Will We Ever Learn? It’s Time!!!!

autigeremt

Excellent post autigeremt. I agree with you 100% and expressed comments along the same line in a post on another thread. 

"Harsin took on the challenge of this tough job when others wouldn't because it was 'apparently' too tough for them. My thinking is the least we can do is give the guy a chance to be successful and support him during the process of trying to do that. We're not in the 4th year of his contract, we're in the first year.

By this time next year we will have a state of the art football performance facility (finally), to go with the already excellent player housing, a great dining facility for them, a fantastic fan base and a second to none home game atmosphere, all for the brand new coach and staff to use. That's everything a football program needs to be competitive except for a state of the art stadium which will just have to wait. So try to be patient and let this thing play out in an orderly manner."

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Here’s something I am hearing and noticing on campus and in the Auburn community at large and I have an opinion to share if you don’t mind. 

A lot of us are getting close to the edge of total and utter apathy. Not just about Auburn Football (root cause) but Auburn Athletics and Auburn University at large. There’s a series of events leading to this that will hopefully rectify itself soon but it takes a family coming together to make it happen. 

In a few weeks Auburn will announce a new President. I personally can’t wait for it to happen as we need a fresh, consistent voice of reason and leadership coming from Samford Hall. We also need some impassioned direction from Athletics. Whether that’s from AD Green or someone else it needs to happen sooner rather than later. 

In addition, it is past time that we stop acting like petulant children stomping our feet and screaming to the top of our lungs “We Deserve Wins! We pay too much for too little! We need a new QB, a new coach or staff or a else!” We may want these things but we need to see the reason for it, acknowledging past coaching failures to address key components of the program and GIVE THIS MAN A CHANCE to write his own story. To coach the team and build a program. His way! Finally! If after three/four years it doesn’t work out then try again. We have barely done it since Coach Dye. Tubs was the closest thing….it led to 2004. Then he was sunk after one sub par season. 

Or else we continue to hopelessly meander our way from the bottom to the top and back to the middle of the SEC West for decades. 

War Damn Eagle! On this 7th day of December 2021…..80 years after one of the most horrific days in US history….can we finally rise above our own selves to embrace who we truly are and come back stronger than ever? 

Amen, brother. May it finally come to pass.

• Like 1

2022 will be a massive year for Auburn football. Will we even be competitive in Athens and Tuscaloosa? Get swept by Penn State at home? 

CBH knows he has to make a splash next season with the new prez and possibly new AD.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Here’s something I am hearing and noticing on campus and in the Auburn community at large and I have an opinion to share if you don’t mind. 

A lot of us are getting close to the edge of total and utter apathy. Not just about Auburn Football (root cause) but Auburn Athletics and Auburn University at large. There’s a series of events leading to this that will hopefully rectify itself soon but it takes a family coming together to make it happen. 

In a few weeks Auburn will announce a new President. I personally can’t wait for it to happen as we need a fresh, consistent voice of reason and leadership coming from Samford Hall. We also need some impassioned direction from Athletics. Whether that’s from AD Green or someone else it needs to happen sooner rather than later. 

In addition, it is past time that we stop acting like petulant children stomping our feet and screaming to the top of our lungs “We Deserve Wins! We pay too much for too little! We need a new QB, a new coach or staff or a else!” We may want these things but we need to see the reason for it, acknowledging past coaching failures to address key components of the program and GIVE THIS MAN A CHANCE to write his own story. To coach the team and build a program. His way! Finally! If after three/four years it doesn’t work out then try again. We have barely done it since Coach Dye. Tubs was the closest thing….it led to 2004. Then he was sunk after one sub par season. 

Or else we continue to hopelessly meander our way from the bottom to the top and back to the middle of the SEC West for decades. 

War Damn Eagle! On this 7th day of December 2021…..80 years after one of the most horrific days in US history….can we finally rise above our own selves to embrace who we truly are and come back stronger than ever? 

I have a feeling that Florida is approaching FSU status very fast, Jim Harbaugh, Dabo, Mark Stoops are all benefiting from an administration that believe in the head coach vision, we must do the same.

• Like 2

I agree!!! I am so sick of the whining and complaining and the Veruca Salt “I want it now!” crowd.  We aren’t being fair to the coach.  Well, actually, it’s probably a small minority of the fan base whining and complaining. It’s usually the same 30-40 people on all the websites.  🙄 

image.png

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Barely done it since coach Dye?  We have won a national championship and played for another in the past 11 years.  There is nothing about 2004 that makes it more remarkable than 2010 or 2013.  It was a great year and the team was loaded with talent.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Barely done it since coach Dye?  We have won a national championship and played for another in the past 11 years.  There is nothing about 2004 that makes it more remarkable than 2010 or 2013.  It was a great year and the team was loaded with talent.

He was talking about barely giving the HC a chance to build, not NC caliber seasons. Reread his post,  you might have missed more than that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think there is a difference between being upset with some extremely stupid coaching decisions, playcalling, hires then fires, losing to teams we shouldn’t, setting records blowing big leads, recruiting  Etc. etc. etc.… than not giving a coach a chance.

I’m sure he will get at least three years, if they resemble this past season, he’ll be gone, that’s all some of us are saying.

To shorten it: one can be upset with incompetence, yet still support the overall mission.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He was referring to giving the head coach a chance I believe. Even so, I disagree. I believe Tubs was headed in a clear direction. Chiz had to be fired after 2012. No ifs ands or buts, and Gus was given too much time. I will agree that I don't think all channels were on the same page with any of those guys though. So in that since, I agree.

Edited by Tigerpro2a

7 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I agree!!! I am so sick of the whining and complaining and the Veruca Salt “I want it now!” crowd.  We aren’t being fair to the coach.  Well, actually, it’s probably a small minority of the fan base whining and complaining. It’s usually the same 30-40 people on all the websites.  🙄 

image.png

Our last coach floundered around Auburn for nearly a decade before we parted ways. His predecessor was only fired because he had completely lost control of the program to an alarming degree. The guy before that had about a decade to get his program going. 

Harsin will get his time, but he's also got to show results. He won't get forever. 

Guest MustardSeed
3 hours ago, gr82be said:

He was talking about barely giving the HC a chance to build, not NC caliber seasons. Reread his post,  you might have missed more than that. 

Hmmm…Chizik got 4 year…Bowden got 6…Malzahn got 8, Tubbs got 10, Dye got 12 and that’s out entire list over the last 40 years. Who didn’t get the chance to build?  Chizik is th only argument and he lost all control of the team and had to be let go do multiple reasons. Are we actually claiming fans on a message board are affecting whether a coach has a chance to build his program?  And even if somehow that answer is yes, then every coach in the last 40 years has still had the chance to build their program, right?  Guess I missed this entire point because it doesn’t add up to me. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MustardSeed

I think we're all willing to give Coach Harsin his shot at building his version of the Auburn Football program his way.  

:hellyeah: for OP's passion on the subject.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Hmmm…Chizik got 4 year…Bowden got 6…Malzahn got 8, Tubbs got 10, Dye got 12 and that’s out entire list over the last 40 years. Who didn’t get the chance to build?  Chizik is th only argument and he lost all control of the team and had to be let go do multiple reasons. Are we actually claiming fans on a message board are affecting whether a coach has a chance to build his program?  And even if somehow that answer is yes, then every coach in the last 40 years has still had the chance to build their program, right?  Guess I missed this entire point because it doesn’t add up to me. 🤷‍♂️

His post seemed easy enough to understand the meaning to me. If you don't agree then okay. If fans don't have any weight in what goes on then we might be talking about Coach Steele right now instead of Harsin. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

In a few weeks Auburn will announce a new President. I personally can’t wait for it to happen as we need a fresh, consistent voice of reason and leadership coming from Samford Hall.

I agree with all of your post, with the exception of the above.  I think we will sorely miss Gouge when he fully retires.  All of our recent issues stem from after he retired the first time, and are being fixed in his temporary tenure now.  Jay has been a great president for Auburn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I agree with all of your post, with the exception of the above.  I think we will sorely miss Gouge when he fully retires.  All of our recent issues stem from after he retired the first time, and are being fixed in his temporary tenure now.  Jay has been a great president for Auburn.

It wasn't a shot at Jay at all! I have enjoyed him being here....but we all know he wasn't supposed to be here for a second time and we need stabilization under the current circumstances. 

• Like 2

I agree that Jay Gouge has been an excellent president of Auburn University.  I hope the BOT will find a great hire to step in and continue the good work that is being done now at Auburn.  

From my experience, new presidents are a crap shoot. Muse, Leath and Funderburk were all disasters of different stripes, some of their own making and others out of circumstance and the prevailing power dynamic of the BOT.

47 minutes ago, happyeagle said:

I agree that Jay Gouge has been an excellent president of Auburn University.  I hope the BOT will find a great hire to step in and continue the good work that is being done now at Auburn.  

IIRC. Word around campus is they're looking at the Dean of COSAM.

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

IIRC. Word around campus is they're looking at the Dean of COSAM.

Balancing the intangible qualifications of a new president is a tricky business. Alums and the old guard will want a candidate that knows and understands Auburn. That is how you end up with a Hanley Funderburk. But the academic community is always hell-bent on new blood with no ties to the AU political ecosystem. That is how you end up with a Steven Leath. 

7 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I am 53 and I still don't know or understand what a "built" football program is at Auburn. I started going to games in 1988  which is when i fell in love with the place and during that time we have had wonderful memories, exciting times, plays of the centuries, a short span of killing the jammers ( thanks Tubs) But having a solid year after year after year being in the hunt for a natty I haven't experienced. I read a lot about "getting back" to Auburn football but what is the  true meaning Auburn football? Now believe me this is no dig or stick in the eye about our school. God knows the thousands I have spent over the years supporting this program and that is not even a 1/100 th of what most guys here have spent, mainly because i am poor, maybe i am just lost and need a little direction from my AU family.

• Like 1

Short answer…….Pat Dye BUILT AU Football in the 80’s and it was a mess when he started. JMHO 

22 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

I am 53 and I still don't know or understand what a "built" football program is at Auburn. I started going to games in 1988  which is when i fell in love with the place and during that time we have had wonderful memories, exciting times, plays of the centuries, a short span of killing the jammers ( thanks Tubs) But having a solid year after year after year being in the hunt for a natty I haven't experienced. I read a lot about "getting back" to Auburn football but what is the  true meaning Auburn football? Now believe me this is no dig or stick in the eye about our school. God knows the thousands I have spent over the years supporting this program and that is not even a 1/100 th of what most guys here have spent, mainly because i am poor, maybe i am just lost and need a little direction from my AU family.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Short answer…….Pat Dye BUILT AU Football in the 80’s and it was a mess when he started. JMHO 

ok I see i looked at the stats. should have done that to begin  with, 80 and 81 we were 5 and 6 both years then then 82 through 89 we went 9/3, 11/1, 9/4, 8/4, 10/2, 9/1, 10/2, 10/2, One hell of a run there. I was 14 in 1982 and I believe that's when the hype started and i got to go to my first game around then. Thank you Mr. War Tim that's exactly what i was looking for.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

ok I see i looked at the stats. should have done that to begin  with, 80 and 81 we were 5 and 6 both years then then 82 through 89 we went 9/3, 11/1, 9/4, 8/4, 10/2, 9/1, 10/2, 10/2, One hell of a run there. I was 14 in 1982 and I believe that's when the hype started and i got to go to my first game around then. Thank you Mr. War Tim that's exactly what i was looking for.

And that's the only run like that in program history, other than the abbreviated version under Tubs (during some of the lowest years in our in-state rival's history) that you touched on. So you're not wrong in your initial premise.

I think maybe "what Auburn football is supposed to be" is sort of a state of mind that we have where we've always felt that we should beat most teams on our schedule and we should have a puncher's chance against all of them. That was the case for almost 40 years- I mean, even 2012 turned into 2013- and that's the feeling that has eroded in the last couple years. IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1