National Prayer Day

gr82be

On 3/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

@AUsince72, you better be staying HOME!!! And @doc4aday. And anyone else who is immuno-compromised or just plain old, like me! And you young ones, even though you are not in the highest risk, you can still get it. PLEASE stay at home! This whole thing has been a little scary. I just today started thinking about how it was going to affect football!!! I was all worried about basketball, but now it's football! I guess, since I'm now going to be staying home, I have more time to think about this stuff. :no: Prayers for you all.  

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. I am staying home and watching westerns on Starz channel!  Love those old shows such as Maverick, Cheyenne and Audi Murphy oldies on this channel. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2020 at 11:44 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

You have two sets of TP hoarders: those who are afraid of being quarantined/forced isolation(which appears to be an actual scenario), and those who are buying extra due to the shortage created by the first set in fear of not being able to get more in the near future. 

You left out, "those who don't GAS about anyone but themselves."

50 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You left out, "those who don't GAS about anyone but themselves."

I figured that fell under both categories. Apparently at a local Kroger there was a near riot over cleaning supplies. Employee dropped a pallet and went to return his hand jack(or whatever it’s called) and came back to people tearing into it. Employees tried to calm the herd, but they hurled expletives and harassed by them for “not doing their jobs”. 

My workplace(locally owned retail bottle shop), is on the verge of running out of TP, paper towels, and cleansing wipes. Because we are locally owned, we supply all those products ourselves, and the grocery/big box store shelves have been empty for days. We are staring down the barrel of doing curb-side only, if not just closing the doors entirely until all this blows over. Thankfully, I have a key and security code, so I can grab all the beer, booze, and wine I’ll need to get me through this s***. 

trump will do anything to keep his followers in line.  This is not a sincere gesture but an, "Oh s***, we better do something...I know, let's pray!"  Screw all of his ignorance and child-like behavior in all of this.  The fact that he cost people their lives, no big deal.  Let's claim a day to be let's say words to a magic man in the sky...that'll fix it.

I hope those who are quick to tell conservatives to stop posting political messages will please tell the leftists the same thing.

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I hope those who are quick to tell conservatives to stop posting political messages will please tell the leftists the same thing.

Well, the OP is a Fox news link about our Republican POTUS promoting Christianity, soooo....

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Pretty sure National Prayer Day was not a publicity stunt. I mean if you don't believe in prayer then don't open the thread. I swear some people have to make everything political. I just pray for them as well. I support the message, it's not about the messenger. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, the OP is a Fox news link about our Republican POTUS promoting Christianity, soooo....

See post above Loof. I just happen to think prayer works. The source of the article was simply that. Not a personal endorsement for Fox. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Pretty sure National Prayer Day was not a publicity stunt. I mean if you don't believe in prayer then don't open the thread. I swear some people have to make everything political. I just pray for them as well. I support the message, it's not about the messenger. 

I think 72 and Tora aren't appreciating the derailment of your good thread, gr82be...because it should be understood why you shared it. I'm glad you did. 

Fear...in differing degrees for us all for a variety of reasons...reveals a lot. And it's funny how we cry to separate what is basically all intertwined. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yes, and even the OP said to move it if necessary.  He just posted it in the football board because that's what gets the traffic.  However, the mods have seen fit to leave it for whatever reason.

It's aimed at those of us inclined to agree.  Disagreeing and disbelief of others' faith is understandable as we're all different, but what's the point of being nasty about it?  Nasty "anti" statements are unnecessary and pointless and just meant to be ugly and make non-believers feel superior.  They are not meant for discussion or education.

This is exactly why I stay out of the politics forum.  It's highly disappointing to see certain posters' beliefs (and that's fine when they feel the same about me).

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

See post above Loof. I just happen to think prayer works. The source of the article was simply that. Not a personal endorsement. 

Understood. But, unseemly as the discourse might be- that business above definitely qualifies, and I don't endorse crapping on religious threads- this is a place for discussion and differing viewpoints are going to be offered.

And while you might not endorse everything in the article, it is from a source that leans very far in one direction politically and prominently features not a religious image at the top but a very political one. 

Again- and to @AUsince72I don't approve of dude's comments. I'm just saying that it's not apples to apples comparing political comments in a thread like this to political comments in actual sports threads. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Understood. But, unseemly as the discourse might be- that business above definitely qualifies, and I don't endorse crapping on religious threads- this is a place for discussion and differing viewpoints are going to be offered.

And while you might not endorse everything in the article, it is from a source that leans very far in one direction politically and prominently features not a religious image at the top but a very political one. 

Again- and to @AUsince72I don't approve of dude's comments. I'm just saying that it's not apples to apples comparing political comments in a thread like this to political comments in actual sports threads. 

Appreciate the response as you worded it. I'm personally all about the prayer and my personal faith. I won't waiver on that. However I try to keep an open mind in politics. Without going deeper, any politician who declared this would have my support on it. There are no political parties where I plan to go. :)

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't disagree.

My issue is that other conversations, even in sports threads, have involved a legit political component (usually the POTUS) and the mod warnings pop up on a conservative's post even though it's a legit discussion that has meandered in that direction.

However, a totally pointless, useless, mean-spirited post that's neither educational nor meant to open a legit dialogue is let to slide since it's from the liberal viewpoint.  The more I've been here and the more politics leaks into this board, the more the double-standard is becoming obvious.

I know you'll disagree and I'm okay with that.  At least we're having a legitimate discussion and we're not just being immature jackasses to each other.  

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't disagree.

My issue is that other conversations, even in sports threads, have involved a legit political component (usually the POTUS) and the mod warnings pop up on a conservative's post even though it's a legit discussion that has meandered in that direction.

However, a totally pointless, useless, mean-spirited post that's neither educational nor meant to open a legit dialogue is let to slide since it's from the liberal viewpoint.  The more I've been here and the more politics leaks into this board, the more the double-standard is becoming obvious.

I know you'll disagree and I'm okay with that.  At least we're having a legitimate discussion and we're not just being immature jackasses to each other.  

Understood 

While I support the right of others to discuss politics in this thread, I do not wish to myself. I do respect the thread as it was intended and I respect your viewpoints.

And boy do I ever support everyone finding comfort wherever they can right now. 

Love to all. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Understood 

While I support the right of others to discuss politics in this thread, I do not wish to myself. I do respect the thread as it was intended and I respect your viewpoints.

And boy do I ever support everyone finding comfort wherever they can right now. 

Love to all. 

I appreciate you man, and that is why, even though we're apparently from opposite political spectrums, we're still bros!  I always love and respect my brother Loof.

:cheers:

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I appreciate you man, and that is why, even though we're apparently from opposite political spectrums, we're still bros!  I always love and respect my brother Loof.

:cheers:

Always, Fam. I hope you're getting in a lot of extra hair ruffling these days. I'm glad you opened up in the other thread. Team 7-2 is in my heart.

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I think 72 and Tora aren't appreciating the derailment of your good thread, gr82be...because it should be understood why you shared it. I'm glad you did. 

Fear...in differing degrees for us all for a variety of reasons...reveals a lot. And it's funny how we cry to separate what is basically all intertwined. 

People exists that will always try to tear down the message. Pray for them too.

I appreciate this thread as it's encouraging that so many others are turning to prayer. I believe prayer works and that God could completely wipe this virus out if he chose to. I understand that statement opens a whole can of worms about why He chooses not to and it's not my intention to go into all that. Just stating my belief of how powerful and in control God is. I pray everyday and will continue to that this time will pass and God will receive the glory. Whatever that looks like is up to Him. Seems to me that many are turning to a fatalistic mindset where little if any hope reside. Praying for them as well to find the one and only source of hope. 

1 hour ago, TigerTale said:

I appreciate this thread as it's encouraging that so many others are turning to prayer. I believe prayer works and that God could completely wipe this virus out if he chose to. I understand that statement opens a whole can of worms about why He chooses not to and it's not my intention to go into all that. Just stating my belief of how powerful and in control God is. I pray everyday and will continue to that this time will pass and God will receive the glory. Whatever that looks like is up to Him. Seems to me that many are turning to a fatalistic mindset where little if any hope reside. Praying for them as well to find the one and only source of hope. 

Started a thread on All Things Considered as a resource bank for any who choose to use it. Please visit and add! 🦋

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Started a thread on All Things Considered as a resource bank for any who choose to use it. Please visit and add! 🦋

That's awesome Tora!  I have just finished my testimony over there for anyone interested.  As I said over there, if we are all smart and faithful, we can handle this situation and come out all the better for it.  God is good!!!

Reading a few of these threads, I'm always curious why non-believers bother to comment on the subject of Someone they don't believe exists.  That would be like me standing and swinging at air, fighting someone who I don't believe is there.  

They'd put me in a straightjacket..

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

GOD is the only one who can stop COVID-19. Though I don't know when, I strongly believe HE will. Keep praying.

God gave you a mind and actions to take matters into your own hands as well. With this being said, people who are not on the front line , stop hoarding all the PPE especially if you do not have the required symptoms. It is best to follow the recommendations given including self-quarantine, social distancing, and proper hygiene .

We are severely short right now in PPE. Organizations are asking healthcare workers to re-use the same protective equipment for days. Some organizations don’t have any. Your frontline caregivers are being exposed. Let’s all work together on this. 

During this unprecedented event in modern times, we all have an abundance of time to ponder. Some questions have come to mind. If we assume god is all powerful and loving and has a plan as most Christians do then...

1. This virus impacts all of us, regardless of race, color, and creed. Why does he choose not to fix the situation immediately  and put an end to world wide suffering due to the impact of Covid-19?

2. If he has an omnipotent plan, than what effect, if any, does prayer have to change the outcome?

Interested to hear your thoughts on this. 

Archived