Auburn incoming freshman earns spot on U.S. Olympic team

augolf1716

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No pressure on her now, huh? That's tough to have to assume in short fashion. Good luck to her for sure....

Yes, and the pressure got to Biles who had the Olympic experience along with winning medals. But she delivered the best bar routine of the Olympics moments after Simone dropped out.  Ice water. 

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yes, and the pressure got to Biles who had the Olympic experience along with winning medals. But she delivered the best bar routine of the Olympics moments after Simone dropped out.  Ice water. 

I don’t think it is pressure what got to her. There is an article (Washington Post) explaining what that certain super-advanced “twist” skill can do to your brain function and how scary and dangerous it is (brain and body being disconnected for a moment while flying through the air). It seems like this is what got to her and scared her. It messes with your brain. Apparently, Biles lost complete control while performing this skill and it could have ended very badly for her.

40 minutes ago, AUreo said:

I don’t think it is pressure what got to her. There is an article (Washington Post) explaining what that certain super-advanced “twist” skill can do to your brain function and how scary and dangerous it is (brain and body being disconnected for a moment while flying through the air). It seems like this is what got to her and scared her. It messes with your brain. Apparently, Biles lost complete control while performing this skill and it could have ended very badly for her.

I saw that.  That's definitely a scary thought.  Incredible she still landed, especially to the point that if she hadn't stumbled the common fan probably thought she did what she wanted to.  I was just thinking the stress as mentioned the days before was also a contributing factor to the episode. 

Great to see Suni take it home!!!  She is now the GOAT - doesn't fold under pressure.

• Like 1

Heck Yes!!!!!! Freaking awesome!

And she is coming to Auburn! Holy cow!

3 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Fortunately NIL is already in place, otherwise she would probably go pro now.

This is what she needed to bring in the Big NILs though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Fortunately NIL is already in place, otherwise she would probably go pro now.

Yep I expect her NIL's to go thru the roof...........................

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep I expect her NIL's to go thru the roof...........................

And AU gymnastic tickets will be going through the roof for this upcoming season. lol

Graba is drooling now.... :)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

This is what she needed to bring in the Big NILs though. 

+ she is earning some extra $$ in Tokyo: Gold $37,500 and Silver $22,500

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The SEC didn't take long to promote the league did they? :)

The rest of the conference are probably thinking...

oh crap, are we going to have to deal with her for the next 4 years? 

Edited by AUBwins

I hope this encourages Konnor to come. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

The rest of the conference are probably thinking...

oh crap, are we going to have to deal with her for the next 4 years? 

This is quite interesting. Suni will elevate college gymnastics in general (first AA gold medalist ever to compete in college, right?). 

Technically, elite gymnastics is somewhat different from college gymnastics. Her strengths will benefit Auburn (beam and bars). She might even have to dumb down some routines (but she is planning to keep the Nabieva which would be a first in the NCAA). Floor will be interesting since many elites struggle with floor in college, initially (it’s more of a dance-type performance and less artistic in college). However, in the end they all enjoy it because it’s more fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUreo said:

This is quite interesting. Suni will elevate college gymnastics in general (first AA gold medalist ever to compete in college, right?). 

Technically, elite gymnastics is somewhat different from college gymnastics. Her strengths will benefit Auburn (beam and bars). She might even have to dumb down some routines (but she is planning to keep the Nabieva which would be a first in the NCAA). Floor will be interesting since many elites struggle with floor in college, initially (it’s more of a dance-type performance and less artistic in college). However, in the end they all enjoy it because it’s more fun.

Good take.  I was wondering if there was anyone in SEC to win AA but didnt think NCAA. That's awesome.  But it makes sense with the NIL not being around before.  This may very well be the thing that brings kids back to college to get a degree, which I think is a major win. 

4 hours ago, AUreo said:

You mean double medal winner? She hasn't won 2 golds yet. But I'm hoping....

Some more info on Suni and NIL. She will earn some serious $$ signing deals with big global brands such as Gatorade, Revlon, Kellogg, etc (just examples), etc. Biles made $4M and Suni’s future market value is comparable. AU will also benefit tremendously from Suni’s NIL deals. She is also open to compete at World Championships and Paris 2024 (she could be the face of the Olympic Games in 2024).

Suni coming to Auburn is a big deal for the athletic dept and university and probably the biggest event since Bo Jackson, Tim Cook becoming Apple CEO and the NC title in 2010, maybe even bigger. Auburn gymnastics will sell out arenas all over the country just because of her. 

She is the most famous incoming freshman in NCAA history (Michelle Kwan studied and trained at UCLA but obviously never competed in college).

- - - - -

‘Let’s talk 7 figures’: How Olympic gold impacts Suni Lee’s NIL earnings potential at Auburn

https://www.al.com/auburn/2021/07/lets-talk-7-figures-how-olympic-gold-impacts-suni-lees-nil-earnings-potential-at-auburn.html

“Let’s talk seven figures,” said Bob Dorfman, the creative director at Baker Street Advertising and a sports marketing expert. “It’s — yeah, this is huge… It’s the biggest event of the Olympics. It’s the most popular event.”

“You would think that all the sponsors would be jumping on her,” Dorfman said. “She could be the face of the Paris games if she sticks around…. There’s just lots of ways she can cash in right now.”

“She has been in contact already with Auburn’s compliance department, and Graba acknowledged that Lee will certainly need an agent to work with her on endorsement opportunities.”

“(It’s) probably bigger; bigger than that quarterback (Alabama’s Bryce Young) who hasn’t started a game — and I’m sure Nick Saban was kind of goosing that number just to get recruits,”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just hope she is able to do both. Come to Auburn and be the international star she is.  

Sounds like we will have her for at least a year (the really good opportunity spooks me a little to be confident in more than that). But she seems well grounded and I bet college is important with her upbringing.