Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

What's for Dinner?

cbo

I've already seen this mentioned in two different threads, so let's try a stand alone. I have no idea why, but I'm always interested in what people are having for dinner. 

Tonight's dinner at this house was pork tenderloin and veggie kabobs (pre-packed by Sam Walton's offspring) on the Traeger. 

The Traeger is a cheat code. As easy to use as an oven. No, it can't do the sear I desperately want. And you don't get as much smoke as you would on a real smoker. But I've never grilled or smoked as often and as easily as I have with this thing. It's a clear win. 

I cooked the pork too long. No pink. Still good, though. 

IMG_7706.jpg

• Like 1

I love my pellet smoker, too. I've got a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. I recently got rid of my stick burner bc it was just sitting there. My newest toy is a 36" Blackstone and I'm still learning on it.

I think I spot those sheet pans from Sam's too. I forget the brand but we've got several of them as well, and they're great.

Good thinking aggregating a What's for Dinner thread. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:49 PM, cbo said:

I've already seen this mentioned in two different threads, so let's try a stand alone. I have no idea why, but I'm always interested in what people are having for dinner. 

Tonight's dinner at this house was pork tenderloin and veggie kabobs (pre-packed by Sam Walton's offspring) on the Traeger. 

The Traeger is a cheat code. As easy to use as an oven. No, it can't do the sear I desperately want. And you don't get as much smoke as you would on a real smoker. But I've never grilled or smoked as often and as easily as I have with this thing. It's a clear win. 

IMG_7706.jpg

Reverse sear is your best friend when smoking chops. Use a thermometer or you can ruin some tenderloin quickly. 145* and rest it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Reverse sear is your best friend when smoking chops. Use a thermometer or you can ruin some tenderloin quickly. 145* and rest it.

I usually pull pork tenderloin at 140, tent with foil and let it come to temp. I like it pretty pink. Took my eye off the ball that night!

On 9/23/2021 at 4:56 AM, ValleyTiger said:

I love my pellet smoker, too. I've got a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. I recently got rid of my stick burner bc it was just sitting there. My newest toy is a 36" Blackstone and I'm still learning on it.

I think I spot those sheet pans from Sam's too. I forget the brand but we've got several of them as well, and they're great.

You know, I like your "What's for Dinner" title better. Off to change!

• Like 1

• cbo changed the title to What's for Dinner?
1 hour ago, cbo said:

I usually pull pork tenderloin at 140, tent with foil and let it come to temp. I like it pretty pink. Took my eye off the ball that night!

Eat if you cook it, right. I bet it was still very 😋 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, toddc said:

Eat if you cook it, right. I bet it was still very 😋 

Yep, I saved back some of the marinade to pour on top. Gave the illusion of juicy! No complaints from the family. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Shrimp scampi. Quick and easy.

Seafood stock.

2F386968-5A55-4988-9864-C91806708E36.jpeg

F8796C5E-ABEC-4CAB-99C2-E7FA50174D17.jpeg

That looks delicious. Can't go wrong with shrimp scampi. 

On 9/25/2021 at 10:08 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Shrimp scampi. Quick and easy.

Seafood stock.

2F386968-5A55-4988-9864-C91806708E36.jpeg

F8796C5E-ABEC-4CAB-99C2-E7FA50174D17.jpeg

Love the lemons in the stock. Never considered adding those!

On 9/22/2021 at 11:49 PM, cbo said:

IMG_7706.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 7:56 AM, ValleyTiger said:

I'm going to get in the pellet smoker game at some point.

Did you do the rice on it, too??

Agreed, great thread.

Pizza night for us tonight. Y'all have already seen what that looks like lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

-Grilled chicken breasts and thighs marinated in Italian dressing

-elbow Mac with homemade alfredo

-quick boiled fresh green beans tossed in melted butter, cashews, honey, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

Easy.

Delicious.

Gone.

• Love 2

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Did I mention that I made boudin for the first time? Just to make boudin balls?

Well. I did.

57078AEF-8BBD-432D-8D18-B27E26118E77.jpeg

*record scratch*

Run that by me one more time?!?!?!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*record scratch*

Run that by me one more time?!?!?!

Yessir. Made pork boudin for the first time. Then rolled in panko and flash fried. Delicious!

This is all in preparation for our annual beach trip(except last year…thanks rona). We all take a night and cook. Our team always likes a theme night. So, naturally, we are going with balls, Schweaty balls. All food served will be in ball form. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yessir. Made pork boudin for the first time. Then rolled in panko and flash fried. Delicious!

This is all in preparation for our annual beach trip(except last year…thanks rona). We all take a night and cook. Our team always likes a theme night. So, naturally, we are going with balls, Schweaty balls. All food served will be in ball form. 

1) Holy crap that is amazing. Please share pics of your balls after the beach trip. 

2) Was the boudin hard to do? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1) Holy crap that is amazing. Please share pics of your balls after the beach trip. 

2) Was the boudin hard to do? 

Not hard at all, just took some time. I used this recipe off the web. I cut back on the poblano and jalapeño a bit, just cause I’m serving it to a bunch of people. Hindsight, I might would cut back just a hair on the salt, but with the rice it’s not bad at all. 
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240805/boudin-balls/

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Everything you said here blows my mind. 

We definitely need a follow-up from ball night. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Everything you said here blows my mind. 

We definitely need a follow-up from ball night. 

I will most definitely post pictures of my balls.

Er, the balls in peoples mouths.

Umm, the food balls.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I will most definitely post pictures of my balls.

Er, the balls in peoples mouths.

Umm, the food balls.

If nothing else, it will be a night of a million puns. 

Enjoy stuffing your balls in all those mouths!

• Haha 1

Homemade chicken noodle soup, easy weeknight version. One rotisserie chicken, one pound of egg noodles, 2 quarts of chicken stock, one container of store prepared mirepoix, a little olive oil, salt to taste. Get your big heavy bottom pot medium hot, add the oil, cook down the mirepoix, add the stock and bring to a boil, cook the noodles, debone the chicken while you're cooking the noodles, add the chicken, salt to taste. 

This is actually a really low broth ratio so I'm making a stock with the carcass and I'm going to add some of it back to the leftover noodles. 

Paired with grilled cheese sandwiches. Kids and wife were happy.

• Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made my pizza tonight. This is the one that our local pizza joint is gonna use for a month as a fundraiser. I really can’t believe how amazing it turned out.

Base is olive oil/white bbq sauce, shredded mozzarella, shredded smoked Gouda, caramelized onions, chopped smoked brisket, sundried tomato. Finished hot out of the oven with grated parm. I did make one with candied jalapeños added and would be a great pizza if you like the spice.

3699024C-00C5-49B9-A28B-5DFF0B8C5C71.jpeg

98E0C8DC-E6A9-4AAC-98F1-4ACB4891D5DC.jpeg

• Love 2

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Made my pizza tonight. This is the one that our local pizza joint is gonna use for a month as a fundraiser. I really can’t believe how amazing it turned out.

Base is olive oil/white bbq sauce, shredded mozzarella, shredded smoked Gouda, caramelized onions, chopped smoked brisket, sundried tomato. Finished hot out of the oven with grated parm. I did make one with candied jalapeños added and would be a great pizza if you like the spice.

3699024C-00C5-49B9-A28B-5DFF0B8C5C71.jpeg

98E0C8DC-E6A9-4AAC-98F1-4ACB4891D5DC.jpeg

Awesome. Is this “The Smokejumper”?

• Like 1