2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

34 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’m in agreement with the majority of what’s been said here but Woody Barrett played in 8A Florida football and went 13-1 as a starter and Joey went 11-4 in 7A. Those two classifications are pretty good football. 

Woody's big problem was in his head and your correct 8A football in Fl. is as good as it gets

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

I had a more detailed response typed out comparing DD’s production to theirs but decided against it. If I remember correctly Woody Barrett played in a single wing type offense where his running ability was utilized more than his passing, could be mistaken though. Joey was an elite athlete and a freak of nature... that still didn’t receive the lion’s share of snaps at QB for his HS. I do agree that they both played against upper level competition in HS. Talent is probably comparable to large school Texas HS football, coaching is the main difference between TX and FL football IMO. DD seems to be ahead of both those 2 guys in terms of football IQ.

Actually your thinking of Apopka Blue Darters were Chandler Cox played. Woody played for West Orange High more of a RPO offense and you are correct coaching in Tx is better then in Fl for the most part. A lot of the better coaches here in Fl are leaving for Ga, Al and Tx the money is much much better. We have had two coach resign here in central Fl to coach in Ga just in the last two weeks

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’m agreeing with you. Just saying those two classifications are comparable. Coaching is significantly better in TX.

Texas has been doing elite 7x7 throughout the summer for years and this really helps in QB development.  Gatewood did not flame out here there were two very talented QB's Nix and Gatewood. Nix seemed to be a better passer at that time and Gatewood a better runner. I do believe Gatewood was misused last year there were times in the RED zone I think he was better choice than Nix the problem with using Gatewood is your Number 1 would not get better in long term if always pulled in Red Zone. It was a tough choice for the coaches and from what I read on this board it was not handled well as Gatewood seemed to think he would get PT in those situations but then did not get it. I would not be surprised to see Gatewood do well at Tenn. He is talented but now we will see how talented he really is.

In the film I have seen on Davis he is a much better passer than Gatewood or Frazier especially when he is on the move. He reminds me of Nick Marshall with his running but appears to be a better passer than Nick. Now my assessment is with Davis playing against HS talent and Nick against SEC talent so it is not an apples to apples comparison.  All HS QB's are gambles as you don't know how they will react to different talent levels but at this point I think we will be real happy with Davis.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Won't be a NCAA decision. Will be a SEC decision with the other conferences following the SEC's lead. IMO. Will really be the SEC's schools Presidents decisions.

Do you think this is a precursor to the power five conference breaking away from The NCAA?

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Coaching is significantly better in TX.

(CC @bigbird)

Surprised golf didn’t jump all over this one. I’ll bite

Bird is not an example of what I would use as being significantly better coaching. LOL

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bird is not an example of what I would use as being significantly better coaching. LOL

Its my birthday I'm trying to be nice..............key word trying

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Happy Birthday, golf!!!

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

Go for it!

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

All right Golf! Today is my daughter's birthday too. Happy birthday to both of you.

She is 31 years old.

You are 131 years old.

How about that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Please! Please! Please! Be right for once in your life E!

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Laurence of Arabia died on May 19th, 1935. Odd coincidence that some guy named Golf started showing up on voter rolls the exact same day. Just saying. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Its my birthday

Happy  Birthday Golf! How many millennia are you now?

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually your thinking of Apopka Blue Darters were Chandler Cox played. Woody played for West Orange High more of a RPO offense and you are correct coaching in Tx is better then in Fl for the most part. A lot of the better coaches here in Fl are leaving for Ga, Al and Tx the money is much much better. We have had two coach resign here in central Fl to coach in Ga just in the last two weeks

You’re right, Apopka is exactly who I was thinking of. You’re also right about pay difference in FL vs GA. I make 3x more of a coaching supplement as DC and head of S&C for my school system than my buddy who is a HC in FL. Lots of metro Atlanta coaches are guys that migrated north from FL. Reverse snowbird effect!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm trying to be nice..............key word trying

Also You should know from your Padawan...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

You’re right, Apopka is exactly who I was thinking of. You’re also right about pay difference in FL vs GA. I make 3x more of a coaching supplement as DC and head of S&C for my school system than my buddy who is a HC in FL. Lots of metro Atlanta coaches are guys that migrated north from FL. Reverse snowbird effect!  

Exactly. I looked into moving back to Alabama a few years ago, I even interviewed at Enterprise. I make about 20-30k more in Texas than I could there. I was amazed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

Guys, he doesn't post often but if you haven't figured it out, pay attention to AUinGA. He knows football, evaluations, & high school ball in Georgia.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I even interviewed at Enterprise

Damn! We could have met. Prattville & Enterprise are region foes.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, ellitor said:

Guys, he doesn't post often but if you haven't figured it out, pay attention to AUinGA. He knows football, evaluations, & high school ball in Georgia.

Appreciate that man. I was fortunate that I was able to coach some good really good players, and coach against some really good players. Got 2 of mine at AU right now and a bunch I coached in all-star games or coached against over the years. At my current job there are not as many players as my last gig but living in the mountains sure is pretty. 

Edited by AUinGA44
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

All right Golf! Today is my daughter's birthday too. Happy birthday to both of you.

She is 31 years old.

You are 131 years old.

How about that.

There are days I feel like..................... happy birthday to your daughter she has got to be a fantastic person having a birthday today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Laurence of Arabia died on May 19th, 1935. Odd coincidence that some guy named Golf started showing up on voter rolls the exact same day. Just saying. 

Larry and I were good bud man could put away some liquor 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

A few. Thanks for being a good sport. i know you are usually right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

A few. Thanks for being a good sport. i know you are usually right.

I'm only right when teenagers don't change their minds on the info sources have gotten, which ain't often. lol

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly. I looked into moving back to Alabama a few years ago, I even interviewed at Enterprise. I make about 20-30k more in Texas than I could there. I was amazed.

Al. pays better then Fl  Rick Darlington is the coach at Enterprise he left Apopka after 16 seasons this happen two years ago. Now I think in his case he did it to get a second retirement package could be wrong. 

PS doubt he would hire you always

• Like 1