Defensive Position Changes

ScotsAU

32 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I've thought for a long time but never voiced it that I wanted him to go back to being a true LB. He jumps offside too much being on the LOS anyways and was a killer LB in high school.

TD is one of the most disappointing recruits of the Malzahn Era. I thought he was going to be a stud based off his HS film. He was explosive to the ball. 

I think he is top five most disappointing. That's another good topic. Who were the top 5 biggest disappointments in Gus' tenure? I would say #1 Byron Cowart. #2 Jeremy Johnson. #3 TD Moultry #4 Calvin Ashley maybe? #5 Bo Nix.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Lay off, already. 🙄

Give me a break! Good grief man it’s just a joke! 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

TD is one of the most disappointing recruits of the Malzahn Era. I thought he was going to be a stud based off his HS film. He was explosive to the ball. 

I think he is top five most disappointing. That's another good topic. Who were the top 5 biggest disappointments in Gus' tenure? I would say #1 Byron Cowart. #2 Jeremy Johnson. #3 TD Moultry #4 Calvin Ashley maybe? #5 Bo Nix.

Top 4 could be in any order.  I’d add NCM and a whole bunch of running backs.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It’s relentless.

Not by me. One mod with a like and another with a bad sense of humor. I’m confused 🤷‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Top 4 could be in any order.  I’d add NCM and a whole bunch of running backs.

I think NCM might have eventually shown something. He just got passed by Seth Williams, who had the same skill set but better.

I watched some of the 2020 Vandy-LSU game. Vandy typically ran three interior down linemen, and one stand-up EDGE OLB. The NT was either in a 0 or 1 Technique. Sometimes they had a DE in a 2-Tech next over an OG. So they did both 3-4 and 4-3 type looks, and it looked like they did both 2-Gap and 1-Gap techniques, but lean towards 2-Gap.

I believe Mason also does a nickel with two interior linemen in a 2 or 2i technique, and two stand-up EDGE OLBs. This is similar to what Dave Aranda did at LSU.

We have a number of big interior guys (300 lb) who should be able to adapt to this. The tweeners (260 lb) may be a challenge, being too big for the EDGE, but too small to 2-Gap over an offensive tackle. But I trust Mason can optimize the defense to the personnel.

Roc Thomas's high school tape was one of the most impressive I've seen. He'll always be one that upsets me to think about

11 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

Roc Thomas's high school tape was one of the most impressive I've seen. He'll always be one that upsets me to think about

I was a huge fan of Roc as well. I can barely remember what happened to him. Seemed like he fumbled and Gus hated him for it after that until he transferred out.

I was a huge fan of Roc as well. I can barely remember what happened to him. Seemed like he fumbled and Gus hated him for it after that until he transferred out.

He liked to run backwards a bit too much.

Mason's defense is a hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme, with a lot of 4 man fronts on run downs, and  two gap schemes on passing downs. He only went to a mostly 4-3 defense the past couple years at Vanderbilt because of his roster. Not all DEs or OLBs convert to a 3-4 system well. You ask a lot more of your front 7 in a two gap scheme as far as reads and assignments. Not sure that AU has the players on its roster for the Bucks, Jacks, Jokers, Sams, or STUDs. NT and shaded 3-4 tech's shouldn't be an issue.

Archived