Post-game Thoughts

Zeek

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

If he was injured, why not play TJ?

Did I say he was injured to the point of being ineffective?

Some people seem to forget that he led his team down the field TWICE with the game on the line and gave us a chance to tie it up. Didn't get it done in the end, but yeah let's put all them blame squarely on the QB.

I keep hearing dropped passes. I can think of one by #0 when he was surrounded and in the air doing a whirlybird.

How many drops did y’all see?

How did I miss them? I wasn’t even drinking!

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I keep hearing dropped passes. I can think of one by #0 when he was surrounded and in the air doing a whirlybird.

How many drops did y’all see?

How did I miss them? I wasn’t even drinking!

Shedrick had at least 3 he should have caught.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Fastlax16 said:

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope this crew gets suspended.

Just so you know, most on this board do not believe that we lost the game because of officiating.

It was not a perfectly officiated game. I have not seen a team lose a down before. There were calls

against both teams that were not correct.

I think this game was about execution. PSU executed just about everything they tried and we didn't.

Good luck to PSU.

The 4th and 2 call and the first play call of the second half were the Ghost of Malzahn.  How long will it take us to shake whatever bad karma he left with us?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Just so you know, most on this board do not believe that we lost the game because of officiating.

It was not a perfectly officiated game. I have not seen a team lose a down before. There were calls

against both teams that were not correct.

I think this game was about execution. PSU executed just about everything they tried and we didn't.

Good luck to PSU.

IMO the difference was the Coaching.  Not so much the execution (which was poor except for a few offensive series where we ran heavily).  A’s for PSU and F’s for AU.  Mason in particular was severely outclassed. All night.  The scheme was the reason we were abused through the air, I think, more so than poor execution. My hat is off to Penn State for superb scheming and play-calling. Opposing quarterbacks are torching us for 78% completion rates but Sean Clifford’s 88% was the cherry on top. It was on Mason (not figuring out how to pressure, and stubbornly sticking with that zone) with kudos to PSU OC for perfectly exploiting it.  10-10 passing in the second half. Mason crapped the bed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Did I say he was injured to the point of being ineffective?

Some people seem to forget that he led his team down the field TWICE with the game on the line and gave us a chance to tie it up. Didn't get it done in the end, but yeah let's put all them blame squarely on the QB.

I thought you said that was the reason his long passes were off. I think that is ineffective.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought you said that was the reason his long passes were off. I think that is ineffective.

@Zeek mentioned the injury. Maybe he wants to expounded more on what he knows about it.

7 hours ago, rexbo said:

The 4th and 2 call and the first play call of the second half were the Ghost of Malzahn.  How long will it take us to shake whatever bad karma he left with us?

Weren't they, though?

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Pretty sure Moon shots were due to injury. Doesn't seem like he'd suddenly change his deep shot trajectory out of nowhere. Maybe an attempt to not over throw and let the receiver get under it? Agreed.

Here's what I'll say so everyone can have the screenshot and be pleased. Bo isn't elite. Bo isn't great. At this point I don't think he's going to ever be great. He's improved a lot but there's some stuff he just doesn't have. The deep ball accuracy isn't there and his inconsistent fundamentals will keep him from ever being a deadshot passer.

That being said. He's easily in the top 30 in the country with what he does bring to the table. He's at worst the 5th best QB in the SEC and we don't need him to be much better in order to win and win big. What he did last night was enough to win. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter when other aspects of the game aren't there. 

100% completions in the second half by Clifford is going to lead to a loss. No pass rush makes that even worse. Blown coverages (repeatedly) spells disaster. 

The reason I come to Bo's defense is because it often feels like he gets unnecessarily blamed the moment something isn't perfect. I know there's the homers who never attribute blame to him too. There are VERY few fans I find to be reasonably level headed enough to have a legitimate conversation about his game.

People don't understand an average to below average quarterback gets eaten alive by that Penn State defense. Bo is good but not great and that's okay. 

you are right that the lose is not on Bo. if we get even 15% pass rush or the coaches dont' call goofy plays at critical times we might have won.

your assessment is pretty spot on about Bo, but perhaps a bit optimistic. he cannot throw a good deep ball and he consistently throws behind the WRs. i was hopeful just the difference in staff and play calling was going to be enough to get us to a win here, but man, this was a complete team loss, save Tank and Hunter. those guys are studs.