Brown mulling Outback Bowl decision

aubiefifty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Well.....

Brown plays the bowl game, has a major injury, costs him millions (potentially any NFL) career.

Gus loses 4-5 games, gets fired, STILL walks away with an additional $20M PLUS the $5-7M per year he gets whether he gets 10 wins....or 2 wins.

One of these situations is decidedly not like the other....

Well.....that's because 'college head coach' is a professional position and 'college football' is an amateur sport.  Always been like that.  But you know that...😎

I’m trying to think back and think if there’s anybody that played a bowl game in recent memory and it ruined their chance at an NFL career. People talk about the Jaylon Smith thing, but he not only worked himself back but also made a ton of money in the process, sure he lost out on guaranteed at the time, but I’m trying to think back to recent memory when a bowl game drastically made a difference on someone future in terms of not having an nfl career.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m trying to think back and think if there’s anybody that played a bowl game in recent memory and it ruined their chance at an NFL career. People talk about the Jaylon Smith thing, but he not only worked himself back but also made a ton of money in the process, sure he lost out on guaranteed at the time, but I’m trying to think back to recent memory when a bowl game drastically made a difference on someone future in terms of not having an nfl career.

I get that. I think my thing with DB is just that he has nothing to prove or owes anybody anything. It’s awesome for him to want to play because he really is just that type of guy, still worries me because I want to have the best possible opportunity to succeed. Don’t want him to risk anything for he or his son. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

I get that. I think my thing with DB is just that he has nothing to prove or owes anybody anything. It’s awesome for him to want to play because he really is just that type of guy, still worries me because I want to have the best possible opportunity to succeed. Don’t want him to risk anything for he or his son. 

I can agree with that forsure. The competitor in me, always goes back to its a team sport. This is a team game, and a team season, you don’t get anywhere without the people beside you through the tough times, and you give it all for them, which is why I’ve always been critical of guys sitting out and why I’m not a fan of any professional sports. I get it, but just me I’ll take these guys that ride or die with their brothers over guys like the clowney’s etc any day of the week

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I'm not disagreeing with you when I say this because I wouldn't have blamed him in the least for not playing. But maybe he did feel the need to prove something to others. Commitment to something other than yourself. A lot of people don't really commit to things, they align with them until something better comes along and then off they go. Maybe DB just wanted to be able to tell his son that he should stick to a commitment when he makes it and it would be more than lip service. I admire him for his decision. It's got nothing to do with him playing either. For me it's simply that he is committed to seeing it all the way through. His child has a father he can look up to in more ways than one. I know about those things because my dad was a man of his word too. It's important for a child to have this. I am just speculating of course but I'm thinking DB is doing this because he doesn't know how to "quit". 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm not disagreeing with you when I say this because I wouldn't have blamed him in the least for not playing. But maybe he did feel the need to prove something to others. Commitment to something other than yourself. A lot of people don't really commit to things, they align with them until something better comes along and then off they go. Maybe DB just wanted to be able to tell his son that he should stick to a commitment when he makes it and it would be more than lip service. I admire him for his decision. It's got nothing to do with him playing either. For me it's simply that he is committed to seeing it all the way through. His child has a father he can look up to in more ways than one. I know about those things because my dad was a man of his word too. It's important for a child to have this. I am just speculating of course but I'm thinking DB is doing this because he doesn't know how to "quit". 

Amen, and amen! Well said brother.

As someone that’s still in my 20s, not by much, will be 30 next year. I can tell you, if I was in DB’s position, and told my dad I would sit out the bowl game. He would tell me I could make my own decision, after popping me in the back of the head. Lol

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Well said. My nothing to prove comment should’ve been revised to “nothing to prove on the field”. Nonetheless, great post. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well said. My nothing to prove comment should’ve been revised to “nothing to prove on the field”. Nonetheless, great post. 

I knew what you meant. Like I said, no disagreement with anything you said. Much respect for DB but also for our coaching staff who get quality young men like this. I love how our players represent Auburn. For all of the things I may gripe about with Gus I have no doubt he is a good judge of character and a good example for them, especially if they didn't have than at home. 

20 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Amen, and amen! Well said brother.

As someone that’s still in my 20s, not by much, will be 30 next year. I can tell you, if I was in DB’s position, and told my dad I would sit out the bowl game. He would tell me I could make my own decision, after popping me in the back of the head. Lol

Lol, and I knew when I disappointed my dad with a decision. He'd let me fall flat on my face sometimes but it was a good lesson. He didn't tell me he was disappointed, I just knew it and it would bother me more than any words he could have said. I feel bad for any child without a dad. Moms are truly special but they aren't a daddy. 

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Do you and Mikey have this in your drafts at all moments? 

It would be easier on me if I did, even though I only respond to less than one-tenth of one percent of the bashers posts. It's impossible to open a thread in any forum here without having to read yet another tiresome, whining, crybaby post about Gus. Basketball forum? Baseball? Same ol' tired complaints from the same ol' people. If someone or some group responded to every one of them this site would have to acquire more bandwidth.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's the thing.  As great as DB is, if you absolutely need him to beat an out-manned Minnesota team, then there are bigger issues.  Perspective here folks.  This Minnesota team has about the same talent level as Georgia Tech.  There may be 1-2 guys out of their top 22 who could potentially start for us.

You are selling Minnesota way short. They beat Penn State and finished with a 10-2 record, things Ga. Tech couldn't sniff. Have you forgotten UCF so soon? AU fans were going around saying UCF didn't have two guys that would start for Auburn, look how wrong that turned out to be.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You are selling Minnesota way short. They beat Penn State and finished with a 10-2 record, things Ga. Tech couldn't sniff. Have you forgotten UCF so soon? AU fans were going around saying UCF didn't have two guys that would start for Auburn, look how wrong that turned out to be.

You all made these same arguments last year about how dangerous Purdue was all because they beat Ohio State.  Have you forgotten that so soon?

News flash:  Minnesota hasn't been recruiting that much better than that same Purdue team over the last five years.

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We don’t have 10 wins because Gus wasn’t good at his job...we don’t have a few more losses because Brown is 

Disagree. Gus was good in his job in regards to Brown. Provided the man with proper strength and conditioning coaches and facilities that improved him physically. Then provided him with coaches that taught him techniques, schemes, etc that put him where he is today. If I have multiple departments and I put the right people to analyze, train, and supervise my accounting hires and those people and that department flourish. Then I did my job there.

Now in the same regards if my marketing teams isn't productive, has high turnover, can't stay in budget, and doesn't drive business due to my hires. That is my fault also.

No issue pointing out where he could and should improve, but don't agree with the every player at Auburn succeeded despite Gus philosophy. For instance, I get tired of 2 and 3 star Big 12 receivers that make our 5 stars dazzling catches look routine. Think that is an area where Gus needs to change/improve staff wise.

I am hoping the Morris hire is the beginning. Lot of OC/Coaches had hard times letting go of the calling/giving up schemes when they went HC. Guys like Gundy, Holgroson, (and later admitted their own stubbornness) even Herman is under fire for it now.

2 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Disagree. Gus was good in his job in regards to Brown. Provided the man with proper strength and conditioning coaches and facilities that improved him physically. Then provided him with coaches that taught him techniques, schemes, etc that put him where he is today. If I have multiple departments and I put the right people to analyze, train, and supervise my accounting hires and those people and that department flourish. Then I did my job there.

Now in the same regards if my marketing teams isn't productive, has high turnover, can't stay in budget, and doesn't drive business due to my hires. That is my fault also.

No issue pointing out where he could and should improve, but don't agree with the every player at Auburn succeeded despite Gus philosophy. For instance, I get tired of 2 and 3 star Big 12 receivers that make our 5 stars dazzling catches look routine. Think that is an area where Gus needs to change/improve staff wise.

I am hoping the Morris hire is the beginning. Lot of OC/Coaches had hard times letting go of the calling/giving up schemes when they went HC. Guys like Gundy, Holgroson, (and later admitted their own stubbornness) even Herman is under fire for it now.

Listen man, no offense, but what was the point of writing most of this? Anyone could’ve supplied Derrick with those facilities and he’d still be Derrick. That aside, Gus didn’t retain his job to make sure one guy got the right facilities, hell thats not even Gus’s job at all. That’s the S&C coordinator, the medical team, all of those behind the scene guys. Gus didn’t get wins where the defense performed well, that’s his job

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You all made these same arguments last year about how dangerous Purdue was all because they beat Ohio State.  Have you forgotten that so soon?

News flash:  Minnesota hasn't been recruiting that much better than that same Purdue team over the last five years.

I don’t have an argument in this but we didn’t even see the full strength version of that Purdue team, they had like 5 starters out and several others hurt as I recall. Minnesota is probably 5x better developed than the Purdue team we faced

12 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well.....that's because 'college head coach' is a professional position and 'college football' is an amateur sport.  Always been like that.  But you know that...😎

I do, thanks.

Just wondered if the other dude(ette) did... :beer2:

14 hours ago, aujohnson said:

That has nothing to do with my question. 

How do you say players shouldn’t play but Gus should win?

He can’t win without players. 

Ah....I see by who Liked your post that you're playing the purposefully obtuse character in today's performance.  Okay.  Carry-on and enjoy your experience here. 

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We were also one or two breaks away from it being a closer game in the first half. We got a few bounces our way that broke their back. I’ve learned not to take any team we play in a bowl lightly. If Auburn shows up and is well prepared, I love our chances. Too many unknowns to bank on it

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Listen man, no offense, but what was the point of writing most of this?

Thought I was on a message board that involved discussion. My bad.

Anyone could’ve supplied Derrick with those facilities and he’d still be Derrick. That aside, Gus didn’t retain his job to make sure one guy got the right facilities, hell thats not even Gus’s job at all.

I don't think that every program in the nation at all levels has Auburn's facilities. Again I disagree, fundraising for facilities is part of his job. Go to one of those QB Club luncheon type speaking events. If Gus isn't doing it then he should, cause I've been to one for Tom Herman and for Lincoln Riley and they are doing it. Didn't Gus give 2 million of his own for facilities? His facilities is for all his players also, not just one.

Holgorsen's comments when he gave up play calling:

“It’s just the right time, it makes sense, (for me to be) more of a CEO type guy,” Holgorsen said. “You have to spend as much time recruiting as you possibly can, fundraising is a big part of what we do, the game management aspect of it -- although I don’t think it’s been bad -- it’s hard to do. Just being able to oversee everything and live a happy life. You want to live. Want to live a long, happy, healthy life.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/118982/giving-up-play-calling-could-help-holgorsen-west-virginia-the-same-way-it-did-mike-gundy-oklahoma-state

That’s the S&C coordinator

That was hired and brought over by Malzahn I believe. He was on Malzahn's Arkansas state staff.

Gus didn’t get wins where the defense performed well, that’s his job

I agree, his offense did suffer. Because it is all his concern/responsibility now. His defense also performed cause of the staff he put together on that side of the ball. Why Gundy gave it up to go CEO

“It just beat me up physically,” Gundy said. “Mentally, too many hours. I couldn’t, the 5:45 starts and watching video up to noon. Media, then running to a team meeting, then after practice until 10:30, 11 at night, it was just mentally beating me up. I wasn't as good with the players. I wasn't as good with the coaches. It just wore me out. I couldn't do it."

https://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/118982/giving-up-play-calling-could-help-holgorsen-west-virginia-the-same-way-it-did-mike-gundy-oklahoma-state

On 12/13/2019 at 9:00 PM, Maverick.AU said:

It didnt cost him a career in the NFL...it didnt even cost him a 1st round selection... But Willis Mcgahee playing in and being injured in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl cost him MILLIONS. He dropped from a top 5 pick to the bottom of the 1st round. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2003/01/07/costly-injuries-for-draft-hopefuls/c9b6d6ac-34a5-4805-9fef-c82c79bc4d4b/

I would bet my left arm if he could do it over he would sit out that game. 

For the record, I'm stoked that DB is playing and is finishing what he started. 

Gus or the University should go buy 3 and 5 an insurance policy. 

11 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It didnt cost him a career in the NFL...it didnt even cost him a 1st round selection... But Willis Mcgahee playing in and being injured in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl cost him MILLIONS. He dropped from a top 5 pick to the bottom of the 1st round. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2003/01/07/costly-injuries-for-draft-hopefuls/c9b6d6ac-34a5-4805-9fef-c82c79bc4d4b/

I would bet my left arm if he could do it over he would sit out that game. 

For the record, I'm stoked that DB is playing and is finishing what he started. 

Gus or the University should go buy 3 and 5 an insurance policy. 

That was a national championship though, much different implications. Sure it may be easy in hindsight to say ”I would’ve sat out that game since we lost”. Just don’t see how any player could sit out a national title game. That would be a slap in the face to their teammates.

I agree with the other parts, I’d be surprised, if DB especially, didn’t have loss of value insurance.

Archived