College GameDay crew motivates Auburn

aubiefifty

247sports.com

College GameDay crew motivates Auburn in win over Ole Miss

ByNathan King
3-4 minutes

Highlights: No. 10 Ole Miss at No. 18 Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama — Jaylin Simpson wasn’t going to let the College GameDay crew get away with it again.

At the tail end of ESPN’s popular Saturday morning special, all five participating panelists picked the Rebels to go into Jordan-Hare Stadium and beat Auburn, which closed as a 3-point favorite.

Simpson wasn’t watching at the time as he prepared for his own game day, but he saw the screenshot later in the day on his various social media timelines. Soon enough, the “disrespect” was being picked up on by his teammates.

As Simpson, who picked off Matt Corral in the end zone for only the second interception of the season for the Ole Miss quarterback in Auburn’s 31-20 win Saturday night, recalled, College GameDay all picked against Auburn before it beat LSU and Arkansas on the road earlier this month, too.

“It's crazy because it's the same thing they did to us …,” Simpson said.

But it wasn’t just providing motivation for the Tigers in the buildup to Saturday’s SEC West showdown. Simpson said he was so fired up about the lack of confidence for Auburn in another SEC game that he reminded his teammates in defensive huddles about what the expectations were for Auburn against the Rebels.

“A few times when they were close to scoring I kept reminding guys about what they said about us on GameDay,” Simpson said. “Not one of those people had us winning.”

Simpson wasn’t alone in his fiery approach to the slight on national TV. Plenty of players shared the screenshot in the hours leading up to the game, the most popular being Zakoby McClain, posted the screenshot with the caption “Bet.” By the end of the night, after the win, even more joined in, including the official Auburn football account.

“I feel like everybody always looks down on (us),” cornerback Roger McCreary said postgame, “saying Auburn’s not going to win. We’re always the low guys, so I feel like that always hypes us up — like OK, it’s nothing new to us.”

Whatever the source of Auburn’s fire against Ole Miss, it worked. The offense set the stage with four touchdowns in the first half, and the defense held Ole Miss to just a field goal in the second half and stopped three fourth-down attempts, all of which came in the red zone.

Auburn has now won six straight games over Ole Miss, tied for the program’s longest active streak against an SEC opponent (Arkansas), and is firmly in second place in the division ahead of a trip to Texas A&M next weekend.

“We just come out and play what we do, and that’s what we did, McCreary said. “We proved everybody wrong today.”

The Tigers hope College Gameday has learned its lesson about picking against them. But even if they haven’t, it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Auburn. Clearly, the Tigers have shown they’re resourceful in finding added motivation.

“I bet they won’t do that again, though,” McCreary said with a smile.

3COMMENTS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope they didn't learn and pick against us next week too 😁 also please stay away from Texas A&M game next week, we don't want you there lol. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Good they aren't coming to Texas A&M, College GameDay headed to Cincinnati, OH for Cincinnati vs. Tulsa

Such a bigger game...

• Haha 8

tulsa? hell the only thing i have ever heard about tulsa is the song living on tulsa time.................

Pretty simple. They were probably planning on visiting Cincinnati for SMU, but SMU losing to Houston and Michigan State beating Michigan changed plans--Michigan State visits Ohio State the same day. So, only one ranked v. ranked matchup next week, so as good a time as any to cover Cincy.

Edited by AUwent

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

tulsa? hell the only thing i have ever heard about tulsa is the song living on tulsa time.................

For perspective, if memory serves, the pinnacle of Tulsa football occurred when Malzahn and Herb Hand were co-coordinators.....

WDE!

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
247sports.com

College GameDay crew motivates Auburn in win over Ole Miss

ByNathan King
3-4 minutes

Highlights: No. 10 Ole Miss at No. 18 Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama — Jaylin Simpson wasn’t going to let the College GameDay crew get away with it again.

At the tail end of ESPN’s popular Saturday morning special, all five participating panelists picked the Rebels to go into Jordan-Hare Stadium and beat Auburn, which closed as a 3-point favorite.

Simpson wasn’t watching at the time as he prepared for his own game day, but he saw the screenshot later in the day on his various social media timelines. Soon enough, the “disrespect” was being picked up on by his teammates.

As Simpson, who picked off Matt Corral in the end zone for only the second interception of the season for the Ole Miss quarterback in Auburn’s 31-20 win Saturday night, recalled, College GameDay all picked against Auburn before it beat LSU and Arkansas on the road earlier this month, too.

“It's crazy because it's the same thing they did to us …,” Simpson said.

But it wasn’t just providing motivation for the Tigers in the buildup to Saturday’s SEC West showdown. Simpson said he was so fired up about the lack of confidence for Auburn in another SEC game that he reminded his teammates in defensive huddles about what the expectations were for Auburn against the Rebels.

“A few times when they were close to scoring I kept reminding guys about what they said about us on GameDay,” Simpson said. “Not one of those people had us winning.”

Simpson wasn’t alone in his fiery approach to the slight on national TV. Plenty of players shared the screenshot in the hours leading up to the game, the most popular being Zakoby McClain, posted the screenshot with the caption “Bet.” By the end of the night, after the win, even more joined in, including the official Auburn football account.

“I feel like everybody always looks down on (us),” cornerback Roger McCreary said postgame, “saying Auburn’s not going to win. We’re always the low guys, so I feel like that always hypes us up — like OK, it’s nothing new to us.”

Whatever the source of Auburn’s fire against Ole Miss, it worked. The offense set the stage with four touchdowns in the first half, and the defense held Ole Miss to just a field goal in the second half and stopped three fourth-down attempts, all of which came in the red zone.

Auburn has now won six straight games over Ole Miss, tied for the program’s longest active streak against an SEC opponent (Arkansas), and is firmly in second place in the division ahead of a trip to Texas A&M next weekend.

“We just come out and play what we do, and that’s what we did, McCreary said. “We proved everybody wrong today.”

The Tigers hope College Gameday has learned its lesson about picking against them. But even if they haven’t, it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Auburn. Clearly, the Tigers have shown they’re resourceful in finding added motivation.

“I bet they won’t do that again, though,” McCreary said with a smile.

3COMMENTS

They need to start showing actual results of their picks week to week.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

They usually do.

Wow, guess I missed that. I have seen them show Bears results but don’t remember the others. Will definitely watch to see what they say about Auburn.

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

They did give us Gus ...

Just saying.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I think you are just trying to start something.

😁