All Things Star Wars

Well I took my Grandson to see Star Wars Episode III, this afternoon. I thought it was great. They tied up all the others very well and set you up to see the first one again.

They showed a preview of a movie coming out in December that looks like it will be very good.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/index.html

I thought SW III was decent. However, it raised more questions for me than it answered. There were several continuity errors from eps III to IV.

Still, it was the best of the last 3 attemps by Lucas. And I heavily stress attempts .

I didn't buy into the whole reason Anakin turned to the dark side. So for me, the middle 1/3 of the movie was really boring. The love story was terrible. It sounded like Lucas went to the local junior high school to get the dialog. :puke: Everytime Anakin was talking to Padme, I wanted to hit my head against a wall.

Once he turned bad, I thought it was good. However, I get the feeling he cut out a lot of this, so I'm wondering what the DVD will hold.

The best of the new trilogy, for sure, but still way below the original movies.

You know, I talk to all of these people who are like," WOW IT WAS GREAT!"...

But I read the 2 replys before this one on this thread and you all share my points exactly. Maybe we just look for more in a movie?

I thought it was a great attempt but I think you change the casting a bit...give the directing to Spielberg or someother great director...and you have a movie that looks and feels ten times better.

I thought the love scenes and the beginning (where they talk non stop for what seems an enternity) was bogus....everytime Anakin threw a hissy fit it just pissed me off, it seemed like Episodes II & III he would just be like," I WANT TO HAVE THE JEDI TITLE...WAHHH....WAHHH...WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS MASTER??" Man it was annoying.

I thought when he turned evil....then it was a great movie.

give the directing to Spielberg or someother great director...and you have a movie that looks and feels ten times better.

162012[/snapback]

Bingo.

I think Lucas should have stuck with making up the story, and leave the writing and directing to someone else. But then again, how would I have felt if I were 30 when I saw the Original Star Wars, instead of being 7?

It was the "Empire Strikes Back" of the new trilogy. Did exactly what it was supposed to, filled in the blanks. Nicely done and completed the series. Gone with the wind it was not. Win an oscar it will not. Excellent entertainment for me yes. And Yoda proved once and for all that its not always the size of the shwartz.... :blink:

Just saw it over the weekend and thought it was great. I would have to agree with Jarhead though. It wasn't very believable how Anakin suddenly turned to the darkside. Also, I thought it was a little over the top to have Anakin killing little kids.

I thought it was great. And how he "suddenly" turned to the dark side was very believable. When you fear to lose something that badly, you will do anything to keep it. It was a bad move for Mace to have anikan wait alone. It gave him time to think. Once he made the choice and helped kill Mace, he had no choice but to join Palpatine. But anyway, I will agree the story just can't live upto the original trilogy, but I thought it was overall more entertaining than any of the other movies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tigrinum Major

Finally saw this movie at a drive-in with my kids last night. I haven't seen the first two (PM and AOTC), but I was pleased with this one, overall, with the same caveats that everyone else brings up (love story dialogue and the sudden switch to the dark side.)

My question to the forum: Should I go back and watch Episodes I and II?

• 15 years later...
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ok. I'm officially hopeful. If this doesn't happen it will be a bigger let down than getting excited for the Star Wars Sequel trilogy only for the Last Jedi to completely crap all over it.

Funny you should mention that. I've been in Twitter thread all morning with A. Schwartz because he's actually been defending TLJ as a top-3 Star Wars film. 😅

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ok. I'm officially hopeful. If this doesn't happen it will be a bigger let down than getting excited for the Star Wars Sequel trilogy only for the Last Jedi to completely crap all over it.

The Mandalorian has done a good job tying everything together from the Star Wars Cannon and pulling episode 6 and 7 together.  Recommend it if you haven't seen it.

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Funny you should mention that. I've been in Twitter thread all morning with A. Schwartz because he's actually been defending TLJ as a top-3 Star Wars film. 😅

Star Wars Samuel LJackson GIF - StarWars SamuelLJackson MaceWindu -  Discover & Share GIFs

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The Mandalorian has done a good job tying everything together from the Star Wars Cannon and pulling episode 6 and 7 together.  Recommend it if you haven't seen it.

I have & do religiously. Tied more than 6 & 7 together. Tied Clone Wars, Rebels, & some formerly Legends stuff together too so far.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

TLJ is not just the worst Star Wars film, it's one of the worst pure movies I have seen in a loooooong time. 

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

TLJ is not just the worst Star Wars film, it's one of the worst pure movies I have seen in a loooooong time. 

It’s a bad movie but it’s the one of the sequel trilogy I hate the least. At least it TRIED to not just cater to nostalgia. Doesn’t mean it did it well at all, mind you.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

It’s a bad movie but it’s the one of the sequel trilogy I hate the least. At least it TRIED to not just cater to nostalgia. Doesn’t mean it did it well at all, mind you.

Tried to subvert TOO much. I have heard it accurately described as "the star wars movie for people who hate star wars". When Mark Hammill tells you that the coward-take is inconsistent with Luke, a wise man would listen. Johnson didn't.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Tried to subvert TOO much. I have heard it accurately described as "the star wars movie for people who hate star wars". When Mark Hammill tells you that the coward-take is inconsistent with Luke, a wise man would listen. Johnson didn't.

They also didn't listen to George Lucas who initially had Luke dying in the last movie which would have made much more sense than in 8. Pissed MH off royally.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

They also didn't listen to George Lucas who initially had Luke dying in the last movie which would have made much more sense than in 8. Pissed MH off royally.

I am in showbiz for a living. Me and my coworkers have dissected TLJ for hours on end. It's baffling some of the decisions Johnson made. Honestly. Like, just from a storytelling mechanics and pacing point of view.

Just now, AUght2win said:

I am in showbiz for a living. Me and my coworkers have dissected TLJ for hours on end. It's baffling some of the decisions Johnson made. Honestly. Like, just from a storytelling mechanics and pacing point of view.

I'm no writer but I would love to see something like a 1,000 year time skip. Stop going backwards in time and stop repeating plots. Start fresh.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I'm no writer but I would love to see something like a 1,000 year time skip. Stop going backwards in time and stop repeating plots. Start fresh.

Knights of the Old Republic trilogy.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The empire should have never risen again. And if did, THAT should have been the story covered in the sequels. To just flash forward 30 years and be like "by the way, the empire's back..." WHAT?! 

The empire should have never risen again. And if did, THAT should have been the story covered in the sequels. To just flash forward 30 years and be like "by the way, the empire's back..." WHAT?! 

I really wanted to see the actual process of rebuilding the jedi order and the politics of HOW it should be built. They were better off never mentioning Luke and crew then what they chose to do. 

Why I hate TFA more than TLJ.

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Knights of the Old Republic trilogy.

What is now Legends has some really good Old Republic Stories in it. I'm currently listening to the Darth Bane trilogy on Audible.

Archived