Afghanistan: All that the U.S. Accomplished in 20 years with thousands of Casualties and over a $Trillion in Investment Will Fall to the Taliban Within a Few months.

CoffeeTiger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/08/10/afghanistan-intelligence-assessment/

Basically, Afghanistan's Government is losing faster to the Taliban than we thought they would a few months ago. Taliban are quickly taking provincial capitols, Afganistan's army is deserting and surrendering in droves, and the Taliban are simply taking all the weapons and military equipment America left the Afgan. Government. Kabul may fall within a couple of months and the U.S. Embassy will need to be evacuated.   

The Afghanistan campaign was an absolute disaster for America..all of the sacrifice and investment for nothing. 

Don't get me wrong, pulling out completely was 100% the right move as Afgan's government has shown that it just wasn't capable of supporting itself no matter how long America stayed to prop it up. 

it's just really sad to see. 

I never believed that we would be able to accomplish something that nobody else has ever accomplished by occupying that country.  The British have invaded the country 3 times, the Russians 3 times and every one of those conflicts ended the same way this one is ending.  They are easily defeated, but they know exactly how to become an infected sore that won't heal.  Over time, every occupying force has made the decision that the return is not worth the investment.  We had every right to attack them and bomb them into shreds.  I'm just not sure why we or NATO actually believed that this would end differently.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

#Whodathunkit

I mean, we fell for one of the classic blunders. The most famous is to never get involved in a land war in Asia.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

I mean, we fell for one of the classic blunders. The most famous is to never get involved in a land war in Asia.

So true....

On 8/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, AUDub said:

I mean, we fell for one of the classic blunders. The most famous is to never get involved in a land war in Asia AND/OR the Middle East

Yes Sir. Should be rules 1 & 2 in the State Dept.

Edited by DKW 86

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Yes Sir. Should be rules 1 & 2 in the State Dept.

No rule number 2 is the only slightly less well-known "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/13/afghanistan-taliban-advance/

Correction, it looks as if Afghanistan wont even hold out for 'months'. The larger, better armed Afgan army is completely crumbling and the Taliban now control 2/3 of the country. 

The Afgan army and government really isn't even putting up a fight. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/13/afghanistan-taliban-advance/

Correction, it looks as if Afghanistan wont even hold out for 'months'. The larger, better armed Afgan army is completely crumbling and the Taliban now control 2/3 of the country. 

The Afgan army and government really isn't even putting up a fight. 

Your last sentence sums it up.  I can't describe it as falling to the Taliban, considering the fact that there is little fighting in most areas as they bow and accept their new leadership.  The Afghan army that we built, along with the government we installed, clearly doesn't have the ability to govern by the consent of the Afghan people.  As such, I find it hard to justify placing U.S. troops in harms way simply to make the every day lives of Afghans better.  They have had over 20 years to see a better way.  If they begin training terrorists, we can eliminate that without troops on the ground.   Training anyone is difficult to do without electricity.

Waste of time money lives. If the Red Army couldnt win there, we should have left right after we paid back the Taliban for 9-11.

• Like 4

Taliban has gotten to Kabul, and I figure ISIS is on their way eventually. Hell of a choice there...

I hope we're able to get everyone of ours out alive, and our allies do the same for their folks as well, and then I hope we stay out of that pit.

Edited by SLAG-91
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, CoffeeTiger said:

vhpl78c2z3h71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

The only big thing that sticks out to me about them both is the crazy differences in US dead vs enemy dead. Both were highly in US favor.

Vietnam; US dead 58k - NV and VC dead estimated 700k(ish)

Afghanistan; US dead 2.4k - Insurgents (Taliban and other tards) estimated 60k dead

On 8/13/2021 at 2:55 PM, DKW 86 said:

Waste of time money lives. If the Red Army couldnt win there, we should have left right after we paid back the Taliban for 9-11.

Think you got it right, lot of us were hoping that's what we were going to do at the time as well. These people do NOT want to be 'like the US' Those people do not want to have our type government, be ruled by our type of laws, or live how we live. Afghanistan does 2 things really well, hide and bide their time. They never do well in their actual conflicts, always sustaining much larger casualties than the big countries that invade. But they won't be changed, ever.

Vietnam I of course wasn't around for, but I don't think Afghanistan is like Vietnam as I think we were right to go into Afghanistan (we just should have done it like DKW said). Whereas Vietnam I don't think we should have ever went, I also don't believe the US should ever have a draft unless we are invaded.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

From what they're saying, it's to make sure all our personnel and any Afghans who helped us can get out safely. If that's indeed the case, I agree with this, but they better get the troops back out quickly. We shall see.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

From what they're saying, it's to make sure all our personnel and any Afghans who helped us can get out safely. If that's indeed the case, I agree with this, but they better get the troops back out quickly. We shall see.

I agree if that's the case. We have already lost it. I'm hesitant that it'll be a quick withdrawal. I'm thinking the initial redeployment to hold on to what hasn't fallen. The drawdown has been a failed and tragic comedy.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree if that's the case. We have already lost it. I'm hesitant that it'll be a quick withdrawal. I'm thinking the initial redeployment to hold on to what hasn't fallen. The drawdown has been a failed and tragic comedy.

The decision that we could transform that country was the original tragedy that led to this.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The Biden administration is playing the fiddle as Rome burns.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

How long before another 9/11?...would you give it a decade?

They’ll just sit back and watch us fight amongst ourselves. The first 9/11 has done the job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

E323A805-B875-4029-A8B9-2816E7FF83A2.jpeg

Can’t disagree with this statement. Sad and tragic situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

E323A805-B875-4029-A8B9-2816E7FF83A2.jpeg

We've been sold a gigantic pile of s*** from our top brass regarding the ability or willingness of the Afghan National Army or Police to do anything to protect their own country, and I certainly don't think it was because our troops didn't try to train them.

This is a multiple administration failure come to an unfortunately predictable conclusion.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

We've been sold a gigantic pile of s*** from our top brass regarding the ability or willingness of the Afghan National Army or Police to do anything to protect their own country, and I certainly don't think it was because our troops didn't try to train them.

This is a multiple administration failure come to an unfortunately predictable conclusion.

Yep. Once started, no President wanted these images during their term— so it just kept going. 20 more years would have made no difference.