Gameplan for Rest of Season

AUght2win

Four wildly different games have given us a decent amount of info on Harsin and this team. Let me share my opinion on where we are and what we have to do going forward.

Truths after 4 Games:

1. This team's most important player isn't Tank Bigsby. It's Zakoby McClain.

The Auburn run defense was absolutely stellar in its first 3 games. Ricochet is out for a half and the absolute WHEELS fall off. When he comes back, we skunk them in the 2nd half. Pappoe is also an absolutely key piece. But we have no shot against anybody without Zakoby. This 3-4 scheme is dependent on those two, and the rest of our guys aren't SEC caliber. Oh, and Wooten played awful-awful-awful-AWFUL today. Don't want to hear about him anymore.

2. Mike Bobo will sink this team if Harsin doesn't intervene.

After the intense scrutiny of the 4th and 2 last week, Tank was not on the field for the final 4 plays today. And, believe it or not, Shedrick said post-game his route on the game-winner was originally... A FADE. 🤬🤬🤬 Absolute lunacy. Bobo called a horrendous game. If Harsin doesn't take the wheel we won't go bowling. And I am hoping Bobo is just a starter pack of an OC for CBH to get acclimated to the SEC.

3. Bo Nix is a bust. Officially. 

He has all the tools of an elite QB, except the most valuable one - the mind. Just doesn't have the composure, decision making ability, and frankly, desire to get better. We have to cut our losses and sell all the stock. Not being able to score a touchdown against Georgia State in year 3 is the absolute last last last straw. No more chances. Wish the young man the best, but his days as an Auburn starter (barring an injury) are done.

4. The defense is solid.

I know that sounds bizarre after today, but see point #1. I truly am not worried about the defense, aside from the pass rush. With our linebackers healthy, our talent on the back 2 levels will be enough for a solid unit. If we can generate a pass rush (how? No idea) then we actually have a very good defense. 

5. Harsin's mental toughness is evident. 

I know. I know. But winning today was still a feat requiring a lot of guts. And the gritty battle at Penn State is a testament to this as well. I don't think this same team, under Gus, would have come within 20 points against PSU. CBH is setting a good cultural foundation. 

6. Receivers are the team's weakest link.

Some might point to the defensive line, but at least the DL is solid against the run. Our receivers aren't solid in any phase of the game. They can't catch. They can't get open. They don't have speed. The cupboard is as bare in terms of receiver since 2008. Nothing we can really do about it but recruit. Hudson will be good. Capers and Cannion may have moments. But Gus' pass-ignorant system caught up to us just as he got the boot.

7. We may steal a few games with special teams play. 

Not exactly Beamer ball but we're blocking punts, getting good returns, and covering well. Could be a Harsin staple, as special teams excellence usually comes down to discipline and attention to detail.

8. CBH was a good hire. 

Avoiding catastrophe today helped me write #8. But even if we had lost, I still think what he stands for and preaches, and what his hire represents, could put Auburn back where we need to be and beyond. He is a tough, blue collar, no BS, "1-0, Show up. Give a sh*t. Repeat." Kind of guy. There will be growing pains. But the team has clearly bought into this dude. And pulling the royal prince of Auburn football in the 4th took stones. The guy wants to win against the best, and I believe he will.

WDE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Four wildly different games have given us a decent amount of info on Harsin and this team. Let me share my opinion on where we are and what we have to do going forward.

Truths after 4 Games:

The Auburn run defense was absolutely stellar in its first 3 games. Ricochet is out for a half and the absolute WHEELS fall off. When he comes back, we skunk them in the 2nd half. Pappoe is also an absolutely key piece. But we have no shot against anybody without Zakoby. This 3-4 scheme is dependent on those two, and the rest of our guys aren't SEC caliber. Oh, and Wooten played awful-awful-awful-AWFUL today. Don't want to hear about him anymore.

After the intense scrutiny of the 4th and 2 last week, Tank was not on the field for the final 4 plays today. And, believe it or not, Shedrick said post-game his route on the game-winner was originally... A FADE. 🤬🤬🤬 Absolute lunacy. Bobo called a horrendous game. If Harsin doesn't take the wheel we won't go bowling. And I am hoping Bobo is just a starter pack of an OC for CBH to get acclimated to the SEC.

He has all the tools of an elite QB, except the most valuable one - the mind. Just doesn't have the composure, decision making ability, and frankly, desire to get better. We have to cut our losses and sell all the stock. Not being able to score a touchdown against Georgia State in year 3 is the absolute last last last straw. No more chances. Wish the young man the best, but his days as an Auburn starter (barring an injury) are done.

4. The defense is solid.

I know that sounds bizarre after today, but see point #1. I truly am not worried about the defense, aside from the pass rush. With our linebackers healthy, our talent on the back 2 levels will be enough for a solid unit. If we can generate a pass rush (how? No idea) then we actually have a very good defense. 

I know. I know. But winning today was still a feat requiring a lot of guts. And the gritty battle at Penn State is a testament to this as well. I don't think this same team, under Gus, would have come within 20 points against PSU. CBH is setting a good cultural foundation. 

Some might point to the defensive line, but at least the DL is solid against the run. Our receivers aren't solid in any phase of the game. They can't catch. They can't get open. They don't have speed. The cupboard is as bare in terms of receiver since 2008. Nothing we can really do about it but recruit. Hudson will be good. Capers and Cannion may have moments. But Gus' pass-ignorant system caught up to us just as he got the boot.

Not exactly Beamer ball but we're blocking punts, getting good returns, and covering well. Could be a Harsin staple, as special teams excellence usually comes down to discipline and attention to detail.

8. CBH was a good hire. 

Avoiding catastrophe today helped me write #8. But even if we had lost, I still think what he stands for and preaches, and what his hire represents, could put Auburn back where we need to be and beyond. He is a tough, blue collar, no BS, "1-0, Show up. Give a sh*t. Repeat." Kind of guy. There will be growing pains. But the team has clearly bought into this dude. And pulling the royal prince of Auburn football in the 4th took stones. The guy wants to win against the best, and I believe he will.

WDE

CBH is frustrated as hell. I personally think he needs to get on his coordinators. I am deeply disappointed in CDM. I just knew we would have an insane defense, especially the secondary.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DAG said:

CBH is frustrated as hell. I personally think he needs to get on his coordinators. I am deeply disappointed in CDM. I just knew we would have an insane defense, especially the secondary.

I think he just has to get creative. I really do. Be like John Chavis' defenses at LSU and send a safety and a minimum of 5 bodies EVERY play. Only time we ever touch a QB is when we bring someone from the secondary like Smoke or Kauffman. 

There is too much talent down there to not be able to breath on the QB. If he can't figure out something he needs to be gone at the end of the year too.

I will say, though, idk what the hell was up with our tackling today in the first half. Worst since the 2011-2012 Chizik teams. Remember at Clemson where our guys would just reach out their arms and bounce off ball-carriers? I truly don't know what happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I think he just has to get creative. I really do. Be like John Chavis' defenses at LSU and send a safety and a minimum of 5 bodies EVERY play. Only time we ever touch a QB is when we bring someone from the secondary like Smoke or Kauffman. 

There is too much talent down there to not be able to breath on the QB. If he can't figure out something he needs to be gone at the end of the year too.

I will say, though, idk what the hell was up with our tackling today in the first half. Worst since the 2011-2012 Chizik teams. Remember at Clemson where our guys would just reach out their arms and bounce off ball-carriers? I truly don't know what happened. 

We made one of their RBs look like Mike Alstott. I couldn't believe it. With that being said, a quality win next week could erase all of this.

Just don’t see where everyone thinks the secondary is elite.   Monday (Sr.) still is out of position and can’t cover anyone on passes.   McCreary is the best corner and he isn’t playing like he did last year.   Pritchett is getting better and I don’t know who the others are.   They rotate so many it’s hard to keep track.   Pappoe and Zokoby are must on defense or it’s over.   
D line plays in spurts.  
offense is out of sync.  Don’t think there is an identity because the line is truly awful.   

• Like 1

I said this in another thread. Mason was on the sidelines during the second half. Both coordinators need to be on the field so everyone is on the same page and the players can receive direct coaching and communication from the coordinators. Once our miscommunications were fixed, the defense brought the wood.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

We made one of their RBs look like Mike Alstott. I couldn't believe it. With that being said, a quality win next week could erase all of this.

I'm telling you brother, watch the film on those runs, Wooten was beyond horrible. Would get washed down or fooled so easily then jog after the play. Steiner did okay, but can't see serious snaps either. 

• Like 1

On nix’s last series, he over threw the receivers on 1st and 2nd down. On 3rd down there showed tank looking to the side line for the play abs he just started shaking his head. I knew right then he wasn’t getting the ball. 3rd down play nix runs to the right abs throws the ball away. 4th down we punted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

I said this in another thread. Mason was on the sidelines during the second half. Both coordinators need to be on the field so everyone is on the same page and the players can receive direct coaching and communication from the coordinators. Once our miscommunications were fixed, the defense brought the wood.

Glad he stepped down from the box. I actually prefer that a lot more.

There are too many facets of a game, this game, but the old adage of winning the LOS goes along way in explaining our woes. At least, where it starts.  

To the OP, they had a FB run for 120 in 1st half.  Atrocious.  And I think Tank was missing due to his fumble the series before.  

To hammer home my point about the important of Zakony and Owen, let me breakdown how we allowed a walk-on at Georgia State to gain the most yards by an opposing RB in JHS since 2002... IN A HALF, no less.

Play 1. Extremely wide trips set which is a giant stinking clue that they are trying to create a running lane on that side of the field. Obviously can't say for sure, but Wooten being the field side LB, he CAN'T have QB responsibility here. Nevertheless, he gets sucked in and there's nobody else at home. Guy goes literally untouched.

20210925_222405.jpg

20210925_222501.jpg

20210925_222637.jpg

Screenshot_20210925-221803_YouTube.jpg

Play 2. On both Steiner and Wooten, but mostly Wooten. Play is a simple read. Wooten reads it super slow and gets reached flat-footed by a lineman 6 yards down-field.

20210925_222738.jpg

20210925_222759.jpg

20210925_222824.jpg

20210925_222902.jpg

20210925_222950.jpg

I don't understand it.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 3

This has all tell tell signs of a classic Auburn season.  Start looking competent.  Close loss on the road against a good team.  Struggle against a team it shouldn’t, do something historical- beat LSU in Red Stick.  Play a top team close.  Get blown out against Arkansas.  Beat the Mississippi schools.  Dominate East opponent.  Win in College Station.  Beat a young Bama Qb at home.  Play a Big 10 team in Florida for New Years.  Point toward next season for redemption 

• Haha 4

I'll reserve my opinions on Harsin until after he deals with his coordinators.  If our offensive play calling does not improve, we will struggle to have a winning season.  Mike Bobo is no Kendall Briles or Jeff Lebby.  Either of those men would have this offense humming.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

This has all tell tell signs of a classic Auburn season.  Start looking competent.  Close loss on the road against a good team.  Struggle against a team it shouldn’t, do something historical- beat LSU in Red Stick.  Play a top team close.  Get blown out against Arkansas.  Beat the Mississippi schools.  Dominate East opponent.  Win in College Station.  Beat a young Bama Qb at home.  Play a Big 10 team in Florida for New Years.  Point toward next season for redemption 

When is the last time we got blown out at Arkansas?

#2 is a HUGE point. It's beyond me why Bobo was picked to team with Harsin. Nothing is innovative about Bobo. It looks much like when he was at UGA...dull and boring. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

#2 is a HUGE point. It's beyond me why Bobo was picked to team with Harsin. Nothing is innovative about Bobo. It looks much like when he was at UGA...dull and boring. 

I am hoping Bobo is just a starter pack. He is an SEC experienced guy that he is familiar with, who was available. Will help acclimate Harsin to recruiting and be a veteran coach who can help get the program's foundation laid. But I am hoping we are done with him after this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I am hoping Bobo is just a starter pack. He is an SEC experienced guy that he is familiar with, who was available. Will help acclimate Harsin to recruiting and be a veteran coach who can help get the program's foundation laid. But I am hoping we are done with him after this season. 

I was just hoping to see Boise St's offense with better talent. This looks like Bobo ALL the way. It was questioned by many from the start but I am willing to give it all a chance. It could be that since we're so limited at the QB position and not getting consistency from QB and WR it's hard to install a more diverse offense. I will give leeway that for most of our guys this is the first time they've been asked to "Think, Diagnose & Adjust if needed"  on offense and defense. It's probably more of a major adjustment than we know. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll take it this year!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

What have you smoked tonight? 

Georgia and Alabama might be historically bad losses. Arkansas is playing with heart and will smoke us. LSU is no good...but neither are we. If we are lucky we split the MS schools. I would hate losing to A&M because I don't think they are any good...but then again neither are we. South Carolina should be a win.  We really need an LSU win to feel comfortable about a bowl. An embarassing loss to Ogeron and we could be looking at 3-9 or 4-8. 

32 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My man I hope you are right. But those telltale signs aren't there.

If we can break the streak at LSU next week it'll be enormous. We aren't close to UGA or Alabama right now. We won't beat A&M without major improvement either. Might slip up and get to 6 or 7 wins but as things stand, this team is in big trouble. 

Then again, college kids are so volatile week to week. Maybe this was just a horrible, no-good day. But seems to me we have fundamental problems - like no deep threat in the passing game and no pass rush - that don't have any clear solutions.

Fundamental problems aren't going to get better.

I hate to keep bringing this back to Gus but most of our issues stem from years of his recruiting neglect.

OL will take years to fix unless we hit the portal hard this offseason. For all of the madness of the Chizik years he recruited some horses in the trenches. Not a coincidence the OL fell off a cliff once his guys aged out.

WR will not improve until at least next year when we either recruit better guys or the current guys have two full offseasons of coaching. If one of Stove, Schwartz, or Williams came back this year we're probably 4-0 right now. 

QB... who the hell even knows at this point? Bringing in Finley is the single best thing this staff has done in recruiting to date. At the very least it saved us from the worst loss in decades.

Bo looks like he's washed. I think it's a combination of the expectations and two years of rock bottom coaching. I'm not sure he can be saved at this point. You guys are going to laugh but I mean this in all seriousness... the dude needs to get laid. If that's not on the table he needs to sit down with a shrink Ted Lasso style and figure out what's going on between his ears. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

He has all the tools of an elite QB, except the most valuable one - the mind.

And pulling the royal prince of Auburn football in the 4th took stones. The guy wants to win against the best, and I believe he will.

WDE

Bo nix lacks a lot of tools.  He's probably about 6'0(6'3 is a joke), he has an average arm at best, and he's not accurate.  I never understood those who say bo has all the physical tools.  On the plus side, he's tough, he's a pretty good runner, and he's a quick-twitch guy(moreso than not).

He's unlikely to be going anywhere....Bo has made what- 27 or so starts so far at Auburn? He won't get the start next week, but barring 

TJ showing me stuff I don't expect him to show I believe he is the favorite to get the starts after this LSU game.  And keep in mind Bo still has 2 years of eligibility *after* this year.  I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Bo make another 30 or so starts at Auburn.  And if he does so he would have every career auburn record and then some.  

But he's also not the 'royal prince' of Auburn football.  That's a ridiculous thing to say.  Most Auburn fans don't love bo.  Most auburn fans understand he is so-so but we don't have a lot behind him.  And it certainly didn't take stones because he criticism had he not pulled him would

have been very high(especially if they lose).  

I'll be rooting for TJ saturday night, but I'll be going to the game the week after that against georgia in athens.....and I fully expect to see Bo starting against Georgia.

• Like 1

Truths after 4 Games:

4. The defense is solid.

8. CBH was a good hire. 

WDE

Agree with 2, 3 and six. Bo Nix needs to sit. He was and has been overrated since day 1. Enough is enough. Yes, i believe Bobo is and has been overrated as a play caller, head coach etc. Our wide receivers look way too pedrestrian. Not sure if they just can’t run routes or what. The fact that this game came down to the end, does nothing to endure we will three more games. Arky will kick our ass, but that was almost last year and OM, Bama, Ga and pick em, will lay waste to this team the way they are currently playing. Just not a good team at all. Hell the damn 3 man front ain’t working at all. No pass rush against real teams. Too much to be desired to even continue to discuss. 

Truths after 4 Games:

4. The defense is solid.

8. CBH was a good hire. 

WDE

And is there any reason for us to be better next year when Zakoby and likely Owen leave?