direction of our program

tigerman1186

After watching Auburn, Bama, Kentucky and Tennessee in their bowl games, I have a question, how do you feel about the direction of our program at this time????

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

After watching Auburn, Bama, Kentucky and Tennessee in their bowl games, I have a question, how do you feel about the direction of our program at this time????

Gus is leading it into destruction.

I feel bitter about the direction of our program. Does that count?

No different than I have for several years honestly. We arent real bad, we’re not real good. We just are.

47 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Stagnant 

10 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

We're stuck in the middle.  Probably slowly down

Yes. Nothing excites all the 5 star recruits about AU like they are about UGA and AL and Clemson. Highly recruited players, while they don’t always pan out, also look at the players a school sends to the NFL that actually have success there. Hard to see any of those that AU coach has been responsible for. I don’t see the program taking any noticeable leaps in the next 2 years which will inevitably mean more talent was wasted once again. 

For better or worse, right or wrong, I've come to equate change with good for Auburn at this point not just on the field but off when you look at burgeoning apathy and watching your competition grow into contenders. The programs you listed are thriving or gaining speed under their last change. I rank us last on your list. Were it longer, I might also. 

What we have is whiplash. That's not the atmosphere that births hope and anticipation. 

Said before that bowl games are pretty meaningless. Pointed out to me today by a few folks in Auburn that they are meaningless only when you win, lose in the fashion we witnessed Wednesday....sorta eradicates all positives coming from the regular season end and recruiting. My understanding is that MN has  (0) 4, 5, star recruits in the past 5 years.Credit Gus and staff with (74) 4, 5, stars in that period. 

Not a coach bashing type and have never have felt this was the year to make a change. Will add that without some radical changes feel that we have a new coach this time next year or looking. 

I felt pretty good about the defense until the last 2 games.  Offense is a mess because of poor O line recruiting and development plus play calling that looks great one day and leaves you scratching your head the next.  I have never been a big Gus fan nor have I been very negative about him.  He has run a clean program you have to give him that.  He gets under Saban’s skin and has a relatively good record against him (compared to everyone else not named Dabo) and that is important to Auburn folks.  He’s a nice guy who you have to give him that.  I guess if we want to remain a middle of the pack SEC team he is an OK coach.  If we want to win championships he is unlikely to do it.  

Is Auburn still an upper tier SEC program?  When you see things like the 3-12 record vs UGA which ties AU with Vandy over the past 15 years then I think that is a fair question. Think about this.

1933-1981 - 1 SEC title (1957). SEC started playing in 1933. 

1983-1989 - 4 SEC titles under Pat Dye (1983, 1987, 1988, 1989)

1990 to Present (30 years) - 3 SEC titles (2004, 2010, 2013)

Auburn basketball suffered for years because the administration did not care if the program competed or not. When they actually gave the program a facility equal to other conference schools and paid for a respected coach the program became a winner. AU hired on the cheap and went with Kmart special coaches before they hired Bruce Pearl. Since Pat Dye the same can be said for all football head coach hires. Auburn's facilities are behind schools with less revenue such as Clemson. Now I feel like Auburn football is in a time where results only matter if they impact profits. Auburn University might not have the will to be an upper tier program.

53 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Yes. Nothing excites all the 5 star recruits about AU like they are about UGA and AL and Clemson. Highly recruited players, while they don’t always pan out, also look at the players a school sends to the NFL that actually have success there. Hard to see any of those that AU coach has been responsible for. I don’t see the program taking any noticeable leaps in the next 2 years which will inevitably mean more talent was wasted once again. 

Im not sure what you define as success butDee Ford, Jonathan Jones, Carlton Davis, and Peyton Barber just to name a few are having success to me. 

10 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Is Auburn still an upper tier SEC program?  When you see things like the 3-12 record vs UGA which ties AU with Vandy over the past 15 years then I think that is a fair question. Think about this.

Auburn basketball suffered for years because the administration did not care if the program competed or not. When they actually gave the program a facility equal to other conference schools and paid for a respected coach the program became a winner. AU hired on the cheap and went with Kmart special coaches before they hired Bruce Pearl. Since Pat Dye the same can be said for all football head coach hires. Auburn's facilities are behind schools with less revenue such as Clemson. Now I feel like Auburn football is in a time where results only matter if they impact profits. Auburn University might not have the will to be an upper tier program.

Since 1960, we're upside down against LSU, UF, uat and UGA and Gus is losing ground.   

I'm sure there are some great reasons for that, though.

I really don’t understand all the angst around here.

Gus “Ol Four Loss” Malzahn is doing it all good. Here are my points...

1. He gets us to a bowl every single year and with only 43 bowls thats a hard thing to do. Only 86 teams get to go to one.

2. Runs a clean program and recruits a lot of great offensive players. Then he limits their use so they are fresh for the NFL. And when he runs across one he really likes, he over uses them so they can have a shorter NFL career and protect themselves from brain damage.

3. He keeps us out of that horrible playoff. I mean really, who wants to participate in that? No, I’ll take a nice trip to Tampa or Nashville any day. 

4. He keeps us grounded and humble by making sure we don’t beat our rivals very often. 

5. He makes sure not to recruit too well on the offensive line so we don’t lose guys early to the NFL.

ALL in all Ol Four Loss is doing EXACTLY what we want him too. We don’t suck and we don’t get so good that we get over confident. Dude is brilliant.

25 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Hammer meet nail. I also believe we have far too many in the fan base that are just satisfied with the tailgating, and GameDay experience, and don't seem to care as much about the winning, and losing. Nothing in the body of work by Gus Malzahn since 2013 on the football field should give the administration the idea that he is capable of putting this program in the company of the elite teams in the conference. I realize that a couple of outlier wins happened at the end of 2017, but was only followed up by him crapping the bed twice to close out the season. 

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Are you sure that bright you are seeing is not bright lights of nuclear armegeddon.

This is a Gustav quote that he says at the end of every year. Was being sarcastic. 

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

This is a Gustav quote that he says at the end of every year. Was being sarcastic. 

He was, too. It's raining sarcasm these days. That and tears. And sighs. And sarcasm. And tears. And sighs. Times 7.

37 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Since 1960, we're upside down against LSU, UF, uat and UGA and Gus is losing ground.   

I'm sure there are some great reasons for that, though.

Since 1960? So it's my fault. :dunno: Sorry everyone. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Since 1960? So it's my fault. :dunno: Sorry everyone. 

All is forgiven.  Just don't let it happen again.  

Archived