If We Can Keep Tank

AUght2win

We can survive. Much more crucial piece than Bo, IMO. And in the wake of Bo leaving, it would stop the bleeding. 

If not, things will look bleaker than they have since 2012. A place like Auburn losing its star halfback and star QB due to transfer? A headline like that, you'd think our program just got the death penalty. Something is terribly, terribly awry if we can't keep 2 premiere starters, essentially the faces of our program.

Unprecedented stuff. Got to say, not a fan of the portal. 

• Like 3

I disagree. If they want to leave, let them. I’d rather have somebody that wants to be there. It’s not the end of the world. 2 players do not make a team. 

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

We will survive with or without Tank and same with Bo. Both of these guys need to make the best decision for them. Tank has a business decision to make because he is heading to the NFL after next season and whatever decision he makes, I will always pull for him. 
I feel like this staff has it in control. 

I despise the portal.  Teams like bama, uthuga, osu, teams already loaded won't be affected, especially, bama who turns over 10 guys a year they don't need.  For those of us fighting for scraps, one or two guys and the whole dynamic on that side of the ball changes, and you really can't be sure what you have for the season until after May 1st.  I'm happy the kids can get money they earned and not see it go to the NCAA, but this portal is just too loose right now.  Of course, the portal is our hope for a better year so I guess, I just argued both sides of the issue.  I don't know whether to hate it or love it.  crap

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

I disagree. If they want to leave, let them. I’d rather have somebody that wants to be there. It’s not the end of the world. 2 players do not make a team. 

Take Cam Newton and Nick Fairley off the 2010 team, then. 

The reality is you can't just trudge on without your stars. Especially if they're leaving voluntarily due to transfer. We have to understand we are a 6-6 team without any instant impact recruits coming in as of the moment. 

We are on the edge of falling into a hole. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

The only thing is, it is too easy the way it is now.  No way to quantify this, but just for reference, two of the statues at Auburn wouldn't be there if the portal was like this back then.  Kids get beat out, fine just transfer, coach being a meany, transfer, gotta run stadiums, transfer.  That is my only concern with Harsin, he is tough and demanding.  We aren't at that level where kids come to get to the NFL, so many will make an emotional decision, that if the portal wasn't so wide open, would have to suck it up.   Barkley and Bo would've been gone before the coaches could talk them out of it.  Just like them, often times it helps a person for life, to work hard, and overcome instead of running.  Time will tell I guess

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We can survive. Much more crucial piece than Bo, IMO. And in the wake of Bo leaving, it would stop the bleeding. 

If not, things will look bleaker than they have since 2012. A place like Auburn losing its star halfback and star QB due to transfer? A headline like that, you'd think our program just got the death penalty. Something is terribly, terribly awry if we can't keep 2 premiere starters, essentially the faces of our program.

Amen!

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's just one year that wasn't going to be very good anyway. 

The future starts now. Onward. 

Losing your starting QB and RB, to transfer, at a place like Auburn doesn't make sense outside a serious rift between staff and players. But, the odd thing is both stayed and played this year. 

If they had both left right after Harsin was named coach, I'd be a little less worried. "Oh, they just aren't going to give a new coach a chance or aren't sold on his way of doing things. That's understandable."

But this is leaving after a year in the system. That's not a great sign. And I can't imagine it inspires confidence in the locker room.

Tank seems to be a much more liked player than Bo in the building. If he goes, I'm seriously concerned. 

Some of y'all really need to step back from the ledge. You're taking this way too personal.

Bo is gone. Wish him well and be done.

Tank is "supposedly" considering leaving. If he does, wish him well and be done.

Auburn football will survive transfers.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, selias said:

Some of y'all really need to step back from the ledge. You're taking this way too personal.

Tank is "supposedly" considering leaving. If he does, wish him well and be done.

Define "survive". Yes, they'll hold games at JHS next fall and field a team. But it could be a 4-8 team. It could mean CBH's credibility is undercut and he is canned.

You guys have too many empty platitudes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, USATiger said:

The only thing is, it is too easy the way it is now.  No way to quantify this, but just for reference, two of the statues at Auburn wouldn't be there if the portal was like this back then.  Kids get beat out, fine just transfer, coach being a meany, transfer, gotta run stadiums, transfer.  That is my only concern with Harsin, he is tough and demanding.  We aren't at that level where kids come to get to the NFL, so many will make an emotional decision, that if the portal wasn't so wide open, would have to suck it up.   Barkley and Bo would've been gone before the coaches could talk them out of it.  Just like them, often times it helps a person for life, to work hard, and overcome instead of running.  Time will tell I guess

Excellent point.

28 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There was a poster on here that pretty much guaranteed that as long as Caddy was at Auburn, Tank would be at Auburn.   I hope he was right. 

I would hate to lose the leadership & experience next season with our schedule. 

• Like 1

Just now, JerryAU said:

There was a poster on here that pretty much guaranteed that as long as Caddy was at Auburn, Tank would be at Auburn.   I hope he was right. 

I would hate to lose the leadership & experience next season with our schedule. 

I remember that as well. The bottomline is Auburn is a tier 1 program in a tier 1 conference. You can accomplish the height of all the attainable goals in college football from Auburn.

If you're transferring, it should mean you weren't good enough to crack the lineup, and are finding a lower tier school for PT. 

To have the heart of our offense, 2 SEC Freshmen of the Year, 2 multi-year starters, just say "nah I'm leaving" is seismic, guys. That isn't your typical transfer.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Define "survive". Yes, they'll hold games at JHS next fall and field a team. But it could be a 4-8 team. It could mean CBH's credibility is undercut and he is canned.

You guys have too many empty platitudes. 

Empty platitudes? You and your ilk are the ones running around screaming that the sky is falling.

My freshman year at Auburn was Dye's final season. That was pretty miserable with 2 conference wins. Then we got Tater Tot who did well until Dye's players were gone (6 years) and I'm STILL salty about that 1997 SECCG that I was on the sideline for and still dislike Manning because of it.

Auburn. Will. Be. Fine.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, selias said:

I'm sorry, but you are making too much sense.

1 minute ago, selias said:

Empty platitudes? You and your ilk are the ones running around screaming that the sky is falling.

My freshman year at Auburn was Dye's final season. That was pretty miserable with 2 conference wins. Then we got Tater Tot who did well until Dye's players were gone (6 years) and I'm STILL salty about that 1997 SECCG that I was on the sideline for and still dislike Manning because of it.

Auburn. Will. Be. Fine.

That's fine. But a few things have changed since your freshman year.

The SEC is now a 14 team, soon to be 16 team league with OU and Texas. Our top two rivals are on historic runs of recruiting and one is on the greatest run in the history of CFB. Let's not pretend it's as easy to build a contender from scratch as it used to be.

I don't think we can just shrug off bad years anymore. Nowadays, if you lose your footing you get trampled and struggle to get back to your feet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I remember that as well. The bottomline is Auburn is a tier 1 program in a tier 1 conference. You can accomplish the height of all the attainable goals in college football from Auburn.

If you're transferring, it should mean you weren't good enough to crack the lineup, and are finding a lower tier school for PT. 

To have the heart of our offense, 2 SEC Freshmen of the Year, 2 multi-year starters, just say "nah I'm leaving" is seismic, guys. That isn't your typical transfer.

Yeah - this is a big deal no matter how you slice it, and it looks like poor roster management on the surface.  Hopefully today isn't the first time BH has met with Tank after the regular season ended 2 weeks ago.  

I hate to lose either of them but we’ll survive either way. It’s going to work out however it should. I remember the announcement of Wiley and Purifoy being held out a season and thought we were doomed. Then had one of our best seasons ever. So I try not to get too excited either way. As far as having faith in this coaching staff, I really don’t. But I’m pulling hard for them. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

That's fine. But a few things have changed since your freshman year. [1]

The SEC is now a 14 team, soon to be 16 team league with OU and Texas. Our top two rivals are on historic runs of recruiting and one is on the greatest run in the history of CFB. Let's not pretend it's as easy to build a contender from scratch as it used to be.

I don't think we can just shrug off bad years anymore. Nowadays, if you lose your footing you get trampled and struggle to get back to your feet.  [2]

[1] Really? I hadn't noticed. They have these new fangled things like the forward pass, a run-pass option, a transfer portal (is that like a AD&D bag of holding?), and the devil's lettuce doesn't cause hysteria and human sacrifice? Whatever is the world coming to. Next thing you'll tell me is that you don't need to use a phone line to connect to the World Wide Web.

[2] Got it. You're in the instant gratification group.

• Like 2