Film Study Bo Nix

Tigerpro2a

Hey fam...stumbled up on this video on the interwebs and thought there was some good stuff. I jotted down a few notes as I watched. This is going to be make or break for Bo Nix as a QB this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts it together finally and really puts together a solid season with some good coaching, nor would it shock me if we see more of the same because it is just so entrenched in his QB DNA. 

IT is so frustrating to see a player with talent be as inconsistent as Bo Nix. You see plays like the drop to Seth in the IB where BN stood tall and delivered a strike as he got hit...then on the other hand you see in the same game Shed Jackson behind the D and all he has to do is hit him in stride and he throws an inaccurate pass because he doesn't set his feet.

Most of this is under the presumption that Bo keeps his QB 1 job going into start of season. I am not sold he does or doesn't. Leave it up to the coaches. 

If our OL coach can get this unit gelling early in camp and the first couple seasons so Bo gets some confidence it will go a long way. Most of the pass rushers just come right through untouched   (usually A gap with the center sliding over to help with the ongoing double team...might as well triple team that guy SMH). 

If Bobo and Harsin can get Bo more comfy in  the pccket in camp and early season this will go along way with helping the OL. These 2 go hand and hand. 

Bo has all the tools, but he has some seriously bad habits and lack of consistency. I hope he turns it on this year. I think that is best scenario for AU as a whole, but if not I am glad to know we have the exact opposite in TJF sitting and waiting. He is almost too comfy in the pocket.

You see these little things like not hitting open guys in stride can be the difference a QB being average or worse to being a Heisman Contender (Mac Jones was a good as I have ever seen with putting the ball where it needs to be to give his guys the best chance to make a play). That skill has made him a multi-millionaire. Even with the stud WRs Bama has had the last decade, if you can't put the ball where it needs to be it doesn't matter. They can bail you out some but not to the level of an NFL draft pick and Heisman finalist. 

I think scheme alone will be the biggest beneficial change to Bo. Competent coaches that have a real route tree and real CFB concepts with purpose and reasoning. Gus' HS offense lacked this horribly. 

Did the guy in the video say Bo has a strong arm? If not...he does lol. HE has a pretty good arm. He can make nearly any throw he would ever be needed to make if he sets his feet. I still marvel at that throw to Sal in the IB 2019. That was an NFL DIME. Best throw of BN career thus far. 

Bo has to stop staring guys down and seeing more of the field. Again I believe the new offensive scheme will help with this and I believe he will be taught to go through progressions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

You see these little things like not hitting open guys in stride can be the difference a QB being average or worse to being a Heisman Contender (Mac Jones was a good as I have ever seen with putting the ball where it needs to be to give his guys the best chance to make a play). That skill has made him a multi-millionaire. Even with the stud WRs Bama has had the last decade, if you can't put the ball where it needs to be it doesn't matter. They can bail you out some but not to the level of an NFL draft pick and Heisman finalist

Thanks for pointing this out 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

You see plays like the drop to Seth in the IB where BN stood tall and delivered a strike as he got hit...then on the other hand you see in the same game Shed Jackson behind the D and all he has to do is hit him in stride and he throws an inaccurate pass because he doesn't set his feet.

Yup.  He has the ability to be a good QB. He's shown it.  It'll all depend on can they break all of his bad habits, which probably isn't an easy task. 

• Like 1

That's an excellent video, thanks. When he squares up and steps into the throw he makes excellent passes. When he doesn't he is slightly behind the WR or high in some cases. Bo, Bobo and Harsin know how to improve the type of things in that video so they will either get it right in the off season or they won't. My guess is they will. 

What little of the spring game i saw, I thought he looked better with his foot work.

• Like 2

Matt is my younger cousin. He played QB at Prattville and then at Miss. St.

He does a good job of breaking down a lot of teams. If I am not mistaken, he is the radio voice for MSU and has a daily show. It skews toward MSU, but has a lot of good discussions.  He is spot on about Nix. Hopefully between Bobo and Harsin, we will see Nix have a breakout season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

Hey fam...stumbled up on this video on the interwebs and thought there was some good stuff. I jotted down a few notes as I watched. This is going to be make or break for Bo Nix as a QB this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts it together finally and really puts together a solid season with some good coaching, nor would it shock me if we see more of the same because it is just so entrenched in his QB DNA. 

IT is so frustrating to see a player with talent be as inconsistent as Bo Nix. You see plays like the drop to Seth in the IB where BN stood tall and delivered a strike as he got hit...then on the other hand you see in the same game Shed Jackson behind the D and all he has to do is hit him in stride and he throws an inaccurate pass because he doesn't set his feet.

Most of this is under the presumption that Bo keeps his QB 1 job going into start of season. I am not sold he does or doesn't. Leave it up to the coaches. 

If our OL coach can get this unit gelling early in camp and the first couple seasons so Bo gets some confidence it will go a long way. Most of the pass rushers just come right through untouched   (usually A gap with the center sliding over to help with the ongoing double team...might as well triple team that guy SMH). 

If Bobo and Harsin can get Bo more comfy in  the pccket in camp and early season this will go along way with helping the OL. These 2 go hand and hand. 

Bo has all the tools, but he has some seriously bad habits and lack of consistency. I hope he turns it on this year. I think that is best scenario for AU as a whole, but if not I am glad to know we have the exact opposite in TJF sitting and waiting. He is almost too comfy in the pocket.

You see these little things like not hitting open guys in stride can be the difference a QB being average or worse to being a Heisman Contender (Mac Jones was a good as I have ever seen with putting the ball where it needs to be to give his guys the best chance to make a play). That skill has made him a multi-millionaire. Even with the stud WRs Bama has had the last decade, if you can't put the ball where it needs to be it doesn't matter. They can bail you out some but not to the level of an NFL draft pick and Heisman finalist. 

I think scheme alone will be the biggest beneficial change to Bo. Competent coaches that have a real route tree and real CFB concepts with purpose and reasoning. Gus' HS offense lacked this horribly. 

Did the guy in the video say Bo has a strong arm? If not...he does lol. HE has a pretty good arm. He can make nearly any throw he would ever be needed to make if he sets his feet. I still marvel at that throw to Sal in the IB 2019. That was an NFL DIME. Best throw of BN career thus far. 

Bo has to stop staring guys down and seeing more of the field. Again I believe the new offensive scheme will help with this and I believe he will be taught to go through progressions. 

He also won't be playing for a coach who will do it his way... regardless if his plan is working or not.

• Like 2

Pretty clear that he doesn't trust his protection. Easy to say, well he had good protection on a given play and didn't make a good throw, but how many times before that was he running from an unblocked rusher? I don't think he makes footwork mistakes because he is nervous or afraid, I think he is hurrying because he is afraid he is not going to get a chance to make a play. Consistent pass protection will go along way toward improving Bo Nix's footwork. Paraphrasing what I once heard Pat Dye say, "You get enough pressure on em, they all just ordinary".

Don't know who will come out of the quarterback competition as the starter, but whoever it is will be working behind the same o-line. Let's hope they stay healthy and are improved.

• Like 3