Worst year for AU recruiting in state of AL in years?

GwillMac6

Only 1 top 200 player in the composite from the state of Alabama this class that we will end up signing. (Now I agree Cam Riley is extremely underrated and should be rated higher but I digress.) THANK GOD for Georgia, Texas and Florida recruits this cycle. Really saved our class this year. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like class of 2019 was just as barren in state as the class of 2020. Only 1 top 200 player in the composite from Alabama that we signed and that was BO. Compare that with the class of 2018 in which we had 3 from the state of alabama in the top 200 in the composite AU signed. I guess I never really realized how we are more and more relying on other states to get our top tier recruits. We always have recruited Georgia and florida well but we are relying on them even more lately. Works out perfectly with Kirby wanting to recruit nationally more and more. Leaves more prospects for AU.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And 2021 is supposed to be huge in terms of in state talent so the yin to their yang.

Yupp. Time to rack up. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yupp. Time to rack up. 

And time to keep them in the boat when they decide to jump in! Lost 2 freaking top 50 players in state and another out of state. That is 3 blue chip talents we lost and 2 were in state. That is a huge loss regardless that our LB class is still strong even without them. Took me back to the chizik years having so many decommits in one class. 

Just looked at the state rankings. Alabama wasn't barren in 2020. We just missed on all the ones we wanted but JJ. There were 8 top 200 players in state, 9 in the top 10.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AL

In 2019 there was 8 in the top 200 again.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AL

In 2018 there was 6 in the top 200.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AL

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Just looked at the state rankings. Alabama wasn't barren in 2020. We just missed on all the ones we wanted but JJ. There were 8 top 200 players in state, 9 in the top 10.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AL

In 2019 there was 8 in the top 200 again.

In 2018 there was 6 in the top 200.

lol broooooooooo COME ON!!! I meant in OUR CLASS. AS IN AUBURN. THE ONES WE GOT COMMITTED!!!! lmao. OMGSH!!!!! I thought you got that.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol broooooooooo COME ON!!! I meant in OUR CLASS. AS IN AUBURN. THE ONES WE GOT COMMITTED!!!! lmao. OMGSH!!!!! I thought you got that.

Well class is barren typically means not much to choose from so the word choice threw me off.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well class is barren typically not much to choose from so the word choice threw me off.

If I thought the state was barren I would say Worst year for talent in state of alabama in several years? . MUHHHHHHHH BAD!!! I can see how it would be confusing.

What I meant it is crazy to think we have a top 7 class as of now and yet only 1 of those players we have committed is a high 4 star in JJ Evans like you said. Past 2 classes only 2 top 200 players from the state we signed. Yet we still had good classes. It truly is remarkable. At least to me. 

WAR DAMN!!!!! Our coaches did a great job in other states!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!! TEXAS BABY!!! I love crutin there!! LETS KEEP THAT UP!!!

It is what it is. I like the few in state guys that we do have. Look at Clemson, they have one in state guy and he’s the coaches son. Just go get the talent, no matter where it is. We had a problem for decades getting Texas talent now we have like 3 or 4 Texas guys in one class 

I’m a little inebriated so I’m not reading comments past the OP but let me say this. It wasn’t a tremendous year in Bama talent and Georgia has almost become THE state to recruit from.

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It is what it is. I like the few in state guys that we do have. Look at Clemson, they have one in state guy and he’s the coaches son. Just go get the talent, no matter where it is. We had a problem for decades getting Texas talent now we have like 3 or 4 Texas guys in one class 

I agree.

Why would anyone care which state a recruit comes from? Talent is talent no matter what, and some of these kids get offers from all over the U.S.  This is a non-issue so why try to create one? 

Building a national brand is supposed to be crucial.  Recruiting players from other states will help to spread the AU love around. This is just not a bad thing.

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I agree.

Why would anyone care which state a recruit comes from? Talent is talent no matter what, and some of these kids get offers from all over the U.S.  This is a non-issue so why try to create one? 

Building a national brand is supposed to be crucial.  Recruiting players from other states will help to spread the AU love around. This is just not a bad thing.

Lol that's what you got out of that!? Ohhhh noooo ma'am!!! Nuh uh!!! We ain't playing that game. I was just looking at our class and making a observation. It is to highlight how much of a incredible job our staff has done recruiting!!! Woooo!!! It's supposed to be a positive. Everyone and Everything in our home state works against us. They work on pushing kids to west Vance. They are a huge network on the same page and swinging in the same direction. It is incredible that we can still get top 10 classes almost every year without locking down a lot of the best prospects in our home state 

I mean how ass backwards is it that it is honestly easier for us to recruit out of state than in state?? That speaks to what we are up against. I love love love we are spreading our wings and recruiting so much in Texas this year. I hope we keep that up. War damn eagle baaaaay baaaaay!!!! Let's freaking go!!!!

O and p.s. this is not just fball related. It extends to basketball too. I think we have only 2 scholarship players on our team from the state of Alabama. And 1 is a transfer from Memphis. But Bruuuuuce as well as Gustav overcomes it *knock on wood*!!! Wooooo!!!!!! 

I was going to start a thread on this earlier. Going by Rival's listing, UAT signed 8 of the top 12 in-state players. AU, Nebraska, Clemson and LSU signed one each. So we did as well as Nebraska with in-state players. This is hands down the worst showing we've ever had in-state, and I mean ever. I don't like it one bit.

You can say it's a great class overall, and it certainly could be but we got our clock cleaned on home-grown talent. I don't see how this can continue and AU still be competitive with the Tuskalosers.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I was going to start a thread on this earlier. Going by Rival's listing, UAT signed 8 of the top 12 in-state players. AU, Nebraska, Clemson and LSU signed one each. So we did as well as Nebraska with in-state players. This is hands down the worst showing we've ever had in-state, and I mean ever. I don't like it one bit.

You can say it's a great class overall, and it certainly could be but we got our clock cleaned on home-grown talent. I don't see how this can continue and AU still be competitive with the Tuskalosers.

And yet we still have a top 7 class. It's pretty amazing isn't it? The bams network tried their best to lock us out of most of the top kids in state so we were like ok!!! We will take our business elsewhere and just absolutely cleaned up in Georgia and Texas this class!!!! Wooooo!!!!!

Like others has said above. State of Alabama for 2021 is the class we all have been waiting for years on. A program defining class potentially if we get lucky and things finally break our way. It is loaded with talent at the top. We got 2 of the top 4 committed. We need to keep them in the boat this year!!!

War damn coaches!!!! Let's goooooo!!!! 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Good thing there’s 50 states to recruit from. Alabama ain’t the only state with talent. Bama cleaned up in state and Auburn cleaned up in the state of Georgia 

51 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Good thing there’s 50 states to recruit from. Alabama ain’t the only state with talent. Bama cleaned up in state and Auburn cleaned up in the state of Georgia 

Cleaned up in Georgia? Do you really think getting three prospects that UGA really wanted is cleaning up? I don't. We've had a good year, got a good class coming in. That doesn't make it OK to get waxed in your home state. Three of those in-state guys were AU commits at one time and flipped. Who's to say we won't see a repeat in '21?

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

And yet we still have a top 7 class. It's pretty amazing isn't it? The bams network tried their best to lock us out of most of the top kids in state so we were like ok!!! We will take our business elsewhere and just absolutely cleaned up in Georgia and Texas this class!!!! Wooooo!!!!!

Like others has said above. State of Alabama for 2021 is the class we all have been waiting for years on. A program defining class potentially if we get lucky and things finally break our way. It is loaded with talent at the top. We got 2 of the top 4 committed. We need to keep them in the boat this year!!!

War damn coaches!!!! Let's goooooo!!!! 

I like your optimism. I'd rather we ran UAT out of state and made them hunt elsewhere instead of the opposite. About that 2021 class: Three of those '20 kids were AU commits that flipped. What's to keep that from happening again next year? When you experience the all-time worst in-state result ever, it's time to address the problem and not excuse it away by saying we did great elsewhere.

AU has faced the same in-state obstacles since before Bryant came to Tuskaloser. A boxer can say he recovered from a body punch and still boxed the round, but that doesn't change the fact that he got punched.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Cleaned up in Georgia? Do you really think getting three prospects that UGA really wanted is cleaning up? I don't. We've had a good year, got a good class coming in. That doesn't make it OK to get waxed in your home state. Three of those in-state guys were AU commits at one time and flipped. Who's to say we won't see a repeat in '21?

On this we are in complete agreement.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

On this we are in complete agreement.

Hes working a angle here. I'm not quite sure what it is but I know 💯 % it's a trap. He is never ever this negative. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Hes working a angle here. I'm not quite sure what it is but I know 💯 % it's a trap. He is never ever this negative. 

Realizing your HC has gone 2 consecutive classes without signing a HS OT will do that to a man.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Realizing your HC has gone 2 consecutive classes without signing a HS OT will do that to a man.

I don't trust Mikey. I think he is just using this as a excuse to rationalize losing 4 games every year!!! Lol. Because this is a total break from his character. Where is bill Taylor when you need him!? Hahaha.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I don't trust Mikey. I think he is just using this as a excuse to rationalize losing 4 games every year!!! Lol. Because this is a total break from his character. Where is bill Taylor when you need him!? Hahaha.

Clowns clown. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Had you kept up with my recruiting thoughts for the past 40 years, you'd know that my angle has always been that we should come close to breaking even on in-state recruiting. A 40-60 split is about as good as we can expect to do over time and we'll have to accept that. Going 1 for the top 12 is the worst we've ever done. It's extremely disappointing to me, and how many we get from Georgia, Florida, Texas and California doesn't make up for getting  waxed in our own state.

Archived