My opinion of the difference in the QB play

cole256

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Finley wasn't great, but he was better than Bo. 

Also, it feels like the team stepped up their play for him a little. Maybe they just responded to Harsin trying to provide a spark and the name on the jersey didn't matter. But it felt like there was a little bounce. Maybe not so much with the OL though...

Seemed the same with Hunter vs Tank, too. Could be my imagination.

I think there is still a lot of culture rebuild to be done tbqh.

Tank looked super frustrated to me

• Like 3

Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

So much knit picking but at the end of the day. Finley is the one who saved the day. That’s all that should be said. 

Not really. What happened Saturday doesn't matter. What happens going forward is what matters. And a lot more will be said, and rightly so 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm actually surprised this isn't done by somebody. I think right now our national pizzazz isn't too high though so people who do stuff like that hasn't done it for Auburn lately

Reminds me of the guy who was always saying "Bo Nix was a prodigy" and showing clips of him. What happened to that guy? 

56 minutes ago, The SandMntTiger said:

I haven't posted here in almost a decade (hello old friends). The only reason I'm posting today is to say IF TJ starts and plays, I hope he thrives (like I do with all Auburn players). I'll never understand any so called fan that spews vitriol towards an Auburn player regardless of performance. Use to be that kind of fandom was a Gump thing. I've never in my life as a fan wanted to emulate what a Gump would do. Btw, this is no directed at the op. Just Auburn fans in general. All that said if he's healthy I'd start Bo and wouldn't think twice. Mainly because if he's on he is by far the best option at QB. Also lets not forget Bo (and TJs) numbers in the last Auburn-LSU game.

Capture+_2021-09-26-11-00-36.png

Not to sound like a jerk, but I don’t understand the relevancy of last year’s game at all. 
1. Nix played at home while this was Finley’s first real road start iirc

2. Nix is usually good at home and sucks on the road (Finley was worse last season, just mentioning this bc this was game was at home)

3. Finley was a true freshman not even expected to play, Bo was in his second year 

4. Chad Morris honestly had a better scheme for Bo’s strengths than Bobo has shown to this point. And this game was the absolute best display of that. One read plays, constant RPOs, somehow (!!) higher percentage deep ball plays than we’ve seen in the past two games, etc. 
5. Auburn might’ve literally been better at every position than LSU except Cornerback. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seemed the same with Hunter vs Tank, too. Could be my imagination.

I've wondered this all season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Certainly fair points but Bo is not the same QB on the road. He wasn't even the Home QB that he had been yesterday. Neither of them are world beaters to date but I think TJ has to be given a shot at a start. Bo has been given ample opportunity and hasn't capitalized. The bottom line for me is which one the team rallies around. 

If certain players on the team play harder when one player is on the field then we have culture problem and those players need to be cut asap regardless of who they are. UGA plays just as hard wether J.T or Bennett. Same with the gumps. Whether it was Jalen, Tua, or Mac. The players played just as hard regardless. You rally behing whoever is on the field, if not you don't see the field. It's the only way forward. As for Bo's accuracy, does ge miss throws and struggle at times with the deep ball? Absolutely. However lets not pretend he is just absolutely horrendous. So far this year he's completing 61% of his passes and has thrown 5 TDs thrown ZERO ints. Has he had a couple ints dropped? Absolutely. Yet, if we are going to judge on passes that were dropped, Bo would be would also be completing over 70% of his passes with 2-3 more TDs. 

Again, if TJ starts, I'll be cheering hard for him. However, given our struggles in pass pro at times and the fact that LSU led the nation in sacks coming into this week, I'd start the seasoned veteran that has took care of the ball so far this year and can move around in the pocket. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not really. What happened Saturday doesn't matter. What happens going forward is what matters. And a lot more will be said, and rightly so 

Ahhh.

The classic Simba - Rafiki conversation.200w-1.gif.dad0ccb317b9e4f01a651de6209f9eab.gif

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What's interesting is this was the reason most insiders said Bo had the nod to get the starting job.

I think we’ll have to wait and see. When he was forcing things when stuff was breaking down, he was playing with a horribly performing run game and defense at LSU. he played smart when he seemed to trust his team around him. I can see why those tendencies would’ve returned in practice after looking at this OL yesterday…I imagine that’s the version they were playing with.

Still being young in his maturation here, he probably reverted to LSU tendencies. Picks, etc. One thing about Bo, he doesn’t turn the ball over 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Reminds me of the guy who was always saying "Bo Nix was a prodigy" and showing clips of him. What happened to that guy? 

He's probably frustrated like all of us lol. Not just Bo but overall

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He deserved to be. That was awful to watch.

I'm out of likes, but I emphatically agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

This is how I feel it looked THIS GAME. Bo isn't accurate. He didn't throw balls to his guy, he lobs balls to his target and when he tries to throw the ball sails on him. It's very simple, and it's clear as day. And when things start getting tough he's not where he needs to be with his fundamentals. Harsin sort of mentioned this indirectly.

Now these are things I have preached and pointed out over a year ago so I can't be accused of just jumping on a trend or anything. I got specific so clearly I see this. I said the thing about blaming it all on Gus is when a real offense with pro concepts gets installed it will be difficult to a guy who isn't good fundamentally.

Now one thing that was mentioned to me in different threads was the completion percentage......I've never been just a number guy, I think numbers can be manipulated by a person that's smart enough. You have to watch the game. Finley just throws the ball better, but this game in particular he had 4 throws that hit the hand or finger tips. I'm not saying they should've been caught because they were difficult throws but let's be real. He came in a game cold, team looks as if they are going to lose down, all the pressure in the world and he's not getting the reps. It's ridiculous to compare it and say well Bo was this number and he was that number and that's it. No his timing was slightly off and why wouldn't it be. But he knew where to go with the ball, which is the most important.

Also while discussing this, the skinny post that was just missed to canion I think.....that's a throw that a lob can't get to. Missing 6 inches to the right is much different than 2 feet to high in the air. They are both incompletions but let's not pretend they are the same as far as improving. 

Ok something else, I guess we can agree to disagree but Finley didn't look ancy at all, maybe the first couple of series but when it was we either do this or lose he looked his most calm. I don't see how you can be ice cold in that situation then a knock on you is you looked ancy. Not to mention all the pressures mentioned earlier. He kept his eyes down field and made at least 4 plays when under pressure....But the knock is how he looked under pressure? 

I have a few more points too but I don't want to go on and on on the first post, like how he won the game making a throw that Bo missed two td's on earlier.....but if anybody want to discuss let's.

Also if you do decide to discuss and if I reply back and don't agree, that's not a personal slight. No feelings need to be hurt. You can disagree and still respect each other.....that is missed on here a bunch

I think Finley deserves the start vs LSU. Dunno if he'll get it though.

Also, and this may be a fluke, but by that last drive I actually felt more confident in Finley when he was on the move compared to just standing in the pocket, whether that trend continues or not, who knows.

For Nix, and maybe this isn't fair, but it's how I've always thought. You can't teach arm strength. You can help a guy with reading defenses, making better decisions, accuracy through reps, etc. But arm strength, either a guy has it or he don't. Finley has it, Nix does not. 

TJ is the hero of this game and he deserves more reps in practice. One thing that was different on the last drive was the defense changed their coverage to a deeper one. That left the short throws open that Bo didn’t have in the game. TJ made them pay for that and showed more poise than I thought he had at this juncture. He’s got the better arm and with more time he’ll be a really good pocket passer. Having said all that I believe Bo starts next Saturday, but with an extremely short leash. I only hope this benching lights a fire under him to perform, or else he’ll sit! War Eagle 🦅 TJ Finley 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He deserved to be. That was awful to watch.

Somebody, Ican't remember who but it was somebody that I listen to, but anyway they said something about him shaking his head in frustration when it was a pass play or something like that

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I think Finley deserves the start vs LSU. Dunno if he'll get it though.

Also, and this may be a fluke, but by that last drive I actually felt more confident in Finley when he was on the move compared to just standing in the pocket, whether that trend continues or not, who knows.

For Nix, and maybe this isn't fair, but it's how I've always thought. You can't teach arm strength. You can help a guy with reading defenses, making better decisions, accuracy through reps, etc. But arm strength, either a guy has it or he don't. Finley has it, Nix does not. 

I think he has enough to play sound but the scrambling gun slinger style.....not close to being able to make those throws

2 minutes ago, The SandMntTiger said:

If certain players on the team play harder when one player is on the field then we have culture problem and those players need to be cut asap regardless of who they are. UGA plays just as hard wether J.T or Bennett. Same with the gumps. Whether it was Jalen, Tua, or Mac. The players played just as hard regardless. You rally behing whoever is on the field, if not you don't see the field. It's the only way forward. As for Bo's accuracy, does ge miss throws and struggle at times with the deep ball? Absolutely. However lets not pretend he is just absolutely horrendous. So far this year he's completing 61% of his passes and has thrown 5 TDs thrown ZERO ints. Has he had a couple ints dropped? Absolutely. Yet, if we are going to judge on passes that were dropped, Bo would be would also be completing over 70% of his passes with 2-3 more TDs. 

Again, if TJ starts, I'll be cheering hard for him. However, given our struggles in pass pro at times and the fact that LSU led the nation in sacks coming into this week, I'd start the seasoned veteran that has took care of the ball so far this year and can move around in the pocket. 

If a player comes in and gives the offense a spark then the others will rally around them. That's not choosing sides or a culture problem. They want to win and if they feel that someone may give them a better chance to win then I fully believe they will rally around him. That doesn't mean they will throw the other guy away. Good play is contagious as well as poor results. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

So much knit picking but at the end of the day. Finley is the one who saved the day. That’s all that should be said. 

The GSU coaches are the ones that saved the day for Auburn.  Almost 3 minutes left to play and 2 timeouts and they choose to play soft zone.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

The GSU coaches are the ones that saved the day for Auburn.  Almost 3 minutes left to play and 2 timeouts and they choose to play soft zone.

Hey GSU! Stop stealing our moves!

:lol: 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Somebody, Ican't remember who but it was somebody that I listen to, but anyway they said something about him shaking his head in frustration when it was a pass play or something like that

Someone cautioned that the GAST defense could pick up on a designated pass play because Tank would shake his head very noticeably in frustration. Anyway, I have not seen or heard commentary on this: why was tank so much less productive? I have not re-watched the game. Maybe they blitzed every time tank was in. Maybe all those plays had the O blocking the wrong scheme. But he had a hard time making it to the line of scrimmage. 

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think we’ll have to wait and see. When he was forcing things when stuff was breaking down, he was playing with a horribly performing run game and defense at LSU. he played smart when he seemed to trust his team around him. I can see why those tendencies would’ve returned in practice after looking at this OL yesterday…I imagine that’s the version they were playing with.

Still being young in his maturation here, he probably reverted to LSU tendencies. Picks, etc. One thing about Bo, he doesn’t turn the ball over 

Those were Auburn insiders speaking of the race during fall camp. Believe from camp/scrimmage observations 

I do agree he did poorly at LSU when the OL was bad and threw picks

Edited by W.E.D

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is true. Even in this game, tank gained 6 yards on second down and it was third and 4. Bo and tank were looking at the sideline for the next play. When the call came in from the sideline, you could tell that tank was upset and put his head down. I told my brother they are about to throw it for sure, and they did. Someone can probably find it in the game film.

He is not happy. The OL has been horrendous. I will say that he has to hold onto the football though… We were on a game winning drive when he fumbled. We were lucky to get the ball back.

Edited by gr82b4au

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is true. Even in this game, tank gained 6 yards on second down and it was third and 4. Bo and tank were looking at the sideline for the next play. When the call came in from the sideline, you could tell that tank was upset and put his head down. I told my brother they are about to throw it for sure, and they did. Someone can probably find it in the game film.

He is not happy. The OL has been horrendous. I will say that he has to hold onto the football though… We were on a game winning drive when he fumbled. We were lucky to get the ball back.

That's kinda disappointing. I love yhe competitiveness in him. But he can't get the ball every play and he can't tip off other teams.

If randoms at the stadium or watching on TV see it so will opposing coaches and players

Edited by W.E.D

This past game made me lose hope in Bo, all he had to do IMO was make the easy throws and hit a couple deep balls. I'm glad he got benched, seems like the team appreciated giving tj a shot..

That being said, our line was extremely weak and it won't matter who starts. Not really looking forward to going to uga game.