't have any money,  can't work because of athletics.   Can graduate mostly debt free.   Most every other student HAS TO get a job,  works a ton of hours,  and has no money because it all goes toward the rest of tuition etc.   They graduate with debts.   YES,   there are a lot of rich families that can afford to send their kids to Auburn(college in general) .  The %  is high,  because the average family with kids that have  higher grades and test scores do not go to Auburn,  they can not afford it because the academic scholly programs esp at  at Auburn SUCK!

All this "extra money"  that would go to the athletes should go to the academically strong students that can not afford tuition and taking on debt.   How this would work across the nation is beyond me,  but something has to be done about the cost of tuition in general. 

Athletes (FB) get free tuition, healthy food, top notch health care, a nation spotlight to showcase their skills.  And now they may get spending money. 

Academic students get some of their tuition payed and  huge  costs and debts. 

So is the university about education or athletics?

If we get better scholarships for everyone,  then I think the next step would be paying players.   

And 5 million in tuition fee's is pulled from the academic side to help the athletic department already. That is over half of the reserve profit that was made from athletics in 2018 after operation costs (yes even after tv money). The Wellness kitchen that athletes get to eat free at cost a regular student 10 at day and 20 at night. That was built by forcing all students (on and off) to incur a mandatory meal plan cost and any money not used, instead of rolling over, went into the building of the kitchen.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I very much live in the real world madam. I generally have no problem with free enterprise. I'm just saying be careful what you wish for. You're advocating this position from what perceives to be an assumption that the athlete is not being treated fairly, or the notion that they are having financial difficulties while they participate in collegiate athletics. What I'm trying to point out is the scenario you have laid out fails to relieve any financial hardship from the bulk of the athletes. Yes the star tailback, or point guard could most likely make money off of their image, or likeness, but what about the long snapper, or the women's volleyball player? 

That's just ridiculous. You're saying no kid should be allowed to make money because all the kids wouldn't make the same amount. 

Good Grief. 

That's just ridiculous. You're saying no kid should be allowed to make money because all the kids wouldn't make the same amount. 

Good Grief. 

It's not necessarily what I'm saying, but it will certainly be what they, and their attorneys will say. My God, just research title IX for a little perspective. I'm done with this silly discussion. 

Archived