Harsin searching for 'clear cut starter' at QB

aubiefifty

First-year Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin brought a new offensive scheme with him to The Plains, and it’s taking some time for the quarterbacks to get adjusted. In the team’s scrimmage over the weekend, Tigers quarterbacks struggled with decision-making.

In his ‘National Scrimmage Report,’ 247Sports national college football analyst Blake Brockermeyer wrote about Auburn’s issues at the quarterback position. Harsin would like to have an established No. 1 option at the position this fall, as opposed to operating with a revolving door behind center. Interestingly enough, one freshmen signal caller might find a way to carve out a role for himself this fall.

“Harsin would like to see better decision-making by his QBs Bo Nix and T.J Finley as there were multiple interceptions,” Brockermeyer writes. “This could take some time as they transition to a new offensive scheme. He also noted he would prefer to have a clear cut starter at QB this season, and not a rotation. Harsin noted athletic freshman QB Dematrius Davis is progressing and has some swag. He made some plays with his legs. It would not surprise me to see him in a wildcat type package at some point this season. Davis is one of the best players in the history of Texas high school football.”

Speaking to reporters after the scrimmage, Harsin noted that the quarterbacks did some positive things. However, he emphasized that decision-making will be a main focus for those players moving forward.

"There’s some really good things tonight at the quarterback position," Harsin said. "I thought all the guys ran the ball well and did some things and threw the ball well at times. There’s plenty to correct. That will be the focus with that position moving forward this week is the decision-making process.”

For the past two seasons, Nix has been the starter for the Tigers, and he has produced mixed results. In 24 games, Nix has completed 58.7% of his passes for 4,957 yards, 28 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions. He’s also rushed for 701 yards and 14 touchdowns. As a freshman at LSU in 2020, Finley connected on 57.1% of his throws for 941 yards, five touchdowns, and five interceptions.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. C

• Thanks 1

What this tells me is I expect a revolving door the first three games and by Penn State we should have identified a starter. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DAG said:

What this tells me is I expect a revolving door the first three games and by Penn State we should have identified a starter. 

it could also be coach speak to light a fire under bo's behind. i would do it.

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

it could also be coach speak to light a fire under bo's behind. i would do it.

I don't believe in coach speak with CBH. I also don't think he will just pander for Bo. What should've lit a fire under him is when he bought in T.J. Finley. What I do think it says is that, there is not a clear cut favorite and just because someone has been here two years doesn't mean they will just get the nod. 

• Like 4

Bo Nix will be QB #1. As usual, coaches are pushing their top guys to up their game by saying the job is wide open. This one isn't wide open.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Let’s ride with Double D. Go ahead and start the future . 

I second this, but I don't dislike the idea of playing him situationally in the same manner that UF has done the last two seasons with Emory Jones. I believe DD probably has more upside that Jones does, but what UF has done seems to have worked so far. 

• Like 1

I think the title is misleading. The title reads as if all 3 guys were on equal footing as of right now he is searching for one of them to step up. This is the type of headline you would see when a 2 year starter is being replaced the following year. IMO Harsin was just answering the question about a two QB system honestly. 

BTW, I am not saying I think Bo is starter full season, but I do believe he is the clear cut starter right now and for the first few games.

• Like 6

Based on 1st scrimmage Bo and Finley did some good things and some bad things for Finley to beat out Bo he has to not just match BO but not have the bad things. To be honest I love DD but I didn't think he would even be considered this year. The last scrimmage it seemed like DD did the best however he was not playing against 1st team D.  He may have earned a few snaps with 1st Team O against 1st team D on this upcoming Friday scrimmage if he does get those snaps and does well with them it could make it interesting.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I'll be interested to see how much each one plays.  Second scrimmage Friday should tell us a little bit more.

I feel like the "Starter" going into game one and two will probably get the entire 1st half of both games. 2nd string probably all of the 3rd and into the 4th, 3rd string will probably get a drive or two in the 4th.

Maybe we get some change between the 2/3 guy in game two, but I'd have to imagine the "starter" will be the same for game 1/2 and the 1st half of the penn state game.

31 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I second this, but I don't dislike the idea of playing him situationally in the same manner that UF has done the last two seasons with Emory Jones. I believe DD probably has more upside that Jones does, but what UF has done seems to have worked so far. 

I'm interested to see a true package and not some bull**** like previous regime.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The last scrimmage it seemed like DD did the best however he was not playing against 1st team D.  He may have earned a few snaps with 1st Team O against 1st team D on this upcoming Friday scrimmage if he does get those snaps and does well with them it could make it interesting.  

If it's true DD is in protocol, we won't see him in Friday's scrimmage. Hope it's not that.

I also see him only being used in situational plays, to see how these type of plays develop. In the beginning, unless one them get hurt, it will be Bo and TJ for this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If it's true DD is in protocol, we won't see him in Friday's scrimmage. Hope it's not that.

Ugh, really?  I hadn't seen that.  

Edit: you know, I read that practice report yesterday and saw where DD wasn't in the QB rotation.  Thought it was weird Loy was being mentioned, especially after the scrimmage.

Pretty Cool we're in this position.  "Pros and Cons"

Edited by W.E.D

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Just in time for that starter to have to sit on covid protocol. 😂😂. This is going to be another fun vintage Auburn season!

• Haha 2

I think the competition for the starter right now is between Bo and Finley.  I wouldn't rule Finley out yet.  In the first scrimmage, both revealed the same weaknesses they had last year.  Finley will have to clearly outplay Bo going forward to win the job though.  But I do think DD can play himself into the starter's role as the season progresses. If they give him some game time situational reps (and I think they will), and he does well, who knows what will happen?  Gus didn't ever do that because he didn't want a QB controversy on his hands.  I don't think that will be an issue for Harsin.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think the title is misleading. The title reads as if all 3 guys were on equal footing as of right now he is searching for one of them to step up. This is the type of headline you would see when a 2 year starter is being replaced the following year. IMO Harsin was just answering the question about a two QB system honestly. 

BTW, I am not saying I think Bo is starter full season, but I do believe he is the clear cut starter right now and for the first few games.

Yes, this is just a columnist interpreting the presser we all saw, differently than some other reporters such as Green @al.com or Matthews @AUC. As I recall, I don't think the term "clear cut" was used by Harsin. I am quite sure he wants that but it sort of implies he doesn't have it yet. He likely already does.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Based on 1st scrimmage Bo and Finley did some good things and some bad things for Finley to beat out Bo he has to not just match BO but not have the bad things. To be honest I love DD but I didn't think he would even be considered this year. The last scrimmage it seemed like DD did the best however he was not playing against 1st team D.  He may have earned a few snaps with 1st Team O against 1st team D on this upcoming Friday scrimmage if he does get those snaps and does well with them it could make it interesting.  

I am a big Harsin fan, but shame on him if DD is not going against the one's as well, you are trying to find a #1 QB that you feel good about he has 2 years of tape on Nix he should know by now if Nix is his starter or not, play the best guy....... 

• Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I am a big Harsin fan, but shame on him if DD is not going against the one's as well, you are trying to find a #1 QB that you feel good about he has 2 years of tape on Nix he should know by now if Nix is his starter or not, play the best guy....... 

You want Harsin to make the decision on who plays QB based on how they played in other offenses?? No thanks. Evaluate the QBs on how they are performing in THIS offense. What they did in previous schemes for previous should not be a factor IMO. 

I will agree i hope DD gets a chance to run against the 1s. If he is missing time due to covid protocols then i think his ship has sailed for this season unless he can get back real quick. DD was always the best athlete in the QB room so people should not be surprised about him making some eye popping plays in the first scrimmage. But making a couple of eye popping plays in no ways means he should be the starting QB. 

I think people are kind of running away with themselves on the whole DD thing. But i will say you cannot deny the smile Harsin got when he started talking about DD. No question that he sees something he really likes in the kid. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

ou want Harsin to make the decision on who plays QB based on how they played in other offenses?? No thanks. Evaluate the QBs on how they are performing in THIS offense. What they did in previous schemes for previous should not be a factor IMO. 

Oh wait, you want BO to start and play regardless of who the coach is?? Saban BO will start, Dabo BO will start/ I could go on and on naming other coaches and the sentiment would be the same for some of you, give me a break! I want a coach that will make leadership type decisions not frailing to a fan base or boosters to 1 player to the detriment of the team like we saw last year.

I would love to see what TJ and DD can do once we're up 31-7 at half time of the first two games.  

8 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Oh wait, you want BO to start and play regardless of who the coach is?? Saban BO will start, Dabo BO will start/ I could go on and on naming other coaches and the sentiment would be the same for some of you, give me a break! I want a coach that will make leadership type decisions not frailing to a fan base or boosters to 1 player to the detriment of the team like we saw last year.

Please explain how you know that this isn't the case?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I would love to see what TJ and DD can do once we're up 31-7 at half time of the first two games.  

don't be disappointed if it's the other way around and I want you to continue to be the loudest cheerleader as will I.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I didn't say it wasn't, but that I would hope that we have.

I believe that we do and will hold judgement until I see an actual game. This article is BS. From most all of the people that watched practice, it's not as bad as these writers are reporting. The article in this thread seems to be a lazy take, with a click headline, based off of what we have already read and some have debunked. I trust Xavier Dampeer's take. I want the best player to play at every position, including QB, and won't be upset if it's not Bo or DD! 

• Thanks 2